Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think it is possible to struggle between INFJ, INFP and INTP? All my life, I have been identity-seeking and searching for who I am. I have elements from all the three of them. Thinking a lot about it, I can fit in all three of them, even though in your eyes, they are very, very different from each other.

Do you also think it is possible to change personality through life? Or through small periods of time, like months?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Struggling between INFJ and INFP is DEFINITELY possible xD I spent so long trying to figure out which one I was, until I found INFJ or INFP? a closer look (Are outside links allowed? 0_o If not, I apologise in advance ._.) :D On the other hand, it's not impossible to be confused between INFP/INTP, but in my opinion it's easier to differentiate xD But I'm no expert, so idk! (I'm being useless here but ah well :D) Not sure about INFJ/INTP though.

Not so sure about the second part, I mean both ways make sense. I'm very sure personality isn't genetic so it may be possible that the experiences you go through will maybe alter the way you view things and so on and so on, but at the same time I've read somewhere that since your personality type is what you tend to be more comfortable and feel "at home" doing, so it's basically your "core" that can't be changed. *Shrugs*

I'm sorry if this post was entirely useless :/

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think it's quite common for people to struggle between those types. There are actually many people on this forum who once thought they were INFP but are now quite happy INFJs.

I think what you really need to consider is the cognitive functions. INFP and INFJ are very different in this regard. In terms of cognitive functions it probably easier to mistake an INFP for INTP and vice versa. But still, if you feel kinda stuck with the 4 MBTI letters and multiple options, understanding the cognitive functions will shed some light on your "true type".

·
Registered
102 Posts
This is an article I found for you that might help answer your question(s). Why INFPs, INTPs, INFJs, & INTJs Struggle to Act - Personality Junkie. Also, decide which functions most fit you. For the INFJ it is (Ni, Fe, Ti, Se). INTPs are (Ti, Ne, Si, Fe (I believe)), while INFPs are (Fi, Ne, Si, Te). As for a personality change throughout life, INFJs are more likely become firmer, and more solidified in their views and beliefs as they progress through life. Their dominant Ni functions in a convergent sense, as opposed to a divergent one like Ne. Ne demonstrates possibilities--what ifs. An INFJ's Fe is also strong enough that it supplements the convergent function of Ni into a J-type decisiveness. As for INFPs and INTPs, I think they're more fluid in their ability to adapt and change over the course of their lives. Hope this helps a bit. Rock to the purest!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Knowing the underlying functions helps discerning type, as they can be demonstrated with relative certainty in your thinking and behavior. Infp and Infj are not similar, except that they are under an NF sort of mindset, but operate entirely different.

I don't think Mbti tests really ask questions that have any bearing. Questions like "Do you value mercy over justice". That is such a broad question, and fails to give any context. Its not a useless question, but its not useful either in demonstrating a feeling or thinking preference.

"Do you also think it is possible to change personality through life? Or through small periods of time, like months?"

You can, but it would be a waste of time. That would cause you to be groundless, almost insane. You would excel in nothing, because unfortunately, we don't live forever to spend time that way. Its not a tenable position to live by. I think it would definitely take a lot of time to switch mindsets entirely to something foreign, because it takes time/work/effort/experience/learning. You are better off developing your lesser functions that you are fully aware of and have operated off of, but only to lesser extents. That usually comes with age or high stressors that force the change.

I think you sound sort of Infj-ish

1 - 5 of 5 Posts