Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, now I'm really confused. I really thought I was INFJ, but now I've tested as INFJ three times and INFP 2 times. The P and J tend to be really close. The F and T are pretty close too.

I identify more with the INFJ type because it is the most intuitive, and I have had experiences bordering on the clairvoyant. But I'm also highly artistic and musical. Ehhh...

Can you all help me? :confused:

Reactions: Angel1412kaitou

·
Registered
58 Posts
We would need more information to help. An INFPs dominate function is Fi, or introverted feeling. INFJs dominate function is Ni or introverted intuition. It's not just a matter of J or P :). You could also look at the secondary functions to help you.

Do you use Fi or Fe? If your emotions are more internal and identity based, it's an INFP thing. You'll spend a lot of time trying to flesh out who you are based on your emotions and what thing mean to you based on your feelings. As for the Fe, you'll spend most of your emotions on other people, being polite and such. Your emotions are directed outwards making you appear a bit more charming or at least more aware of manners lol (I believe people with Fe who know how to use it are more charming at least).

Do you use Ne (INFP) or Ni (INFJ)? Extroverted Intuition is not making things up out of the blue like Ni is. Think of Ne more geared towards metaphors, similes etc. Making things out of other things. Ni is more like a symbol. "It is because it is"...not "it is because of this and that" like Ne does.

I hoped I was somewhat correct on this stuff and that it helps you!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, that did help some. As I was trying to find some of the fundamental differences, the one that struck me most was that INFP's tend to be very optimistic, and that is very definitely not me. I tend to be more realistic in my assessment of the future. I've been accused of being very negative.

I'm definitely more of a crusader than seems likely for an INFP also. I want to do something about the world's problems, not just feel bad about it or discuss it. I'm also more critical than an INFP would probably be.

I'm not that good at discussing functions as I haven't learned a lot about them yet, but from what I've gathered so far, I believe my original belief that I must be INFJ must be true.

·
Registered
58 Posts
There are some dark INFPs out there as well haha. But from the get up and do something instead of think about it point...you're probably an INFJ. You're welcome!:cool:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I actually think you could be ENFP. (I'm an ENFP that might seem introverted during contemplative phases or when I'm under stress.)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Are you more future focused and proactive/directive (INFJ) or present orientated and reactive/adaptive (INFP)?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you more future focused and proactive/directive (INFJ) or present orientated and reactive/adaptive (INFP)?
Definitely more future oriented. I'm a planner and a worrier to the max.

I actually think you could be ENFP. (I'm an ENFP that might seem introverted during contemplative phases or when I'm under stress.)
What leads you to think that? I suppose it's possible, but most of the tests I've done have had me at the far end of the introverted spectrum. Never have come up with an E result.

·
Registered
479 Posts
This may be out of order but im going to say it anyways.

MBTI has a glitch where it is ASSUMED that (in your particular case) dominant Ni coupled with Fe are UNIQUE for INFJs or Fi dominant coupled with Ne are UNIQUE for INFPs.

Myers-Briggs claim that E/I preferences are BOUNDED to J/P attitudes. Actually this is more of a fallacy then a "theoretical decision", since there is no evidence that it applies as imposed by Myers-Briggs. This is a foul rule just because, so don't even bother trying to fit into a type.

If what you seek is self understanding then look inside; if you want to understand in terms of MBTI you will have lots of problems concerning the J-P dichotomy (most people do).
If you want to get a deeper understanding about your cognitive preference do this test:
http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/assessment/develop_old.html

Then focus on deducing how your scores point towards your dominant function and avoid the typing the test will give you.

Other questions for you:

you say you are Intuitive and believe to be dominant intuitive; why do you think so? what do you consider Intuition to stand for? how does your intuition reflect in your daily life?
You propose (or maybe i'm misinterpreting) that artistic tendencies are counter-poled to intuition OR adhered to feeling (or both, or partially one and/or the other, or none); why do you believe so?
How are you artistic (musical)?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This may be out of order but im going to say it anyways.

MBTI has a glitch where it is ASSUMED that (in your particular case) dominant Ni coupled with Fe are UNIQUE for INFJs or Fi dominant coupled with Ne are UNIQUE for INFPs.

Myers-Briggs claim that E/I preferences are BOUNDED to J/P attitudes. Actually this is more of a fallacy then a "theoretical decision", since there is no evidence that it applies as imposed by Myers-Briggs. This is a foul rule just because, so don't even bother trying to fit into a type.

If what you seek is self understanding then look inside; if you want to understand in terms of MBTI you will have lots of problems concerning the J-P dichotomy (most people do).
If you want to get a deeper understanding about your cognitive preference do this test:
http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/assessment/develop_old.html

Then focus on deducing how your scores point towards your dominant function and avoid the typing the test will give you.

Other questions for you:

you say you are Intuitive and believe to be dominant intuitive; why do you think so? what do you consider Intuition to stand for? how does your intuition reflect in your daily life?
You propose (or maybe i'm misinterpreting) that artistic tendencies are counter-poled to intuition OR adhered to feeling (or both, or partially one and/or the other, or none); why do you believe so?
How are you artistic (musical)?
I don't feel that intuition is necessarily related to being artistic or feeling. I believe it is way of aquiring knowledge. I may be wrong in that, I have not read much on the functions yet. I'm mainly going on the type descriptions. I feel pretty strongly that INFJ is the only type that really fits. I guess that right there is intuiton. The main reason I feel that I am dominant intuitive is because I very often "just know" things. And it usually turns out that I'm right. I've had several episodes that almost seemed clairvoyant. I won't tell of them here because I almost always get ridiculed when I do.

I'm artistic in every sense of the word. I am good at creating visual art, music, and poetry. I'm just very expressive. But I'm probably more musical than anything. And right after that would come writing. I love to write.

One thing that has me a little confused is that I tend to be very logical. I get pretty irritated when someone is acting irrationally, and even more so when I am acting that way. I want everything to make sense. But at the same time I'm certainly not averse to accepting something that cannot be explained or measured scientifically. I believe in humility in the face of the unknown. The truth cannot always be measured.

Anyway, sorry I can't seem to explain things concretely using knowledge of the functions, I just don't have that knowledge yet.

Marco Antonio, you sound like my Dad! He's INTJ I believe.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Definitely more future oriented. I'm a planner and a worrier to the max.

What leads you to think that? I suppose it's possible, but most of the tests I've done have had me at the far end of the introverted spectrum. Never have come up with an E result.
Most personality tests peg me as an introvert solidly too, but it's not my optimal state of function. It took me a long time to realize that because I'm usually under a lot of stress and am functioning sub-optimally. It's hard to describe why I think ENFP, as it's just a vibe I get. INFP is possible, but you seem to be (in my estimation) fairly outspoken for an INFP. Although I have known an outspoken INFP, it seems more likely that you're ENFP.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most personality tests peg me as an introvert solidly too, but it's not my optimal state of function. It took me a long time to realize that because I'm usually under a lot of stress and am functioning sub-optimally. It's hard to describe why I think ENFP, as it's just a vibe I get. INFP is possible, but you seem to be (in my estimation) fairly outspoken for an INFP. Although I have known an outspoken INFP, it seems more likely that you're ENFP.
That's part of the reason I think INFJ and not INFP. INFJ's are often mistaken for extroverts principally because they can be very outspoken. Oprah Winfrey is one example.

I don't gain energy from socialization though, it drains me. The only way for me to recharge is to be alone. Sometimes socialization can be so draining that I will start to shake.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I don't feel that intuition is necessarily related to being artistic or feeling. I believe it is way of aquiring knowledge. I may be wrong in that, I have not read much on the functions yet.
i recomend you read Classics in the History of Psychology -- Jung (1921/1923) Chapter 10
if you really want to directly go into the essence of the functions and maybe do some introspection, just to be sure what your start point is; give it a thought.

I'm mainly going on the type descriptions. I feel pretty strongly that INFJ is the only type that really fits. I guess that right there is intuiton. The main reason I feel that I am dominant intuitive is because I very often "just know" things. And it usually turns out that I'm right. I've had several episodes that almost seemed clairvoyant. I won't tell of them here because I almost always get ridiculed when I do.
I'll try to give you a hint as an Ni user> Introverted Intuition works literally by constantly envisioning projections of your assumed future happenings; apparently pointed subjectively out at the present moment. You get an understanding of what the profound meaning of these happenings are linked to your living destination. The main dfference as opposed to Extraverted intuition is that you barely take part in the process directly. Rather indirectly, relying on your focus of the observation that is needed to be made for you to understand what you need to understand. You perceive a certain image of the unveiling, while the unveiling is attached to certain expectations of a trusted point in the future where the user will have success. Looking at the object and understanding your perception of the object as a tip of your relationship of involvement with what you currently interpret as reality; but also looking at memories and searching for meaning, where this meaning is always expected at certain point to come true.

I'm artistic in every sense of the word. I am good at creating visual art, music, and poetry. I'm just very expressive. But I'm probably more musical than anything. And right after that would come writing. I love to write.
what do you like about expressing yourself, why do you look for art to do so?
What kind of writings do you do? what makes music more important then anything?

One thing that has me a little confused is that I tend to be very logical. I get pretty irritated when someone is acting irrationally, and even more so when I am acting that way. I want everything to make sense. But at the same time I'm certainly not averse to accepting something that cannot be explained or measured scientifically. I believe in humility in the face of the unknown. The truth cannot always be measured.
what does it mean for you, acting irrationally? how do you look for sense?

Anyway, sorry I can't seem to explain things concretely using knowledge of the functions, I just don't have that knowledge yet.
don't worry you'll get to that point at some time. faster is you start reading right away :proud:

Marco Antonio, you sound like my Dad! He's INTJ I believe.
why do you believe so?
don't worry i'm certainly no-ones's dad yet :laughing:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just lost a very long and well thought out post because of my glitchy connection.:angry: But I'll try to recompose it later.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Well, now I'm really confused. I really thought I was INFJ, but now I've tested as INFJ three times and INFP 2 times. The P and J tend to be really close. The F and T are pretty close too.

I identify more with the INFJ type because it is the most intuitive, and I have had experiences bordering on the clairvoyant. But I'm also highly artistic and musical. Ehhh...

Can you all help me? :confused:
Analise the difference between Ni and Fi and you will know.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hey...I posted this in the main forum but maybe this is cool if I post it here too? It's quite long...sorry :/

So over 6 years I have changed from an INFJ to an INFP and back to an INFJ.

My initial test was in college in 2004 an the results were INFJ. Later on in 2005 my results were INFP. But I'm wondering if it's because I went through a lot of life experience and believed that I should change my thought process and open to ideas etc..

My results over the years...

1:08am Saturday, Dec 8, 2007
Introverted (I) 58.97% Extroverted (E) 41.03%
Intuitive (N) 68.42% Sensing (S) 31.58%
Feeling (F) 62.07% Thinking (T) 37.93%
Perceiving (P) 56.1% Judging (J) 43.9%

10:36pm Monday, Jun 11, 2007
Introverted (I) 54.29% Extroverted (E) 45.71%
Intuitive (N) 57.58% Sensing (S) 42.42%
Feeling (F) 61.76% Thinking (T) 38.24%
Perceiving (P) 57.5% Judging (J) 42.5%

January 26th/2008
Introverted (I) 65.63% Extroverted (E) 34.38%
Intuitive (N) 65% Sensing (S) 35%
Feeling (F) 56.25% Thinking (T) 43.75%
Perceiving (P) 52.5% Judging (J) 47.5%

And the most recent results which is sorta the zinger/ catalyst for this new post...

Results - 41 Questions

July 2010
Introverted (I) 76.47% Extroverted (E) 23.53%
Intuitive (N) 66.67% Sensing (S) 33.33%
Feeling (F) 70.59% Thinking (T) 29.41%
Judging (J) 68.57% Perceiving (P) 31.43%

So here are some examples..

That my first impression of a person may not be correct (I learned this and regretted typing a person right off the bat once I got to know them).
My habits of organization concerning my room is fairly organized I guess. I make sure I kept all my receipts...I sort them etc. There is a filing system in my room and I keep a 4 month calendar. When I was younger (say around 8 years) I had my life planned out when I was going to move out of my parents house and what age I'd be when I was going to get married. Before I went to college I had gone to their open house 4 times!!

I do enjoy being spontaneous once an a while but most of the time I already have plans!!! So there is no room to be spontaneous. If I'm hanging out with people and something doesn't work out, I'm open to doing something else. Ie/ movie theater ran out of tickets...so lets go play some pool.

OK so I've been reading that from the INFJ or INFP? a closer look site...

"The directing types are inclined to "tell, ask, urge." They are "moving forward" and they sound "definite." The informing types, on the other hand, tend to "inform, inquire, explain, describe." They are "flowing, open, eliciting." INFPs sound patient while INFJs sound impatient. INFPs tend to perpetuate conversations; INFJs often kill them. INFJs focus on time and task, while INFPs focus on the emergent process. INFPs can sometimes be longwinded; INFJs can sometimes be short-winded (both to their own detriments!)."

The following article is much of an interest of mine...

Can Your Myers-Briggs Type Change?/Neuroplasticity: The Adaptable Brain | AnnHolm.net

Ok now I'm going to try to learn something. If I'm off, please help me. I'm trying to understand this as people are saying that the J and P aren't really the deciding factors but it is Cognition? Anyways, I really want to learn more about what this is etc...but before I educate myself and ruin the results...I like to think the less I know about a subject the less I'm able to manipulate the output...

Here are my results from Keys 2 Cognition:

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ********** (10.3)
unused
introverted Sensing (Si) ****************************** (30.6)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ****************************** (30.6)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************************************* (45.7)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************************* (33.7)
good use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************* (13.3)
unused
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************************* (37.6)
excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************** (38.6)
excellent use

INFJ vs INFP
Dominant- Ni- 45.7 Fi- 38.6
Auxiliary- Fe- 37.6 Ne-30.6
Teriary (less developed) Ti- 13.3 (unused) Si-30.6
Inferior(less developed Se-10.3 (unused) Te-33.7

The results said:

"If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENFJ, or INTJ

If these results are different from what you know of yourself, you might consider why your developmental pattern does not align with your expectation. You might also consider exploring this result as a possible better fit."

INFP wasn't even something that they suggested...

I know that there are people who have been on this site for quite a while and can probably lend me some insight into this little dilemma of mine... Groans...

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Hey...I posted this in the main forum but maybe this is cool if I post it here too? It's quite long...sorry :/

So over 6 years I have changed from an INFJ to an INFP and back to an INFJ.

I know that there are people who have been on this site for quite a while and can probably lend me some insight into this little dilemma of mine... Groans...
You need to compare the cognitive functions of both types and find in there what fits you best.

INFP = Fi Ne Si Te
INFJ = Ni Fe Ti Se

The first function is the most important one.

from www.cognitiveprocesses.com
Introverted iNtuiting involves synthesizing the seemingly paradoxical or contradictory, which takes understanding to a new level. Using this process, we can have moments when completely new, unimagined realizations come to us. A disengagement from interactions in the room occurs, followed by a sudden “Aha!” or “That’s it!” The sense of the future and the realizations that come from introverted iNtuiting have a sureness and an imperative quality that seem to demand action and help us stay focused on fulfilling our vision or dream of how things will be in the future. Using this process, we might rely on a focal device or symbolic action to predict, enlighten, or transform. We could find ourselves laying out how the future will unfold based on unseen trends and telling signs. This process can involve working out complex concepts or systems of thinking or conceiving of symbolic or novel ways to understand things that are universal. It can lead to creating transcendent experiences or solutions.
It is often hard to assign words to the values used to make introverted Feeling judgments since they are often associated with images, feeling tones, and gut reactions more than words. As a cognitive process, it often serves as a filter for information that matches what is valued, wanted, or worth believing in. There can be a continual weighing of the situational worth or importance of everything and a patient balancing of the core issues of peace and conflict in life’s situations. We engage in the process of introverted Feeling when a value is compromised and we think, “Sometimes, some things just have to be said.” On the other hand, most of the time this process works “in private” and is expressed through actions. It helps us know when people are being fake or insincere or if they are basically good. It is like having an internal sense of the “essence” of a person or a project and reading fine distinctions among feeling tones.
These 2 are very different from eachother. Which one describes you best?

·
Registered
479 Posts
@dhomuniqe

This is what i mean by J/P dichotomies being irrelevant for the typing. First look for how the functions are related to each other. As far as my interpretation tells, there should be plausible for people with F-N-S-T preferences (in that order) to have dominant Fi and auxiliary Ni, these functions don't compete with each other.

On the other side, having high Ni and Ne is somewhat contradictory; either the interpretation of the questions are wrongly confirmed by you or your understanding about the functions is flawed.

An introverted intuitive will neglect extroverted Intuition because they are competing with each other. The imagination is either focusing on the outside perspective and how it is interrelated, or towards the inside where images of the unconscious arrive.
Most people supposedly rating high on Ni hardly can describe how their Intuition works, but instead are able to point out they are certain to be introverted intuitives "just because a hunch or feeling" (their interpretation of "suddenly realizing an "ah ha!" answer out of nowhere" But this is out of order acording to how Ni works.
They don't explain what focal devises they use for example to transform themselves, which is a basic method any Ni dominant would notice having.
Ni dominants experience visions literally, experienced out direct of judgment. This contradict most Ni believers who want introverted intuition to be presumed as somewhat a magical or mystical attribute of themselves. People like feeling special so they select Ni types because they scale lowest in percentage of the studies, but in my dealing with most Ni self-typing, they barely describe what it is supposedly assigned to Ni by Jung.

To be more exact i can tell you for example when dealing with myself in Ni: as my body starts to get cold i'm not so aware, paying so much attention to it becoming cold, but rather, to the envision of a mammoth collapsing to the right side and falling to the snow, then as if time accelerates see the mammoth transforming to bones, which gives me a hint of how keeping in such an environment might lead myself to extinction. But there is no magic in this, just unconscious process, somewhat included in active consciousness.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm definitely more of a crusader than seems likely for an INFP also. I want to do something about the world's problems, not just feel bad about it or discuss it. I'm also more critical than an INFP would probably be.
This statement aligns very well with my suppositions on the difference between INFJ and INFP, leading me to say INFJ--as it does for you, I'm sure.
I'm not that good at discussing functions as I haven't learned a lot about them yet, but from what I've gathered so far, I believe my original belief that I must be INFJ must be true.
I can't help mentioning that I don't consider knowledge of the functions under the mbti system to be an asset. I won't spam your thread with an essay though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts