Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's about my brother (15 years :happy:)
I've made him do an online test twice, he tested as an ENFJ both times. But I know those free test are very inaccurate, and I just can't see him as an extravert. He is convinced, though....
So I'm considering the shy ENFJ...
How would I recognise the difference?
Extraverted feeling and introverted intuition are both obvious, but I don't know which is stronger...

·
MOTM Nov 2009
4,132 Posts
Why don't you consider the inferior functions - Ti and Se? If he's a teenager or older, you may notice he engages in his tertiary more (Ti or Se, ironically), so you may also use that as an indicator for if he's an ENFJ or INFJ.

·
Registered
305 Posts
It can be hard to tell sometimes! I consider myself a bit of an ENFJ but I'm more an INFJ. I'd try reading the description on both of them (INFJ and ENFJ) and see which one sounds more like your brother.
INFJ (Confidant) Personality Type - Jungian
ENFJ (Mentor) Personality Type - Jungian
Remember INFJ is harder to get so he may be an ENFJ!
You can also relate to the famous INFJ's or ENFJ's! And you can see the career choices and see which ones he is more intersted in!
But remember he will know which one he relates to as well! Let your bro have the final pick! :wink:

·
Registered
208 Posts
From my experience, ENFJ's may seem like introverts...they are focused on others, don't like to get a lot attention to their own person.

·
Registered
836 Posts
If it helps...

I am an INFJ but extremely loud, and fairly talkative.

However, I have almost no drive to stay in continual contact with people. I text with people once or twice a day. I respond to wall posts every few days. The majority of the time, I reply only out of empathy... I know people expect a response.

Introvert vs. Extrovert is usually straightforward for me. Does your brother get energy from being around people? Does he have a drive to stay around people? Does being alone for a period of time bother him or allow him to recover?

Here's a good example: on the weekends, I recover from my job during the week. If people beg, I will go out one night, but almost never both nights. it is waaay too draining. I need alone time.

If you saw me in person you would probably guess I'm extraverted, but I'm definitely not.

Where does your brother get his energy? From being around lots of other people? Or from reading, or creating, alone?

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'm INFJ and my dad is ENFJ. I have a lot of his traits, but my dad cannot be alone for long periods of time as I can - he needs group interaction, not just one-on-one interaction, on a regular basis.

Does your brother feel a need to be among larger groups of people on a fairly regular basis?

Reactions: spifffo

·
Registered
154 Posts
A common misconception is that E's are loud and I's are quiet. That's not always the case. Extroversion means being around people charges you up. If being around people too long drains your energy and you find solace in solitude before you can emerge refreshed, then you are an introvert.

·
Registered
782 Posts
A common misconception is that E's are loud and I's are quiet. That's not always the case. Extroversion means being around people charges you up. If being around people too long drains your energy and you find solace in solitude before you can emerge refreshed, then you are an introvert.
it's stuff like this that make me confused as to whether i really am an introvert. with some people, i actually get energized hanging out with them, with others i cannot.
my cognitive functions says im INTJ and Ni is my strongest so i'll stick with that for now. but tbh, i don't know. im around balanced on the I/E scale.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts