Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I take the Myers Briggs test, I'm very evenly split between judging and perceiving. My test results are in my signature, it's nearly 50/50. I identify more with the description for INFJ, but sometimes I doubt myself (considering how rare INFJ's actually are). Does anyone else have this problem? Has anyone experienced it before?

·
Registered
737 Posts
No, no, no.

You should read descriptions on first introverted intuition (Ni) and introverted feeling (Fi) and then on extraverted intuition (Ne) and extroverted feeling (Fe).

If it seems that Fi and Ne fit you more than Ni and Fe, you are most likely an INFP.
If the reverse is true, you are most likely an INFJ.
If neither fit you then you are neither.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Yeah, my numbers fluctuate with my mood, but there was a time where my J/P was within 5% of each other. The easiest way is to look at the functions individually. INFJ = Ni Fe Ti Se and INFP = Fi Ne Si Te Pretty clear if you know which ones who associate with. My Ti is as strong as my NI, which means there's only one type I fit into.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
lol Did you even read my post? If you are a J then you are Ni Fe Ti Se and if you are a P then you are Fi Ne Si Te, which are completely opposite functions! It's not as simple as just thinking INF plus J or P.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I mean the only problem is between judging and perceiving. I'm definitely a judger, but only by a small per cent.
It isn't a percentage that determines whether or not you're a judger or perceiver.

You are a judger or perceiver based upon what your first extraverted cognitive function is.

For example, ENFJs and INFJs are judgers because 'they' use extraverted feeling (Fe). This would be the same for those whose first extraverted function is extraverted thinking (Te).

ENFPs and INFPs are perceivers because 'they' use extraverted intuition (Ne). This would be the same for those whose first extraverted function is extraverted sensing (Se).

This thread should help explain the difference between judging and perceiving functions.

Here is a post that should help as well:
Gauntlet said:
The judging functions are:

* Fi (introverted feeling)
* Fe (extroverted feeling)
* Ti (introverted thinking)
* Te (extroverted thinking)

The perceiving functions are:

* Si (introverted sensing)
* Se (extroverted sensing)
* Ni (introverted intuition)
* Ne (extroverted intuition)

Your type is INTP so you're Ti-Ne. Your dominant function is a judging function while your second function is a perceiving function. Thing is our type (the four letters) is a "code".

* INTP: a P for an introvert means the second letter is extroverted and the third introverted; the I means the the introverted function comes before the extroverted function
* INTJ: a J for an introvert means the second letter is introverted and the second extroverted; the I means the the introverted function comes before the extroverted function

* ENTP: a P for an extrovert means the second letter is extroverted and the third introverted; the E means the extroverted function comes before the introverted function
* ENTJ: a J for an extrovert means the second letter is introverted and the third extroverted; the E means the extroverted function comes before the introverted function

Every type consists of two introverted and two extroverted functions. As well as two judging functions and two perceiving functions.

* INTP: Ti (J) - Ne (P) - Si (P) - Fe (J)

So as a dominant judger do you find yourself more "more opinionated, more willing to express those opinions, more likely to have a temper, and more naturally organized"?

The thing is types have overlapping behaviors. Behaviors attributed to the J/P dichotomy aren't accurate. Instead view Js as needing a resolution (even if they need more input), while Ps continually need more input (even if the situation is truly finalized). It doesn't mean one is more open minded then the other either. It means Js want something final, while Ps need to keep their options open to feel comfortable.

It's also good to note, all Ps have Ti, or Fi and Se or Ne as one of their leading functions, while Js have Te or Fe, and Ni or Si in theirs. It's the combo of functions that make us a P or J you see.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I'm actually the only one being condescending. SuperunknownVortex is being 100% helpful. Perhaps I should just leave this topic alone.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
That's why I think you are ISFJ because you automatically ASSUMED I meant it in a negative way. I make no claim as to any type being better than another. I merely was making an assumption based off what I've read in this thread and the evidence pointed to ISFJ, thus I provided my THEORY. No harm meant. More like, I was trying to be humorous, which as a side note, always BACKFIRED with my ISFJ girlfriend. She would think I was trying to be mean when I was trying to be funny only to retort "Well that's not funny." But I digress...

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
1. I had already stated that I should leave the topic alone and was basically saying "One more post" in code.
2. I thought it would make the statement seem a little more funny like when you add "lol" to the end of a joke so people know you're being sarcastic.
3. My humor is completely subjective and I don't stop to think if OTHERS will laugh. If I deem it funny, it goes.
4. I am a bad judge of my own character. I will do things even if I don't think I should. I thought you might take it the wrong way and YET I still posted it. This say a lot about my personality.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Anyone else having problems viewing images in posts and sigs or is it just my end?

EDIT: Nevermind, seems like it was just my end. Ignore this post.

·
Registered
712 Posts
"So as a dominant judger do you find yourself more 'more opinionated, more willing to express those opinions, more likely to have a temper, and more naturally organized?'"

I would say that this is more like me. Only I'm not very organized.
I"m sorry, but I'm going to stop and criticize you here because I just did a head slap at this and it hurt. Read what it says right underneath that sentence - thinking about dominant judgers in those sorts of terms is inaccurate, as dominant perceivers could have exactly those attributes too.

What SuperUnknown and ertertwert have been trying to tell you is that trying to define your type just by letters in the code is not sufficient. However, it is the way that the test is performed, and the majority of people who don't look any deeper into type theory will make the mistake that the letters is all there is. If you really want to know who you are, check out the Cognitive Functions section of Personality Forum, read up on the difference between extraverted and introverted intuition, extraverted and introverted feeling, extraverted and introverted thinking, and extraverted and introverted sensing.

If, after that, you think that you use introverted feeling and extraverted intuition as your dominant functions then you are INFP, but if you think you use introverted intuition and extraverted feeling then you are INFJ. Of course you may find that instead you use introverted sensing and extraverted feeling, which would make you an ISFJ, or introverted feeling with extraverted sensing which would make you an ISFP.

You may also find that you use an extraverted function as your dominant function - you could be an ENFJ or ENFP who just happens to be more introverted for example - when you are looking at function theory, the I/E and J/P indicate the order of functions, not where you stand on the introverted/extraverted or judging/perceiving dichotomies. I am an outgoing INFJ, but the fact that I still spend the majority of my time lost inside my own head and the fact that I'd rather be theorizing in my head than acting on those theories makes me an Introverted Intuition dominant. When I do go into action it's people-related not thing and logic-related so my auxillary function is Extraverted Feeling.

Does that make sense to you? Try to stop thinking about letter and instead delve into functions - you will be confused for a while as it is a more complicated process, but you will be glad you did it eventually as you will have a much better sense of where you fit.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts