Personality Cafe banner

37301 - 37320 of 37332 Posts

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
The lads defeated the #1 team last night. Skunked them as well. 24-0.

It was a great game. The (former now) #1 team once got all the way down to the one yard line... 3 feet from scoring... and we held them. They tried a long field goal (out of desperation) at one point as well, but missed. We ran rough shod over them the entire game. Physically dominated them, despite their team being (physically) larger.

One of their downs was... I don't remember what down they were on... 2nd or 3rd... and 27. I remember now... it was 3rd and 27. They lost a few yards on the first play of the series. On the 2nd play of the series, the QB took a 15 yrd sack... so, yeah... 3rd and 27. And no... they didn't convert.

They had their moments... they're a throwing team, with big receivers (all three are 6'4"-6'5") and there were times they broke out with pass after pass and moved the ball down the field, boom boom boom... but... they were never able to score. They only came close just that one time... and couldn't get it in from the one. (They started that goal line drive at the 12 yr line... got a 1st down on the 2 yrd line, ended up on the 1 yrd line and still didn't score...)

Our defense is beastly. 🦁🐯

I did a lot of gaming yesterday. And laundry. Got the bed all striped out and changed and what not.

I have a question, though... ok... so I have one of those expensive memory foam beds (with adjustable frame) and so I have to have deep pocket fitted sheets, ok? Ok. So, I bought three new sets a couple weeks ago and every time I've changed them, it's been a fiasco getting these fucking sheets on.

Because they're deep pockets (or whatever) it's like... the sheet almost looks like a circle. It's quite hard to tell, just from eyeballing it, which is the long side and which is the short side. I tried eyeballing it 3x before I even tried to put it on... and was wrong. Then I had to turn it, but I finally got it on. Took far longer than I should have and was a good and proper pain in my ass.

So my question is... why don't they mark top and/or bottom is some fashion? I wee little tag on the bottom or top edge... so you can just find the tag and put it on the appropriate end of the bed? Why? Why is this not a thing? Because this absolutely needs to be a thing. So much annoyance could be avoided by a wee little tag. Or some other type of indicator of some sort... I don't care. Tell me which is top or bottom or what the fuck ever. Seriously.

~~~

Well. Forgot about this last night. I tend to do that every now and then. Easily distracted sometimes.

I might have to stab Autumn in the throat. The woman cannot stay her ass in one place for any period of time. She is constantly all up on my call buttons. Kelly kicked her out of their office... moved Marisala into her (Kelly) office and moved Autumn into Marisala's office. Which is not how we do things. Every shift is to have their supervisors in the same office. Until Autumn showed up.

Natalie said it was because Autumn kept fucking with Kelly's shit. Which may be true, I have no idea. I also think, however, that it was to keep Autumn from sitting in the office watching Netflix on the agency computer all night long. (Not internet access in the 1st & 2nd shift offices...)

The thing is that it doesn't keep her out of Kelly's office. Instead, she wanders back and forth from Kelly's office to her office all goddamn night. This little trek causes me to have to open 4 doors every time she moves from one place to another... which would be fine, but for the fact that she never stays in either of them for more than 10 minutes at a time. Back and forth, back and forth. Doing fuck all, because there's not anything for her to do. (And there's no reason at all for her to be in Kelly's office...

And this is on top of the random wandering around the building for the fuck knows what reason.

A thiárna dean trocairé... that woman is annoying as fuck.

I want to like her. But the more I'm around her, the more off she seems and the more annoying she becomes. I so very much wish that wasn't true... but it is. Unfortunate, that. We could use a good supervisor. We're just not going to find one here, I'm afraid. (I should know better, all things considered, I suppose...)

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
I have to remember to be prompt and get outta here when my alarm goes off today. Cuz it's snowing.

Goddamn ❄❄❄❄❄❄❄

Also, freezing rain ahead of it. My sis decided to do whoopsie daisies around and around the overpass (over the highway & rail tracks) in our town. Bounced it off the (concrete) rails on either side whilst doing so. I'm not sure why that damn bridge wasn't salted/gritted because it's a problem any time we have weather as it's a bit steepish. (My sis said there were three more crashes on the bridge after her, according to posts on the Book of Faces.)

Not that the weather bother's me. I drive in this shit all the time. Also, I couldn't care any less about getting to work on time, so I'll drive at whatever speed I determine to be safe... if that's a 5 mph crawl all the way there, so be it. (Obviously, I'd actually not really drive 5 mph to work. That situation would be a call off... but you know what I mean.)

Figure I can be late and that can be cool with them or I can stay my ass home and they can sort out the deets on their end without me. Makes no bit of difference to me.

That being said, I've only been late once... and it was about... close to 45 mins. The weather was atrocious... I was making my way there and unbeknownst to me at the time, my FWD died about 1/3 of the way there... this caused me to spin on at hill out in the county. Because my FWD was dead, I couldn't turn around (to the direction I had been going) as the truck just spun... so I had to go back from whence I came... and find another route to get to work. And at a snail's pace... the weather got worse and worse on my drive. But I got there... eventually.

I do have a rule, though, about going to work in the winter; If I leave the road, for any reason, I'm going back home. If I can't keep my vehicle on the road, then it's too dangerous to be driving. And that fucking place isn't worth dying over.

Random thought whilst I was in the shower; Does people still have yardsticks at their house? We also had a yardstick or two when I was growing up... but I honestly don't know anyone who has them anymore. Surely someone does, somewhere? Or not? Perhaps it's just a thing from a bygone era at this point?

I really don't know.

I Googled. They still make them. Perhaps they're just not as common place as they used to be. Google said they were for measuring wood... I was a carpenter and never used a yard stick to measure any wood... nor were there any yardsticks lying about. Guess it was probably pretty outdated by the early to mid 80s.

We used to get our yardsticks at the state fair for free. We'd have several in the house. When I was younger, they were nicely made of hardwood. Could give a butt a nice blow (trust me on that) and was pretty handy for sword play, reaching far away things, swatting at scary bugs from a distance and whatever other uses a child can conjure up for 3 ft long piece of wood. In later years, they were cheaply made of soft wood and tended to snap in half pretty easily.

I was brought to the yardsticks precisely because I was whooped with them, usually by my mom. (Better a yardstick then Hot Wheels track... Hot Wheels track will strip your skin off if you got popped just right!) I was thinking that because I was thinking about how my bil's dad was abusive... but then thought... well, shit... a lot of people raising kids in the 60s & 70s (and before/after) were abusive by today's standards where it concerned discipline.

And I got to that thought because I thought my bil's younger brother has never really had to live with my bil's asshole older brother, because he was so much younger and the older brother left the house before he graduated high school.

And I thought of that because my bil told me that his mom (and his tag a long old bro) are probably moving away (out of state) to where the younger bro lives... essentially because nobody here wants the older bro around and mom is setting this up for someone to take care of him after she dies... more or less.

What's wrong with him? Nothing. He's one of those disability frauds. His issues are alcoholism and untreated bi polar disorder (because he refuses to listen to his shrink that he has bi polar disorder)... and one of those things makes the other thing worse.

I knew he was bi polar about the 2nd or 3rd time I met him back 30 yrs ago. It was that fucking obvious. He had to go on disability because he lost his marriage and then his job... and why did he lose his marriage? Being drunk and bi polar (he lost his first marriage by being drunk, bi polar and physically abusive)... his wife left him. He lost his job by telling his coworkers (at a prestigious company where he made big $$$s) that he was going to go home, get his gun and shoot his wife in the head.

But... instead of getting any help, we play disabled... because people feel sorry for us and we need a lot of sympathy because... because we just do, that's why.

Why is he not wanted here? Ten or so years ago, is when we cut him off from all of his here. Because he was going on the Book of Faces and attacking my niece, my nephew, my nephew's friends, my sister, her friends, me (I'm not on FB, but he was attacking me there to my family and their friends) and just making all manner of accusations and all manner of bullshit.

Why was he doing this? I suspect it was because he was bored (no job, remember) drunk and stupid.

Prior to my nephew's graduation, I let my bil know that if his brother came (despite all his nonsense, they invited him) to the graduation and said one sideways word to me about anything, I was going to beat his ass bloody right there in front of everyone. I was so tired of his bullshit and attacking my sister & my niece and nephew (who were teenagers, for fuck sake) and just being an generally disagreeable asshole.

At any rate. I think everyone will be happy that he's gone. Except younger bro. I'm sure he'll be happy to have him around... at first. But... I do worry about what happens when older brother gets comfortable... and starts up his bullshit up and close and in person. Time will tell, I guess.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Just found out the new supervisor (yet another) for 3rd shift is...

Joe.

Joe used to work for us. He was working for us when I started, actually. He's an old schooler. He left some time ago (it's been long enough that I can't even guess at how long ago it was... more than 5 yrs ago, maybe up to as many as 10 yrs ago, but I don't remember specificallly.)

Joe's a nice guy. Joe is not supervisor material, however. Joe is not stupid, but... he's slow. Not slow, like developmentally delayed slow... but just in that information takes forfuckingever to stick in his head... and then it takes an equally long time for it to make it back out again.

When we had good training back in the day, Joe was always in my class and I both hated it and loved it. Hated it because the class was always slowed down to a snail's pace because Joe couldn't pick up or retain information, despite the fact that most of it was the same information we got every year... just didn't stick with him and that's frustrating as fuck when you know someone should very fucking well know something and they don't... and you have to wait on them to figure it the fuck out. Annoying.

But it was great when it came time to take tests... cuz myself, Brad and Corey would always be done with the tests very quickly (I test very fast as I don't second guess and I don't go back over my answers. It's just the way I do it.) and well before most everyone... but well well before Joe. Sometimes Joe wouldn't finish until some 30-45 minutes later.

So... whilst Joe was still sitting there trying to sort stuff out me, Brad and Corey would go into the gym and work out or wrestle around... just do generally athletic/fighty kinds of stuff to have fun and get the juices flowing. And with tests over every module and what not, we had almost more time fucking around in the gym than we had in training.

Joe is a nice guy and I would hope that he'd do well. Kelly when talking about it, was pissed off. She said Brett was pissed off, too. They were told someone else was hired. Someone they liked (they did interviews) and thought would be a good fit... and then... after they were told one thing, they (admin) did the old switcheroo and hired Joe instead.

I'm not supposed to know Joe is the new supervisor, for the record. Nobody told me. Kelly can't (Believe me, I asked) and she didn't. (Though she made her comments about the whole process after I told her who it was) Natalie was walking past the conference room when it was being announced to the supervisors and accidently overheard.

She didn't tell me, either. But she gave me the information I needed to suss out who it was for myself.

It's going to be interesting to find out what the reaction is from the old timers when they find out Joe is now a supervisor. They're going to shit themselves. 😜

I just hope that admin doesn't shred him or turn him into a foul creature, like the rest of the supervisors. He's a nice guy, doesn't have a mean bone in his body... it'd be nice if he stayed that way. But he's also needing a job (just moved back here from out of state a while back and has two teenagers) and this is a nice paying gig for this area. Very nice paying... I'm just afraid that the need for the money will make him vulnerable to selling his soul to admin, like the rest of the supervisors have done...

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Dia duit...

See the doc about my 'bow tomorrow.

Not going to be released. No way I can wrestle with anyone just yet. Kelly had the surgery prior to me (last year) and she was on modified duty for four months. I've only been on it 6 wks come tomorrow. So... yeah.

They thought I'd be ready to go by 6 wks... and I probably would be, in most jobs. I don't work most jobs. I need to be able to fight for my life or the life of someone else if need be... and at the very least, restrain physically mature adolescent males who may be trying to beat the shit outta me or someone else.

That's not happening as we sit today. I can't open the doors at work, let alone wrestle with a teenager. That's not actually entirely true. I can open the doors (the steel doors, not regular ones) about 6"-8"... then I push them the rest of the way open with the other hand, because it hurts too damn much to pull it opened on the side of the surgery-ed 'bow.

And I'm ok with not being released. It's just more time to sit and enjoy central control. My work life is pretty decent right now and the days go by right quickly... getting paid to read a book(s) is a nice way to spend an evening is what I'm saying.

Speaking of time going by...

Rita came back to work tonight. Been out 3 wks. I hadn't realized it had been so long already. She's back... had two surgeries in that time. Obviously not serious or hugely invasive since she's not on modified duty or anything. (I know what her surgeries were for, but you don't need to know...)

She was going on about supervisors and what not being rude to her when she had to keep calling back and telling them she needed more time off. Bitched about how they were rude and short and snotty... and never asked her even once how she was doing and all that stuff.

I'm not sure why she's surprised... it's not like she's not worked there for like... 20 yrs or whatever. It's not like she doesn't know that these people don't give a fat rat's ass about their employees. They prove that time and time again. (When the director makes the comment that Alex's bald wife... bald from chemo... that she doesn't even look sick, you can pretty much assume the supervisors fall into line with that behavior.)

In 2002, I was in a bad car accident. Really bad. I was never in any danger of dying or anything, don't get me wrong... but it was a bad fucking crash. (T-boned by a drunk driver, in the driver's door, at 60 mph) That was nearly 20 yrs ago and they didn't give a shit about me, either. (No call, no checking in... not even a goddamn $3 get well soon card.)

They have a long ass history of not giving a flying fuck.

So... when someone is shocked by this, I wonder what's wrong with them... and not admin. Which is... seriously bad and wrong on so many levels and yet...

I'm going to bed as soon as I'm over rover here. I did not sleep well yesterday. Drainage (my fucking allergies are still trying to kill me, I swear) woke me up with coughing fits that went on far too long and got me good and woke. And when I went back to sleep, I was next woke by muscle cramps in my legs, which was a goddamn dream come true.

Getting old sucks ass, for the record.

·
Registered
INFJ ♀ 2w1 || 9w1 || 5w4 Sp/Sx Decadent.
834 Posts
You ever just look at someone and know for a fact that they talk shit about you when you're not around?

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Sean Connery has died. That makes me sad.

I know he was old and I know he'd been unwell for a fair period of time, but damn it... James Bond isn't supposed to die.

I think, for me at least, the reason that it's had to fathom even though I know it's so isn't so much because he was Bond but because he never seemed truly "old". You know? I knew he was old(er)... he was in his 30s - 40s when I was a child watching the Bond movies... but he never seemed it.

It's hard to be truly sad for someone who dies at age 90... that's a long little while for anyone to live. But I am, anyway.

The lads won their 1st playoff game last night, 42-8. The opponent only got the 8 pts because they left their 1st team players on the field after we'd rotated all of ours out and had the 2nd team playing. (Halfway through the 3rd quarter) Once they put their 2nd team in, they went back to not being able to move the ball or moving the ball for negative yrds.

Our starting halfback had 248 yrds rushing and two tds... he broke 3 or 4 (lost count, at least three though) runs of over 50 yrds and different times in the game. And our 2nd team QB had an 80+ yrd run for a td. We stomped the snot outta the other team, is what I'm saying. Still a long way to the championship game... but I think we've got a good shot.

Went to the doc on Thursday about the 'bow. Another month of modified duty and 5 lb weight restriction. The 5 lb weight restriction sucks, but the month of mod duty absolutely does not. (With not being in control much or at all for the past year, I think a deserve two or three months of working nothing but... getting my chance to relax!) And... I got unlimited physical therapy... which basically means that I can go as long as myself and my therapist think I need to go. Which I think is the way it should be since the therapist sees me several times a week and the doctor doesn't.

Oíche Shamhna - Happy Samhain... 🧛‍♂️🧟‍♂️🧟‍♀️💀🍀

No ghost or witch emojis. No drinking emojis. These emojis suck ass.

So... what's the Halloween celebration? Well... I'm a grown up, so there wasn't going to be one, but even if I weren't a grown up and still had some desire to dress up (which I outgrew many years ago, kudos to those who still do...) I work every weekend so this Halloween. So, even if I had the desire to celebrate, I wouldn't be able to do so.

We don't even get many trick or treaters here anymore. We stopped giving out candy about 10 yrs ago when we dropped from having 150 or so kids for the night to having 10-20 kids for the night. Not as many kids in the neighborhood and parents taking kids to one stop trick or treating places like the mall or whatever. So... yeah.

Ah well. Whatevers. I'm just here survivin' until it's time to die.
🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Watched a video of a younger Irish lass on YT and the video was about weird things Americans eat.

There were several (10? I think) things on the list... three of those things were sloppy joes, peanut butter and biscuits and gravy. (B&G being #1 on the weird list...) She was curious as to why we eat these things. It's a simple answer and a few commenters touched on some of it here and there, but usually with just one of those three and not all three.

The simplest of answers as to why sloppy joes, peanut butter and biscuits/gravy are quite popular (generally speaking, of course) is...

Poverty.

When you do not have a lot of money, you need to spend frugally. All of this stuff is reasonably cheap, can be stretched out (more bang for the buck, if you will) and is filling.

Plus biscuits and gravy done proper are divine.

We ate a shit load of peanut butter growing up. And a shit load of those nasty individually wrapped (oil based) cheese squares. At my house, when we started to run out of bologna for lunch sandwiches, us kids ended up with nothing but one of those individual cheese slices on two pieces of bread with some mustard. (The remaining bologna was reserved for my dad's lunches.) When the cheese started running low, we got peanut butter.

Or maybe there wasn't even enough money that go 'round to afford meat/cheese for us kids... so peanut butter we got from start to finish. But most often we started with bologna and as the days went on, we dropped to cheese and then to peanut butter toward the end of that particular shopping period.

Now... did this bother us as kids? Not one iota. We didn't know we were poor... and compared to many in this country, we weren't poor at all. It's one of those you realize after you're grown.

I don't eat peanut butter much these days. I would probably gag if I had to eat a peanut butter sandwich, though every now and then (rarely), I do like a bit of peanut butter toast. A jar of peanut butter would probably go bad before I ever used it, though. (We buy it cuz my mom eats it...)

Bologna? While not on the lass' list, I mentioned it so it's fair game. I hate bologna. It is fucking disgusting. I have no idea how I ate that nasty shit when I was a kid. Good grief... the smell alone is enough to make me gag. My mom buys bologna for sandwiches once in a while... she's the only one who eats. (Same could be said about that nasty, individually wrapped cheese... gods that shit is gross!)

Sloppy joes we still have from time to time. They're not my favorite thing. They're just too... greasy/saucy. I think a better sloppy joe could be made (compared to the one's my mom makes) but I've no idea what would make them better. Once my mom passes, I likely won't eat them ever again, so I'm not going to worry about it.

Biscuits and gravy though? Mmmmmmmmmmm... we didn't have that when I was a kid. My mom probably didn't know how to make it, so it's not something we ate... which may be the reason that I am in love with that stuff. (If it's done properly) I don't even need sausage in mine... just biscuits and the gravy are enough for me, if the gravy is done well.

We didn't have much money growing up, but we never went hungry... and for that I consider myself pretty damn lucky. And we never knew (I didn't realize until I was a teenager) that we didn't have much money... my parents worked hard and saved their money for bigger things, like family vacations. We didn't get much for birthdays or Christmas, but we always went on a 2 wk vacation to some place fun every year. Honestly, I remember that more than I remember any toys (or whatever) that I got for bdays or Christmas.

And what's amazing to me now is that my parents... those were the only extra days off they had all year. They used every scrap of their vacation to take us to fun places once a year. That was pretty cool of them, I think.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Last night at work was interesting. Interesting in that Autumn, the new supervisor, still has not a fucking clue on how to do the very simplest of her tasks as a supervisor.

Sick call straight away in the shift. (Surprised that Bryce was the only one, considering it was Halloween and a Saturday) I told her to be prepared for more sick calls (fortunately none came) but I also told her to check the schedule to make sure 1st shift was ok with Bryce being MIA.

I told her this because I had already checked the schedule and knew that 1st shift was not going to be ok with even one sick call... which we obviously had. She said she would check the schedule... which, clearly, she didn't do. Because I received no call for voluntary or mandatory overtime and I would be the first one to get a call since I'm senior on shift. I got no call whatever.

And no... I didn't tell her that 1st was going to be short. She's been here... how many months now? She should fucking know by now that if a sick call comes in, she needs to look at the schedule and make sure our numbers are still good. I even told her to check the schedule and make sure the numbers were good. I'm not going to any more than that for you... you need to figure out how to do your fucking job. (This is not the first time she's fucked up this vot/mot overtime stuff... I don't think she's ever actually done it right even once so far. Oh wait... she did on the day that I was held over a couple of weeks ago or whatever. But that's it. She's fucked it up every since time other than that.)

How hard is it? Someone calls in sick. You, as a supervisor, get out the schedule and count how many staff are left after removing the person who called in sick. There is a minimum staffing number we cannot go under. Do we have more or less than that number? If less, you best get to calling 1) part timers 2) vot and 3) mot.

It's not that fucking hard. I think I would be reasonable in saying that this is a task that most 10 yr olds could perform successfully... maybe not the call part, but definitely the know whether they should call or not. Jesus Henry Christ.

I know they were short because (I read the schedule) I got a phone call whilst I was eating breakfast. I did not answer said phone call of course.

And then she and Billy were in control when I came back from break, talking about some religious youth group that Billy belonged to when he was young and some religious youth group that his wife's daughter belonged to until there was some battle over their (the group's) stance (non acceptence/exclusion of) on homosexuals, blah, blah, blah.

I was just sitting there listening because I wasn't part of the conversation. At one point, Autumn suddenly stops and says to Billy that she doesn't know if they should be talking about this subject in front of War, he might take offense to the subject! And she was dead ass serious.

Uh. Ok.

1) I've never heard someone (any religious person) that was concerned over hurting my heathen feelings or offending my sensibilities. So... that was a first. I suppose (maybe?) I should (maybe) give her some kudos (maybe) for being at least a bit sensitive to the fact that perhaps I might be uncomfortable.

To be forthcoming about it all... I could give two shits what other people believe or what religious conversations that have in front of me as long as 1) I'm not a captive/compelled audience 2) I'm not being preached to/at. I don't care what conversations you have regarding religion. Particularly if it's not a conversation I was involved in.

I just thought it was sort of odd. But I think she's an odd person. I also left her in central control over my first break because she said she could use some practice in there. Boy howdy. She didn't now how to use the base radio or how to transfer calls. After however many months now... three? (I can't remember, it's been a minute. Maybe four...)

She also wanted me to get on the radio at 0137 (dst) to tell everyone what the "real" time was.

I dunno if that up there ^^^ stuck... if not... it's the blinking guy meme. (I can never get memes to work...)

The clocks are wrong... how will they know?

Computer, tv, watch, cell phone... subtracting an hour from the time on the clock...

After I replied, she just stood there and looked at me. You're not going to say it over the radio? No... no I am not. Well... ok. I guess. But it would be easier if you did, I think.

I think she was surprised I told her no, for one thing. She's the supervisor, she's in charge... or so the title implies. Not how it works in my neighborhood (I don't give a good goddamn about titles) for one thing and two... I'm not going to do something stupid just because you think it's a good idea. Especially when you have no fucking clue at all about what the fuck it is you're doing. Still.

If this woman makes it a year in this facility, I will be impressed.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Tomorrows the day, innit?

It doesn't end there, unfortunately, though I think most people wish it would. And it won't end in a week or a month, either. The process has changed. I'd like to say it's not a permanent thing, but... I believe it likely is.

I'm interested to see what happens next.

I hope everyone got their vote on. Voting is important!

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Trying to avoid election stuff today.

Next to impossible, really, but doing best as I can. I'm so tired of it all, I'm just glad it'll be (sorta) over when it's over. Though, I honestly don't really think it'll be over even when it is over. That's an annoying thought, for the record.

Nothing really going on. Mom got tested for covid today. She doesn't feel well. No fever or anything like that, more likely a sinus infection (which she & my sis get constantly)... It'd be quite nice if she didn't have covid. Not only would I have to worry about covid wreaking havoc on her, but I'd have to worry about me getting it as well. I don't want it, damn it.

But... I don't think she has covid.

Karen from work tested positive. She is the 2nd confirmed in our facility (from our agency, there were several in the other agency in our facility). It'd be nice to have 14 paid days off (that does not count against your sick leave, for the record) but I don't want to get covid in order to take it. Thanks, no.

Natalie is trying like hell to get it. Covid, I mean. One of her daughters, her husband and their toddler child tested positive, so of course Natalie was telling me about how she just couldn't stay away... because how do you say no to a 2 yr old! They don't understand!

She doesn't have it yet, though, so all week she was complaining about how bad her arm hurt. She didn't do anything to it, no injury, but she couldn't move it and whined all week long about that... and then called in sick on her last day of the work week... nice three day weekend.

She (and some others) are so obvious, it's not even funny. Everyone knew what she was up to... she does it a lot. And... she doesn't get to sit in control... at all. Because I'm in there... she's finding out how much fun it is to be stuck on a unit day after day after day. I did it for nearly a year... she's done it for 6 wks. And she's dying. :rolleyes:

It reminds me of this wanker I sorta knew a few years ago. Young and lazy. Whining about being burned out from working for 6 whole years. I was like... seriously? Seriously? Wanted to get a patreon on YT for his (barely there) YouTube page... you know, so other people could pay for him to stay his lazy ass home and do nothing but play video games.

It is do-able. But you have to have decent/popular content (nope) and a personality (nope). So... yeah.

Of course, the brother to this one is an intentionally homeless tweaker (stickin' it to the man by not having a job!) so... yeah... losers. Some people's kids, I guess.

Some people just don't want to work. Lazy fuckers. They want... but they don't want to contribute to get. I don't understand that mentality. I've had a full time job for the past 38 yrs... and I'll have a full time job for at least the next 5 yrs and maybe as long as the next 16 yrs, though I hope not.

Not the happiest of thoughts. 😜

Ah well. Rambling and it's time for me to go, I guess.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Waiting on election results like Vladimir and Estragon...

Killing time until the game comes on... we win this, we've got one more to go (win) and then the championship game. Makes me nervous... this team has been right there for the past four years... they deserve to make it to the Big Game. Even if they got there and lost, I feel like they deserve the chance to be there.

Of course, that's not how it works.

As the good Dr. House once said People don't get what they deserve, they just get what they get. Truer words and all that, eh?

Obviously, if they lost it would mean they didn't "deserve" to be in the championship game... but that doesn't make me think they deserve it any less... for all the good that does anyone.

My mom had to have a blood transfusion yesterday. She was a couple pints low, I guess, so they filled her back up. Hemoglobin was quite low... so they pumped her full of new blood to help out with that and so she wouldn't go to sleep and wake up dead. Cuz... that would kinda suck. I mean, not what I'd want to find after coming home from work, eh?

Though she has gotten to the age where there are days (most of them) when I assume that's exactly what I'll find... her dead in the bed... because it's not outside the realm of possibility. I don't worry about it, mind you, because that would be pointless. I'm just... I guess I'm just starting to prepare for the inevitable. I don't think the preparation will mean much if it were to happen, but... one tries anyway.

Had a couple of young 'uns die in the city a day ago. Drove a their vehicle into a tree at a high rate of speed. Police and citizens attempted to save them... the car was on fire, but they couldn't get them out.

Can you imagine?

As a first responder, that's my biggest fear. It's not finding someone already deceased at an accident, it's not a dead child, it's not fighting like hell to save someone and being unsuccessful... none of that, though all of that would suck.

It's coming up on accident with a fire and not being able to get the person(s) out. Especially a conscious victim. I don't know if these two lads were conscious when they burned to death or not... I sure as fuck hope not. But... can you imagine that? Listening to someone burn to death and not be able to do a goddamn thing???

The stuff that nightmares are made of, surely.

Anyway. Game is on... gots to go.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Well. The lads lost their game last night. Badly. Bummer.

They played (and we coached) like they didn't belong there. That's... annoying. The kids, I get. They're just high school boys, after all. But being poorly coached? Yeah... that's not cool.

We aren't a passing team. We suck at passing. Badly. Coach decided to pass. A lot. We did run our up tempo offense to wear their line down. We didn't blitz very often. We didn't really do anything right, coaching wise.

And the lads? They fucked up, too. Shit loads of penalties, sometimes back to back. And after the other team got up a couple scores, you could seem the deflate. It's not something that's happened to us all year. And, yeah... that's boys and emotion, I know. But it killed us. I don't remember the exact score... (had to look it up) 41-16. A proper pounding.

Of course, we didn't have the lucks, either. The other team couldn't do anything wrong. Even when they fucked up, they came out golden. It was a bit frustrating to watch, honestly.

But... life is like that, innit?

We seem to have a new President elect now. Must've happened sometime today... nobody had projected by the time I went to bed this morning. (Well, that I'm aware of, anyway.) Interesting. I mean, it seemed it was going to go that way, but I honestly didn't think we'd know until like Monday.

Of course, they'll be re counts and all that fun stuff, but ultimately it seems a done dealio.

It's been interesting to watch the fall out. I don't do the Book of Faces, but most of my family does. I've been getting screen shots from them... the red dots are quite unhappy, it seems. My bil sent several screen shots from people who are friends of friends (he doesn't know them personally, is what I'm saying) going on about getting out the guns and all that fun stuff. Which is what I was concerned about with this election.

I expect that a good many of them are just bluster and hot air, but I also expect some are not. It will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next four years. I fear that the country has become an Us vs. Them society... when we're all supposed to be on the same goddamn team. I don't expect that much will change in the upcoming years, either.

This country is a hot fucking mess, is what I'm saying. I'm not sure we'll ever unfuck ourselves.

The day has been good. Got up too early, cuz I went to bed earlier than normal. (Kept sleeping through episodes of Criminal Minds on Netflix) Had the pups outside and did some patio perching.

The weather is cray cray right now. Yesterday, it was 77F. I'm not sure what the high was today (it's 73F now) but I was outside with shorts and flip flops. In November. I'm not complaining, mind you, particularly since this is all supposed to end soon and then it's supposed to snow. (Seriously) I hate winter.

For some reason, my mom decided that we should eat chow at 3p... so that means I must stock up on food before I head to work as I'm going to be starving by 10p. I have no idea what the hell she was thinking. Hell... I'm kinda hungry right now. (it was just soup... soup doesn't stick to the bones, I'm afraid.)

Yesterday, I went to pt... knew I had to pick up dog treats, meds and something for my lizard to eat... knew I needed toothpaste and deodorant... and I headed off from pt to get those things. (most of them are in the same strip mall)

And guess which ones I forgot to get? Yup. The ones that make me tolerable to other humans. Of course.

I'll have to use my mom's toothpaste, I guess. (I still have the other, but won't for much longer) Lest I be having 🐉breath at work. I'd like to say that I can't believe I did that, but I can. I'm easily distracted sometimes. I was distracted by Coca Cola that was on sale. The rest of it just went out the door after that. (For grocery store items, I mean. I didn't forget the dog treats, as I wanted to avoid a mutiny!)

I need to shave. I usually don't during November... the month of no shaving... but I didn't shave prior to the start of the month and now I have far more beard that I can stand to have. I'm not particularly a beardy guy. I'm more of the five o'clock shadow kind of guy... and I have probably 2"-2.5" of beard going on right now. That's too much...

But shaving is a pain in my ass, so... it'll be a matter of 1) if I remember when it's shower time 2) if I feel like it by then. I know it's an odd thing to not be a beard dude, but to have a beard because shaving annoys me. It's one of those things, I'm afraid. No sense to it at all... it just is.

I also need a hair cut in the worst sort of way. I probably should've done that yesterday. But I didn't. My bangs/fringe/whatever are down past the end of my schnoz yet again and I keep getting hair in my mask which inevitably ends up in my mouth, which grosses me straight the fuck out.

And yet... here I sit, hairy and bearded.
🤨

Ha. I've never noticed that little emoji up there. Me and my nephew, one of the quirks we share is that face right there... one hiked brow. We both do it. A lot. My sister has the eye roll and we have the eyebrow. Silliness.

Well... off to watch some tv and hopefully have a nap. It may be a long one tonight if I can't catch some additional winks. Nobody wants there to be a long work day.

Leaving y'all with this... seems all together fitting and proper. 🤘

·
Registered
752 Posts
Do you ever feel like people keep seeing the wrong version of you?

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Well.

Crazy weather. I thought I would have a migraine tonight since I could feel the weather sitting in my noggin' this morning during pt. It was almost 70F this morning... before the sun came up... in November. Very weird.

However, the temp is now 36F with rain/freezing rain/snow. Cuz... why the fuck not? And this is why I was feeling the weather sitting in my noggin' this morning. This drastic drop in temp. Nick said it dropped 30 degrees in an hour. I wasn't awake, so I don't know... but that wouldn't at all have surprised me. I have no idea what the high temp was today. I just now it was weirdly warm this morning.

Driving home could be fun if it snows and they don't treat the interstate again. Yay!

Todd is an interesting person to talk to... not interesting in a good way, mind you, just... interesting. Every person from the past who has worked there he just tears them to pieces. They're all losers, pieces of shit, failures, wastes of dna, etc, etc, etc...

First, let's destroy Joe... who's come back after 15 yrs (I knew it was a while, but I didn't realize it was that long!)... he's a failure and a loser and everything he's every done in his life has been a failure, etc, etc, etc. I'm not sure where all this is coming from, honestly. Joe is a nice dude, he's not the brightest bulb in the box, certainly, but he's an ok guy. He works, he does well at work (or always did, anyway) and... yeah. I think Todd's jealous because Joe's coming back as a supervisor.

I mentioned Levi, I don't remember what it concerned... Levi is a former supervisor, gone a long while like Joe. Todd said that Levi's a piece of shit, a loser, waste of dna, etc, etc, etc. Levi was awesome to work with, a supervisor who stood up to admin for staff... but he quit because he knew, you know? He's been a firefighter in a major metropolitan city for many years now.

There have been others, as well, but these two are at the top of my mind as they were the most recently discussed. And it's funny to me that Todd has anything to say about anyone else being a loser, honestly.

Todd's wife took their two sons and moved three hours away so that the boys could go to school at the same place her nephew teaches. So. Todd lives in the city, by himself, and works three jobs to support two households. He only sees his kids on the weekends. His wife doesn't work. He's basically divorced and isn't smart enough to know it.

And he criticizes other's failings? That's rich, innit?

People are silly, fo' sho'.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
One more night! After tonight, of course. But encroaching, indeed, on the days off. Yay for that.

We'll see who shows up for work tonight. It's been a coin toss of late. Rita has been in and out. Kelly has been in and out, Todd has been in and out, Natalie has been in and out and last night one of the part timers informed the supervisors, at 10p (only after they called him, mind you) that he was in quarantine. He, of course, was scheduled to work at 10p. It turned out ok, because the part timer that was splitting the shift with him was ok with coming in and doing the whole thing... else we'd have been last minute short and someone on 2nd shift would've been pissed.

Kelly... she's not going to live to be an old person. She's not 50 yet. She's already had cancer in her mouth (from smoking), and most like has COPD/chronic bronchitis (also from smoking, obviously... and yes, she still smokes), she's obese (not morbidly, but her legs are the same size from the knee to the foot, sooooo...) and she told me that she needs a blood transfusion because she's severely anemic. And last week she wanted me to do a differential diagnosis as to why blood vessels were spontaneously bursting in her hands and fingers.

She's not a healthy person, let's say. She was quarantined again for a few days, before the test came back, was at work one day and called off sick again. So... dunno what's up with her. I'd take bets on her DOD, but that seems morbid. Not that I mind morbid, but... others surely do. And it may come across as me wanting her dead, but I don't. Soooooo...

I watched (well, listened to) this tonight...

I am familiar with Matt Dillahunty, but I was not familiar with Jordan Peterson... I've not heard him speak or anything, though I have seen his name on a fair number of threads on PerC, for whatever reason. I watched (listened to) the video, which is a conversation, not a debate just to see what Peterson is about... or get a broad sense of it anyway.

As I said, I know nothing of the guy other than his name shows up in threads on PerC often enough. My take on him from this video, at least, is not particularly positive. I'm not sure if I'll bother with any more of his content for that reason.

1) He comes across as a pseudo intellectual. One thing that I found interesting when he was speaking was his stringing together several $10 words in a single sentence. I've found that persons who do such things often toss those words out to impress, intimidate, etc. people who are used to hearing $2 words. And they tend to do that because there's not much substance behind what they're saying.

2) He frequently comes across as frantic. Voice volume goes up, voice pitch goes up, words start jumping up and out like the bus is on fire.

3) His claim you can't stop smoking without supernatural intervention. 🤨😁😁😁😁😁

4) He's a spazzy fellow, eh? (He also has a cartoon character voicer, but that's not something he can help... maybe he can't help the spastic fluttering all about the place, either?)

I might've missed bits and pieces... I know I nodded a few times, only to be woke by frantic squealing from Jordan... I must've gone down a bit before the part on whether or not your head being off was conducive to your well being. 😁

Now... understand that I know nothing of Jordan Peterson other than what I heard (and saw when my eyes were open) in this video and this video alone. I'm not trying to bash the dude, since I don't know him... just tossing out my observations. And I'm not 100% on board with Dillahunty, either. I generally think he does all right (based on a lot of time watching/listening), but there are things I don't like, as well. One in particular is his habit of cursing people out and hanging up on them on his call in show, often after he's talked all over all them.

Now... I do believe that a good measure of that is theatrics to draw people in. And it does... it draws in Christians by the droves to debate the Atheist or prove some point where he's wrong, blah, blah, blah. And I get that theatrics sells (we've had four years of theatrics in this country... and it's sold a lot of merch) but I don't think his show needs it. Perhaps it did at some point in time? I have no idea. I just don't think it's necessary... makes him come across as boorish.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Five years ago today, I hit a deer on the way to work (not far from home) and fucked up my truck. Didn't go to work.

This morning, coming home from work, I nearly got a full on tag of a deer at about 65 mph. Me, doing the 65 mph, not the deer. However, lucky for both of us, the deer was hauling is fluffy little white tail across the highway balls to the wall... also lucky that I had just begun to start slowing down as my turn was upcoming. I was dropping from 70 mph, which is the posted speed limit for this particular stretch of this particular highway and the deer was beating feets.

About gave me a goddamn heart attack, though.

I'm am stupid tired and don't wanna. I have to, but I don't wanna. I should've called in this afternoon when I was having my mini bout of insomnia. But I didn't. So here we are. I think I've slept about 3.5-4 hrs... maybe a maybe a wee bit longer... and that was not all at the same time, either. When I got home from pt I had a hella time going to sleep.

I caught a nap after chow for a couple of hours... so yeah. I'm sure I'll survive, but I'll probably be hating myself for not calling in by the time tomorrow morning rolls around.

Whilst I was asleep this evening, I dreamt that a group of us were walking back to a car. We were in a wooded area, I guess you'd say. No idea where or anything. A baby bear comes up... not a little tiny one, but a smaller one... he's grabbing my arm and stuff because he knows I have candy.

So, I unwrapped a candy for him... a larger one, thinking that he'd be busy eating his candy and we could get into the car whilst he was distracted. And that worked. Sorta.

We're all in the car and I see the baby bear (now a bab lion, for the record) isn't where we left him. We're all in the car... and all the sudden I hear a baby lion mew/roar.

That was the sound, but the baby lion in the dream was much larger than this wee fellow.

I'm in the back seat and my stepmom is in the driver's seat directly ahead of me... I said something like the baby lion was talking or roaring and then I look up and I see my stepmom's face... all wide eyed and stuff. Her back is against the window, which is weird... and this is when I realized that the window was open and that the baby lion had his claws in her back and was trying to drag her out the window.

It took a second for that to sink in and then I had the call to action. I didn't want to go out my door and startle the lil cat and cause him to hurt her more, so I was trying to go out the back seat door opposite of her. Thing is, my sister was there and she wouldn't move at first. I'm screaming at her to get the fuck out of the way and she finally does, but then as I'm moving to go out the door, the opening starts to narrow so I don't fit... and then I woke up.

Dunno what the hell that was all about. 🤷‍♂️

I mean, broadly speaking it seems that my stepmom was in mortal danger and I was unable to save her. Which, is exactly what did happen to her. She was diagnosed with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML) the day after Thanksgiving (15 yrs ago) and was dead by May. There wasn't anything I or anyone else, for that matter, could do about it.

And the shocker was that all through her treatments she had been given a 70%-75% survival expectation because she responded so well to treatment. After her first treatment, nearly all the cancer was gone. After her 2nd round, it was gone... she still had a couple more to go, though... she came back cancer free...

Until the last treatment. They tested her before treating her and the AML was back and was suddenly so bad that she was deemed terminal on the spot (1-5 wks) and sent home to die. Which she did 2 wks later.

That's like being handed $10 million dollars and then having it (and much more) taken from you 5 months later... but worse than that because it's not money but someone you love. Great big old kick in the ballsack, that was.

And I was angry... mostly because I had been stupid. I had done research and knew what the mortality rate was... which was around 83% at the time. I knew better than to be hopeful... and yet, I allowed the fates to trick me into thinking she was going to be in that 17% that makes it. Silly silly me.

I think tonight was the first time I've dreamt of her. Weird. No idea why that would happen. Just a random thing, I suppose. That's how dreams work, innit? Mine seem mostly random, at least.

Anyway. Off I must go.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Sometimes when I can't sleep and am thinking, it seems as though I am having these great realizations about myself. And this makes me feel calm and at peace for a few minutes, but usually just leads to more thinking and no sleeping. I also tend to have these great intentions to make changes in my life. But when I awake in the morning, half the time I can't remember what my great realizations were. Also my motivation to follow through with these changes fades and I would say about 90% of the time I don't change. I tend to be pretty critical of myself in the middle of the night and I think a lot of these thoughts and expectations are quite unrealistic.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Sean Connery has died. That makes me sad.

I know he was old and I know he'd been unwell for a fair period of time, but damn it... James Bond isn't supposed to die.

I think, for me at least, the reason that it's had to fathom even though I know it's so isn't so much because he was Bond but because he never seemed truly "old". You know? I knew he was old(er)... he was in his 30s - 40s when I was a child watching the Bond movies... but he never seemed it.

It's hard to be truly sad for someone who dies at age 90... that's a long little while for anyone to live. But I am, anyway
I'm actually going through the Bond movies. I mean all of them. In the 90s I always saw the Pearce Brosnan movies in the cinema and loved them but never saw the classics. All my family loved the old ones so I started to go through them. Have to say they don't really hold up well. Funny enough I really liked OHMSS with George Lazenby as Bond but it seems like he's the most disliked Bond. But anything was better than You Only Live Twice. I've heard of the concept of Blackface but Japface was completely new to me until that movie. I seriously didn't watch a Bond movie for another 4 months after that. It was so bad I needed a recovery period.

But here's the biggest Bond fan ever describing his favourite movie.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
I'm actually going through the Bond movies. I mean all of them. In the 90s I always saw the Pearce Brosnan movies in the cinema and loved them but never saw the classics. All my family loved the old ones so I started to go through them. Have to say they don't really hold up well. Funny enough I really liked OHMSS with George Lazenby as Bond but it seems like he's the most disliked Bond. But anything was better than You Only Live Twice. I've heard of the concept of Blackface but Japface was completely new to me until that movie. I seriously didn't watch a Bond movie for another 4 months after that. It was so bad I needed a recovery period.

But here's the biggest Bond fan ever describing his favourite movie.

I've not seen all the Bond movies, but most. Most of them as they released, except some of the Connery movies as those actually started just before I was born. I think because I came up with Sean Connery as Bond, he is the only Bond as far as I'm concerned. I (barely) tolerated Roger Moore as Bond, hated Timothy Dalton as Bond (didn't see any of those movies because of that)... Pierce Brosnan was decent, but should've been in the role sooner. (I believed he should be bond way back when he was playing Remington Steele on tv) And I can't do Daniel Craig... that dude is ass ugly and looks like he's about 70 yrs old (except for his body). I actually thought Craig was about 10 yrs older than me and turns out he's 4 yrs younger... yeesh. George Lazenby, I didn't mind either... though I never saw OHMSS until years and years and years later. It just wasn't that popular for some reason.

I haven't watched the old Bond movies in quite a while because they don't hold up very well... and I kinda want my Bond memories intact, thanks. I really liked Goldfinger when I was a kid (which came out the year I was born, for the record) for whatever reason.

Bond: Who are you?
She: My name is Pussy Galore.
Bond: I must be dreaming...

~~~

I called off sick tonight. I slept all day (Until about 2p) but I was so tired and my head was banging along. Not long after I went upstairs for chow, my mom was looking out the window and saw a big black cloud...

Ahhhhhhhh...

That explains the pounding headache. Barometric pressure induced migraine due to a weather change... which the weather did change... cold front, rain, all that fun stuff. But I had no idea until she saw that cloud. Had chow and came back down here to the cave to lie one the couch and watch tv... which ended up being me sleeping on the couch, of course.

Woke around 1030p... my stomach felt like shit. Literally and figuratively and I felt like I was going to puke, too. That was annoying. Dealt with that feeling for another four hours... now, at 0300, I feel quite a bit better. Dunno what that was all about. Maybe I had some wee little bug or something? I have no idea. Glad it's passed, though.

I've a speaker problem on my pc. After unplugging my headphones, I can't get sound through my external speakers. Headphones work, externals do not. It's annoying as fuck, thanks so much.

I've had this happen before and I've always easily fixed it in the past, but this time? Nope. It's not fixing. I'll probably have to uninstall my drivers and reinstall them or something. Every suggested fix I've seen (that I've not already tried) doesn't seem to do anything either. I don't really want to have to wear headphones anytime I want to hear something on the computer... which is where I am right now. Yay.

It seems to be a Realtek issue with a Windows 10 update. Trying to fix... we'll see how that goes, I guess.

37301 - 37320 of 37332 Posts