Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow INFJ's. I'd like to humbly beg your help and expertise.
After a long time identifying soley as INFJ, I have found myself flip flopping between wondering wether I'm truly INFJ, or possibly INTJ, or possibly another IN type.
To see ourselves as others see us...thats my purpose for this thread. I always find the opinions and insights of INFJ to be very accurate, on the whole,.. and cant think of a better bunch of people to ask about wether, in their opinion, I am INFJ to them, or something else.
I've been told by a few people lately that I seem to be more T than F,.. and I suppose the heart of what confuses me is this.. could I really be T but for some reason, my upbringing under an ENFJ mother who encouraged me to Fe a lot, has supperssed my true T nature? Or is Fe something that is natural to me, albeit I feel I use it almost reluctantly, and certainly try to avoid people, so that I dont have to drain myself using it.
I'm also a 5w4, if that sheds any light.
I know a lot of my real true behaviours and thoughts seem more Tish, but then, the F side is of me seems pretty strong too, I definately am compassionate and empathic,..so its all a rather confusing mess.
I'd love to hear your impressions, or gut feelings, or analyses. I'll answer any questions that could make it easier for you to try and type me , if needed.
I feel typically reluctant to ask, and put myself in the limelight, but its a question thats bugged me for a while.
Thank you in advance to all or any that are kind enough to respond.
G. x

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
To be able to tell you for sure, we'd have to go beyond the internet, I think.

It's not that you don't supply us with a wealth of evidence that may concede an answer. But have you ever considered that perhaps in here you act differently from what you may act like in day-to-day situations?

Once you can seed out the differences in your mannerisms between the internet and the real world, I believe you may come closer to your answer. To me, it seems to be an issue of who you are versus who you think you should be (or at least, that is how I'd deal with this issue myself).

And if you've already considered this, then feel free to disregard my ramblings. My two cents have been given.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you thought about or tried to make one of these?

MyJazz,..Hahahaha.. Thought about a replicator? I thought I WAS one,..ahahah. ah, my toys,..my little toys,:)
Thanks for your insights, much appreciated.

Zomboy,... ach, you always throw me a curveball, thats why I love yer posts, real life me, is a fair replica of an INFJ, inside the house me, which is probably me in the realest sense, is a lot more detached.. hard to tell what you are when you have as few meaningful relationships as I do.I do know though that my detachment is by choice though, maybe a very 5ish INFJ possibly.
G. x

·
Registered
712 Posts
I can't claim to know you well, but to me you seem like an INFJ who has developed your Ti so much that it is almost as strong, maybe even more strong than your Fe. When you are at home and isolated, you don't need to interact with the external world, so why wouldn't you use your Ti instead of Fe? When you are out in the real world, you use your Fe to get by.

I know that my Ti is very developed and it constantly tries to undermine my Fe, challenging it as to why I have to be so accommodating and responsive to other's needs and feelings. It wants me to be independent and individualistic and constantly criticizes me when I go against it to help someone out just for the sake of being "nice". The war between my Fe and Ti is never ending - and I have to say that I usually like myself better when the Ti wins. But I know I'm a better friend, wife, employee, person when the Fe wins.

INTJ's have the rep of being robot-like. They struggle to find any feeling whatsoever. They may be able to develop enough of a feeling side to interact with others in a polite and respectful way, but I very much doubt they could rise to the challenge of being empathetic. If you are an NT, I would very much doubt you are an INTJ. INTP perhaps, but not INTJ.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thankyou, Katykins,
A developed Ti makes sense to me,.. I especially relate to that Ti versus Fe battle.
Fe feels like the alarm that goes off for work in the morning, you really really dont want to get up, but most times, you do, because you feel compelled to.I feel the same wih utilising fe, I really dont wanna, but sometimes feel compelled to, but its always with a lot of internal grumbling..:)
G. x

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I dare the INTJ's to try to take you in as one of there own!!!!!!!
I will make Sylar look like a healthy INFJ...........

Okay, I think my opinion has stated enough >.<

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
You give an INFJ sense to me. Occasionally INFJs can confuse their Ti tertiary function for Te because we associate cold-hearted logical thinking with NTs, but we are still using Ti not Te and thus we're not INTJ hybrids. I've written a few paragraphs here about this: personalitycafe.com/infj-forum-protectors/31806-would-you-do-5.html#post689206

Even though Ti is our tertiary function I think INFJs may at times find themselves in situations where they fall on Ti quite often and thus might think of themselves as NTs. Some of these situations are transient. For example after break-up with my ex I really couldn't feel much emotion at all. It was all cold-hearted logic as I was heavily falling into my 'relief' tertiary function. I have observed that other people fall into same kind of cold-hearted logical state when they are breaking up with significant others - their logical T functions overtake their loving and cooperative F functions.

This kind of heavy falling into Ti can also be inborn as at times the secondary function is underdeveloped or frustrated in its development, thus the person comes to fall more on their tertiary rather than auxiliary function. This phenomenon is described here: personalitycafe.com/articles/25205-dominant-tertiary-loops-common-personality-disorders.html. For INFJs the dominant Ni-Ti loop is associated with having schizoid personality disorder - a personality that does feel the need or see much sense in connecting with others. While I am not really there I can definitely associate with some elements of this kind of personality disorder, as it seems my Fe is equal to my Ti and Fe does not often supersede my Ti it as it should be in INFJs. Thus in past I have also thought I might be some kind of INTJ hybrid but studying the theory in more detail I see this is not the case - I am indeed of INFJ personality preference, but due to various life circumstances I have fallen more to use of my auxiliary relief function Ti.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Most emlightening Vel, thanks so much, i'm going to do a bit of reading on loops,.. I feel like Im getting somewhere now.i've had help with this From myjazz and introspritual before,.. Its something that confuses me no end.
I'm not the most self aware person in the world.:blushed:
As i haunt these Forums, im begining to understand a little more about functions but still a noob really, in terms of applying it to myself.
G. x

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dare the INTJ's to try to take you in as one of there own!!!!!!!
I will make Sylar look like a healthy INFJ...........

Okay, I think my opinion has stated enough >.<

I imagine the INTJ's would look at me as the relative that needs to be locked up in the attic, the shamefull family secret, hahahha,..
One INTJ freind thinks I may be an NT, but he tends to get my most NiTi kinds of conversations, so there may be a bias there. I'm happy to stay in lovely INFJ land,.its a chill wind that blows through INTJ land at times..:) G. x

·
Registered
442 Posts
You're still INFJ... :wink:

Like you mentioned, the Enneagram 5 you test as is likely to explain a lot of the "distance" you prefer. And as INTJs are often type 5s, it's little wonder that you may confuse yourself for them. But at the end of the day, you seem to seek self-acceptance rather than mastery and mention the coldness of things, so that places you in the NF camp to me.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
To help further understand the "loops" put the function usage with "many faces of INFJ's".
If you like I could use more picture story telling to go with it >.<

To be honest unless you have something you need worked on I wouldn't bother to much about different function combo's. Sometimes when I understand something to an extent it just messes up my natural flow of things. I think it may have something to do with how I use my Ni a lot and my Ni/Ti combo usage, I prefer to allow my Ni to work it's magic. But don't let me get in your way in figuring it out.

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
Hello fellow INFJ's. I'd like to humbly beg your help and expertise.
After a long time identifying soley as INFJ, I have found myself flip flopping between wondering wether I'm truly INFJ, or possibly INTJ, or possibly another IN type.
To see ourselves as others see us...thats my purpose for this thread. I always find the opinions and insights of INFJ to be very accurate, on the whole,.. and cant think of a better bunch of people to ask about wether, in their opinion, I am INFJ to them, or something else.
I've been told by a few people lately that I seem to be more T than F,.. and I suppose the heart of what confuses me is this.. could I really be T but for some reason, my upbringing under an ENFJ mother who encouraged me to Fe a lot, has supperssed my true T nature? Or is Fe something that is natural to me, albeit I feel I use it almost reluctantly, and certainly try to avoid people, so that I dont have to drain myself using it.
I'm also a 5w4, if that sheds any light.
I know a lot of my real true behaviours and thoughts seem more Tish, but then, the F side is of me seems pretty strong too, I definately am compassionate and empathic,..so its all a rather confusing mess.
I'd love to hear your impressions, or gut feelings, or analyses. I'll answer any questions that could make it easier for you to try and type me , if needed.
I feel typically reluctant to ask, and put myself in the limelight, but its a question thats bugged me for a while.
Thank you in advance to all or any that are kind enough to respond.
G. x
I know it may not seem like it in several of my posts, but I was at one time trying to be more of a Ti.

Personally, I think Fe is underrated and misunderstood as some sort of weakness. Every function has an advantage and a drawback, as far as I'm concerned. (Ts seem "cold" to Fs, for example, as you know.)
Thinkers can argue all day long why they shouldn't be thought of in this light, as they believe themselves to be "the objective voice of reason", but sometimes certain circumstances call for someone to be more of an F.

Example of a true situation: My great-grandmother's son was killed, and she was devistated. My grandmother's sister said to her, "Why are you so upset? You still have four other children."

Even though the statement is true, it comes off as cold.

I know you want to be more of an INTJ, Goodewitch, but I do often wonder if you are not simply bitter about your life experiences to the point where you want to be issolated from the world. An INFJ can definatley feel that way- as I did.

The most important thing is that you are happy. MBTI won't give you the solution to happiness. That answer lies within yourself.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Goodewitch,

Without knowing you well. I would intuit INFJ especially after your post, so beautifully written in "I am and INFJ.... Fill in the blanks" or similar.

I am 60% =/- of all four INFJ. That means -without knowing a lot about this stuff - that I am 40% Extraverted etc. So as mentioned previously, you may have a developed T and I know I do as well. In fact, I wonder sometimes about my type as well.

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
Goodewitch,

Without knowing you well. I would intuit INFJ especially after your post, so beautifully written in "I am and INFJ.... Fill in the blanks" or similar.

I am 60% =/- of all four INFJ. That means -without knowing a lot about this stuff - that I am 40% Extraverted etc. So as mentioned previously, you may have a developed T and I know I do as well. In fact, I wonder sometimes about my type as well.
I wondered about my type for a long time. I actually tested online as an INTJ. I started getting on one of their forms and reading stuff like- "Does anyone here love nobody?"

Then I thought- "Damn. That can't be me. I don't want that to be me. That's terrible."

There is no question anymore. I don't know much about the Enegram (sp?) stuff that people talk about to be honest, but I am without any doubt whatsoever- an INFJ.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts