Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I'm about to embark in a mid life career change going from a financial advisor of 15 years to ?????

I noticed Nursing doesn't show up as a career path for me. It seems like such a wide open field, that any personality type could find a speciality that works for them.

I know I get bummed out when my clients are losing money in a down market. I take it personal where my business partner who is essentially my opposite does not.

Is an INFJ going to become depressed when patients die on their watch, even if it isn't their fault? Is that why the profession doesn't show up because are empathy and feeling traits are too great?

I actually thought being a flight nurse or ER nurse would be fun, which is one of the things I'm looking for. Obviously, going to nursing school and blowing 40k isn't what I want to do if those are issues.

Sorry for this being a wide question, but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger based on things I'm reading on the internet.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Don't let your personality type dictate your life. There are similarities within type, but everyone is different. What works for one INFJ might not work for another. So, I'd say let go of the type thing in this and see if it aligns with your personal goals.

That said, there can be some reasons INFJ's like or dislike certain jobs. You should think for yourself which of these apply to you.
1: I can imagine INFJ's getting bored with a nursing career if they fear getting stuck in a rut. Ni wants to keep abstracting to newer and broader ideas and not getting the right stimulation might lead to boredom. On the other hand, a field like this might actually allow you to find the peace and quiet to finally get around to all the ideas floating around in your head.
2: Fe loves helping people so that's great. Be prepared to face the fact that not everyone is thankful for your help though. In nursing it happens that people are forced in a situation where they need your help but are determined to fight you every step. On the other hand, some people will think you are the greatest person who ever lived for waht you're doing for them. You'll face both and it can give you energy but drain you at other moments.
3: You'll be around people all day every day and it can be draining. There's lots of small-talk involved and that can be especially draining. In some cases you're going to be the only person they've seen for the day, or even several days. They'll want to connect with you, but most will just want to unlaod their problems on you.
4: You'll get the satisfaction of knowing that you're making a difference to the world. It's not big to the world itself, but for these people it's going to feel that way.

So, that's a lot of thoughts on the matter, some might not even apply to you, but these would be my thoughts on the matter if I were to switch careers like this. I hope it helped in some way.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Dude. Don't fall into the trap that says if my typology is this then my supposed life career should be that. That's just torturing yourself. Your typology only serves to tell you how you process information. And the feeling function doesn't necessarily equate to being emotional. Feeling, along with Thinking, is a rational function. Well, anyway, if you really are passionate about nursing then go for it. If you like to be, let's say an astronomer, then go for it. Just make sure that you don't regret your choice later on.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Please don't let Myers Briggs determine what career path you "should" take.
Do something that sounds right for you!
If you love nursing, do nursing!
If it is your passion, if it excites you, if it keeps you up at night thinking about it... go for it!!!

I work as a counselor on a crisis hotline.
I talk to a lot of people with depression, suicidal thoughts, anxiety, other types of issues.

Is an INFJ going to become depressed when patients die on their watch, even if it isn't their fault? Is that why the profession doesn't show up because are empathy and feeling traits are too great?
For me, this is my issue.
I love the adrenaline rush from knowing somebody is in crisis and I have to keep cool and calm.
But if I ever lost anybody I would quit.
I couldn't live with myself knowing I killed somebody. :(

Anyway.

I also work as a college counselor helping kids who are nervous about future career moves annnddd I'm telling you to just go for it... if you love nursing, go for nursing!!! :D
I understand you are afraid you might make a "wrong" decision.
But, so what?
We make plenty of decisions in our lifetimes.
There is nothing wrong with choosing nursing, and deciding later on you don't like it.
You were a financial advisor. You didn't like it. You moved on. Boom easy.
You might absolutely love nursing!!!!!!!!
Give it a shot!!!!!
(no pun intended)

·
Registered
30 Posts
while no career is perfect but nursing might not be the best for sensitive people. my mother is a nurse and the work is quite hard. you have to be constantly lifting and moving heavy patients. her working environment is quite toxic (i am sure not every place is like that) some nurses would go lazy and not answer patients' call bells and my mom sometimes have to take on extra work load because she feel sorry for the patients. then later she blame herself for not standing up for herself. Also there are a lot to do as a nurse, paper work( a lot), drug administrations (many different types of drugs), cleaning, I.V, and etc. dont over romanticise the job, it is very mundane, most of the time you are just a glorified baby sitter and you probably won't see your patients get better. Finally, there is almost no time for you to build a relationship with your patients.

and yes, you will get depressed when patients die on your watch even though it is not your fault.

I am not saying don't be a nurse but you should be prepared to deal with these challenges. there are a lot of detailed work and there are many places to make critical errors. my mom has caught many nurses and doctors giving the wrong dosage of drugs

what my suggestion to you is to go back to school and expand on your knowledge of financial advisement and maybe you can be a teacher in such a field. my brother is a high school teacher and he loves it.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Personally I would never go into nursing, because of many things mentioned above, but also because it seems so stressful.... if you mess up, someone could die. You have to be sharp and not make mistakes. Doesn't sound like a great job for an Intuitive tbh. There's a lot of Sensing involved in nursing. You have to notice little details, and you have to understand how to make someone feel better physically as well as emotionally.

I work right now taking care of special needs kids, showering, feeding, toileting, etc., but I'm not great at the physical side of it because I dont think of things like "why is that kid upset? Maybe it's because his diaper is bothering him. Put on some more lotion." I just don't think of stuff like that. I'm great at communicating with them and understanding their feelings, but not good at the practical side of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.