Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm fairly new to the whole MBTI thing, but some things completely draw me in, and as psychology in general and personality psychology in particular is one of them, I've managed to read a lot about most types in a few days. Several tests and my own sense of things tell me I classify more as INFJ than ISFJ, but although I know the two are quite fundamentally different, I actually struggle a bit with the difference in myself.

See, my problem is, as much as I love experimenting I also have quite structured patterns as to how I do things. For instance, I have clear routines for what I do every morning - I always brush my teeth BEFORE breakfast, for example. At the same time, though, I quite like varying WHAT I eat. In cooking, I experiment, but I always have a firm idea of how I would usually do it. Following instructions so that I wash dishes in a very particular order, for instance, is also quite important to me - I can find significant enjoyment in detail, which is more of an S-side characteristic. Things have to be clean and tidy around me and I prefer when they are in the "right" place, so in that sense I am quite detailed.

Another issue I have with the S/N thing is that I memorize things fairly easily - that is, if they interest me. I do psychology at school, and I excel at remembering psychological studies (but rather the method and general results than the percentages who got this and that). I also find it relatively easy to remember the name of the researcher if I make a plan for associating it with something in the study. On the other hand, I cannot for the life of me remember physical appearances. The other day my friend and I went to the bank and he left his keys. When we had left, he called them to find out if they were there, and they asked who he had talked to. He said he did not remember the name but gave a perfect description of her appearance. I, on the other hand, could not for the life of me even remember her hair color. I also have a hard time finding my way to places even if they are familiar because I do not easily recall what the roads look like. However, in my school subjects, I only have to read a text once or twice to recall it perfectly, sometimes even word by word.

I am great at remembering birthdays of people very dear and significant to me, although the slightly less significant ones will only be remembered because I am structured enough to write it down and plan it (hello J). I am, however, terrible at noticing a new haircut, for instance, often only seeing it after it is pointed out to me or sometimes even a week or two later. Don't ask me why!

The third and last aspect that really confuses me - I DO NOT AT ALL remember in terms of images. My creativity is not particularly visual, rather in terms of creative writing, poetry, that kind of thing. I imagine words as they are spelled (languages and literature are among my strongest subjects), no matter how complex, really.

So - any more experienced perspectives on my personality?

·
Registered
25,985 Posts
Doing things the same way doesn't necessarily mean anything. IMO you could just be OCD or something, who knows, lol.

Have you taken a Jungian cognitive functions test? There's a good one at similarminds that I read about from lurking an INTP thread(I say this so much I should dig that thread up and give the OP royalties).

I would probably start there to see where your preference is.

Reactions: Windblownhair

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
This is a tough one. While the most common confusion seems to be between INFP and INFJ I think, base on self reflection, interaction with others, and reading up, that the INFJ/ISFJ confusion is actually more prevalent, regardless of whether or not people recognize it.

I would highly recommend Michael Pierce's videos on the types.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You won't know what type you truly are until you understand functions, or in the least, take a functions test (Jungian Cognitive Functions Test) and post your results here.

Reactions: chanteuse

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yeah, I often hear jokes about my OCD tendencies!

Te (Extroverted Thinking) (60%)
your valuation of / adherence to logic of external systems / hierarchies / methods

Ti (Introverted Thinking) (80%)
your valuation of / adherence to your own internally devised logic/rational

Ne (Extroverted Intuition) (65%)
your valuation of / tendency towards free association and creating with external stimuli

Ni (Introverted Intuition) (35%)
your valuation of / tendency towards internal/original free association and creativity

Se (Extroverted Sensing) (15%)
your valuation of / tendency to fully experience the world unfiltered, in the moment

Si (Introverted Sensing) (35%)
your valuation of / focus on internal sensations and reliving past moments

Fe (Extroverted Feeling) (100%)
your valuation of / adherence to external morals, ethics, traditions, customs, groups

Fi (Introverted Feeling) (85%)
your valuation of / adherence to the sanctity of your own feelings / ideals / sentiment

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
based on your results your type is likely - unclear

·
Registered
535 Posts
Far from an expert here, but i'll give you my 5 cents to see whether it sparks something :)

See, my problem is, as much as I love experimenting I also have quite structured patterns as to how I do things. For instance, I have clear routines for what I do every morning - I always brush my teeth BEFORE breakfast, for example. At the same time, though, I quite like varying WHAT I eat. In cooking, I experiment, but I always have a firm idea of how I would usually do it. Following instructions so that I wash dishes in a very particular order, for instance, is also quite important to me - I can find significant enjoyment in detail, which is more of an S-side characteristic. Things have to be clean and tidy around me and I prefer when they are in the "right" place, so in that sense I am quite detailed.
In what i've seen structured patterns tend to be more of an Te- thing. Especially things having "a right place" is an efficiency system focused thing, it ensures you don't have to waste time looking for things (which is a bit of an issue of mine). Following instructions is also quite a Te-thing. The dishes is slightly less telling because you just might have been raised like that.
It doesn't tell us anything about INFJ or ISFJ, but it might mean that we don't just have to look at these two types.

Another issue I have with the S/N thing is that I memorize things fairly easily - that is, if they interest me. I do psychology at school, and I excel at remembering psychological studies (but rather the method and general results than the percentages who got this and that). I also find it relatively easy to remember the name of the researcher if I make a plan for associating it with something in the study. On the other hand, I cannot for the life of me remember physical appearances. The other day my friend and I went to the bank and he left his keys. When we had left, he called them to find out if they were there, and they asked who he had talked to. He said he did not remember the name but gave a perfect description of her appearance. I, on the other hand, could not for the life of me even remember her hair color. I also have a hard time finding my way to places even if they are familiar because I do not easily recall what the roads look like. However, in my school subjects, I only have to read a text once or twice to recall it perfectly, sometimes even word by word.
Se is more about picking up things surroundings. Si is about what's going on inside yourself.
The fact that you can't recall a hair colour doesn't necessarily mean that you're not an S-type. The perfectly recalling things is more Si.

The third and last aspect that really confuses me - I DO NOT AT ALL remember in terms of images. My creativity is not particularly visual, rather in terms of creative writing, poetry, that kind of thing. I imagine words as they are spelled (languages and literature are among my strongest subjects), no matter how complex, really.

So - any more experienced perspectives on my personality?
This is the one thing that makes me think you might not be an INFJ. I always think in images. Whether it's about future things to come, or even memories, they come in visuals. They're blurry (a bit like old pictures) because the details aren't there. But there is a visual and often a certain atmosphere attached to it. That's why i find it so hard to 'talk' because it means i have to find words to cover that image and they often lack the right atmosphere.

From what i read about INFJs and Ni in general it is an imaginative and visual function.
Words tend to be much more concrete.

When you read poetry, what happens? Do you especially like the words and the flow, or does in conjure images in your mind?

In all honestly, there is nothing superclear coming from the above. I'm getting both Se and Si, and some Te. ISFP could even be an option. The test you posted below seems equally confused.

Perhaps you should answer all the questions that they have listed in the "Type me" thread so we have more to go on?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Before i forget: don't be mistaken by the J/P thing. For introverts it doesn't quite work in a "planned versus spontaneous" fashion like it does for extraverts.

IxxP's dominant function is a judging function but they show perceiving to the outside world. To oversimplify, it means they often come across as much more open-minded than they are (inside their head they're quite stubborn in what they know to be true/valid).

IxxJ's are the opposite. Their dominant function is perceiving, but they show judging to the outside world. It means we're often more open-minded than people think. To give an example, when it's just about me, i like empty schedules, i'm quite messy and i decide what i will do quite spontaneously. But when others are involved, i want to know, what is needed by when, who will be there, what will happen, ...
My INTP brother is the opposite: he comes across as super open-minded, but in reality he is more stubborn than i will ever be.

You come across as very organized and structured, but as i said above, that's more a Te-thing than a J-thing.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have thought this as well when it comes to my personality type. I thought that I might be a INFP, ISFJ so far. But there further along I go there more that I come to a better understanding of myself and who I am. Every single test I have taken as always been INFJ, and when taking the test I try as best as possible to answer them all to what I truly feel rather than in the back of my mind making the answers to conform to the INFJ type and such.

I think though that with some other personalities that there will be some similarites that will make it seem to others that they are that type when in reality they are not. I think it just goes back to getting to know oneself a little bit better.

I took the test in this thread again and results below. I continue to search and seek for who I am in a world that I am so lost in.

Te (Extroverted Thinking) (45%)
your valuation of / adherence to logic of external systems / hierarchies / methods

Ti (Introverted Thinking) (45%)
your valuation of / adherence to your own internally devised logic/rational

Ne (Extroverted Intuition) (75%)
your valuation of / tendency towards free association and creating with external stimuli

Ni (Introverted Intuition) (90%)
your valuation of / tendency towards internal/original free association and creativity

Se (Extroverted Sensing) (20%)
your valuation of / tendency to fully experience the world unfiltered, in the moment

Si (Introverted Sensing) (80%)
your valuation of / focus on internal sensations and reliving past moments

Fe (Extroverted Feeling) (80%)
your valuation of / adherence to external morals, ethics, traditions, customs, groups

Fi (Introverted Feeling) (85%)
your valuation of / adherence to the sanctity of your own feelings / ideals / sentiment

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
based on your results your type is likely - infj

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is the one thing that makes me think you might not be an INFJ. I always think in images. Whether it's about future things to come, or even memories, they come in visuals. They're blurry (a bit like old pictures) because the details aren't there. But there is a visual and often a certain atmosphere attached to it. That's why i find it so hard to 'talk' because it means i have to find words to cover that image and they often lack the right atmosphere.

From what i read about INFJs and Ni in general it is an imaginative and visual function.
Words tend to be much more concrete.

When you read poetry, what happens? Do you especially like the words and the flow, or does in conjure images in your mind?
Thank you all so much! I am currently sat in a café with great wifi (currently traveling, so struggling a bit to find that) and I'm reading up properly on the functions and the functional stack of several of the types. I think what I'm struggling a bit with is that I seem to think "Oh, this is so me!" almost no matter what I read about...

Anyway, the question about what happens when I read poetry sparked my interest, I really had to sit down and think that through. My answer might seem really weird and confusing, but here goes! So, I definitely do see images, it's just that they're so "blurry" I almost feel like they are more of a feeling than an image. I read some Browning the other day and whenever I think about that poem I can see the surroundings, the cottage in which it was set, I'm getting the "mood" of the place, but I cannot "see" any details. In the poem, which is a rather eerie and strange one, a woman is strangled with her own hair, but all I can "see" in my head when I think about the poem is her hair, it is as if I can't hold on to her face, it slips my mind, I don't get details. This always happens with me and poetry. I relate to it and remember it in terms of an overall emotion, a few unclear non-detailed images, sometimes accompanied by powerful lines that "stick" in my head. Symbolic, imagistic language is what "sticks" the easiest because I feel it captures that essence, in a way. And now I'm rambling, but anyway!

Another example: a year, week or month will "look like" something in my head. I know where November is in the context of a year and what it "looks like", but I could NEVER draw it for you. If someone drew the week the way I see it in my head I would immediately be able to point it out, but I can't pinpoint what it looks like to me, what colours it has, again because it is feelings and images mixed together.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
I'm INFJ and my SO is ISFJ but while there are shared functions, we aren't quite the same. Actually, based on my own experience, I think there are significant differences between the two. For one, Extroverted Sensing, which INFJs do not have. I am literally blind to this function. I always seek the meanings behind things, and fail to see the things themselves. Which is opposite for her. She's a traditionalist, I'm unconventional. We are both aware of this and we try to reach common ground. I'd expect INFJ to be confused with INFP, but never with ISFJ. The fact that you're so self aware and interested in your type makes me believe you're INFJ because an ISFJ cares much less about the type.

Answer me this: Let's say every year you get together for Christmas dinner or what ever holiday you celebrate. Every year. Same people come every year, same interactions, same discussions, same feelings you have towards those people.

Now, this year it's different. Nobody is coming or almost nobody. Or you're not going. How does that make you feel? Sad? Happy?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Answer me this: Let's say every year you get together for Christmas dinner or what ever holiday you celebrate. Every year. Same people come every year, same interactions, same discussions, same feelings you have towards those people.

Now, this year it's different. Nobody is coming or almost nobody. Or you're not going. How does that make you feel? Sad? Happy?
Okay, so I love traditions, I really do (although the "same conversations" part sort of made me cringe haha). But I think I love them more because they mean spending time with people I love - like, one year we went to Thailand for Christmas, and as much as it was kind of sad missing out on some things (going to my sister's grave, for instance) I didn't at all mind missing other things (the food) because I was with my family anyway. But I would much rather have snow and Christmas trees than beaches, I can tell you that now that I've tried both! I don't know, all of these "do you like traditions" questions really confuse me... because I do, but that doesn't mean I want to have the same thing for dinner every Tuesday or that I have to spend every National Day in the same place.

Also, I completed one of the questionnaires! And I'll post it as soon as my computer agrees to connect to some wifi

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Perhaps you should answer all the questions that they have listed in the "Type me" thread so we have more to go on?
1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

Okay I think this one is fairly well answered up here? The I is no problem, because although I am social and relatively outgoing being with people for a prolonged time period completely drains my energy. I only “recharge” when I am on my own. T/F is also not too hard, almost all of my decisions are based on mine or other people’s emotions. As for the J/P I am mainly sure because I get a very very strong judging preference in all of the tests (like, 80-90 %) although I must admit it is the one aspect that I am the least knowledgeable about.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

This is a tough one for me because I find I get extremely passionate about so many things. I can’t imagine being happy if I cannot continue to learn and explore and grow, preferably in a way that positively impacts my surroundings. I would love to do research with a focus on the brain, perhaps to look into memory, or depression, or work with public health in some way. I CANNOT be stuck in an office making no difference. I always wanted to be a psychologist, but I’ve found that I find it too hard to “detach” myself from other people’s feelings – I can’t just listen to people all day and go home and feel like “oh well, that was work, I don’t have to think about that now”. Anyway! At the same time, I find comfort and happiness in the “mundane” – I definitely want children and pets and all of that as well. So I suppose a life in which I have cured Alzheimers or something, and I have a partner who will have some DMC about the universe for an hour after we’ve put the kids to bed and walked the dog – that would be fairly alright.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

In the last week of last term up at school I felt wonderful about myself and everything and everyone around me. Several people kept coming to knock on my door to talk about all kinds of things, a lot of them relatively serious – a new experience for me, because I had isolated myself so severely for such a long time. There was this one girl in particular whose mother came to visit and told me how much I had meant to her daughter this term – the two of them had a very close relationship and my friend had told her mother that she wasn’t sure she would have made it through the term without me. That made me incredibly touched and happy. At the same time, I had a real breakthrough personally; I managed to start opening up to my teachers and some friends who were not that close about the depression I had been struggling with for months. I think making that effort to make people see me as something other than an “exam passing machine” who never came out of her room, at the same time as I felt like I was making a difference for people around me both contributed to making me feel like I was “at my finest”.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

I am very sensitive to any kind of look or comment that suggests anything along those lines, to be honest, particularly if it is about something I consider one of my strengths. We have this girl in my literature class who ALWAYS looks at people like they’re worth absolutely nothing. Even though I know she does this to everyone, whenever I come up with some kind of analysis that I am fairly proud of in lit (and I always struggle a bit with communicating whatever I’ve come up with because I am the only second language English speaker in my class) and she looks at me like that it makes me feel terrible.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

I think about how I feel about it as well as how it will make other people feel, now as well as in the future. For instance, I live quite far away from home and have a long distance relationship with a relatively new found romantic interest back where I’m from. When I was deciding what to do for the holidays, I knew that I definitely wanted to go home and be with this person – I messaged my mum and told her “this feels right, and no matter how crazy it seems I have to do it. At the same time, though, I don’t want to miss out on opportunities to travel down here”, so I decided to stay and travel first to avoid regret in the future but then go home because I knew it would make both me and my girlfriend really upset if I decided not to go.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

My emphasis is normally having a plan and a structure so I feel certain that I will have time to accomplish every part of the task at hand. I almost always start any project with a brainstorming mind map session on my own. I prefer starting very very early – working under stress has never been my thing and I am quite into the idea of leaving a project to “rest” for a while whilst letting ideas and thoughts mature. Having control of the outcome is important, definitely, but I would hate to work on a project where I knew exactly what the outcome would be before I started. I thoroughly enjoy the process, particularly when it involves researching and learning.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

Celebrating Holi at my school with my best friends (and, obviously, everyone else, but they weren’t that significant). The vibe, the people, the happiness! We were all laughing the entire time, throwing dye in each other’s faces, running around hugging random people. I think what made it so great was that it seemed as if we all just let our worries and concerns and opinions of one another go and got together – in a sense, we were all just “one” in that moment and it was so lovely to see how happy it made all of us.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

Theorize, write, imagine. I learn very well by simply taking notes as long as my surroundings are quiet. “Hands on” and practical work has never been my thing, I can’t stand bio labs, they’re just messy and inaccurate. I would much rather sit down and read someone else’s study on whatever I am doing. It obviously depends on the subject, though. In psych class, by far the best way to learn for me is to read about a concept, maybe read a study or two that backs up the concept, make notes, go tell my best friend (who’s into psych but doesn’t do it as a subject) about everything I have learned, and then write an essay on it.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

Very organized both when it comes to concrete plans and to do-lists. My thoughts are not always that organized, but I am very good at writing them down so they make sense to me. Actually, sometimes I’ll write down a full-on rambling rant and sometimes I’ll write down a poem that’s closed to finished as I write it down, but my thoughts usually tend to make sense to me either way. An if I need people to understand my thoughts I have no problem putting them into words in an organized fashion. Otherwise; room always clean, things always in their place, always on time, my best coping mechanism for stress is having a to do list. Like, to the point where I hear OCD jokes every day.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

I don’t necessarily need concrete evidence to believe that an idea is sound and good – if the theory and thought process is good, I tend to believe that the idea might also be good even when we cannot find concrete evidence for it. Take any psychological theory; although in an essay I might argue that the empirical evidence is weak when it is weak (because school requires me to make that kind of evaluation), I personally believe that sound empirical evidence is extremely hard to find with the requirements, particularly ethical, that any psychological research has to meet. Therefore, if an idea makes sense to me, I will “approve of it” based on that.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

This one is almost impossible. I find so much comfort in being with a group of like-minded people, but then again, the group has to be one of genuinely like-minded people. In primary and secondary school I was ALWAYS that weird kid on my own because I couldn’t just stand there and talk about Louis Vuitton bags and One Direction just because that seemed to be everyone else’s interest – that just wasn’t me, and at that point in my life group dynamics made me feel horrible about myself because I found nobody like me. Now, however, that I go to this amazing international school with people who thoroughly enjoy discussing politics and ethics and philosophy, belonging to a group is an amazing experience – because I am able to follow what I believe and be myself WITH other people who are also true to themselves and our common goals, beliefs and ethics. Just writing about this makes me feel so incredibly privileged to be where I am!!

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

I definitely prefer one-on-one communication. In class situations and big groups I always think before I speak; I am terrified of being judged. However, if I am with close friends or people I get along well with, I’ll quite often think and then realise what I just said and end up dying at my own stupidity (or, very rarely, genius) for a while. Ahem.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

I never jump into action right away, I always need a plan of action and I tend to like it better when I can accurately predict what will happen based on which action I choose. If I have to, though, I will take action in the moment (like, if there is a fire, I won’t actually sit down and write down a plan… I think?). I don’t necessarily believe that action speaks louder than words, depending on the situation obviously. If coming from someone honest, I will definitely believe words – in fact, I believe words are essential in any relationship. If someone constantly proves that they are all words no action, though, in the end I might be less inclined to believe their words.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

Politely decline. Actually, probably make up some excuse so I won’t hurt their feelings, if I’m being honest… If it were my best friend or my sister I’d say I need this night with TV, wine and myself, and they’d understand. With pretty much anyone else I’d say I’d had a headache all day and need some sleep and rest.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

I am currently doing a very prestigious, recognized and ridiculously stressful pre-uni programme, so… being stressed out is kinda my life? I deal with it rather well actually. I make to do-lists, follow them through, make myself a cup of tea, go for a run, and if nothing else works, I call my mum (who also happens to be my closest friend) to have her tell me to relax and remember that school isn’t everything. My less healthy coping mechanisms? Sleeping, eating and Netflix marathons… but it rarely gets to that point, I don’t let it.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

Dishonesty and what I see as “fake people” is what gets me the most. I can never seem to understand people who need to be exactly like everyone else. Also, if you are going to talk shit about everyone else to feel better about yourself, please find a better coping mechanism and go somewhere else. Other than that, I tend to like mostly everyone really and it takes quite a lot to get me to properly dislike you.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

Anything that goes properly, properly deep, really. My best friend and I will have conversations about anything from nutrition to feelings to psychology and it will be interesting because we go so deep into it and explore all kinds of twists and possibilities. If I had to have a one-hour conversation with someone I didn’t know on a pre-decided topic, though, I’d probably go with neurobiology/psychology, the universe, literature or something like that.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life

That’s kind of hard because I don’t really notice the things I don’t notice, you know? But I suppose I try to pay little attention to people who make me feel bad about myself and others; if you’re gonna give me nasty looks you can be fairly sure I’m not going to pay attention to you unless you consciously make me. But yeah I’m actually not a very observant person either – like, it’s to the point where I seriously believe someone could paint my door and I wouldn’t notice until a week later (okay, not that extreme, but you get it). So I suppose visual detail is also something I pay veeeeery little attention to unless I consciously try to pay attention to it.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality?

I think my friends perceive me as way more outgoing and social than I actually am. Obviously, I enjoy spending time with people and I enjoy both talking and listening, it’s not that. I just very often have to say no to going out on the weekends and such because I need that time to myself to unwind and relax and see absolutely no one. Also, my friends would probably call me a very open person. And it is true that I don’t mind sharing my feelings and emotions and stuff, it’s just that I don’t go into the really really deep-down stuff with anyone. Like, ask me to tell you who to go to to find out about my most severe insecurities? That would be… no one. And the worst part is, I only realised that I don’t share this stuff with anyone very recently – keeping it to myself isn’t even conscious. I don’t know why I’m going on about this now, haha. ANYWAYS so my friends would never say that I am introverted or that I have a hard time sharing stuff, and both are actually true.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

Okay, to be perfectly honest, right now all I would want to do is spend it drinking champagne and eating strawberries with my girl. Lovey-dovey-stuff aside though; I would probably request meetings with some really influential people and try to get them to understand an important thing or two. But because I have very little faith in politicians’ ability to actually do what they say they’re gonna do, I would then spend a significant amount of time in various cool research facilities around the world. Then I would go spread the hope that would have given me by publishing some really “look the world will be okay”-ish articles in huge newspapers around the world. And then I’d end the day with the aforementioned champagne, strawberries, poetry and girl on some beach somewhere.

Eish, sorry this is so long! Also, I found something about ethical and intuitive subtypes. The description of the ethical subtype fit me really well. Does that somehow make things make more sense?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Anyway, the question about what happens when I read poetry sparked my interest, I really had to sit down and think that through. My answer might seem really weird and confusing, but here goes! So, I definitely do see images, it's just that they're so "blurry" I almost feel like they are more of a feeling than an image. I read some Browning the other day and whenever I think about that poem I can see the surroundings, the cottage in which it was set, I'm getting the "mood" of the place, but I cannot "see" any details. In the poem, which is a rather eerie and strange one, a woman is strangled with her own hair, but all I can "see" in my head when I think about the poem is her hair, it is as if I can't hold on to her face, it slips my mind, I don't get details. This always happens with me and poetry. I relate to it and remember it in terms of an overall emotion, a few unclear non-detailed images, sometimes accompanied by powerful lines that "stick" in my head. Symbolic, imagistic language is what "sticks" the easiest because I feel it captures that essence, in a way. And now I'm rambling, but anyway!
OK, thanks for clearing that up!
That sounds very xNxx indeed. Some S-types have a magical gift for words, but it seems to be more about flow and how words sounds rather than the mood and imagery behind it.

What you describe is pretty much what happen to me as well when i real poetry.

I'll read your full questionnaire now!

·
Registered
535 Posts
1)
Eish, sorry this is so long! Also, I found something about ethical and intuitive subtypes. The description of the ethical subtype fit me really well. Does that somehow make things make more sense?
No problem! Better too long than too short :)

OK, i won't quote everything because it is way too long, but definitely contained much more info than the previous bits.

One certainty - you definitely have Fe, not Fi. There is too much about caring externally rather than about yourself, plus the bit you mentioned about you seeming more outgoing than you actually are. From what i read, that's pretty typical Fe. My friends wouldn't label me introvert either.

Based on what i read i would also say that you're an intuitive. I don't know any ISFJs, so perhaps someone like @mystikro can still way in. But you sound pretty much like eveyrone else on here. The way you write and the topics you mention, sound N-style.

I'd say you're an INFJ. You dropped a few hints on Ni - particularly when you're describing how ideas grow, not go over them, but just keeping to rest and mature. Nothing massive, but given your Fe-ness, you can't be an INFP. In point 15 there is even some inferior Se popping up when you describe your non-healthy coping mechanisms - so that sounds pretty correct too. :)

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
Based on what i read i would also say that you're an intuitive. I don't know any ISFJs, so perhaps someone like @mystikro can still way in. But you sound pretty much like eveyrone else on here. The way you write and the topics you mention, sound N-style.
ISFJs do feel a lot like INFJs with one trick: TO BE HEALTHY. When healthy they are almost a completion to the INFJ and really bring order in the INFJ life. They take care of the house, take care of the family, they love to provide, they are creative and they care for the important values in the world. Almost INFJ, except for the care of taking care of things in a physical form (washing, cooking, cleaning and so much more). They are traditionalists but they do take the steps in changing ideas and adopting new stuff if they are gently shown that it is harmless and that it is not against their values. They are based on remembering facts and details and are especially drawn to spending family time. The idea of making a relationship work between INFJ and ISFJ is for the INFJ to create "new traditions" and for the ISFJ to be open to the idea of giving these "new traditions" a try and then to analyze how they felt about them. "New traditions" can mean anything from eating cotton candy on a bench in the park like 2 children would, to not going to the parents home for Christmas this year and instead have cozy time at home, or even talk dirty in bed, for example. Could be anything, but must not be something that would corrupt their inner beliefs because you will terribly mess up the ISFJ and break it down.

When ISFJs are broken, they become shallow, selfish and may even seem materialistic. They become confused and refuse to make decisions. They will fluctuate from extreme compassion to extreme betrayal, one day be happy, the other sad, or wake up happy in the morning and go to bed sad, feel like they want to die, like they are not worthy, they tend to want to run away from all.

INFJs want to help and to see that they managed to do so, while ISFJs want to help and even though they will never say it or never even consciously feel the need for it, they want to be appreciated. I think that's the difference as INFJs are abstract and ISFJs are practical, but mostly based on the same type of emotions, just processed in a different way.

Reactions: Lise A

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd say you're an INFJ. You dropped a few hints on Ni - particularly when you're describing how ideas grow, not go over them, but just keeping to rest and mature. Nothing massive, but given your Fe-ness, you can't be an INFP. In point 15 there is even some inferior Se popping up when you describe your non-healthy coping mechanisms - so that sounds pretty correct too. :)
Thank you so so much for your time and patience and insight! I am still reading and learning, but I'm starting to get the hang of it a bit more now I think. I think my problem might also be that I use my intuition without actually recognizing that I'm using it... I don't know if that makes any sense when I write it down, but it does to me. I showed the description to my sister and she (who I would say is the only good judge of my "true" character apart from my mum) also thinks it's spot on. I'll probably keep reading, second guessing and changing my views and opinions of myself, but apparently that's also part of my personality, I understand... haha. Either way, thank you so much :happy:

·
Registered
535 Posts
Thank you so so much for your time and patience and insight! I am still reading and learning, but I'm starting to get the hang of it a bit more now I think. I think my problem might also be that I use my intuition without actually recognizing that I'm using it... I don't know if that makes any sense when I write it down, but it does to me. I showed the description to my sister and she (who I would say is the only good judge of my "true" character apart from my mum) also thinks it's spot on. I'll probably keep reading, second guessing and changing my views and opinions of myself, but apparently that's also part of my personality, I understand... haha. Either way, thank you so much :happy:
It is pretty tough i find. What you do is just so natural that you don't really think about it.
You grow up knowing that people have different motivations and likes, but that even the internal brain works so different? I never figured other people's internal brains worked so differently until finding out about Ni versus Ti/Fi/Si. Now it makes sense! But getting those differences took some "aha" comments ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
@Lise A Sounds like you are INFJ rather than ISFJ to me. From your detailed answers picking up Fe/Ti which is common to both but also strong Ni/Se vs Si/Ne.
INFJ love people and what makes them tick, and also known to be the most extroverted introverts which is why your friends may perceive you to be more outgoing that you really are. Lots of people see the Fe warmth, and think I'm an extrovert when they meet me, but they don't know I like to spend time researching and theorizing a lot.
Other things mini things that point to INFJ, not fitting in most of your life, desire for depth, helping people in an intellectual way, not sharing everything about yourself, fine tastes, desire for authenticity, how you string together theories by looking at the big picture.
None of these are INFJ in itself but taken together it's definitely a stronger case.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@Lise A Sounds like you are INFJ rather than ISFJ to me. From your detailed answers picking up Fe/Ti which is common to both but also strong Ni/Se vs Si/Ne.
INFJ love people and what makes them tick, and also known to be the most extroverted introverts which is why your friends may perceive you to be more outgoing that you really are. Lots of people see the Fe warmth, and think I'm an extrovert when they meet me, but they don't know I like to spend time researching and theorizing a lot.
Other things mini things that point to INFJ, not fitting in most of your life, desire for depth, helping people in an intellectual way, not sharing everything about yourself, fine tastes, desire for authenticity, how you string together theories by looking at the big picture.
None of these are INFJ in itself but taken together it's definitely a stronger case.
Thank you for this! Yes, a lot of these are among the qualities that make me fairly sure I am INFJ. Still not sure. But then I don't think I'll ever be, haha. Also, uhm, how do you tag people? :rolleyes: Still trying to figure this place out... :kitteh:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts