Personality Cafe banner
37621 - 37640 of 37685 Posts

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Oh my god, @warweasel is still out here giving his updates. That's so oddly comforting for me.

Dunno if anyone remembers this old crone, but I'm baaaacck. Didn't feel like I have enough typology enthusiasts in my life and I've been trying to take advantage of creative outlets and generally just do more of what makes me happy.

Looking forward to potentially reconnecting with some "old" faces (if they're still around) and getting to know some new ones. It's been a wild ride since I was last here.
Still here chuggin' along. Welcome back!
~~~
I am going to work tonight. I'll probably die or at least feel like I'm going to anyway. This nonsense illness sucks balls.

I don't want to go. I don't feel well. But I don't want to burn anymore sick leave nor do I want to have to go to the doc again... this time to get a note. So... we'll just go back and be miserable and spread our germs about the place. Cuz that's what the agency dictates.

It's a funny thing... because whether or not your use of sick leave is legit or not (and obviously we have a lot of sick leave used for bogus reasons) you're all lumped together in the same boat. If you use sick leave when you're not sick, you're abusing sick leave. When you use sick leave and you are sick, you're still abusing sick leave... because you're really not ever supposed to use sick leave. For any reason. Legit or not.

Vacation leave is almost the same way. Only you can't abuse that. It's the opposite. It's supposed to be a perk, a bonus, a benny... but, we're not going to approve it. So, you can accumulate it, but... can't use much of it.

So much for benefits, eh?

·
Registered
INFJ - Type 5 (529) - Ravenclaw
367 Posts
It's been a hot minute since I've posted.

I was tasked by my manager to interview and hire a receptionist, as I'm the front office supervisor. I was so nervous to do this, as I had never done it before. I've had plenty of experience going through resumes, scheduling interviews, and doing working interviews, just not the actual interview and hire.

My first interview went okay. After that I felt totally fine for the future ones. I had a few no shows which is so annoying. There weren't many people applying because everyone is hiring right now. I had a girl that was good for both the interview and working interview, so I hired her. Today was her first day on the job and she did really well for someone that had never worked in the vet field before. I hope we don't scare her off with how busy our hospital is.

The Euro Cup started on Friday. I love this sport and I'm going to try to watch as much of it as I can. There was a 29 year old Danish player, Christian Eriksen, on Saturday, that suffered a cardiac arrest on the field during the game and died, but was resuscitated with CPR and a defibrillator. Both teams and fans on both sides were in distress. They revived him on the field and he was conscious when they carried him off. He's stable in the hospital and further tests are being run as to why this happened.

The teams had an emergency meeting with UEFA and it was decided that they would resume the game later that day. Denmark lost. Whether they were going to or not, I don't think having them carry on in a game while they were all traumatized was the best decision. I do also understand that this tournament has a tight schedule and there's really no way to reschedule games. I hope the best for the team and the player himself. I don't know what this means for his future as a professional footballer, but he's so fortunate to be alive.

It's starting to get really hot in California now that summer is approaching and I don't like it.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Ordered flowers for my son's service on Thursday and I cried when relating the message to the florist: "Benjamin, my Benji Boy, my beloved son: My love for you transcends through all of space, all of time, forever and a day. I love you with the entirety of my being and every moment I will miss you ~Love, Mom"

How on earth do I expect to get through speaking a eulogy for my son? I HAVE to do this, I want to do this. No one else can convey what I feel, only me. I must find a way getting through without a complete breakdown.

Last night I had a dream of my son. He came back. I guess he was visiting? Also.... the dishwasher keeps turning on by itself and the kitchen light going brighter suddenly.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Oh my god, @warweasel is still out here giving his updates. That's so oddly comforting for me.

Dunno if anyone remembers this old crone, but I'm baaaacck. Didn't feel like I have enough typology enthusiasts in my life and I've been trying to take advantage of creative outlets and generally just do more of what makes me happy.

Looking forward to potentially reconnecting with some "old" faces (if they're still around) and getting to know some new ones. It's been a wild ride since I was last here.

Hi @Zosio- Welcome back! Most INFJ’s from days of old have retired 😕

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Ordered flowers for my son's service on Thursday and I cried when relating the message to the florist: "Benjamin, my Benji Boy, my beloved son: My love for you transcends through all of space, all of time, forever and a day. I love you with the entirety of my being and every moment I will miss you ~Love, Mom"

How on earth do I expect to get through speaking a eulogy for my son? I HAVE to do this, I want to do this. No one else can convey what I feel, only me. I must find a way getting through without a complete breakdown.

Last night I had a dream of my son. He came back. I guess he was visiting? Also.... the dishwasher keeps turning on by itself and the kitchen light going brighter suddenly.
Will be thinking about you on Thursday. What time is it at? You can do it. ❤

·
Registered
INFJ - Type 5 (529) - Ravenclaw
367 Posts

Oh hun, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I'll be thinking of you and I hope you find comfort in the memories you cherish of your son. We're here for you. Xx

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
This virus. It needs to get on outta here now. We're at a week and a half now. GIT!

I feel better. I'm going to work. I still feel bad, though. And I've asked to be in central control the past two days because any meaningful physical activity (such as walking) causes me to break into prolonged coughing fits. It's awesome. 😕

Fighting the virus makes me tired. Wears me out. I just want to sleep all the time. Like right now. I'd like to be asleep right now. I was asleep 30 minutes ago. I got up, ate chow and went back to sleep for a couple more hours. But... it's not enough. Especially considering the over abundance of 1stie call offs right now. And I'm back at the top of that list because whilst I was off, several more people got stuck with mandatory overtime. (Rita said we'd been through the entire 3rd shift list three times in a week and a half. I'm the only person who's not got caught more than once and that's only because of my days off and missing extra days due to being sick.)

Hopefully, I can make it through tonight with not having to stay. Because even if I get mandated, I won't stay long. They can't make me when I'm sick. I'll not be happy about blowing extra sick leave, but... whatever.

I talked with Lacey on the phone until 0100 last night. She called thinking she'd forgotten something (a personal item) and thought it was in control. It wasn't. And then we just talked about shit. Nothing particularly exciting really. We just never get to have a conversation right now because I never see her at work.

She asked me about Ian (from the other agency in our building) and if I'd heard anything about him, since he's been off work for like a month. I told her I'd not heard much, only that he might being having problems with his kidneys. Then she said she'd messaged him on the Book of Faces and he'd said he still works there (the other agency) but didn't know if he was going to return to the job or not.

So we talked about Ian for a while. She said he'd had a big crush on Cinder (one of our former 2nd shifters) and was almost to the point of stalking her. Leaving gifts on her car and all sorts of stuff like that. Cinder liked Ian, but just as friends and wasn't interested in having any sort of relationship. (Cinder has since moved back to NY where she's from... she was only in this state to care for elderly grandparents who'd ended up passing away.)

Then Lacey says... you know he used to be she right?

Me: Ian? Ian used to be a girl?
She: You can't tell anyone.
Me: Why would I tell anyone?
She: I know you wouldn't, but yeah. He told Cinder he used to be a girl. You can tell if you look at his face.
Me: I look at his face and see a beard... I don't think female.
She: But he has a feminine face.
Me: I don't think so. Looks like a dude to me. Has a feminine body, though.
She: With the big butt?
Me: Young dudes aren't generally built like that.
She: No.
Me: Well... now I know a trans person. My 1st one!
She: You don't know any trans people? I know a lot of trans people.
Me: Well... none that I'm aware of, at least.
She: Right. Gotcha.
Me: Well, it's a good thing people here don't know. It would not be a good thing.
She: I know.
Me: There are people (our staff) who play around with him, like dudes do, who'd turn on him in an instant if they knew.
She: I know.

Todd, Billy... just to name two... would lose their fucking shit if they knew Ian used to be a girl. They would go from playing around with him to instantly thinking he was sick and disgusting. I don't think they'll find out... he passes as far as I'm concerned. He's obviously passing with everyone else, too, cuz I've not heard any bit of rumblings about him not being a dude. But... it just takes one little leak...

I personally don't understand the hate. Hating a trans person, to me, is no different than hating someone because of their race or religion or nationality, sexuality or whatever other stupid thing people get up to hating over. Another person being trans and transitioning has no effect on anybody other than them... so... mind your business. You don't have to agree with it, you don't have to like it... but you should still treat people with respect. Because your opinion is just that... and nobody else has to pay your opinion any mind whatever.

People are ridiculous.

For me, finding out Ian used to be a girl changed absolutely nothing for me. He's still Ian, regardless of what he used to be. I mean, I find it interesting and a bit novel, because as I said... he's the first trans person I've known. (That I'm aware of... obviously had Lacey not told me about Ian, I'd have gone on forever thinking I still hadn't known any trans people...) But change anything else? No. Why would it?

Going back to my illness...

I wasn't not aware, until this "virus" that the human body could create so much snot. I'm not even kidding. I'm like a walking snot factory right now. I need like... 3 ply tissues the size of paper towels cuz one blowing can completely fill a normal tissue... sometimes to the point where I can't continue using it and I'm not finished blowing yet. It's gross.

The other thing... which is not related to the "virus" (because I checked with urgent care) is two big red splotches on my air. They were really red on Friday. Saturday I went to urgent care and she decided that they were spider bites. And I was thinking to myself... when did the fucker get me? Only to remember a couple days later that Friday was the day that I decided I was going to pretend that I wasn't sick and go patio perching. (Which lasted 30-45 mins because I was sick and pretending I was not wasn't cutting it.)

Whilst I was patio perching at one point, I was one my phone. I felt a tickling on my right hand... but I just assumed it was a fly, because... outdoors, right? So I didn't pay it any mind for a bit... but when the tickling continued (flies go away) I decided to look and see what kind of critter was crawling on me (it's usually damn ants!) and saw it was a spider of fairly decent size for his species.

Now I don't don't what species that is... but they're shaped like rectangles and hairy, not a wolfy or anything like that. And I say he was good sized because any other time I see this kind of spider, they're usually pretty small. This one was fairly large and he startled me so I did the spider freak out hand shake (and I'm not even scared of them!) and he landed on the patio and scurried off to... wherever he went.

I assume that he is the one that bit me down by my elbow. Twice. The little bastard. He was probably on the arm of my chair... and decided my elbow was an interloper that needed biting.

It's faded now, but you can still tell where I was bit. It never itched or anything. It was just bright fucking red. Urgent care just said to watch it for infection or allergic reactions.

Anyway. Gots to get off to work now. Yee haw!

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Yesterday was hot has Hades... 100F... over by the end of it all, me thinks. But I don't recall. My phone says 102F... but my phone and the local peeps don't often match up. It was 99F at around 1p or so... so... yeah.

I stayed out after work and let the dogs play until it just got too hot. So... all morning and the very early afternoon. After that, we came in and napped together on the couch. We were all pretty warm.

Decided to grill ribs in the 100F heat. Just... don't grill shit when it's 100F outside, people. I have no idea what I was thinking. (Yes I do... I was thinking I needed to eat ribs, sooooooo...) It was just unbearable by the grill. Heat that normally wouldn't have bothered me much was actually burning me (when I went to turn the meats and what not) and... ugh. Icky. But... the job got done and ribs got ate. Lots of delish ribs. Me loves ribs.

I also eat them like a barbarian, I'm not going to lie. It's a very primal thing, eating ribs. Especially when your mother only cuts every 2nd or 3rd bone... there's a lot of gnawing and tearing and ripping happening. But it's so worth all the growling and yanking to get it accomplished.

My one gripe is that mom bought Kraft bbq sauce instead of Sweet Baby Ray's... a travesty. A goddamn shame.

Today we got up at 0730. Not because I wanted to be up at 0730... but because I wanted to make sure the puppos got their time to play in the yard before it got stupid hot again. But... it didn't get stupid hot today. 88F... and humid as fuck, but much cooler than yesterday just the same. It even thundered and made rain a few times throughout the day.

So... we were outside all day long. Patio perching, gaming and tossing the disc. We came in for about 30 minutes so I could eat lunch... and the puppos went in for about an hour when we human beans went to the bar for chow. Elsewise, we were outside the entire day. Only just came in about an hour ago... I was getting hot and honestly, just tired of flicking bugs off me, sitting on patio furniture and that sorta thing.

A spider like the one I think bit me last week was on my hand again today! Bastards! I've not looked to see if the asshole bit me anywhere before I discovered him walking on the back of my hand. I'll find out later, I suppose. Probably when I take a shower, which probably won't be until tomorrow.

My toilet broke. Well, the handle bit, anyway. I got the parts for that... I should probably fix it at some point tonight. I don't much feel like it at the moment, though. I also got a bunch of razor blades. I went to the store a week or two ago to buy razors and some other toiletry type shit and... bought the wrong kind of razors. (Right brand... wrong model) Since I'd already opened them, I didn't return them. I just bought the handle that goes with those blades... and bought more blades for my old razor. So... now I've got two razors and a metric shit ton of blades.

I can shave now. I'm bearding and it's hot. And I'm not a fan of beards. Or facial hair. Or shaving, for that matter. Mostly I have scruff cuz... I don't like shaving and I don't like being furry... so... I kinda don't shave until I can't stand the furriness and then shave it off. Weird, I suppose... but whatever.

And what is it with all the young 'uns bearding up these days? Every young dude I know has a beard. Every one. Even my nephew. Beards are everywhere. Not just young 'uns, either, but... mostly young 'uns. Are all y'all just... ugly and you're hiding it under all that fur? I'm curious. My dad has had a beard since the beginning of time. He shaved it off once and we made fun of him, because he looks stupid without a beard. Not because we're not used to it, but because he has a weak chin (not terrible so, but still...) and he looks like my great uncle Norman (RIP) without a beard... so... we made fun of him and called him NORM! (in Cheers fashion) until he grew it back.

So... you know... if you's is hiding some ugliness... well... fair enough. But... otherwise, I don't really get it. It's like all the young un's are watching reruns of Grizzly Adams or some shit.

Beards and man buns... 🤷‍♂️

My nephew texted me yesterday and asked me if I knew this one person... and the person was Billy. I told him I indeed knew Billy and why did he ask me that? Cuz... that's some random ass shit right there.

Well... seems my nephew interviewed Billy for a job at the prison, in the facility where he (the boy) works.

Interesting...

I told him Billy was a dumbass, told him of his current woes (being investigated for excessive force) and what not, said that I couldn't stand the dude (because I can't), but that he'd probably be just fine for the boy's facility. My nephew said that was too bad (that he was an asshole and that he was being investigated) because he was the best interviewee he'd had so far... but he said if the reference check had anything about this investigation (or the previous two, which were bogus... I don't think this one is) then he'd not get hired. And like us, the boy's agency is in desperate need of employees... (all correctional facilities are in desperate need... if you're needing a job and you're not a pussy, look up your local state pen... likely they need help.)

So... I find that interesting. Isaiah had told me that he'd heard (or seen or been told or whatever) that Billy was on camera punching a kid... and the fact that Billy's investigation is in it's 3rd (going on 4th) week and that Billy is looking for other employment... the fact that all those things are happening, seems pretty likely he's going to be fired and he knows it... so he's trying to scoop up another job real quick... and hell... the state pen is in desperate need (always) as I said... and they'll pretty much hire anyone.

No kidding. Right after my nephew got hired they hired a local tattoo artist. Who's my age-ish, 400 lbs or so and only has one leg. (He didn't last an entire year, but that was more because he's a pussy than the other stuff.) So... you know when they're hiring old, fat, one legged folk... pretty much anyone is going to get the job.

I wish I could say I feel sorry for Billy. But I very strongly dislike him and I don't give a fuck that he's probably going to get fired. Good riddance, so far as I'm concerned. I don't want him to be jobless and destitute... it's not like that, so I hope he gets the job at my nephew's facility. But... I'll be glad to get him the fuck outta mine, cuz if I ever saw him again, it'd be too soon.

I suppose I should mosey along and go do something. Fix the toilet maybe. (Nah... don't feel like it.)

I'll leave you with Josh Turner & friends.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Man... just coughed till I upchucked in my mouth a wee bit. (TMI, I know...) Fuck this virus nonsense, man. It's been a week since the urgent care person told me I was in the worst of it and it would run it's course and be over.

Still not over. We're going on 3 wks now... what the fuck. I'm annoyed. And tired.

Virus fighting (or whatever) makes your body tired. I woke up for chow tonight, ate some foods and came back down to the cave and my couch and went solid back to sleep for 2 more hours. And I would've still been sleeping if the alarm hadn't gone off and the dogs woke me up. (I don't hear the alarm ever... the dogs do and they know what it means...)

There is nothing for today. I went to bed around 0800 and woke up at chow time... and you know the rest. Exciting, but I was tired as fuck. From staying up all day/night and then from this "virus" trying to kill me. Stupid shit. :mad:

They called for overtime last night for 1st shift this morning. So... I'll have that to worry about tonight. Getting mandated to work more overtime. I'm at the top of that list again already. Fun fun. The upside is that I would demand to work in control and that Doug said that I should call him on Sundays if I get held over... if he doesn't have anything going on, he will come in for me after he gets up and moving. So... there's that. Of course tomorrow's Father's Day, sooooo...

This happened...

This piece of shit who was being shot at was trying to hide behind children while the gunman continued to fire at him. He didn't run them down on purpose. I watched that bit about 10x... they crossed in front of him, but after? After, he is crawling around trying to hid behind their bodies. Chicken shit motherfucker.

Granted... it wouldn't be fun to be shot at. I certainly wouldn't want to be shot... but I wouldn't cower behind children, either. I'd want the children to get shot even less than I'd want me to get shot... because they're fucking children. Grown ass man hiding behind children. Fuck that dude.

I was watching some Days Gone game play on the YT my last night of work last week. Decided to watch some vids of people playing the game "blind"... meaning, not having played it before or really knowing much about it. I thought that would be an interesting way to pass time.

One dude I watched... I'm not sure he's ever played a video game before, not just Days Gone. Holy shit, he was bad. He spent a good... 10 minutes... at one point trying to figure out how to get on a roof. Despite walking past the very obvious up point repeatedly... despite watching a couple of npc baddies go up the same spot. My. God. It was painful. Like... bro... Jesus Christ. I don't know how many followers he had, but his videos weren't getting many likes. (That was one reason I was watching... I like to a have a fair mix of gamers to sub to... makes life more interesting) Eventually, I had to stop watching it because he was hurting my brain.

I went through a few other dudes that I didn't watch much for various reasons. (Usually, it's a voice... sometimes, I just can't deal with some people's voices. Or maybe an accent that's difficult to listen to... one guy because his volume was so low, I could barely hear him, etc.)

I decided to watch a guy with a lot of views then. He was worse than the dude with hardly any views. He had between 1000 & 5000 views on each video and he's definitely a good gamer (his head shots were pretty impressive & consistent) but my god... was he arrogant. Jesus Christ.

He ranted and whined through every video about how bad the game was. If he missed a head shot (and he did) it was the games's fault (it wasn't), he ragged on about this, that and pretty much everything to be honest. And I really don't kow why he was even playing the game. He decided he hated the developers and they suck, the game sucks, game play sucks, aiming sucks, stealth sucks... on and on and on.

It was a bit much, honestly. He wasn't paying any attention to the story line or the missions. He was so busy ranting and crying that he'd get to a mission and not know what he was supposed to do. At one point there is a mission where you have to find a guy named Two Dog... this arrogant gamer dude thought he was looking for two dogs... because he was just rambling through, not paying any fucking attention to anything about the game.

I had to stop watching him after a while, too. Too much of a fucking crybaby.

Anyway. Time to go to work. Yippee skippy.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
I'm so tarred.

I got to work an extra 4 hrs today, very much against my will. And so I obviously got home late and got to bed late and then when I did get to bed, I couldn't sleep. It was after noon the last time I looked at the clock... it was probably closer to 1p before I fell asleep and I was up again at 530p. Took a 2 hr nap on the couch after chow, but... it weren't enough.

Ugh. Fuck. I hate being tired and having to work. Especially when work is the reason I'm tired and... because work is work, there's always the possibility that I will work more hours against my will this morning. Less probable, but still possible. That shit has happened. Recently, even.

It doesn't help that I'm still under the weather. Definitely improving, but still not 100%. Ugh.

I worked in control this morning. Though I might die from boredom. 1sties don't do a fucking thing. For four hours I sat in the box and twiddled my thumbs. Definitely better than dealing with the youthful offenders when you've been up all night, but still... when you're already tired and you've got nothing to do... ugh. A whole bunch of ugh.

And not like you can read or do crosswords during a day shift. Very much against the rules because the delinquents are out running about. You've got to be paying attention... though admittedly, it's hard when there's nothing happening. I watched a couple boys pay ping pong on max security via the security camera system. That was exciting. :rolleyes:

Walt was supposed to come in at 10a and cover the last four hours of the shift. He called back before I was mandated (but when we knew it was going to happen) and said he'd take the back half. Fair enough. Always appreciated. I left at 1005a when I was relieved by Karen... Walt still wasn't there. I wonder if he ever showed up? People don't always...

Doug had told me earlier if I get stuck on Sundays to call him and he'll come in and work the back half. I didn't this time because Walt had called and talked to a supervisor before I ever had a chance. But at least it's nice to know if he doesn't have anything going on, he'll come in. (It's not out of kindness, it's to move his name to the bottom of the ot list with a guarantee of only working the amount of hours he wants to work. Nobody there does anything out of kindness.)

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Ugh.

This virus nonsense. I feel better. Like... 100x better. And yet... not 100%. I'm tired. I cannot seem to get enough sleep, especially on days that I have to work. I went to bed around 0930 this morning. Slept till... I'm not even sure what time... 530p? Somewhere around there. I ate chow and then came down here to the cave, laid down on the couch and went back to sleep... woke with my alarm and... could lie down right now and immediately go back to sleep... probably sleep all night long, too. And I'm so fucking tempted to just do it and let the chips fall where they may.

But... I really can't. Not yet anyway. Hopefully that day comes, but it isn't today.

I talked to Isaiah last night. He said last Friday he almost quit. He just about said fuck it and walked out. How's now seriously considering going into law enforcement (Something he would be good at... his only hesitation in the recent past was being a black cop in the current climate. But as I told him last night... I don't think it would be an issue here. Not a huge one, at least... and he agreed with me.) and that he was going to apply for some of the jobs here in a minute.

It would suck to lose him, but I don't blame him... and if I were him, I'd have done it a long fucking time ago. (I actually told him to do it a long fucking time ago... to get out, at least. As much as I don't want to lose one of the three people I can actually trust in the facility, I hate to see someone end up staying to long and then end up in my situation where you're too damn old and nobody wants to hire you.)

And then after I finished my conversation, I have a very similar conversation a few minutes later with Malachi. He also almost quit one Friday. He called in sick on Saturday... so I figured he was pissed off about something. Malachi is rarely sick sick. If Malachi is calling in sick, it's usually because he's a fraction from blowing a gasket and murdering people. (Not that I think he actually would murder people, but... you fucking never know when people are constantly under duress at work. Shit happens.)

There have been a few work place shootings just in the past couple of months, soooooooooo...

Doug is a funny one. He was going on in shift briefing about the overtime 3rd has to do. As if it's something new (it is... for him) and somebody needs to do something about it! When we left briefing, as I was walking past him to control, I said Welcome to 3rd shift... this has been the situation the entire 23.5 yrs I've been here.

Well. It's pissing me off!

Yeah. Now. Now it's pissing you off. At no time in the previous 23.5 yrs was it pissing you off. I wonder why that is??? Oh... because in the previous 23.5 yrs it didn't effect you. It's only a problem now, that needs something done about it, now that it's effecting you. Before? Fuck 3rd shift... right?

Which just proves one of Malachi's more common (and correct) points; They know when shit is wrong, they just choose to ignore it because it doesn't effect them. Which... yeah. That's it, in a nutshell.

Just looked at my voicemail and there's a message from work... they were calling on 1st shift today for overtime on 1st shift tomorrow. Because of course they are. Hell to the no. I just did overtime a few days ago. But... this is the pattern that we're in... I bet that probably by the time the weekend comes around (not my days off, but the actual weekend), it'll be back around to my turn to do overtime again... because it's nearly every day at this point.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Ugh. My mom has given me daycare kid germs! Snot wrangler germs! Ugh!

My mom was under the weather, still kinda is... has/had a sinus infection or whatever... brought on by some nasty shit she caught at my sister's house. (I know this because several kids are sick as is my sister)

And she shared them with me. Started out with a hot throat. You know... not really scratchy, not really sore... just icky feeling? I call that having a hot throat. Like... a pre scratchy/sore throat. We did that for like... 3 days. Then it went to scratchy for a day, then back to absolutely nothing. Weird, right?

But I started getting congested. Sneezing and coughing all over the place. (Sneezing is allergies, though.) So... ok... I've got a stupid cold and stupid allergies and they're ganging up on me, the bastards! Went to work battling with that for a few days, too. Didn't feel good... but didn't really feel bad, either. Just sorta blah, but in a blah sick way, not a regular blah way. If that makes sense?

And then Wednesday, it all went to shit. So congested that I woke up once, flailing, because I couldn't breath. I was flailing about like I was trying to get something off my face/head... when there wasn't anything there. I was just so congested that I shut off my own air and my body freaked the fuck out.

I was so congested that when I tried using a spray nasal congestant, it just all ran back out... which rather defeats the purpose. It was really not very cool at all. I didn't really sleep very much Wednesday... I slept Thursday during the day and again on Friday during the day. Which... is stupid. I should've got my ass up and went to urgent care on one of those days, but I thought it would get better after a couple of days.

So... I ended up driving into the city on Saturday, first thing (I hadn't slept), to urgent care. (We have two urgent cares in my town, but neither are open on weekends, which... I'm not sure what the point is if you're closed on weekends?) They freaked out and thought I had covid. Kicked me out to the parking lot. Made me wait out there far longer than I was happy with, but... whatever.

They finally came and got me and tested me for covid, which I did not have. (I knew it wasn't covid, but I get their concern as I was pretty sick.) And then... they didn't really want to do anything for me. It's a virus, it'll run it's course. Yeah... ok... but can we please do something about not fucking being able to breath? That'd be great. Coughing myself into fucking oblivion. (Because by this point if I was awake, which was most of the time, I just coughed continually. Like... nonstop. Like coughing till you barf kinda shit.)

Finally convinced her to at least give me coughing medication that would make me sleepy. So I could not cough myself silly and so that I could maybe sleep a little bit.

So. I'm still congested (not as bad) and still coughing and still not sleeping very much. Yay! I don't have a fever anymore... I had one when I went to urgent care. I had one when I came home from urgent care. I took the cough medication and finally asleep... when I woke, I was soaked in sweat. So... that part is done with now. (It's not come back at all. Which is fine with me.)

I'm not going to work yet tonight. I don't feel that well. Obviously. My stomach's unhappy. (Apparently, the cough medicine can do that.) I'm congested and still coughing, though I can breath and I'm not continually coughing. My diaphragm is absolutely killing me. Better that than my ribs, but oh my... it feels like I've done about 5 million sit ups. And my back and hips hurt from lying down so much. (I was so congested, I'd start feeling woozy if I was upright too long)

It's all just been... pretty miserable, honestly.

On Thursday, I tried to pretend like I wasn't sick... went outside with the puppos... I think I made it about 45 mins... and that was the end of that. And I've not been anywhere but my living room (and urgent care) since then. It's been a fairly shit weekend/days off and such. I mean... I got a nice extended weekend... all five days of it, but didn't enjoy a bit of that time, so... it still sucks.

The only upside is the short work week on the backside... three days and I'm out.

I'm going back tomorrow no matter how I feel. I feel better today than I did yesterday... so... tomorrow should be even better. Maybe I'll even be able to breath properly! And anyway... I'll just have to get through three days. And hope there's no overtime. Because there have been calls again. At least one call for Saturday... I haven't checked my messages since then so I have no idea if there are more. Nor do I care, honestly.

~~~
That was last night. Apparently, I got side tracked or tired or something and just stopped. I honestly don't remember and it doesn't really matter, I suppose.

I did sleep off and on all night on the couch. I haven't been in my bed since... Wednesday? Yeah... sometime Wednesday during the day. That's when I woke up and couldn't breath. I tried to go to bed one other night (don't recall which one) and I couldn't sleep. I was feverish and my room is so cold... I was about to freeze to death and though my bed is 1000x more comfortable than my couch, I just felt like I could sleep better on my couch, so after about an hour, I went back out to the couch. I didn't really sleep better... but at least I wasn't cold.

I feel moderately better, but not great. And I'm going to work tonight, so... whatever. It's going to suck. I'm going to be physically spent... cuz my body is just tired from not sleeping well and coughing all the fucking time. Plus sleeping on the couch, which my back and hips do not appreciate at all, let me tell you...

I was just upstairs letting the puppos out and having a bite... after I finished eating and was getting ready to come back down here, decided to relieve my nose of snot... so I blew my nose. (exciting, I know...)

Both ears popped, I got dizzy and thought I was going to pass out. 🤒

Good times, that. I didn't, but I had a death grip on my chair... not that having a death grip on my chair was going to do me any good if I passed out, mind you, but... whatever. I guess my brain wasn't ready for the change in pressure or something... good grief.

When I say I've been having problems with being severely congested, I ain't playing around, kids.

I glad I didn't pass out because 1) I'm old... bouncing off the floor would hurt. 2) It would've freaked my mom the fuck out. The second is probably worse than the latter... because there'd be deputies and firefighters and my sis & bil and all sorts of shit, most likely... that I didn't actually need. And probably a ride to a hospital that I don't actually need and all that fun stuff, too.

Though I suppose if I just dropped to the floor, I might actually need the hospital. Something would hurt. 🤕

My baby niece turned two years old over the weekend. None of us here went to the celebration, for obvious reasons.
Hopefully you'll feel better soon. I swear people are treating every sickness as COVID. It's like they forgot anything but covid exists.
How rude of those girls.
"Oh don't help him, he doesn't have coronavirus. Doesn't matter if he'll die. We can only treat and are only authorised to treat covid. Sorry if you don't have covid, it's not urgent enough, even if you're bleeding from your lungs. (Because people only die from COVID these days.((wink wink.))"

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Well. Survived work and now we're to the days off. Huzzah! 🖕 :cool:🖕

I wasn't 100% sure I wasn't going to be held for mandatory overtime for this morning, though... so there was that nigglin' around in the back of my noggin' the entire shift. Made it, though. But as I said in an early post, by the time my days off are over and the (actual) weekend returns, it'll probably be me back on the mot hit list #1. Yay. :(

It was an easy enough night... me sitting in central control. Watched gaming videos, did some crosswords... might've Googled some shit... definitely did Google some shit... don't really remember what, though. I know some was about Greenland... because a pic from there came up on the control pc... so I wanted to check into that. Maybe I'll go there some day. I think Iceland would be interesting as well.

Maybe Denmark some day. I wouldn't mind taking a looky loo around Denmark... one set of great grandparents (the evil grandmonster's parents) came here from Denmark in the early 1910s. Like... 1912-14 or so? It's around that time and I believe they came over at different times (years) so... yeah.

Both of the came from Sonderholm. If there was an ex pat thing were a great grandchild could gain citizenship, I'd consider moving there. After retirement, of course. But... that I'm aware of, no such program exists and even if it did, it'd not likely go back as far as great grandchildren anyway.

I think I'd be a little freaked out by all that tall, blonde Scandanavianess, though. Cuz I'm none of those things. Well... except moderately Scandanavian. ;)

I have a sad puppy dog here today. He's been whining all morning because he wants to go outside and play, which is what I fully intended to do with both of them when I got home from work this morning. However... storms rolled through last night, twice... and it is a wet, muddy mess outside. A couple of inches of rain, some hail, a little wind = extreme humidity, extreme muddiness and branches and what not all about the yard.

Le sigh. I feel bad for the poor lil guy... he wants out to play disc and... nope. Maybe this evening, but now? It's just too fucking muddy. (My chair's dry, though... it was wet earlier. I'm just not sure how much the muddy yard bits will dry after 2" of rain.)

My mom wants to go to the small zoo in the city tomorrow because it's supposed to be not as damn hot tomorrow. (She had originally wanted to go today, but they upped the temps and she decided tomorrow would be better. I guess we'll see how that plays out tomorrow, eh?) I think I'll bring my camera and big lens with me and maybe shoot some shots of... whatever. Last time I got decent photos of penguins and eagles. We'll see... if it's raining or thinking about raining, won't be dragging the camera out, though.

Only one confirmed dead so far, but I expect that will change...

Goddamn... what a way to wake up, eh? With your apartment just... falling down. Happened around 0100... people in bed, I would assume, being a weekday night and all that. I can't imagine. I saw on another video, the firefighters removing a boy from the rubble... alive. Poor kid. Just imagine being asleep in your bed one minute and then under an apartment building the next.

There is fear that the entire building will collapse. I hope the first responders stay safe out there.

Well... I think it's time for me to have a lie about on the couch now. I've been home six hours and haven't gotten around to that whole sleeping thing yet. I probably should.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
The days off are all but gone and nothing got did.

The pups never got to play outside, we never went to the zoo... nada. Because it decided to storm both days. Rain and thunder and lightening and all that fun stuff. It was storming last night, too. I think we've gotten about 4.75" of rain in the past two days. We needed the rain, desperately. We just didn't need like two months worth in two days.

It's a bit... moist... here is what I'm saying. Waters getting a little high in the local streams and creeks. It takes a fair bit for us to start seeing flooding around here... but we really don't need anymore rain or we'll be getting to the point where it's going to start being just a tad bit more than a tad bit iffy.

The dry creek behind the pharmacy was a roaring little river when I was over there just about an hour ago. That does flood over sometimes, but it's not a huge problem... and it's pretty rare. As I said, it's typically a dry creek. (It wasn't when I was a kid, but... shit has changed.) After my pharmacy run, I drove out to check on the big creek... it's basically the size of a small river and it borders my town on two sides. (On the east, then it elbows over and borders on the north as well) This... this is the one that can cause problems. Not all the way up to my house, but for the peeps living around it, it can get really bad. (It's flooded before and we went canoeing in a bean field...)

Like the dry creek, it doesn't flood often... but when it does it fucks some shit up.

So... no hanging out outside and no visit to the zoo. Bummer, dude. My mom was disappointed, but... what can you do? Mother Nature does what Mother Nature does and nothing you can do about that. We'll go later on in the year. No big deal... it did suck to just be trapped inside both of my days off, though. Like winter all over again. Ugh.

I slept a lot yesterday. Well... not yesterday, Thursday. I did stay up until like... 1p or something. Then I got up for chow and then I pretty much slept on the couch until about 10p, maybe? Then went to bed and slept until 10a. I needed that sleep, obviously. I knew I was running on empty thanks to that mandatory overtime last Sunday morning. Fucked up my whole sleep pattern for the entire week. Yay.

I dunno how that bit's going to play out over this weekend, either. I didn't see any overtime calls for 1st shift on my days off (1 call for 2nd shift, though) so... hopefully, there are still people ahead of me on the mandatory list. (Mal, Todd, Natalie... both Doug & Rita are behind me.) I really hate having to fucking worry about this bullshit every fucking day I go to work. Nothing like making a stressful job even more stressful by the looming threat of working an additional 8 hrs, against your will, over your head.

When I left... Billy's name was back on the schedule. I dunno if he's actually back or if they just hadn't gotten around to marking him off that far out? I guess I will find out tonight. At least tonight is easy peasy lemon squeezy... just hanging out in central control, watching videos and shit. Maybe do a crossword or two. Or read a book... I've snatched three from the library from work. Just something to kill time.

If I could work in central control every night, I'd hate my job less. I'd still hate it, but it'd be a little bit more tolerable. I just need to find a different job. Last week, there wasn't really anything to apply for... we'll see what this week brings, I suppose. New postings for gubberment jobs like mine should be up tonight. We'll look and see. Nothing else to do.

I scroll through the sites like Indeed and what not... tons of fucking jobs. Tons and tons and tons. The vast majority of them paying around $12-$13 hrly. Yeah... I can take a pay cut, but not that much of a pay cut. Jesus Christ. Employers complain that they can't find employees... well... fucking pay something, for fuck sake. Who the fuck can live on that??? Not me... especially not with also supporting my mom. That's just fucking poverty shit.

Or the state... they're hiring tons, too. But their so unrealistic, it's no wonder there's always tons of jobs. A lot of the jobs that are constantly open (such a probation officer jobs) want you to have a bachelor's degree (or a master's degree in some cases) but only want to pay you like... $15-$17 hrly. Like... seriously? Why would someone apply for those jobs, unless they were fucking desperate??? My job starts at $21 hrly and doesn't require a degree.

Silliness.

So. Yeah. The job search is painful.

Anyway. I'm off to have a lie about on the couch. I should be going to bed, but I'm not tired and to go and lie in bed and then just thrash around doesn't help anything. I'll lie about on the couch and find something to put me to sleep on tv.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Natalie was the big mandatory overtime winner this morning. Winner winner chicken dinner! 🐓

Of course, Rita said that this morning's vacancy was on the schedule from Thursday... and they waited until 730p tonight to start calling to try to fill the vacancy... basically just outright fucking 3rd shift because why wouldn't ya? And there is a very real possibility that there will be mandatory overtime every day this week. So. Yay.

Billy's off the schedule. I kinda figured. He was on the schedule when I left on Thursday morning, but they took him off the schedule for another week later that morning. I guess he's getting paid now for staying home since the agency is taking so fucking long to sort things out. I asked Ruby (his sister) if there was a time line... and she said that there should be resolution, one way or the other, by the end of the week.

We'll see.

Malachi called in sick. Or maybe he took a vacation day. I'm not entirely sure. Not that it really matters. He wasn't there. He's calling off to avoid overtime. And/or possibly burning sick leave before quitting. It's honestly hard to say.

Last week, I got my evaluation and it was about what it's always been... minus last year's shit show of an eval. Last year, I got the least amount of points a person can get on their eval... at the time, Kelly (lead supervisor on 3rd shift) said that the score was at the bottom because Ding Dong Bitch had demanded it to be so. Which... I didn't doubt. I mean... that's the kind of petty shit she pulled, after all.

But Kelly also has a habit of being shady as shit. So... I was curious to see this year's eval. Though I'd forgotten all about it (it means nothing... I topped out, raise wise, about 14 yrs ago, soooooo...) and don't think much about it. I was just wondering what Kelly would do... because, you see, she has nobody to blame a low score on now, right? Right.

So. Color me unsurprised by the sudden uptick in my score. As I said, I don't care. Shit doesn't mean a damn thing to me. In fact, I laughed last year at my lowest of the low score. Because... it was ridiculous, so why not laugh? I think it was meant to hurt my feelings or something. I guess. I'd have to give a fuck for that to be the case, though, soooo...

There weren't any jobs to apply for this week. Le sigh. That's a two week drought. Oh well...

I used my new razor (well, the new style handle that'd I'd accidently bought blades for before I owned it) and shaved the fur off last night. I should probably do that more often, but as I'm sure I mentioned before I dislike shaving. I also dislike fur... it's one of those kinda things. Like a catch-22 of sorts.

Speaking of hair... I was bouncing around the TikTok the other day, just killing some time and happened across a video of a head of hair teeming... teeming... fucking teeming with lice. Oh. My. Fucking. God. That was one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen in my entire life. I'm so not kidding.
🤢🤮

And no... I've never seen lice before. I'm already grossed the fuck out by hair, I don't go looking for people cooties. It was mortifying. Cooties crawling about in waves... good god almighty, how does one let themselves (this seemed to an adult) get so fucking infested with critters??? Cuz... Imma tell ya, first sight of a cootie on my head, that shit's getting shaved clean like Mr. Fucking Clean. Bald as fucking cue ball. No fucking cooties are taking up residence here.

Then I had to tell Kelly what I saw and let her know that my reaction to any infestation I happen across at work was going to be met with seriously fucking inappropriateness and may contain one or more of the following; gagging/retching/vomiting, screeching out things like OMG, fucking gross, you got cooties!, etc and flailing and flapping uncontrollably. Because I'm not really sure which one of those things will happen and I highly suspect that it'd probably be all of them.

War doesn't do people critters. Nope.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
These days I'm working in a small doctor's office (optometry, specifically) -- just six people, and I love it. ISTJ supervisor, ESTP tech, ENTP optician, INTJ doctor, and ENFJ office manager (she's not around much, though; we're not her only office.) The sixth "person" is our office cat, Tia.

Yes, office cat. She shows up at 8:00 each morning and leaves at 5:00, just like the rest of us. Don't ask me what she does the rest of the time... lord knows. The ENTP really wants to put a Go-Pro on her, but the ISTJ won't let him.

Being the other INXJ office means that I get the fun job of translating my doctor's shenanigans and quirks to my other coworkers, because they have no clue what's going on with her. She's definitely a hot mess. If you walk into her office, you're very likely to find her sprawled on the floor in her bathrobe. She has a bathrobe, full shower, and... avocado oil... for some reason? Like, a lot of avocado oil. I guess she eats a bunch of salad up there? Le shrug.

She once greeted a new patient by pulling her mask down and saying, "This is what your doctor looks like: curly hair, a bit of a mess, a little sexy." He was a new patient, and she's a lesbian. I just -- I ju-- I dunno, man.

Last time I saw her, she was pacing frantically with her giant tablet and then she locks eyes on me like she was a trainer wanting to fight me in a goddamn Pokémon game.

"Ah, yes, you're a Millennial," she says, plopping her tablet in front of me. "I need you to assist me in getting this extremely elusive breakfast place to deliver food to me, somehow."

[proceeds to explain this very specific plight she's gotten herself into by overpromising on a favor for someone and lays out some really complicated time-sensitive dilemma that she wants me to help her solve, like, now -- this is not the first time she's done this to me, by the way]

[proceeds to spend the next ten minutes asking me the specific logistics of this one local food delivery service, why it is that certain restaurants only use this one company "What could possibly be the benefit of that? What is the reasoning behind it?" And I very, very badly just want an exit button]

After explaining how these companies work, she asks me how I know any of this stuff, I tell her that I used to date someone who worked for one of the companies.

"How is it that you have this... repertoire of people you've dated with all of these eclectic experiences and connections?"

ENTP from across the room chimes in: "She's only dated all the county and half of the next one over."

INTJ [looking mortified:] "I wasn't implying that you get around, I was only pointing out that you have... interesting taste and evidently some efficacy in finding people who fit that taste."

Me: "Eh, [ENTP] is sort of right. [ESTP and ISTJ] want to make a spreadsheet for my exes. I told them that it'd be an Ex-cel spreadsheet."

[INTJ proceeds to laugh so hard that she snorts. The ISTJ, who has already heard this pun once and didn't care for it the first time, thuds her head onto her desk and groans]

Yep, that's what my life looks like, now. Gotta say, I'm enjoying it. 😆

Reactions: warweasel

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Just a couple of things about firearms, safety, defensive shooting, civilian carry, etc.

This happened in Colorado.

'Hero' who fatally shot gunman later killed by responding police officer

A guy that didn't like cops decided he'd go out and see how many he could kill. As it turns out, due to an armed civilian, the shooter's body count was only one. (One of the cops that was looking for him.)

Unfortunately, the civilian who took out the active shooter was then shot and killed by responding officers. Apparently, he was holding the active shooter's assault style rifle when more police arrived on the scene and was mistaken for the bad guy, causing the police to fatally shoot him.

So. Ok. Honestly, I think this should be common sense, but... common sense is not so common these days, as they say. If you are a legal civilian shooter in a situation, once the situation is over... make sure you have NO (including your own) firearms in your hands. The responding officers have no idea who the shooter bad guy is or is not.

This video is a law enforcement video where a responding officers is forced to shoot a man coming at her with a screwdriver and two knives. (Trigger warning for shooting)

This illustrates why it's not always feasible to use tasers and why police aim for center mass. It also demonstrates how quickly someone charging at you can negate the reactionary gap.

Honestly, I think this officer should've shot this guy sooner. 1) He had already stabbed someone else. 2) He is not responding, at all, to any verbal commands. 3) He is steadily advancing on the officer.

I think the officer showed great restraint in waiting until he lunged at her... however, he closed the gap very quickly and when there was a malfunction with her firearm, she was very suddenly in a position where things could've gone terribly terribly wrong. She did manage to stay safe despite the situation, mostly because the bad guy actually hit her gun and fixed the weapon malfunction. (She does later tap/rack, but she didn't have time for that when he was on top of her)

The "reactionary gap", if you don't know, is the distance that should be maintained between you and the bad guy. If the bad guy is (visibly) unarmed that gap should be around 9 ft. Obviously if the person is armed in some way, you want to make that gap larger.

The purpose of the gap is for the good guy to be able to 1) perceive a threat 2) analyze the threat 3) formulate a plan and then 4) initialize the plan. In other words to see, understand and be able to react to the threat.

I have no criticisms of this officer. As I said, I think I would've fired sooner than she did, but maybe I wouldn't have. It's hard to say unless you're in the situation. Overall, she reacted well. She did not panic at any point in time, even after he closed the gap on her after the weapon malfunction.

Shootings don't play out in real life like they do on tv. How many rounds did it take to put this guy on the ground? He was hit multiple times and kept coming. It's not a one shot drop like on tv or in the movies, kids.

37621 - 37640 of 37685 Posts