Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Master
1,886 Posts
I used to think that I wanted kids, but I realize they would be a cause of great stress and the end of privacy between me and my partner. For those two reasons alone I do not wish to have children.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I do want a maximum of two children some day but for now I'd like to finish however many more years of professional education and development I shall need before financial stability is found (I expect another 1-5 years at least).
Seeing what the disastrous effects can be when people plan to have children without being emotionally and financially mature enough to support new life (not to suggest unplanned childraising is always bad rather that stability and forethought about what people can actually offer a child is required).
I would hope to teach, advise, support and guide my children towards emotional maturity and independent critical thinking so they can learn to make mistakes and trust their moral-decision making judgement as free thinkers.

·
Registered
281 Posts
It's kind of putting the cart before the horse for me. Most importantly is finding a significant other who is nurturing and would be ideal to raise kids with. If there's anything I fantasize about, it's finding that person. I've always wanted to have a daughter though. But it's not something I think or dream about often, because at this point it seems like a far off reality. However, I need to overcome my awkwardness around kids. Being that I drift off a lot, having the attention span to be in the moment with them for an extended period of time is hard. I can play and hang out with my nephew, but like with other people, need to retreat after a short while with him. But he might follow me around and that's when it becomes awkward, cause I can only entertain him in short spurts, and he'll catch me in moments where I'm totally unresponsive cause I'm lost in my mind. I'm gonna need to exercise my Se a lot between now and that eventual time. Yeah, I do hope to have a kid or two one day, and part of the motivation is because my dad hasn't exactly been too present or interested in my life, nor given me much positive reinforcement when I needed that from him and it's had an effect on me, and I'd like to give a kid all those things I didn't receive. But there's too many life things that need to happen between now and then first to really think about it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm already in love with my daughter, and she doesn't even exist (I'm not married and no kids on the way). Yeah, I think about my future kids sometimes. I wouldn't say it's a need, but I can't really imagine not having kids.

Watching videos of dads doing sweet things with their daughters makes me melt.

And think of all the stuff I can break and set on fire with my son (and not tell mom)!

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I absolutely adore children and I almost feel as if I'm punished by having to eat at the boring ass "adults table" at family functions, haha.

That aside, while I do hope to have children in some capacity in the future, I've really been enjoying the prospects of adoption. I think there's so many wonderful people in this world that have so much potential, but opportunity, or lack there of, often strikes them down. Statistically, foster children are highly likely to have behavioural issues, criminal or deviant behavior, drug abuse, and so fourth. I really feel like these people are swept under the rug and almost have a bar code stamped on their head in terms of their place in this world. If I can give them a nurturing, loving, and supportive environment to pursue whatever it is they desire then I just think that's amazing. I'll be proud and love them just the same, biological child or not.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I have no children and I feel no active need to have children.

I do however have a very strong need to satisfy my sexual desires. I fantasize a lot about all the various ways I can accomplish that task. I have some inkling that those fantasies of mine may be tangentially related to the act of having children.

I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of having children and I think the right woman may be able to coax a child or two out of me but I have no sense of a biological clock ticking away. No sense of urgency about having kids.

As far as passing on a legacy or something of that nature, I think I would do that with my words and what I create and how I interact with the world. I don't have any feeling of my particular genetic material being especially important. No feeling of needing to continue the bloodline or keep the family name going or anything like that.

I love interacting with kids though.

There's that magic period of time really early on before their sense of negative self-evaluation develops and they have no mask to put and they will hold eye contact forever. To see a human being in that state, untouched by the world, was a revelatory experience for me.

There are experiences I've had in the presence of watching my nephew grow up that have changed my entire perception of who and what human beings actually are. It sometimes felt like I was watching some great and powerful undifferentiated force of nature as it was shrinking itself down and narrowing its attention and trying to individuate itself into and as a human being.

There were more than a few times where I was watching my nephew when he was age 1/2/3 and I'm just going "woah!" and "holy shit!" in my head as insights about humanity were impacting me. To see the thing in the process of becoming is amazing.

·
Registered
536 Posts
That's so great @Lad. I'd forgotten about adoption. This is something I used to think about aaaaaalllll the time. I could totally adopt.

I was at a wedding reception a few months back and accidentally ended up at the kids table on the bride's side. Her whole family speaks only Spanish. I don't speak any Spanish, so I just encouraged them to play with their food to create different creatures. It was the best wedding dinner I've had in a long time. They kept talking to me like I knew what they were saying, and I just pretended to understand until I could distract them with bread roll puppets.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I have no idea what I'm gonna do the first few years before it learns to speak. After that I have no idea what it's gonna do.

Honestly, I realize my genetic programming will catch up with me eventually, but I am so not there yet. The world is already full of children and I don't like being depended on that much. Besides, I haven't even seen what kind of outcomes these values lead to yet.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I am not sure yet.

On one side kids can be really wonderful and sweet and I also want to leave a legacy in this world (though that can also look different than having children)
On the other side kids can be super stressful, annoying, disgusting and expensive.

And I also enjoy single life in that I can do anything I want really.

Also I would need to find a proper woman for that, since I never really had a relationship before. (Only long distance and she already has 2 children, we remain friendly).

Reactions: chip

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
I have no great desire to have children of my own. However, my partner has two lovely children herself that I absolutely adore. Whatever paternal nuturing may be within me is more than satisfied through my interactions with them.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Yes. I want kids.

Older daughter, younger twin boys. c:

·
The Cooliest
7,635 Posts
This thread is adorable! I was actually expecting a lot more yes answers..
Although the guys who's do pretty much said what I was expecting. @InTheRockies lol you are in love with your future daughter? haha I already adore the 3 kids I'm having (well going too, eventually. no questions !). Twin Boy and Girl and a younger girl, (I can't decide which one I want first and twins run in the family XD) Particularly the boy, who I shall call Max because it's perfect!
I figured you INFJs might have some desires or plans. This thread has killed me, I knew I shouldn't have looked! Honestly, a guy who's good with kids is just...It's attractive..

·
SAY MY NAME
INTJ
8,476 Posts
Nah, never ever ever do I want children. Kids suck. Once you have them your own life is over. Plus you can't even have a worthwhile chat with them until they're at least 10 or so.

Besides which, it runs contrary to my gnostic views to procreate. I don't want to bring a soul here. It's hell.

Lastly I would be controlling over my children and be very angry and disappointed if they grow up to reject what I teach them, as how I reject what my parents teach me. I don't want to deal with any of that. Imagine my child becomes a banker. Or worse, a fundamentalist religious nut. It would kill me.

Reactions: Dissonance

·
Registered
388 Posts
I don't think it's a good idea to have children. I just don't think I'd be a good parent. Why? Because I probably wouldn't know how. My own parents sucked, to be honest.

But if that would happen - I'd try my darndest not to let my kids down.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I would like a couple... like 10 :laughing: Just kidding haha. Two of them would be perfect though :happy:

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Ok... so I'm an INTJ and not an INFJ, but...

I have no desire to have my own children. But I do very much like children. I have worked with (at risk/delinquent) kids for 20 yrs and I have 8 god kids.

That being said, I'm kinda going with @Lad on this... if I were to decide I needed some kids for some reason, I would adopt some. I don't see the need to make more when there's a bunch sitting about with no home, you know? And I'd adopt older kids...

But the probability of me doing this ever is exceptionally slim. I'd have to like... win the lottery and then decide I like kids more than freedom... honestly, at this point in my life, I'm not sure that would happen.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
I used to think that I wanted kids, but I realize they would be a cause of great stress and the end of privacy between me and my partner. For those two reasons alone I do not wish to have children.
I was quite the opposite. Hated the idea of kids. Now, I kinda switched around for the past 1-2 years. I grew older, ideas changed, I have other needs.

I'm already in love with my daughter, and she doesn't even exist (I'm not married and no kids on the way). Yeah, I think about my future kids sometimes. I wouldn't say it's a need, but I can't really imagine not having kids.

Watching videos of dads doing sweet things with their daughters makes me melt.

And think of all the stuff I can break and set on fire with my son (and not tell mom)!
I do this too. We already picked a name, me and my SO are not married yet, nor are we going to have a child just yet. We already have some things planned out, but just the big picture.

I don't think it's a good idea to have children. I just don't think I'd be a good parent. Why? Because I probably wouldn't know how. My own parents sucked, to be honest.

But if that would happen - I'd try my darndest not to let my kids down.
Well, then it should be easy. Because you had terrible parents you should know what you missed. So you can offer your kids exactly what they require, plus the things you liked from what your parents gave you.

I lacked a lot of affection. I lacked my parents playing with me, with my toys, listening to my ideas. I lacked a bike.

I am going to make sure that my daughter (we would like a girl) does not lack the proper food, care, clothes, affection, playtime together with both of us, and her ideas heard out. And a bike. So I can take her to the park and ride together until our feet hurt. Haha.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Part of me doesn't want any kids or ever get married.
Part of me wants at least 3-4 kids..like my parents. Yes, we were a stressful bunch, but my parents wouldn't have it any other way and I think it's a beautiful thing. Maybe it's something I also want if the right person came along and wasn't horrified with the thought.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts