Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been interested in typology for a while now, and although I can analyze others, I find it hard to analyze myself. On the Enneagram quiz, I tend to test as a 5w6 and on the SLOAN typing test I am RLEOI. I've been reading on cognitive functions, and I think I'm more Te/Fi, but am unsure because I tend to shift between INFJ and INTJ on online tests. A sincere thanks to anyone who can help!

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
Well, I'm fairly certain that I am an INxJ, but am not sure if I am Te/Fi or Fe/Ti. I don't feel like a stereotypical "feeler" with a strong Fe because although I can sometimes sense the emotions of others, I have no clue how to act around them. I am terrible at comforting people and according to those close to me, I don't express many emotions and apparently remain pretty stoic. However, I don't feel like a "thinker" with a strong Te, because although I am curious about why things happen and like to think about things systematically, I don't have to question everything. I am very curious about things that interest me (psychology, biology, etc) but I don't feel the need to question how everything works. I can definitely push away my emotions when needed, and sometimes I feel out of place in an emotional situation, but I know what the other people are feeling. Feelings are not foreign to me, but there have been times when I just can't seem to feel them myself. For the above reasons, I am confused about my type.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

This is a bit harder for me to answer because I don't have my life completely figured out yet. As of now, I want to broaden my horizons, learn more about things I'm interested in, and feel like I'm making some kind of positive mark on the world. I'd like to have a job where I can use my training and skills to help other people, whether that be directly or indirectly. For example, a doctor or another job in the medical field would be perfect for me.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

I tend to feel at my finest when I'm able to meet my goals. For example, I had a very busy week full of school-related evaluations and my driver's exam. I'm a perfectionist so these kinds of things mean a lot to me. Although that period of time was torturous between the studying and the stress, I felt great when it was over because I had met my goals.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

I often feel inferior when I'm around extremely negative or controlling people, or when others assume that I don't know what I'm talking about. In other words, when people make me feel stupid. For example, I had a friend that had a very controlling personality and needed to be the best at everything. Needless to say, we were highly competitive with one another and I often felt inferior to her.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
Generally, my gut feeling has the biggest impact on my decisions. I will still make a list of pros and cons and try and think about the people involved, but if my gut feeling says no, then I'll say no.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
I like to be the person in charge of a group, although I'm not your typical leader. Instead, I "suggest" things from the sidelines and if someone refuses to do the such, I have a tendency to do it myself. To tell the truth, I can get sort of bossy when working in a group with someone. I'm a natural perfectionist, so I can't stand for things to not be done right. I'd much rather work on something alone because the results are my own, and I am solely responsible for how it turns out.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

I left home on a school-arranged trip to a city 3-4 hours away. I was younger, of course, but I loved it because it was my first time being truly independent and the first time I had ever been on an airplane. We left at night, and I can remember the excitement as I watched the lights below grow smaller and fainter beneath the plane. At that moment, my world seemed to expand and everything felt ... real.

Other than that, the majority of my fun moments have occurred while in small groups with my friends, but it's nothing specific.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

It really depends on what I'm learning. If it's something I'm interested in, I tend to theorize and speculate, delving deeper into the subject. However, if it's something I'm forced to learn and have no interest in the topic, I rely on memorization to remember the facts. I don't particularly like to memorize, but I will if I am forced to. I'm not a tactile learner, and I am terrible at using my hands.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

Extremely. I like everything to be in its place at all times, and I hate clutter. I don't care as much about the state inside my drawers or closets, but I can't stand to see things openly out of place. For example, a stack of dishes next to a sink will bug me, while a lump of clothes hidden in my closet will not bother me as much. I also enjoy planning things, and I plan my day ahead of time. I can be quite inflexible when my prearranged plans have to change. Basically, yes, I like all aspects of my life to be organized.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

Both. First I will try and understand the idea by seeking what's behind it, and if it makes sense, I'll look for more information that supports it. If its principles don't make sense, I chuck the idea.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

I like to know that everyone else is doing well and is comfortable, but I will not go out of my way to do so. In a group setting, I try not to conform to others' opinions but I do know when to bite my tongue. Actually, I tend to bite my tongue a lot. I won't sacrifice my own thoughts and values to fit in, but I don't feel the need to constantly voice them either.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

I try to think before speaking, because it is easy to say something offensive without even realizing it, but I tend to impulsively speak when I'm angry. Oftentimes, when I am angry, it's like the gates of my brain open and a lot of negative thoughts spill outs that I otherwise would try to keep to myself.

I prefer one-on-one communication as opposed to a group because it's less awkward and I don't feel like I have to pretend or put on a facade.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
I like to know what I'm jumping into before acting. Although I can be impulsive, I try to think about things rationally and think about the long-term effects of my actions. In my opinion, actions mean much more than words because anyone can speak, but it takes much more energy and courage to actually do something. To me, a promise is nothing until it is acted upon.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

Probably stay home, although it depends on how close the friends are. If they're extremely close to me, I might consider, but otherwise I'd rather stay home. Hopefully, if they were close to me, they'd understand anyway. I have a tendency to avoid social events, and this sometimes means that I miss out on a fun time, but I also miss out on potential awkwardness.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

When I'm stressed out, I become obsessed with mundane things that really don't matter in everyday life. For example, when stressed out, I might become extremely picky about what I eat or what I wear to avoid the subject that I'm stressed about. Instead of worrying about an upcoming exam, I'll procrastinate and worry about what I'm going to wear that day. I may also become snappy and overly critical towards others. When it gets really extreme, I literally can't do anything and I'll just break down and cry. Funnily enough, I don't cry about things that often, and when I'm stressed, I don't even know what I'm crying about. I just feel the need to, and I can't help it.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

I dislike people who are so blinded by their own viewpoints and opinions that they refuse to listen to the opinions of others, or to consider another viewpoint on the world. Don't get me wrong, I admire people who have strong opinions/values but I dislike people who feel the need to shove their beliefs down others' throats. I'm the kind of person who doesn't care what you believe in, as long as you don't try and make me believe the same. Just let me believe what I want to believe, and you believe what you want. I also dislike manipulative people who use others for their own selfish benefit. I realize that everyone does it to some extent, but I dislike it when people do it on purpose. I also dislike when people act fake nice to people when in reality, they don't even like them. Generally, although I'm not outright rude to those I don't agree with, I won't pretend to be their best friend. I will be polite, yes, but I won't go out of my way to be kind. Sincerity means a lot to me, and I won't pretend to like someone that I actually don't for my own benefit. Therefore people who act in such a way seriously irk me.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

I tend to talk about things I'm interested in at the time. I talk about topics such as psychology, the future, a favorite TV show, upcoming events, interesting news items, and my family. Nothing too exciting.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life?

I don't pay a whole lot of attention to trying to fit in or have a whole lot of social interaction with people that I'm not close to. I'm generally one of the last people to hear a rumor or common gossip, because I really don't pay a whole lot of attention to creating a social circle or going out with other people. Unlike some people my age, I don't care to go out to parties and I try not to care what other people say about me. I try to just concern myself with what's going on with myself and the people close to me.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

This is a hard question to answer because I can't really get into their heads, but I'll try my best. As far as I know, my friends perceive me to be very serious and intense. Apparently I'm the least excitable person they know and they've noticed that it takes a lot of convincing to make me go out with them. According to one friend, they don't know what I'd do with my time if there was no school or work. I've been told by a few friends that I'm mysterious and hard to know, and I've been told that I have a strong work ethic and that they expect me to be honest. A few of my friends also see me as a total perfectionist and control freak, to put it lightly. Apparently I also gaze off into space too much, and I zone out of conversations easily. When I'm confused or in deep thought, it's easy to see because I scrunch up my face and get this concerned/confused look.

I guess I have to agree with their perceptions, although I didn't think I was as serious as they think I am. I know that I'm not the most exciting person, but I didn't think it was that hard to excite me. I can definitely see the "zoning out" thing because I often get stuck in my own thoughts and world.

My friends would probably never call me manipulative or overly outgoing, nor would they call me messy or unorganized.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

I'd probably go for a walk, watch my favorite TV show, research something I'm interested in, possibly do some shopping, and visit a bookstore/coffee shop. Nothing too taxing, but I probably wouldn't spend the day in my PJs either.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I can definitely push away my emotions when needed, and sometimes I feel out of place in an emotional situation, but I know what the other people are feeling.
I have a question for you (two, actually). When you say, in the above sentence, that you know what other people are feeling, do you feel that you can empathize with that person? Or are you only aware of the expected response to someone's emotional state?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a question for you (two, actually). When you say, in the above sentence, that you know what other people are feeling, do you feel that you can empathize with that person? Or are you only aware of the expected response to someone's emotional state?
As with everything, it depends on the situation and the person in question. Depending on the situation, I can empathize, but generally, it's the latter. I know how people generally feel and react to certain situations, but am unable to feel it myself if that makes sense.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts