Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a bit of help on my type. I've taken the test multiple times, varying my answers based on my mood. I've gotten, in order: INFJ, ISTJ, ISFJ, and INTJ. I relate most to INFJ, ISTJ, and INTJ. I'm almost always aware of what's going on around me and my environment, but I am almost always lost in thought. I don't know if this has to do with being HSP or not.

Ways I'm like an INFJ (that I know of) - I am creative. And design stories in my mind, playing out the scenes before I go to bed. However, I'm not overly into the symbolism of things (I know an ENFJ and she's always supper into the symbolism and underlying points that things like movies, books, etc. are trying to portray and I often don't have an answer, though I think it's just because I haven't thought about it and am not ready to answer. If I were to see the piece again, I'm sure I would have an answer) I an SUPER in tune with others emotions. I ALWAYS know when something is up with someone. ALWAYS. I can feel the mood of a room, or when tension is starting to build during a discussion. I can also ALWAYS tell when someone is lying, can't be trusted, or is fake (there are a few times I wish that I had spoken up about someone I felt couldn't be trusted). I can have a hard time figuring out why I am feeling down. Writing what I'm feeling or talking to my Mom usually helps (she's the only one I really tell about my emotions). I understand concepts and the idea people are trying to get across when others don't (whether because the person is having a hard time wording their idea or because it is fairly abstract).

Ways I'm like an ISTJ (that I know of) - I am not super organized, though I am a planner and don't enjoy sudden changes, questions, etc. I'm logical (also applies to INTJ) though I do consider how my actions and choices will affect others. I feel stressed when I am not being productive. Even if I'm just relaxing for a little while by myself, I have this feeling of "I need to be doing something." I go to college to learn, not make friends and talk to people. People being disruptive or bugging me in class really piss me off. I tend to grasp material far more quickly than my classmates.

Ways I'm like an INTJ (that I know of) - I can generally predict what will happen based on a choice or simply how a scenario will play out. I can have problems with feeling like I am smarter than people (though I don't know if that is simply a stereotype with INTJ. I don't think it is.)

I also get absorbed in projects or research, loose track of time, and work on it for hours without a break. I can't remember what I last ate, but I can remember how many protons, electrons, and neutrons are in oxygen even though I haven't studied chemistry in 4 years. And I remember little random facts about people, especially if I like them.

So, if anyone has any idea from this as to what my type could be or just any thoughts...

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Based on what you wrote INFJ. Being in tune with other emotion is Fe thing. Wheres for INTJ and ISTJ Fe it is a blind spot, they don't see that. Also INFJ is often puctured as most logical feeling type and they tend to mistype as thinker.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Based on what you wrote INFJ. Being in tune with other emotion is Fe thing. Wheres for INTJ and ISTJ Fe it is a blind spot, they don't see that. Also INFJ is often puctured as most logical feeling type and they tend to mistype as thinker.
Mm. Okay. That was the original result I got.

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,490 Posts
I believe much more in the IJ/IP/EJ/EP temperament split than the whole NF/NT/SJ/SP split which has never made sense to me. So yeah, your confusion makes sense because IJs share very similar traits and can be hard to tell apart.

Ask yourself if your inner world is like a thousand pictures you have seen and experienced, swirling in your mind where you select what you want through meticulous inspection or if it's just an abstract whirlwind where you pull out stuff you need out of it, barely comprehending how you did so, but it somehow makes total sense. Si vs. Ni

Then ask yourself if you are at ease reading your emotions and relegating them to others and vice-versa. Preferring to analyze how people work, rather than telling them upfront what they should do or if you mainly focus on common sense, cause and effect and know how to concertize plans easily with a step by step approach, all of which serve an inward emotional motivation. Which can often make you look cold to the eyes of others but you figure your actions are ultimately what will display your values and show that you are a passionate person at the end of the day. Fe vs. Te

·
Registered
230 Posts
You write like an INFP (winding sentences, writing exactly the way you talk, hyperboles and all caps. NJs and SJs usually have a more structured writing style). Also consider ENFP; many ENFPs think they are introverts, since Ne isn't an extroverted function in the conventional sense.

Ways I'm like an INFJ (that I know of) - I am creative. And design stories in my mind, playing out the scenes before I go to bed. However, I'm not overly into the symbolism of things
This sounds more like Ne than Ni. Many of the xNFPs I've talked to have also described themselves as making up stories/scenes/visual ideas in their head.

I can't remember what I last ate, but I can remember how many protons, electrons, and neutrons are in oxygen even though I haven't studied chemistry in 4 years. And I remember little random facts about people, especially if I like them
Lower Si. Another thing that I've noticed about xNFPs; they aren't great at paying attention to their environment, but are surprisingly observant and insightful when it comes to understanding other people. My INFP friend will regularly bump into furniture, but knows my favorite chair and knows what I am feeling before I do.

I am not super organized, though I am a planner and don't enjoy sudden changes, questions, etc. I'm logical (also applies to INTJ) though I do consider how my actions and choices will affect others. I feel stressed when I am not being productive
You are in college, so you are probably at the age of tertiary Te development; you value logic and productivity, but are not super organized, so you probably have lower Te that you are currently developing (keep in mind that you are probably not as logical as you think you are; people tend to overestimate the strength of their tertiary function).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll look into that. I've never looked at the 'P' personalities because I've never gotten one in any of the results. Though my friends all say I'm super laid back, which I've heard is a trait of 'P'. I should also probably look a bit more into the difference between 'J' and 'P'.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for suggesting I might be a 'P'. I've been looking into INFP, and it really seems to be clicking. I'm going to keep looking into it though 'cause of all the confusion I've had over this in the past. I don't want to jump to conclusions just because a few things sound right.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm back again. Haha.
A few weeks ago I began to question whether or not I was an introvert. INFP fit me pretty well, except that I am not a quiet person. When I was little, I was the kid who would invite a girl she just met at the park to her birthday party. I've also "adopted" introverts before, which is generally not an introverted thing to do. However, somehow, I developed extreme shyness and social anxiety.
My brother said he didn't think I was an extrovert based on how I tend to want to be alone. Though that is generally just because I don't want to be bothered or distracted while I'm working on things, reading, watching shows, etc. (Also depression (I believe formed in part from insufficient human interaction), HSP, and having been fairly distanced from people based on living location and circumstance I'm sure played quite the role.)
A few days ago, I was thinking about how I had behaved around my friends that day, and how I behave around them normally. I feel like I'm too loud and mess with them too much. I thought about how I felt when I would behave this way, and how I felt when none of them were paying attention to me. And I realized that I most likely act that way out of loneliness and a lack of attention.
A day or two after, I somehow discovered I am probably an Enfp, not an Inpf. Looking at behavioral qualities of the Enfp, it seemed to match up better than the Infp.
It still makes sense with my wanting to be alone, seeing as how Enfps can be ambiverts.
Also the other types (especially ISTJ) that I was miss-typed as make sense seeing as how I've been depressed and under a lot of stress for quite a while.
Mm. One other thing that I saw the other day was that Enfps can instantly read a room and are the only(?) type who can do so (though they don't realize this), which I can do.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The test doesn't change with "mood", not as drastically as you are pointing out. You simply lack consistency in your self-knowledge or honesty in your answers, which makes almost impossible to get a fair result from it, or a fair guess from anyone in this forum.

Reactions: elight

·
Banned
1,423 Posts
The test doesn't change with "mood", not as drastically as you are pointing out. You simply lack consistency in your self-knowledge or honesty in your answers, which makes almost impossible to get a fair result from it, or a fair guess from anyone in this forum.
All of that screams "ENFP" to me. :tongue:

·
Registered
648 Posts
Ask yourself if your inner world is like a thousand pictures you have seen and experienced, swirling in your mind where you select what you want through meticulous inspection or if it's just an abstract whirlwind where you pull out stuff you need out of it, barely comprehending how you did so, but it somehow makes total sense. Si vs. Ni
haha I like how direct and truthful this is. I don't understand how I get the answers I do at all and instead of pictures I've actually seen and experienced it's a whole bunch of pictures of things I think I will experience later on and weird abstractions

1 - 11 of 11 Posts