Personality Cafe banner

INFJ or INFP?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you ever first test as INFJ and then later test as INFP? and if so, how did you figure out which you really are?
I'm most interested in what you chameleon type of INFPs have to say. :wink:

I need tips (besides the obvious ones)... and some of your personal experiences to help me figure this out!! I can't be the only one.
((fyi If you don't want to read the rest you can stop here))
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've taken the test 4 times ever, and 3/4 of those times I've tested INFJ.. and so have believed myself to be INFJ for 7-8 years... I'm 25 now and in an emotionally healthy place unlike when I've taken the MBTI tests. but now i after looking back at cognitive functions and inter-type relations I'm more confused than ever. If i take the test now I think I'd have trouble being honest with myself. Thanks a lot davesuperpowers:laughing:. I've read A LOT to try and come to my own conclusion (type 5 enneagram here!). Which, for the record, i realize ultimately it doesn't matter. I just want to know what to tell people when they ask about my MBTI type and then proceed to geek out over my ACTUAL function stack for kicks and giggles.
The problem is that I identify with both INFP/INFJ traits. looked at stress points... I've watched videos... inferior Se/Si ..Fi vs Ni....Ti/Te and everything, I have INFP friends and I have INFJ friends. The INFP friendships are more solid than the INFJ ones usually. I've been drawn to both ENFJs and ENFPs. I get along well with (most) ESFJs.... I enjoy ENTPS but I've been hurt too much by both the ones I knew. I find ENTJs intriguing. INTJ's are usually pretty cool to me, too.
I love the arts, psychology, history, music, WRITING, language, spirituality, biology, reading stuff, fashion... i mean i don't know if that helps but yeah lol. That's all i got for now. Thanks for coming ! Your input is desired.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
@Dementedbliss

I mean, there are ways to support which cognitive functions you experience. Like say for example, if you could describe your normal day. Also if you could present an argument for why you're dominant Fi or dominant Ni since you say you associate with both. You could entertain questions that would test for function opposites to see which answers come more easily to you. Etc.

Let's try this: Could you recall a blissful/ecstatic memory from the past? Describe to me the emotions you feel upon recalling the memory. You could describe the memory as well if you wish.

·
Banned
3,147 Posts
Don't overstress about it as half of what goes online about the INFJ type is BS and inaccurate often at the expense of other types.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@UberY0shi

k here goes-

Dom Fi: I'm super in touch with my feelings. I couldn't care less about fitting and I've always been that way. I'm not one to reform to social norms.. I'll just say what I think without thinking it through first. I've had to practice and irritate people to learn to control myself xD also I don't like to control people or be the one to make decisions. I don't care to express how I'm feeling to anyone or justify myself unless it's a close friend that i care about. I can easily disassociate myself with empathy - I feel it, "mirror it" but i can quickly detach from it but still want to help the person suffering. I can get in touch with any emotion I've ever felt at any time if I chose to do so. Even in a car full of people. I can tune them out if i want to. I have no problem expressing when i don't agree so long as it's not going to create an argument.

Dom Ni: I'm not ALWAYS right about something i think might happen, but i definitely trust myself over other peoples opinions because i really do trust my own judgement. And it's usually not something I can explain. I'm an over thinker constantly trying to make the past significant to my present and future life.

Recalling a blissful memory- I feel very nostalgic. It's like reliving the past thinking about it. The music, surroundings, feeling... euphoric and excited but really serene at the same time. A little disappointed as I recall it, tbh. It was with my first love. I miss this memory, I'm sad it's only a memory and I worry i might never feel that again in my life. My stomach feel like it has a magnet inside and it's pulling me to the earth. Hope that's enough.

Reactions: UberY0shi

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@The Edwardian Spirit
THANK YOU! I think that's another reason why I'm getting so confused. There are so many mistyped individuals and so many inaccurate MBTI stereotypes. (Maybe that could be why I prefer lurking on the INFP forum over the INFJ forum even if i am one hah)
It is absolutely crazy how disproportionate INFP information vs INFJ information is all over the internet also.

Any more personal conclusions to share?

Reactions: Anunnaki Spirit
9,999 Posts
I tend to test as INFP but am an INFJ.

