Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A moment of your time, if you would.

I'm having difficulties typing myself. I had originally thought I was an INFJ, and a myriad of tests came back and indicated I'm an INTJ. That my Ni is dominant isn't really questionable, and neither is the "Se" wild side where I'll go temporarily insane. So it really does boil down to INTJ or INFJ. Enneagram testing indicates a split between type 1, type 5, and type 8... so that's not much help.

Things that make me believe I could be an INTJ:

- My Te is well developed, and I use it liberally on the job.
- I try to make things as efficient as possible.
- I tend to strongly value specific traits and beliefs, and back this up with action (indicative of Fi).
- I don't tend to mind if I hurt feelings too much, and it's very hard to hurt my feelings (Ni objectivity?).
- When I was a kid, I was busy taking apart toys - not so much thinking or caring about people.

Things that tend to be more INFJish:

- I really do care about select people on an individual level, and want them to grow - pretty nurturing.
- I can be pretty gregarious really... or at the very least diplomatic.
- I'm more interested in the humanities than most INTJ's seem to be, and less so in hard sciences.
- I get the knight in shining (rusty) armor complex, and typically fight for the underdog.
- I can be somewhat romantic.

A few years ago I took in a very kind and intelligent battered woman and nursed her back to health - mentally, physically, and emotionally. It took both care and tough love to get her back together again, but it worked. This inspired me to push my limits in every way, and was a very rewarding experience in all aspects. Reading the INTJ forums, some seem remarkably eager to enjoy being cold. Some seem schizoid. So I have reservations if they would perform the same actions, and I end up identifying with the INFJ side of the boards much more.

So first off - what do you think, given the information presented? Would I be an INTJ with a heart, or an INFJ?

Secondly, I see a number of people here saying they are INFJ/INTJ hybrids, or INxJ, or .. sometimes INFJ- sometimes INTJ. Why do you think that is?

Thank you in advance. :happy:

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
To me, you seem as if you could be an INFJ. Those INTJ characteristics could point to your tertiary Ti.
As for being action oriented, that could indicate INFJ. My mom's an INFJ and she seems to look at actions or performance as a show of how much you care about something or how much you value it. That's not something I'd associate with Fi. If you can match that, then I'd especially lean toward INFJ.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I posted a thread like this recently, about 2 weeks ago maybe, about whether I was INFJ or INTJ. So I relate to where you are coming from. For me, I was able to reach the conclusion that I was an INFJ, though I exercised certain functions.

It's really up to you to figure things out, so you can take my thoughts with a grain of salt. :) From your post, I get a general sense of reason and calmness. And given the information you present, I'd say that you are a compassionate INTJ. Everything about your post is very rationally and logically presented. I'm sure INFJs could write a post like that, but I think we tend to think in circles to reach a similar point, whereas your post is more straightforward and clearly set forth logically.

Also, I think that you sensed the eagerness to be cold from the INTJ thread, and was turned off by this mentality, given your compassionate nature. Or it could be that you recently had some encounters with an Extroverted Thinker? For me, there were two reasons that put me in a dilemma. First was my encounter with Extroverted Feelers - although I am a feeler myself, I was just overwhlemed and turned off by the intensity and instability of outwardly expressed emotions. Second was some threads on the INFJ forum - for a while, I got a general sense of a lot of whining and I got put off by it (another INFJ, if i remember correctly, pointed this out and I remember agreeing). Don't get me wrong though - I whine a lot, and I think a lot, too, but I sensed an eagerness to whine (much like how you sensed the eagerness to be cold), and I think when certain negative traits are like that are accentuated by some people, it can put any type off. Imagine putting a magnifying glass on someone's flaws - something to that effect. I noticed that this happens on most of the different forums - certain periods where the people on there tend to go off on a wave that accentuates their negative traits, and sometimes I found myself caught in that wave myself. Anyway- based on those two things and things in my life at that point, I needed a voice of reason and more stability, so I turned to wiser INFJs's threads or looked at IxTJ threads.

Anyway, feel free to hang around both forums. I found that it helped when I could really relate to others' perspectives on here. :)

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
A very large % of INFJs (including me) are INFJ/INTJ hybrids.

My thoughts... we'd be overwhelmed if we lived exclusively in the world of "feelings" without being able to escape to cold rationality here and there.

What makes an INFJ/INTJ hybrid like me or you belong distinctly into the INFJ catagory is that we still feel powerfully, even if we're escaping in rationality.

We still maintain the INJF spirit.

·
Registered
836 Posts
As mentioned, both types have dominant intuition. I personally notice a kindred spirit in INTJ. We seem to get along pretty well - probably due to the shared dominance in intuition.

As far as the differences you mention - I think the *BIG* difference between NFs and NTs is empathy. Do you ever pause in conversation and wonder if the person you are talking to is listening? Have you been able to pick up on social cues *without* having to be explicitly told about them? If you are oblivious to the comfort of others, my guess is that you are more NT.

An example of this is my INTJ friend who will keep talking to people, long after they have stopped listening. She will even awkwardly linger in a space after I let the conversation die (by crossing my arms, avoiding eye contact, and i stop talking altogether). An INFJ would've picked up the direction of the conversation waaaay before that 'dead' point.

Also, a general observation, as much as I love INTJs, they are awkward people. More awkward than INFJs. INTJs are less likely to be understood by peers, less likely to fit in to a group just because they should. INFJs don't *really* fit into society, but I think we are pretty excellent at faking it.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Right, are you more suited to subtle cues in body language and interaction, or more refining ideas, whether bringing them together, and/or pointing out the weakest link?

Do you have an "inner circle?" What do they mean to you? Do you care about how they view you, or do you just go with the flow?

·
Registered
INFP
1,318 Posts
I can relate about you are saying here. I've been questioning between F/T as well. When I was in the INTJ forum there were a few points where I could see myself disagreeing with. I'm not thinking all the time like other people were saying they were. I mean I'm not an empty bottle by any mean but my brain is not going through intense questioning/thinking all the time. I also found that I was much less oriented on learning than other user. I love to learn 1 or 2 subject at a time over a certain period of time but I wont try to learn in depth and go as far as reading numerous books on a subject. I might read 1 maybe 2 if I'm very interested. I know these are factual stuff that dont mean much alone, but if you add them up it makes sense. Well at least to me.

Also, I'm quite a caring person and I dont simply want to improve stuff only for the sake of improvement. I want to have an impact in this world and make the life of people change in a good way. I find myself often worrying for person around me and even people I dont really know. Every day I walk by people and I can't help but wishing them a good life and stuff even if I dont know them. I just want people to be happy.

I can see why the INFJ wasn't a people were I could relate much at first. There was way too much fluff and NF love going around for my taste but you get use to it. I think I've been repressing my feeling for the last 7 years (maybe longer?).. I was pretty pissed at humanity (being often look at in not desirable way, also being scared about woman [it's true!] and feeling much different from everyone else) and could not simply care enough about other people so I was behaving as such in a more cold/rational kind of way. I found quite recently though that it wasn't my real nature, I'm a nice person and since I've started to pay more attention to my feeling. I found that I was more able to relate to other people and have a more develop kind of small talk conversation going. Also, I smile a lot more and people who walk by me dont look down on me anymore.

I guess since I've repressed my emotional side for so long my F must be quite weak but at the same time it's good to have develop T in the mean time. I can have the best of both rational function.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for sharing, especially Mestarious. It really has been enlightening, as you helped me see from a new angle.. or at least one I have been trying to avoid seeing. After pondering this for a while, and a little extra searching, it seems I've been living in some shadow functions for the past 13 years. Not for the same reasons, but for an old scar (and I'll leave it at that).

But looking at the INFJ shadow functions, it's right there.. plain as day. Secondary Fi and Tertiary Te. Just when I was going to ask what the heck type of personality Ni->Fi->Te->Se was. I guess I've managed to turn these particular shadow functions into something more positive over this time.

So thank you all again. Looks like I have some things to figure out.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
The INFJs who think they are INTJ hydribs are in fact exercising their Ti at the moment not Te in most cases. Conceptually the differences between Ti and Te are more difficult to understand than Fe and Fi. The difference that I stumble upon most frequently is that Fe is extraverted feeling and it makes you care for a group of people, want to belong to a group, want to keep the conflict down, care for emotional wellbeing of others. Fe is usually decently expressed in INFJs being their auxiliary function. Fi is introverted feeling and in INTJs and their tertiary one. It is more about what do I personally as individual feel is wrong, picking between situations that are emotionally uplifting to me as an individual over those that are emotionally upsetting to me. As such I have seen INTJs retreat from group conflict where their own emotions were directly hurt somehow. INFJs to the contrary are more prone to dismissing slights against themselves, but if somebody else was hurt they can be prompted to speak up and defend that person if they feel social norms were violated. INFJs can also experience a need to associate with a group of people while INTJs and INFPs do not understand this need and are much more 'individualized' so to say and prone to viewing themselves as a separate unit rather than a part of a greater whole.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
I have also the same dilemma as you are. I'm on the borderline between T and F. When I tested again, I verified I am an INTJ with a developed F. Developed earlier than most INTJs. You have to read various personality profiles of INTJs and INFJs to learn which type you lean most. Even if the three letters are the same, one type over the other are much much different. I think you should also research how INFJ and INTJ relates to another person, and what is the MOST important thing to them.

I'm gonna read and post at NF forum to research again regarding my type to ask what's the most important thing to them. Although in many tests, I resulted in INTJ, I should research again to gain better knowledge of the differences between two types because in other tests I was aware of the characteristics of INTJ. My research is not done yet.

·
MOTM October 2013
6,445 Posts
I have also the same dilemma as you are. I'm on the borderline between T and F. When I tested again, I verified I am an INTJ with a developed F. Developed earlier than most INTJs. You have to read various personality profiles of INTJs and INFJs to learn which type you lean most. Even if the three letters are the same, one type over the other are much much different. I think you should also research how INFJ and INTJ relates to another person, and what is the MOST important thing to them.

I'm gonna read and post at NF forum to research again regarding my type to ask what's the most important thing to them. Although in many tests, I resulted in INTJ, I should research again to gain better knowledge of the differences between two types because in other tests I was aware of the characteristics of INTJ. My research is not done yet.
Something interesting I just noticed; I wonder if it's Te/Fe related.

When you say you're trying to figure out your type, you go and do research. When the OP is trying to figure out his type, he goes and asks other people. A preference for "tested" scientific proof (Te) vs. a preference for what is commonly accepted (Fe)?

I don't know if that holds up as a way of telling the two types apart, but it just struck me. As for the OP, you seem to be more of an INFJ with a developed Ti function. You mention nurturing this woman back to health. My mother is INTJ, and I can't see her doing that. Loving the woman and offering help to her, but not going out of her way to really get that woman's feet back under her. Her help would be more practical things, like straightening up their desk or making sure the house is quiet when the person needs alone time. It's more of an INFJ thing to really "pry" into a person's heart and soul, feel connected to that person on all levels, and then help through puzzling out their confusing emotions with them. On the other hand, my INTJ mom's love is a lot more detached, with the sense that if the other person can't make it on their own, there's no way she can help except by damage control.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Something interesting I just noticed; I wonder if it's Te/Fe related.

When you say you're trying to figure out your type, you go and do research. When the OP is trying to figure out his type, he goes and asks other people. A preference for "tested" scientific proof (Te) vs. a preference for what is commonly accepted (Fe)?

I don't know if that holds up as a way of telling the two types apart, but it just struck me. As for the OP, you seem to be more of an INFJ with a developed Ti function. You mention nurturing this woman back to health. My mother is INTJ, and I can't see her doing that. Loving the woman and offering help to her, but not going out of her way to really get that woman's feet back under her. Her help would be more practical things, like straightening up their desk or making sure the house is quiet when the person needs alone time. It's more of an INFJ thing to really "pry" into a person's heart and soul, feel connected to that person on all levels, and then help through puzzling out their confusing emotions with them. On the other hand, my INTJ mom's love is a lot more detached, with the sense that if the other person can't make it on their own, there's no way she can help except by damage control.
I do research about my type and comparing different personality profiles of INTJs and INFJs, and found out that I lean towards more INTJ because of the commonality for the love of achievement and working and competency, and detachness from people. INFJ on the other hand seemed to be like by the people they surround with. I am not to be honest. But I still have to "dig" more.

The bolded parts. I didn't say this. You are replying to the one who started this thread.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I think Ni + Ti working together can mimic Te to create the sense of efficiency. In the case of INFJ, it's Ni constantly suggesting something, and Ti shooting down all the suggestions which don't make sense. In the case of INTJ, Te just naturally assumes the most efficient course based on the time and resources used.

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
you sound INFJ or borderline INxJ. one of my close friends is an INTJ, and i know other INTJs, and while they also care about people, it manifests itself in different ways than INFJ empathy. the 'rescue complex' is more exclusively INFJ (rather than INTJ) in nature; we are naturally drawn to broken people and find great fulfillment in restoring them to health. :)

all of us are tempered by our environment and experiences...and sometimes our circumstances require or facilitate our development of other cognitive functions, while suppressing the use of others. i would venture to guess that your Te was not always as strong as it is now? and what are the personality types of your family members and friends who had the most influence on you as a kid? for instance, i know i have traits/developed functions that are atypically INFJ simply because of the heavy influence of my ESTJ father in my life, not just as a kid but as an adult (he has mentored me somewhat in my career since we're both in the same career field) - so i can come off Te-ish at times when it is necessary. (it doesn't show on this forum, but you should see me at my job when asked to lead, or when something absolutely has to be done and people are not cooperating. lol)

and we INFJs can detach from our emotions (not fully, but to a degree) when we go into the Ni-Ti loop. when i'm excessively stressed out, i feel like i'm behaving more like an INTJ than an INFJ (not sure how it looks from the outside though)...sort of like you can get lost in Ni thought and be less aware of the people around you, you can get lost in Ni-Ti and lose sight of Fe. Fe isn't gone - it's under a pile of other stuff that is occupying your psyche at the moment.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts