Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been debating whether or not I am an INFJ or an ENFJ since the time I was introduced to this system. I am kind of embarrassed to ask for help figuring it out, but here I am. I appreciate any insight you can offer. Thanks.

Here are some facts that lead to my confusion.

I regularly test borderline Extrovert / Introvert. I almost always test INFJ or ENFJ on any test. I also tend to test the same way on any given test. For instance, one test usually types me as ENFJ while another test usually types me as INFJ. I have about half a dozen tests I've taken once every few months to allow myself time to forget what I answered the last time. (I very rarely test INFP or INTJ, and once tested ENFP. I'm quite certain I don't have the Extroverted Thinking to be an INTJ, but I'm open to the rare possibility of INFP or ENFP, even though my Judging scores are usually pretty clear.)

Extroverted - I'm chatty, and I love people, and have never had any problem talking to 'strangers' because I've always been an amazingly good people reader. Ever since I was a little kid, I knew people before I ever spoke to them, and knew who I could approach and how to approach them. I've also always known who to avoid. I am the type of person who will talk your leg off if you seem interested in something I am interested in, especially my nerdy NF subjects.

I'm also very alert and observant. Very little gets past me. I try to stay connected to the world around me, and this is usually pretty easy for me to do if there is anyone else around me to pull my attention. However, leave me in a room alone, and I can become so oblivious to my surroundings that I don't notice anything other than what I am thinking about.

When I'm alone too long, especially without something to focus on like a problem to solve or a project to ponder, I am prone to getting myself numb and blah, even depressed, and need someone to talk to in order to get myself out of it. I have to eventually share my ideas with someone, usually several people.

Introverted - However, I can't deal with big crowds well at all, especially when it is a crowd of strangers. Even if it's not a crowd of strangers, I will eventually have to 'escape' the gathering and recharge. The bigger the crowd, the faster I run out of charge. The less people I know personally, the faster I run out of charge. However, talking to people one on one or in small groups actually recharges my batteries better than being alone. If I'm at a party with close friends, it will actually recharge me to have a good time with everyone, and I can get quite loud and obnoxious. However, if we're at someplace I don't feel to be the home territory of myself or my friends, I am much more self conscious and low key, trying not to offend our 'hosts'. I'm almost always the one who shushes people in such situations, and am very conscious of disturbing others - as I highly value not being disturbed, and love to isolate myself from outside disturbances to better focus on what I'm thinking about.

I love my imagination and am prone to getting quite lost in it. I live in a fantasy world, that often overlaps reality. Tinkering with theories or anything that involves the imagination can literally take over my mind.

My ADD is also pretty bad, which lends itself to the possibility of being Ni dominant, which brings me to my next subject...

Cognitive Functions - I score so close on Ni and Fe that I have a lot of trouble distinguishing which is in charge. Here are my latest results on the cognitive preferences test, and they're very typical for me...

(Fe)*************************************** (39)
(Ni)*************************************** (39)
(Fi)******************************** (32.1)
(Ti)****************************** (30.8)
(Te)*************************** (27.9)
(Se)*************************** (27)
(Ne)*********************** (23.9)
(Si)******************** (20.9)
I've been developing my Te lately, and sometimes it scores higher than Ti. My Se and Ti are often tied as well. I'm honestly under the impression that my preferences shift and I go from Ni > Fe > Ti > Se to Fe > Ni > Se > Ti depending on my mood. This is rather consistent with Beebe's theories on type adaption from what I understand.

As far as the order in which I developed my functions... I really couldn't say. Seems like I developed Ni and Fe about the same time, and developed Ti and Se about the same time. I had a rather abusive childhood, so that could have been a factor, and brings me to my next possible factor...

Enneagram - I am not certain of my Enneagram Type. So far 8w9 seems the closest based on how I understand the type to operate - as opposed to the basic description of a type 8 which is not much like me at all. I also identify with elements of 2 and 4, even a little bit of type 1. I'm assuming that Enneagram type can have an affect on how introverted or extroverted someone is because it's based on motivations and the resulting mechanisms.

However, I while I'm still learning Enneagram, and uncertain of my type, I am not at all uncertain about being a Sexual / Social subtype. I've read that sx/so will increase both Extroverted and Perceiving scores. If that's the case, then I'd probably be an INFJ with low I and J - and that's usually the case when I take standard MBTI tests. Here are my latest scores from Keirsey and Jungtypology, which are typical...

INFJ

Introverted 22
Intuitive 31
Feeling 25
Judging 11
ENFJ- The Teacher

You scored 58% I to E, 21% N to S, 38% F to T, and 42% J to P!
INFJ Problems - I have no problem talking to people, nor approaching strangers, taking the lead, or other things most INFJs describe having difficulty with involving interpersonal skills, and never really have. I get recharged by talking to people one on one, and in small groups of good friends when things are harmonious. In fact, I generally feel better the more people I talk to, one on one.

ENFJ Problems - I know a few ENFJs, and I'm just not as cool as them. They're so charismatic and positive. Granted, my friends tell me my charisma is epic, but I don't see it like that. My ENFJ friends have got their nerdy streaks, but nothing like mine. Also, I don't know of any ENFJ's that could write a post as long or as intricate as this one. I certainly write more like an INFJ than an ENFJ. I also feel like I'm more intuitive than my ENFJ friends. Even though they are quite intuitive, they don't seem to focus on it or trust it like I do. But, that could just be a personal thing. I could be a rare ENFJ who tapped into it directly, and has very clear feelings, dreams that happen, etc.

Also, I can be quite inadvertently inconsiderate. I never mean to be, but my ENFJ friends are so much more considerate than I am, and it's so much more reflexive for them. For that matter, my INFJ friends can be more considerate than I am. Though, my INFJ friends often say the same things I do on the subject, such as "Aw man, I should have done this or that, and feel bad because I didn't".

I can get lost in my head, and I mean to a degree that I just plain can't describe. My Ni is mighty difficult for me to resist, and honestly seems to take over my Fe in any case when they are in conflict. It's so much easier for me to stay lost in my head and not notice when someone needs my help than it is to stay in a mode where I'm alert to everyone's needs. This is why I say I'm not as cool as my ENFJ friends. They can all do this so much better than I can.

I really appreciate any help you can offer. Feel free to ask me any questions that you think might help clear this up for me once and for all. My J-ness really doesn't like that I cannot reconcile my type.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I had wondered this myself. I was using Fe every day for a few years and then stopped cold turkey (moved away from everyone I knew). This made me think I was an E because I longed for those relationships again. It took a few months, but I got used living on my own again and there's no question in my mind that I am an I. ENFJ's and INFJ's share the same functions, just in slightly different orders. The easiest way to figure it out would be to ask yourself if you are always trying to please people, constantly going back and forth between opinions (Fe dominant) or if you normally stick to your guns and have a clear idea of what you want and how to get it (Ni dominant).

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't have MUCH to add to this conversation since I really know so little about cognitive functions and am learning as I go... but I have this problem as well... Even the results in my SIGNATURE indicate low I/E J/P discrepancy. I shift every time I take a test. I took 3 tests over a couple days out of a personal project in different moods and got these results:

Extroverted (E) 58.33% Introverted (I) 41.67%
Intuitive (N) 62.5% Sensing (S) 37.5%
Feeling (F) 62.5% Thinking (T) 37.5%
Perceiving (P) 66.67% Judging (J) 33.33%

Introverted (I) 62.5% Extroverted (E) 37.5%
Intuitive (N) 58.33% Sensing (S) 41.67%
Feeling (F) 75% Thinking (T) 25%
Perceiving (P) 50% Judging (J) 50%

Intuitive (N) 54.17% Sensing (S) 45.83%
Feeling (F) 83.33% Thinking (T) 16.67%
Judging (J) 54.17% Perceiving (P) 45.83%
(Holy Feeling! O_O)

In short, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find our "borderline" kin fairly common. :p

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The easiest way to figure it out would be to ask yourself if you are always trying to please people, constantly going back and forth between opinions (Fe dominant) or if you normally stick to your guns and have a clear idea of what you want and how to get it (Ni dominant).
My gut answer is 'both at the same time'. If at all possible, I'd like to do both. However, that doesn't help separate the two function preferences. It just furthers the ambiguity.

Hmm... I am always trying to please people and make them laugh, keep them happy, and protect them even if it's only by buying them something to eat. (+ Fe)

I do tend to go back and forth with my opinions when I'm fine tuning within myself (I'd assume that's an Ni thing), but I am very rarely swayed to other people's opinions unless there is a clear benefit to others. In fact, I'm notorious for refusing to back down from my opinions. The best I can do is accept someone else does not agree with me, and graciously allow them the right to be 'wrong'.(- Fe)

I do stick to my guns to a fault sometimes, and have a clear idea of what I want and how things should be. I usually have a clear idea of how to get it, but it usually just hits me in the moment. (+ Ni)

Thanks for the insight.

I don't have MUCH to add to this conversation since I really know so little about cognitive functions and am learning as I go... but I have this problem as well... Even the results in my SIGNATURE indicate low I/E J/P discrepancy. I shift every time I take a test. I took 3 tests over a couple days out of a personal project in different moods and got these results:

Intuitive (N) 62.5% Sensing (S) 37.5%
Feeling (F) 62.5% Thinking (T) 37.5%
Perceiving (P) 66.67% Judging (J) 33.33%

Introverted (I) 62.5% Extroverted (E) 37.5%
Intuitive (N) 58.33% Sensing (S) 41.67%
Feeling (F) 75% Thinking (T) 25%
Perceiving (P) 50% Judging (J) 50%

Intuitive (N) 54.17% Sensing (S) 45.83%
Feeling (F) 83.33% Thinking (T) 16.67%
Judging (J) 54.17% Perceiving (P) 45.83%
(Holy Feeling! O_O)

In short, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find our "borderline" kin fairly common. :p
This is actually quite typical for a number of well developed NF types.

I don't know if this test is posted somewhere else on this forum, but you might want to try this one. It attempts to measure development in specific cognitive functions. (This is where the scores in my sig come from)

Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes

This test also attempts to do the same, but I find its approach to be less accurate as it pits functions against one another rather than attempting to isolate them.

Free Personality Test, with an in-depth analysis

1 - 4 of 4 Posts