You, in my opinion, are not an INFJ.

:happy:

Reactions: bucolic

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Marvin the Dendroid

Hey marvin! Thanks for your post. Could you explain why you think so??
One of my closest friends is an INFJ and he's one of the people keeping me unsure because he insists i'm infj and his mom is infj and he says he knows other infps.... but lol he always says my Te and Fi is more developed than himself... yet still insists i'm INFJ. He just wont entertain otherwise!

I'd love to hear your own subjective reasoning

Reactions: Marvin the Dendroid
9,999 Posts
@Marvin the Dendroid

Hey marvin! Thanks for your post. Could you explain why you think so??
One of my closest friends is an INFJ and he's one of the people keeping me unsure because he insists i'm infj and his mom is infj and he says he knows other infps.... but lol he always says my Te and Fi is more developed than himself... yet still insists i'm INFJ. He just wont entertain otherwise!

I'd love to hear your own subjective reasoning
Mostly, that's the vibe I get from reading you. Your formatting, choice of words. Also your description of your memories. None of the things you said re. dominant Ni sounded particularly Ni-specific. Type 5 INFJs quite often tend to sound almost INTJ-like until you get to know them better, and I'm not noticing that with you so far.

I saw you mentioned Davesuperpowers - his system is very different from the official MBTI, in fact any other personality theory really. I haven't watched enough to understand how exactly, but I notice him typing people very differently from everyone else.

:happy:

·
Registered
331 Posts
I also get an INFP "vibe" from you, but it's really not worth much without more information.

Could you possibly post a video of yourself talking about something (anything)?
Or, you could watch videos of INFPs and INFJs and see what you relate to more, in terms of speech, gestures, content, etc.

Personally, I think I've only known one INFJ in my life and it was a childhood friend with whom I'm not in contact anymore. So it's hard to tell what INFJs are really like (since most so-called INFJs online are mistyped and most descriptions of the type are... um, not really helpful).

BUT from what I can "intuitively tell" about the type and from the things I've seen online, they seem more grounded, more controlled in speech and manners and have a kind of "poise" to them that INFPs don't. As J types, their speech seems more careful and structured. INFPs on the other hand, tend to have a very flighty, scattered presence and a speech that shoots in all directions, often noticing things around them that are irrelevant to the conversation, and moving hands and eyes a lot.

Hope this helps a little!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Exquis

Hmm... I know 3 INFJS right now; 2 male 1 female. And I know 4 INFPS. 3 female 1 male. All different ages but who knows, they could be mistyped. The oldest -confirmed- INFP i know is in her 60's shes type 9 and very poised. The oldest INFJ male I know is in his mid 30's and our INTP friend tells him he he reminds her of a british nanny!!! LOL. Unfortunately I'm sick right now coughing like crazy so I can't do a video. :laughing: Maybe sometime though. I recently did a "what's my type" form so I'll post it below.

Thanks for stopping by!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?Lately i feel very in touch with my emotions. I can't make a solid plan with my life. I like to keep my options open.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
Quality Love and Friendships. That's what makes me feel safe and content.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
I got up on a stage and gave a personal experience not once but twice in front of 1,000 people. I felt put together, i felt special for being chosen to do it, and i felt like i could really help someone and make a difference for someone in the crowd.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
When my thoughts and feelings and contributions aren't valued

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
I try to think about all three of those things. First I access my feelings and then make a pros and cons list to keep the rational part of me included and not do something with bad consequences. I will think of people as I'm making the pros and cons list criteria.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
Yes. I like things to be cohesive and aesthetically pleasing. I'm usually someone who cares more than other group mates for say a group project in college. I've ended up taking the lead for the last 2... which i don't like doing... but i care about the outcome enough to do it.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
Went to Cancun with my friend. I remember relaxing on beach with drinks laughing at a photographer harassing us together lol!! I was basically roasting him and she was cracking up.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
I'm definitely hands on. Explain things to me as I do it or after I do it wrong.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
I'm not the most organized but to be organized is an important goal of mine! I'm getting better as I'm getting older.
10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
Both? I guess My first inclination is the latter because we live in an era of information like never before so now I really don't trust anything I read without proven legitimate sources.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
Both!! But also if someone isn't doing fine and there's nothing i can do then I don't feel responsible. I can only REALLY control the latter. Everyone is responsible for their own attitude.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
It really depends. If it's daily meaningless convo then usually I'll speak without thinking. If I think it's an important topic to either myself or everyone then I'll try give thought to what I'm about to say.Then sometimes I just cant find the words I want.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
I like to know where I'm jumping. I do think actions speak louder than words 100%.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
Record my show and go out! Then I can have fun now AND later :D
OR
Ask them what they wanted to do... if it's something i don't want to do or don't want to spend money on then i'll just stay home.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
I binge clean or cook a lot. Or shop around online for the perfect ____ that meets all of my ideal criteria and see if it exists

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
Selfishness. Egotism. Thoughtless. People who just use others for what they want.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
Anything they enjoy talking about I tend to enjoy listening. Because they get excited and happy and their personal expression makes it enjoyable for me! And maybe I'll learn something new too

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life
Probably keeping my living space clean.. or something else I literally just never noticed

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
By friends do you mean close ones or casual ones?
No one would probably call me an angry person

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Enjoy a beer. Do something with a close friend if they have the time. relax. Maybe pull out my guitar.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
[...]

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
Went to Cancun with my friend. I remember relaxing on beach with drinks laughing at a photographer harassing us together lol!! I was basically roasting him and she was cracking up. [...]
An INFJ would characteristically be entering into the photographer's feelings (via Fe), seeing the situation from his/her point of view, and so would be much less likely to be "roasting" or laughing at him or her; and the beach being (I assume) a public place, making one's self conspicuous through laughing and hilarity would also be uncharacteristic. In public, we tend to sit in shadows, observe from a distance, and ponder.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
@odinthor
I know exactly what you're talking about!! I'm like that usually.
But In this situation I had too much to drink :laughing:

Edit: Do you though, as a sober INFJ ever roast people jokingly? When people do it to me I fire right back personally.

Reactions: odinthor

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I test fairly frequently as INFP, but on some, especially function tests, as an FJ, especially INFJ, ENFJ, or even ESFJ. As an enneagram 6 and social-first, I tend to be more J-like than the average INFP; I am fairly social and structure-seeking, as far as INFPs go. My P preference is mild, the weakest preference of the four dichotomies for me. I was particularly confused by function tests, where I sometimes related more to Ne than Fi, and often very much to Fe, and even Si. I have greatly moved away from functions now, personally, and prefer the simple dichotomies. And in simple dichotomies, my type is fairly easy: I am a mild introvert, moderate intuitive, strong feeler, and mild perceiver, INFP.

To me, your writing style (seems kind of impulsive, stop-and-start, scattered, lots of personal experience) seems more INFP than INFJ, which is typically more direct, universal, and structured. My own personal experience is that I think getting "back to basics" is easiest when it comes to type. Are you more of a J, or more of a P? Do you actively create and maintain structure in your external life (J), or do you tend to adapt to structure that is already present in your external life (P)?

myersbriggs.org said:
Judging (J)
I use my decision-making (Judging) preference (whether it is Thinking or Feeling) in my outer life. To others, I seem to prefer a planned or orderly way of life, like to have things settled and organized, feel more comfortable when decisions are made, and like to bring life under control as much as possible.

Since this pair only describes what I prefer in the outer world, I may, inside, feel flexible and open to new information (which I am).

Do not confuse Judging with judgmental, in its negative sense about people and events. They are not related.

The following statements generally apply to me:
I like to have things decided.
I appear to be task oriented.
I like to make lists of things to do.
I like to get my work done before playing.
I plan work to avoid rushing just before a deadline.
Sometimes I focus so much on the goal that I miss new information.
Perceiving (P)
I use my perceiving function (whether it is Sensing or Intuition) in my outer life. To others, I seem to prefer a flexible and spontaneous way of life, and I like to understand and adapt to the world rather than organize it. Others see me staying open to new experiences and information.

Since this pair only describes what I prefer in the outer world, inside I may feel very planful or decisive (which I am).

Remember, in type language perceiving means "preferring to take in information." It does not mean being "perceptive" in the sense of having quick and accurate perceptions about people and events.

The following statements generally apply to me:
I like to stay open to respond to whatever happens.
I appear to be loose and casual. I like to keep plans to a minimum.
I like to approach work as play or mix work and play.
I work in bursts of energy.
I am stimulated by an approaching deadline.
Sometimes I stay open to new information so long I miss making decisions when they are needed.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@angelfish

Thanks for sharing your experience! I was waiting to hear from INFPs that have typed as others.

My initial response is that i prefer to adapt with structures that have already been put in place. Planning is stressful for me. But i do like to know whats going on to make it is efficient as possible. I try and plan work to avoid rushing. When things aren't very efficient i do get quickly annoyed. I love Marie Kondo for helping me organize my life... i need to make lists and keep event on my calendar or I will forget about them. I'm also bad at keeping track of time (though i know that is both an INFJ and INFP characteristic..)
Does this resonate with you?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
@angelfish

Thanks for sharing your experience! I was waiting to hear from INFPs that have typed as others.

My initial response is that i prefer to adapt with structures that have already been put in place. Planning is stressful for me. But i do like to know whats going on to make it is efficient as possible. I try and plan work to avoid rushing. When things aren't very efficient i do get quickly annoyed. I love Marie Kondo for helping me organize my life... i need to make lists and keep event on my calendar or I will forget about them. I'm also bad at keeping track of time (though i know that is both an INFJ and INFP characteristic..)
I’m just going to be a typical ENTP trouble maker and point out your the splitting image of an ENFP. Most of them think their introverts BTW. Your come across as a typical in the moment, disorganised Ne dom. Both 4s and 5s are tilted towards introversion from their ambiverted natural state.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
@angelfish

Somewhat, yes. It sounds more P overall, at least to me - I understand where @Shrodingers drink's ENFP impression is coming from.

Personally, I generally find planning stress-relieving rather than stressful (in fact, I find it quite pleasing - probably linked with being 6w7). Accordingly, I almost always plan my work, but I sometimes have trouble keeping it on track. I really strongly associate with working/playing in bursts, and I think I shine much more as a last-minute responder than a daily maintainer. I also get annoyed at lack of efficiency, and can/will take charge when that is the case - though once things are righted, I prefer to quickly step away from that role. I, too, treasure my calendars and struggle with time management. (I tend to think Marie Kondo would likely type as an INFJ, by the way!)

FWIW, my husband (ISFJ) also says that his natural inclination is to adapt, but he feels more "compelled" to create/enact routines and other external organization than me. He is also much better at time awareness and management than me. I think he is a moderate J, and a laid-back e9.

One other thing occurred to me... I think there is usually a fairly clear "tonal" difference between the two, at least when you're not talking about two people who are very close on the J-P scale. Here, for example, are two rather clear INFx, one rather clearly INFP and the other INFJ... even not being super keen on functions, I do think this is a great video showing FJ and FP differences in behavior, and even just overall tonality. You can see how INFJ Carey Mulligan is more poised and elegant, is keener to her human surroundings, and is overall more put-together than INFP Andrew Garfield, who has a more casual and less aware but very genuine and endearing vibe. INFJs are the ones you want to coordinate and host your world-saving mission. INFPs are the ones you want writing the fiery, heartfelt editorials behind the scenes.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
@angelfish

That's a good point you make about planning. We do it to RELIEVE stress. I guess i was imagining myself having to throw a party or something. I shudder at the idea lol. I have read that INFPs are pretty routine oriented and its their thoughts and ideas that are open and exploratory. I relate to that for sure. I know I'm not an ENFP though hahahah sorry @Shrodingers drink !

I've seen this video before but all it really shows is him telling a story to an audience and then copying how his friend is sitting which doesn't necessary indicate Fi imho. And Carry barely says anything so i can't tell whether or not she would also "check in" with the audience like he did if she was sharing her own thoughts. Because everyone does that to some extent, you know? And if Andrew sat first and crossed his legs, whose not to say that Carry may have ended up doing the same thing with Fe? So I don't know what to make of this video.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts