Personality Cafe banner

2001 - 2020 of 37078 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
My book tastes and explanations.

I'm not terribly picky about what I watch. I even have some student's thesis film bookmarked that I've watched several times.

Speaking of random people's YouTube films:

I like them for, respectively, lovely work on expressions and nonverbal storytelling, and being very whimsical and suggesting an artist or child's connection to their drawings and creative work. It's a sentiment I recognize, intended or not, from my childhood when I used to draw all the time. They're about as long as they need to be to tell the story they want to tell, visually appealing, and leave a lot of room for interpretation though they offer some obvious tidbits. They may use common or well-known themes, but they're not cookie-cutter constructs of whatever archetypes, conflicts, recycled jokes, etc, will just make the damn engine run as if that's all that matters.

Growing up, some of my favorite animated films were All Dogs Go to Heaven and We're Back: A Dinosaur's Story. Looking back, I saw some of my own emotional problems reflected in the films and that made the fantasy worlds very real and very soothing. The stories were simple on the surface and clearly wanted to be cute and funny for you, but there were some clever spurts of dialogue more complex than its medium in the second and other things could be read in them that might make it much more personal for a viewer.

I was a huge fan of Doctor Who for a decade or more. I loved the idea of a zany alien man who whisked his companions away on a soft sci-fi adventure through time and space. I loved that it gave minor characters their share of the spotlight as well as a sense of humanity and importance, because it fleshed out the worlds the main characters explored and really made me care that The Doctor always wanted to be a hero. Recurring themes of only ever being able to be so close to the humans he was fascinated by, not being as capable and wonderful as everyone believed him to be, and having to remember that he was not, in fact, one of them added a touch of sadness and admiration for The Doctor.

When I see anime I don't like, the problems are:
1) It's trying to tell a specific kind of story (horror, comedy, fantasy), but the visual style looks the same as anime of any other genre. It doesn't take advantage of the fact that it's a visual medium.
2) There's a ton of pointless filler. It's talking to hear itself talk, as one would say about a person.
3) The same unfunny jokes are in every episode.
4) It doesn't bother to develop characters, the fictional world, etc. It doesn't grow or draw me in.
5) It offers me nothing to think about or interpret.
6) It's predictable or has the same kind of things I always see in anime with nothing new added.

The last one I tried was a random pick called Final Fantasy: Unlimited which had every single one except the first, which it gets no real credit for because its own visuals didn't fit together at times. I would have given 2-D and 3-D combo the benefit of the doubt if it looked like they actually had a professional do the 3-D, but I nearly stopped the instant I saw it because it was just so bad. It was supposedly popular, which is bizarre - maybe there really is a huge cultural disconnect going on.
I'm not going to recommend you too many, I'll start with two and you can see what you think.

The first is a longer series called Kemono no Souja Erin. It follows the life of Erin through to her adulthood. I won't give too much away, it's in a bit of a fantasy setting, the art style is simple and bright... I felt it was fitting to the kind of story it was, and it definitely had that sometimes bittersweet quality to the childhood films that I loved.

The second is Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World. I'll leave you with the synopsis, I feel it's reasonably accurate -
Based on a hit light novel series by Keiichi Sigsawa, the philosophical Kino's Journey employs the time-honored motif of the road trip as a vehicle for self-discovery and universal truth. Deeply meditative and cooler than zero, the series follows the existential adventures of the apt marksman Kino along with talking motorcycle Hermes as they travel the world and learn much about themselves in the process. Imaginative, thought-provoking, and sometimes disturbing, Kino's journey is documented in an episodic style with an emphasis on atmosphere rather than action or plot, though still prevalent.

The show I was talking about in my earlier post is called Monster.

If you don't end up like these shows, then ah well. But based on what you described, I think they have the potential there to please you.

·
MOTM October 2013
6,419 Posts
The first time you have a breakup it feels like you're dying. Actually, every time you have a breakup it feels like you're dying, but the difference is the wisdom in the back of your head that knows that you won't.

(No, no breakup going on here, but it just struck me.)

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Glad to have the next five days off. Huzzah! My plan, with the exception of New Years day, is to be anti social & misanthropic... staying down here in my cave watching movies, playing guitar, drums and video games... and sleeping. New Years day involves a couple friends, some booze and kabobs. I love kabobs.

My mom isn't feeling well. She says she feels like she's "coming down with something"... running a fever and what not. Probably got my germs. Fantastic. She'll probably give them back to me and I've not fully even gotten rid of them yet. (What... 6 wks later? Yeesh.)

Apparently, one of our former IHOP wait staff (I'm a regular) has passed away. My friend (a semi regular) texted me a link to an obit... sounds like the right woman. We only knew her first name, and this obit matched that and the right-ish age and the fact that they both had one child, a son, with a very uncommon name. It has to be the same woman.

Makes me sad. If it is her, she was only in her mid 50s and was very nice. Very chatty (sometimes too chatty for my taste, but I put up with her because she was nice & a good wait staff, for that matter.) If this is the same woman, I was shocked to see that she had a Master's Degree in psychology and was a sorority girl. I'd have never suspected that. Crazy.

~~~~~
Convo with Sam (my lead supervisor) last night...

He's walking past central control, where I sit playing a game on my Asus tablet.
He: Are you playing a game on your iPad?
Me: Nope.

He stands there giving me the look through the window...

Me: What?
He: Are you playing a game on your tablet?
Me: (While giving him the aren't you a genius? look.) Indeed I am.
He: You're playing a game on an electronic device?
Me: Nope. The Asus is actually powered by air. New, state of the art technology.

More of the look... I go back to my game.

He: War?
Me: Now what?
He: You're playing a game on an electronic device...
Me: (Annoyed voice...) I'm aware of that.

Continue playing whilst he continues to give me the look through the window.

He: War...
Me: Don't have you have a job to do or something?
He: Put it away...
Me: *annoyed sigh* Oh for fuck's sake...

Turns off Asus, sets it aside.

He: Thank you.
Me: You realize that as soon as you turn your back, I'm going to go back to playing my game...
He: I wish you wouldn't say things like that. But yes, I had assumed...
Me: So all this nonsense is just an excersize in futility that serves no purpose other than irritating me. It's a statement, not a question.
He: My day is a little brighter knowing that I have annoyed you.
Me: My day is a little brighter knowing that you know that I know that you know that I'm going to do what I'm going to do, regardless of you and your nonsense.
He: Looks like it's going to be a bright day.
Me: Word.

I know it sounds like he was playing the back & forth game with me, but he was actually really pissed off. He's just nonconfrontational... and intimidated by me. Which I find greatly amusing.

One of my great joys at work is to crank him up. Because it's easy and fun.

~~~~~~
Judging by the guests on Dr. Phil, there are a lot of whiny ass, punk ass drama kings/queens that enjoy playing the victim. Good grief most of these yahoos need to nut up, stop boo-hooing like little bitches and get over themselves. Seriously.

What's on Friday nights that I can sleep through? (I watch so little broadcast tv!) Perhaps I will browse Netflix for something appropriate...

Happy Friday, y'all.

·
Registered
619 Posts
The things you end up looking at in google images when you're writing! :shocked: But, whether you like it or not, sometimes you really just need to know what something looks like.

For the record, "bloody gauze" wasn't really that bad, but "gunshot wound to the head" was excruciating.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Bah! NCEA :dry:
You just finished, right?

Also, today my friend found something which said "By the time you are 24 you should have God, an education and a good character"

hm, I have God and an education. Guess I have 2 days to get a good character than.

*hint*hint*

·
Registered
95 Posts
You just finished, right?

Also, today my friend found something which said "By the time you are 24 you should have God, an education and a good character"

hm, I have God and an education. Guess I have 2 days to get a good character than.

*hint*hint*
Yep. Finished forever... onto uni where marks are more indicative and scaling exists!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
First time watching Hoarders. These people are nuttier than squirrel shit. Not just the hoarders, but the people around them. How do you not stop someone from getting into that situation in the first place?

How do you allow your parent or sibling or child (or whomever) live somewhere in that condition? With... stuff... piled floor to ceiling, with only a path to navigate an entire home? Infested with all manner of vermin? Absolutely disgusting. Sick, sick, sick people. The lot of them. I'd have no patience for that kinda nonsense.

·
Registered
757 Posts

~~~~~
Convo with Sam (my lead supervisor) last night...

He's walking past central control, where I sit playing a game on my Asus tablet.
He: Are you playing a game on your iPad?
Me: Nope.

He stands there giving me the look through the window...

Me: What?
He: Are you playing a game on your tablet?
Me: (While giving him the aren't you a genius? look.) Indeed I am.
He: You're playing a game on an electronic device?
Me: Nope. The Asus is actually powered by air. New, state of the art technology.

More of the look... I go back to my game.

He: War?
Me: Now what?
He: You're playing a game on an electronic device...
Me: (Annoyed voice...) I'm aware of that.

Continue playing whilst he continues to give me the look through the window.

He: War...
Me: Don't have you have a job to do or something?
He: Put it away...
Me: *annoyed sigh* Oh for fuck's sake...

Turns off Asus, sets it aside.

He: Thank you.
Me: You realize that as soon as you turn your back, I'm going to go back to playing my game...
He: I wish you wouldn't say things like that. But yes, I had assumed...
Me: So all this nonsense is just an excersize in futility that serves no purpose other than irritating me. It's a statement, not a question.
He: My day is a little brighter knowing that I have annoyed you.
Me: My day is a little brighter knowing that you know that I know that you know that I'm going to do what I'm going to do, regardless of you and your nonsense.
He: Looks like it's going to be a bright day.
Me: Word.

I know it sounds like he was playing the back & forth game with me, but he was actually really pissed off. He's just nonconfrontational... and intimidated by me. Which I find greatly amusing.

One of my great joys at work is to crank him up. Because it's easy and fun.

~~~~~~

For some reason, I saw Dr. House argue with Lisa Cuddy. I guess it's because of your signature and avatar :p

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
First time watching Hoarders. These people are nuttier than squirrel shit. Not just the hoarders, but the people around them. How do you not stop someone from getting into that situation in the first place?

How do you allow your parent or sibling or child (or whomever) live somewhere in that condition? With... stuff... piled floor to ceiling, with only a path to navigate an entire home? Infested with all manner of vermin? Absolutely disgusting. Sick, sick, sick people. The lot of them. I'd have no patience for that kinda nonsense.
You obviously have no hoarders in your family.

By the time you become aware they have a problem it is usually quite a big problem.

And hoarders are very stubborn. They will come up with all sorts of reasons why you can't possibly throw item A out.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
You obviously have no hoarders in your family.

By the time you become aware they have a problem it is usually quite a big problem.

And hoarders are very stubborn. They will come up with all sorts of reasons why you can't possibly throw item A out.
My mother has hoarder tendancies, though I don't think she'd ever get that bad. And we (my siblings) wouldn't allow it anyway. She constantly brings home... stuff. She goes through the trash where she works, garage sales, etc. When my mom moved from her tiny one bedroom apartment into my house, the stuff she had jammed into her place filled 3 bedrooms of my 4 bedroom house and then some. She hates seeing stuff thrown away if it's "still good". More of... pack rat, perhaps, than a true hoarder.

Either way, I don't buy that people don't realize things are "that bad" until shit is piled to the ceiling all through the house. It's one thing if the relatives don't live near by and don't visit often... but the ones I saw last night were taking their 6 yr old son to the hoarder's house five days a week. They knew... though they tried to pretend they didn't. (The wife said she didn't realize because the house had poor lighting. :dry:)

Most of the people I saw last night, had relatives that knew how bad it was... they should've done something well before they did. Someone who's living in a situation like that is not mentally well. And if you let it go on than you're either just as mentally ill or negligent.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I wonder why we don't find animal corpses and skeletons just everywhere. Where do they go.

This explains sea animals at least - Bizarre lives of bone-eating worms
I think this video explains the smaller animals:

I was literally just watching that when I saw your post. Quite a coincidence indeed! :p

·
Registered
757 Posts
That is so weird!

The video was a hard watch. I actually looked away about half way through and just listened, haha. Interesting though, thanks :)
Some of the creatures in that playlist give me the heebie-jeebies. But it's so interesting and I need to know more!!! D:
Have you heard of the ant-zombie parasite? It's called Cordyceps and it scares the living S*** out of me!

·
Banned
2,700 Posts
Some of the creatures in that playlist give me the heebie-jeebies. But it's so interesting and I need to know more!!! D:
Have you heard of the ant-zombie parasite? It's called Cordyceps and it scares the living S*** out of me!

LOL, not thanking, NOT WATCHING :kitteh:

2001 - 2020 of 37078 Posts