Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, based on recent tests, I scored INFJ. But when I first tested the MBTI two years ago, I was typed INFP. Later on, as I learned more about typing, INFJ seemed to fit for a while. But I began to question how well. Someone else (online) suggested T, meaning INTJ is a possibility. This may be true. I am, analytical and very task oriented/focused. I have high Fi. And I've only just begun to develop my Fe in the last few years. I am a definite J when it comes to planning, schedule, knowing what i'm going to do before i do it. But i'm not great with deadlines. But I'm not sure if INTJ really fits.

So, please ask questions, or whatever you like and I'll try to answer them. Thx.

303 Posts
Which first comes to mind when making a big decision: the logical side, a pros and cons, or considerations of people, how you and others feel?

Is the first thing that strikes you the objective benefits or downsides of something, or how you or others will feel about it.

Are you better at expressing concern for others, or using the things right in front of you to create organization?
Do you do better at making sense of things you have observed or are accessible to you, or are you better at connecting with others and being accommodating?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which first comes to mind when making a big decision: the logical side, a pros and cons, or considerations of people, how you and others feel?
- Well, it depends on the type of decision. If it's a personal decision, then I'll weigh the pros ands cons, consider the possibilities, and then choose what feels right.
- If it's a decision which involves the long terms effects on the advancement of others, then I'll consider what's best for them. There is a caveat. My first instinct is not to think about how others feel unless I'm being judged by it in some capacity - in terms of job, etc.

Is the first thing that strikes you the objective benefits or downsides of something, or how you or others will feel about it.
- Probably the objective benefits or downsides.

Are you better at expressing concern for others, or using the things right in front of you to create organization?
- I'm better at using things to create organization. When someone tells me a problem, I will immediately empathize (something learned, not a natural response) and then I'll try to suggest things to help them.

Do you do better at making sense of things you have observed or are accessible to you, or are you better at connecting with others and being accommodating?
- I'm better at making sense of things I've observed - i enjoy the process of thinking about things, and realizing the truth of a situation; but of course it's important to be accommodating.

303 Posts
i would say INTJ. you're developing your F side, which is good, but it still sounds like you're an INTJ. they can seem somewhat similar at times, since they both share Introverted Intuition (Ni) as their dominant cognitive process, but the tertiary process that you seem to be more comfortable with is Extraverted Thinking (Te) rather than Extraverted Feeling (Fe.) We develop our other functions as we experience situations and as we age.
However the processes that we are most comfortable with indicate our best fit type, which for you seems to be INTJ.

that's my take anyway, not sure if it's completely accurate. feel free to correct or elaborate if you wish.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another question is:

INTJs with well developed Fe vs. INFJs with well developed Te - How do you tell the difference?

sidenote: this is my type dilemma.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
Another question is:

INTJs with well developed Fe vs. INFJs with well developed Te - How do you tell the difference?

sidenote: this is my type dilemma.
INTJ/INFJ's have Fe/Te as their 7th function, as a result, they will tend to look awkward and uncomfortable using them because it means making decisions completely different from what they are used to. Te doesn't care about social expectations or how a decision will affect other people's feelings, but it does care about efficiency and arriving at organizational closure that will procure a firm establishment on what goals they have on mind.

An INFJ that uses Te as defined above will feel uncomfortable rejecting personal expenses for goal-oriented objectives. Nevertheless, sometimes INFJ's will have to resort to these types of decisions in order to have a relevant outcome on whatever they're trying to achieve. To give you an example, and given that you have dominant preference for Ni, consider being stuck in a situation where you're demanded to use Se(a function that is the antithesis of Ni), how would you feel? Uncomfortable and the complete opposite of who you really are, right? Now transfer this feeling of incompetence and awkwardness and you will know what an INFJ will feel using Te, or an INTJ using Fe.

Of course, any person can and should engage in other functions because situations will demand that you adapt to them by means of cognitive proficiency. However, if you're an INFJ and have developed Te, you will still feel uncomfortable using it because you are an INFJ, not an INTJ. Clark Kent will always be Superman, no matter that he has disguised himself as a normal human being, that is his nature. The same thing with being an INFJ/INTJ, that is your nature.

Given the little information that you have provide so far about yourself, I will have to agree with the 'Rememberwhenitrained' and say that you're an INTJ who has the need to develop feeling qualities, and I commend you for it but still, you sound T-ish to me. In the end though, you have to arrive at that conclusion yourself.

The human mind is complicated and adaptive. Don't expect to fit completely in one system, explore other personality taxonomies such as the ennegram or the Big 5 and come with a model that you relate to.

Good luck

Reactions: Sonne

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
INTJ/INFJ's have Fe/Te as their 7th function, as a result, they will tend to look awkward and uncomfortable using them because it means making decisions completely different from what they are used to. Te doesn't care about social expectations or how a decision will affect other people's feelings, but it does care about efficiency and arriving at organizational closure that will procure a firm establishment on what goals they have on mind.

An INFJ that uses Te as defined above will feel uncomfortable rejecting personal expenses for goal-oriented objectives. Nevertheless, sometimes INFJ's will have to resort to these types of decisions in order to have a relevant outcome on whatever they're trying to achieve. To give you an example, and given that you have dominant preference for Ni, consider being stuck in a situation where you're demanded to use Se(a function that is the antithesis of Ni), how would you feel? Uncomfortable and the complete opposite of who you really are, right? Now transfer this feeling of incompetence and awkwardness and you will know what an INFJ will feel using Te, or an INTJ using Fe.

Of course, any person can and should engage in other functions because situations will demand that you adapt to them by means of cognitive proficiency. However, if you're an INFJ and have developed Te, you will still feel uncomfortable using it because you are an INFJ, not an INTJ. Clark Kent will always be Superman, no matter that he has disguised himself as a normal human being, that is his nature. The same thing with being an INFJ/INTJ, that is your nature.

Given the little information that you have provide so far about yourself, I will have to agree with the 'Rememberwhenitrained' and say that you're an INTJ who has the need to develop feeling qualities, and I commend you for it but still, you sound T-ish to me. In the end though, you have to arrive at that conclusion yourself.

The human mind is complicated and adaptive. Don't expect to fit completely in one system, explore other personality taxonomies such as the ennegram or the Big 5 and come with a model that you relate to.

Good luck
Thank for the description. I am 5w4 btw. Not sure how this fits in with INTJ typing.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
Thank for the description. I am 5w4 btw. Not sure how this fits in with INTJ typing.
It doesn't.

The ennegram deals with human motivations and fears, while the MBTI is more neurological. You could say that the former is environmental, the latter is inborn. Take this with a grain of salt since I'm still learning about the ennegram but this is what I have observed.

There are correlations with MBTI and ennegram, but I don't agree that one causes the other.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Although while browsing through the "You know you're an INTJ when . . ." i can relate to many statements made, i could say the same for the INFJ and INFP threads. I think it's more likely that I am an INFJ with tertiary Ti, as someone else said.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Look again at Te vs. Ti and Fe vs. Fi. That might help... Fi/Te or Ti/Fe are different animals.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:shocked:
Look again at Te vs. Ti and Fe vs. Fi. That might help... Fi/Te or Ti/Fe are different animals.
So, i read another thread describing the differences and Fi/Te seems to fit. But i'm not sure in what order Fi>>Te or Te>>Fi.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
:shocked:

So, i read another thread describing the differences and Fi/Te seems to fit. But i'm not sure in what order Fi>>Te or Te>>Fi.
That goes with your dominant. If your are Ni-dominant (INxJ) then Te is auxiliary and Fi tertiary. For any introvert type the two introverted functions are the first and third and the second and fourth extraverted. The opposite for an extravert personality.

So Ni-dominant + Fi/Te => INTJ (NiTeFiSe).

Reactions: Sonne

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, went through the process of asking this question on another forum since i've been there longer and the consensus is not likely INTJ but INFP. Both types use Fi+Te.

Reactions: penchant

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
So, went through the process of asking this question on another forum since i've been there longer and the consensus is not likely INTJ but INFP. Both types use Fi+Te.
Yes. Both are Fi+Te...

The difference is Ni/Se or Si/Ne.

INTJ (Ni,Te,Fi,Se)
INFP (Fi,Ne,Si,Te)

And since N is first or second in both types, you would probably be able to figure out if your N is Ne or Ni...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
curious result from this site:

Discordia Inc. - Just who the HELL do you THINK you are?

Results
Introversion (I): 17 versus Extroversion (E): 5
Sensing (S): 16 versus Intuition (N): 10
Thinking (T): 15 versus Feeling (F): 7
Judging (J): 16 versus Perceiving (P): 8

Making your MBTI code:

I S T J

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I wouldn't take more tests as you're likely to just make yourself more confused. I recommend reading in more detail about function and figure out how they work, then try to correlate it to your own thought and feeling process, take notes as you are reading. This is probably going to take you a week or two may be, but not only is it likely to point you towards you true type but also give you a better understanding of MBTI overall (and it is much more fun to hang out of these forums if you have good understanding of theory behind it too).

References to read over:
http://personalitycafe.com/cognitiv...iled-descriptions-each-function-attitude.html
ENFP Wiki
http://www.personalitypathways.com/article/type-dynamics.html
MBTI characteristics & 16 Personality Types
http://personalitycafe.com/articles/28997-explaining-ti-fi-types.html
Function Attitude
Fundamental Nature of the MBTI

In short, how I know that I am an INFJ and my friend is an INTJ:

The difference between two types is only in their judgement functions - INFJs use FeTi and INTJs use TeFi. How I know that I use FeTi is that Fe makes me judge other people on moral parameters, track give-an-take in relationships, in group environment I pay attention to who is generous and kind and who is lazy or selfish, it happens automatically in my mind. At the same time I judge myself critically due to my logic being introverted. I have my own standards of achievement that I try to fulfill and society or other people don't dictate those to me. Ti is also more like sneaky lawyer logic so people with Ti may not have good sense of following established laws and regulations.

My INTJ friend to the contrary judges other people on competitive, on performance basis. He values people who are competent and intelligent while devalues those are not so. My Fe to the contrary makes me value people who display what I consider to be positive moral values, but I could care less if they are competent and performing up to some standard. I am not prone to thinking other people are stupid, but I am prone to think that they are lacking in moral fibre. He is prone to thinking people are illogical. He is more law abiding than me, though not always, but he freaks out every time he gets a parking ticket for example. He also has no problem criticizing people, especially if they do these illogical things that anger him. At the same time his feeling are self-empathizing and his internal judgements are baked up by this self-empathy. Sometimes this makes me feel that he is really not an NT especially if his behavior is clearly dictated by what he personally feels like. I usually take actions which I think are 1) harmonious with other people (Fe) go along with their value system and 2) logical for me as person to take (Ti). He takes actions which he thinks 1) demonstrate competence based on external standards of achievement (Te) and 2) go along with her personal value system (Fi).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts