Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One INFJ description from a few sources online is that INFJs have some sort of psychic or telepathic feelings. I always wondered about this and whether or not it's true, and really, who even made that connection to describe us?

Well during the summer I experienced it.

My grandfather was in the hospital. He was in a coma and we were just by his bed. I got kind of tired so I went home. I was just listening to some music on my computer when out of nowhere I got this very strong feeling that I needed to go back to the hospital. On my way there my sister called telling me our grandfather had died. I asked my sister how she knew and she told me that our dad texted her. When I got to the hospital my mom and my sister were mourning. I saw my grandfather there and it was sad. I asked my dad to see the cell phone so I could see what time he sent the text. He sent it to my sister at nearly the same exact time I had the feeling I needed to go. I was blown away and thought that the INFJ psychic ability could be real. It was weird.

I don't know if it's just me, but if any other INFJs have had a psychic experience, feel free to share your story.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I remember that I've had several experiences like this, but only one of them is a vivid enough memory to recall exactly.

When I was younger, one of my best friends had a dog named Bear. It was a really old dog. One weekend, I was over there to spend the night. Bear wasn't moving around very much; he was sick. I got a sudden feeling: this dog is about to die. And, sure enough, when I woke up the next morning, Bear had died during the night.

I don't think it was psychic, exactly; I don't really believe in that. But it was definitely really eerie.

Reactions: Ntuitive

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I have had many of these experiences, but I don't feel up to the task of explaining. My INFJ Grandmother, who was the mother of four children, lost her fifteen year old daughter to an aneurism, back in 1971. The night before my aunts death, my Grandmother had a nightmare. She was surrounded by four brick walls and one crashed down, upon her.

My Grandmother was very very secretive about her early years of life. The year before her death, she moved in with my husband and I. About two weeks or so before her death, she tried to engage me into a conversation, informing me, "you should know about our families history," I refused to listen. I somehow knew she was trying to say "goodbye" to me. I just c
ould NOT face it. She had a stroke and passed away weeks later, in my arms. There's even more to it, but I don't like "going there."

2,781 Posts
I had a dream about my dad in 2010. In my dream he died of a heart attack. The dream was so vivid. I told my husband about it that morning and he said not to worry, it was just a dream. Two weeks later my dad called out of the blue. He told me he had some blockage in his heart and that he was going to get a procedure done to get it unblocked. That went well and he felt great. Three months later he collasped and died. When I got the phone call that my dad had collapsed and that they suspected he had a heart attack, my sister said I should just stay home and wait for more news. They thought he was going to make it. But my gut feeling said to go right away. I knew he was not going to make it. I live a 100 miles away from my family so it seemed like it took forever to get there. Once I got to the hospital I asked someone to take me to his room. Everyone said we could not go back there. They made everyone leave the room. I went anyways. I walked in the room at the same time they were pronouncing the time of his death.
My husband could not believe that I dreamt about my dad's death. I have had other dreams that came true, but this one was the most detailed that I had ever had. I also had a dream about my dad after the funeral. In my dream he was sitting next to me at the funeral home. The casket was empty. And he told me that he didn't like how everything went down and that he heard what the doctors said. That was all he said. I called my sister because she was the closet to my dad. I told her about that dream and she said that is something my dad would have said.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Probably one of the more creepiest experiences I've had that might seem 'psychic' was back before I went to the Junior High school. I had this crush on a boy in my 6th grade and I thought at the end of the year he was going to move, because he said he was planning on it. During that summer I was getting into this Ouija board my grandma had, and sadly during that time, my friend Tory lost her mom in a tragic and traumatic car accident, so she was there from time to time messing with the board as well. There was one night where I had a list of questions to ask the board and among one of them was "Is Michael Moore going to come back to school?" I got a yes from the board, which I had gotten earlier when messing with it with Tory.

I asked myself without touching the board why would he be coming back. Then I had this strange vision flash through my head of seeing a man being pushed through a hospital on a gurney with several other doctors, and I thought I heard this man could either live or die. I had the strangest feeling that was Michael's father.

Later on when I started 7th grade, I found out Michael had returned, but he acted so differently, so much like a quiet and depressed loner. My friend Tory had two classes with him, so I asked her to show him a note I made, telling him about this vision I had. The scariest part was that he said his father was in the hospital because of liver failure, and there was a possibility he could die, which was why Michael hadn't left the district.

I can't blame him to be spooked by that, since I was already, but I really cared about this boy at the time, so maybe in a way something like that isn't incredibly uncommon? Who really knows? lol

·
Registered
INFJ, SoCom, hands-on, physical intimacy, Energy being, Project Career Temp, Wisdom Growth Temp
4,027 Posts
Probably one of the more creepiest experiences I've had that might seem 'psychic' was back before I went to the Junior High school. I had this crush on a boy in my 6th grade and I thought at the end of the year he was going to move, because he said he was planning on it. During that summer I was getting into this Ouija board my grandma had, and sadly during that time, my friend Tory lost her mom in a tragic and traumatic car accident, so she was there from time to time messing with the board as well. There was one night where I had a list of questions to ask the board and among one of them was "Is Michael Moore going to come back to school?" I got a yes from the board, which I had gotten earlier when messing with it with Tory.

I asked myself without touching the board why would he be coming back. Then I had this strange vision flash through my head of seeing a man being pushed through a hospital on a gurney with several other doctors, and I thought I heard this man could either live or die. I had the strangest feeling that was Michael's father.

Later on when I started 7th grade, I found out Michael had returned, but he acted so differently, so much like a quiet and depressed loner. My friend Tory had two classes with him, so I asked her to show him a note I made, telling him about this vision I had. The scariest part was that he said his father was in the hospital because of liver failure, and there was a possibility he could die, which was why Michael hadn't left the district.

I can't blame him to be spooked by that, since I was already, but I really cared about this boy at the time, so maybe in a way something like that isn't incredibly uncommon? Who really knows? lol
Wow, interesting story and I am surprised you had the courage to play with an Ouija board. From what I heard from paranormal investigation shows, Ouija boards are devices to communicate with the dead, which open portals that sinister beings (possibly demons) could enter and possess the living, making their use very dangerous. Also, once the portals are opened, destroying the Ouija board or oracle could prevent the closing of the portal.

Are you still using the Ouija board?

·
Registered
133 Posts
My, a bit lamer, version is getting texts from people i have not spoken to in some time in my dreams. Then, waking up and during that day, receive a text from the same person. Happened to me 3 times over the course of the last 2 moons. Hmm? ;S

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I can't really think of any psychic experiences I have had, though I do believe in them. I've also seen two very good psychics who predicted my life very well (and I was skeptical with them, so I don't think it was just me projecting onto them).

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
I have written about my experiences several times already.

However when words like "Mysticism" "Psychic" and "clairvoyance" are used, usually the words "almost" and "like" are preceding.
You might see something like.. "INFJs have an almost psychic quality about them" or "INFJs might be so good at predicting where a situation is heading that it appears like clairvoyance is at play".
If words such as "almost" and "like" are not present, then it is highly likely the author or authors are not INFJ and it is they who are using those words for lack of a better explanation.An example is Mr Keirsey who should have relied on science instead of fiction when writing his books.

The issue is not that things like this happen.. But rather what they are in scientific and biological terms and what meaning people attach to them. An idealist might be tempted to attach something rather than a scientific logical explanation.

Really what is going on as far as Ni and INFJs are concerned.. is just deep insight based on actual and possible variables being present and/or absent, and predicting the most likely outcome.

Psychic expeinces of the real genuine kind... are not limited to typology and certain types.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had this weird experience one time when I was with a friend and he wanted to text his friend a joke or something. I said "Just tell him something terrible like you got your girlfriend pregnant." at the time we were 17. A couple months later he told us that his girlfriend was pregnant. But the thing was, is that she was pregnant before I even told him to tell that joke to his friend. He said he was thinking at the time like "Man, how did he know?" haha.

I've also had several micro experience nearly every day, just random things every now and then that last maybe a week at a time. The only one I can remember right now is that I was looking for something in my attic and thought to myself "I wish there were some sort of device to check the temperature in here, like a little hand held device." When my dad got home from work he had bought a hand held device to take the temperature in the attic. It was really random.

I've had several experiences like that. It puzzles me sometimes. Like I'll think of the most random thought for no reason earlier on in the day. Then that evening something somewhat significant happens which has to do with the random thought I had.

One other odd experience is that I woke up one morning with this weird spanish word in my head and I was kind of wondering why that was in my head. I went to check the mail and there was some kind of junk mail with that word typed huge on there.

There are way too many others that I can't remember. But people around me thought it was interesting that these occurrences were happening to me.

The more significant times were when I guessed some people's backgrounds and interests. We were at this restaurant and one of my friends brought another friend. I looked at him for a second and knew he played trombone in band in high school so I asked him. He just looked like he did. To me it wasn't that hard of a guess. But I asked him and he was like "wtf how did you know?" Then I just stared at him with a blank face while my friends laughed lol.

I know that people make broad generalizations and stereotypes of others, so I present myself in certain ways to throw them off, not in a bad way though. People who know me know to some extent how I think. But strangers and people I've never met have no idea. They just think I'm a nice regular guy. I guess to some extent that's the Fe.

I've never lost a game of apples to apples because I can know everyone's thought processes before we even begin. Even with people I've never met. On the other hand when it comes down to other social situations I'm clueless because I haven't been paying attention to certain things, and because of this I might accidentally come off as rude. But oh well. :-D

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
So do we have an explanation for this or not? One thing I don't understand is how people seem to accept the existence of something of this nature without considering how it could possibly work. If psychic ability is real then...what is it? What form does it take? Electronic signals passing through the air? An undiscovered plane of reality that merges with ours? Or just subconscious intuition?

·
MOTM October 2013
6,445 Posts
I knew one friend who had a dream during a sleepover. There was this big shining circle, and two figures walking toward it. She thought the circle was God, and the two people were returning to Him.

The next day, she found out that her grandmother had died. Her grandfather had died several years earlier.

She thinks they were the figures in the dream.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I don't think its psychic phenomena at all. In any situation there are a number of variables or possible outcomes and a more intuitive type may be adept at identifying these.

Inevitably some of these variables will play out and with hindsight it's quite easy to be convinced that the event or result was foreseen or predicted.

Back in 2005 Liverpool Football Club were losing 3-0 at half time in the European Cup Final to AC Milan. As the second half opened and the players took to the field, my SO said she 'just had a feeling' Liverpool would win the game....the odds were impossible, but she told me to put an online bet on.......and I place £200 at 250:1........Liverpool won the game on penalties.

Is my SO psychic? No, she's ESTJ! But just a potential variable and a positive attitude from the Liverpool team could easily be construed as a psychic or predictive ability.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I don't think its psychic phenomena at all. In any situation there are a number of variables or possible outcomes and a more intuitive type may be adept at identifying these.

Inevitably some of these variables will play out and with hindsight it's quite easy to be convinced that the event or result was foreseen or predicted.

Back in 2005 Liverpool Football Club were losing 3-0 at half time in the European Cup Final to AC Milan. As the second half opened and the players took to the field, my SO said she 'just had a feeling' Liverpool would win the game....the odds were impossible, but she told me to put an online bet on.......and I place £200 at 250:1........Liverpool won the game on penalties.

Is my SO psychic? No, she's ESTJ! But just a potential variable and a positive attitude from the Liverpool team could easily be construed as a psychic or predictive ability.
Cool. I make that around £50,000 Did it change your life?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Cool. I make that around £50,000 Did it change your life?
Cheers Zech. It was about £48k after various taxes etc - it got rid of some nagging debts! She's still isn't psychic though!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Wow, interesting story and I am surprised you had the courage to play with an Ouija board. From what I heard from paranormal investigation shows, Ouija boards are devices to communicate with the dead, which open portals that sinister beings (possibly demons) could enter and possess the living, making their use very dangerous. Also, once the portals are opened, destroying the Ouija board or oracle could prevent the closing of the portal.

Are you still using the Ouija board?
No, I am not using it anymore. I'm a complete skeptic and I've heard of these explanations. You've got to remember though that the ideomotor effect is what makes you think that there are spirits moving the pointer when it's actually you.

It's just when I was younger that I thought that maybe it had some validity, but that's coming from a younger version of me as a kid.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I've had intuitions like hearing a voice suggest I make muffins, and I will be provided for, that day my Aunt came home with groceries (at the time we were living from one of Dad's website projects to the next, there would be literally times where we had thin pickings for a few days. But I'm sure being poor is quite common ^_^) and I thought nothing of it. Or this other time a random name comes to my head, and my sister then greets her friend that I don't know who also has the same name. I've even had (useful) intuitive moments playing (free) online poker and I've been proven right quite a few times.
But then here is the catch: there are 7 billion people on this earth, and amongst them all all sorts of probability games have been played, some might say luck evens out.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts