Personality Cafe banner

11801 - 11820 of 37155 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Our baby girl came home today. :proud: Which is amazing, and if you're from England like me today is Mother's Day, and my baby is exactly 12 weeks old today so we've waited so long for this. This is the best mother's day present that I could wish for, my little family all under the same roof together, finally.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts

·
MOTM October 2013
6,423 Posts
Our baby girl came home today. :proud: Which is amazing, and if you're from England like me today is Mother's Day, and my baby is exactly 12 weeks old today so we've waited so long for this. This is the best mother's day present that I could wish for, my little family all under the same roof together, finally.
So I had a strange (one might say random?) thought..and I hope this isn't intrusive me asking...

If a baby is born premature, do you consider their birthdate that premature date, or their real due date? As a baby born 1-2 months early is not going to be on the same developmental scale at "three months of age" as a baby born on their regular due date..while I doubt it makes a difference once that first year or two is up, t'was a thought...again, my apologies if this was out of line. Congratulations on her homecoming!

·
Registered
396 Posts
There doesn't seem to be a "good thoughts" venting thread, unless this thread serves as such. If so I retract my statement.

I finally took my own advice, stopped asking questions here to understand a girl, and got up the nerve to tell her how not hearing back from her makes me feel. It was a great success. Now I can actually give confrontation advice with first hand experience.

I did do a bit of study on Biblical/Christian ways to confront someone

• Define the problem and stick to the issue.
• apologize for anything you may have done to cause the problem
• tell them how it made as in "this made me feel" instead of blaming them by saying "you made me feel".

There was more advice, such as figuring out a time to talk about the issue, but since this was an email to a long distance friend I could not meet up with her.

Spoiler with the rest of the list.

Define the problem and stick to the issue. Clearly define the issue and stay on topic during the discussion. Conflict deteriorates when the issue that started the conflict gets lost in angry words, past issues, or hurts tossed into the mix.

Pursue purity of heart. "Take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye" (Matt. 7:5 NASB). Before approaching others regarding their faults and shortcomings, prayerfully face up to your own. Confess any way you might have contributed to the problem.

Plan a time for the discussion. Plan a time to meet with the other person when you are both rested and likely to respond in love to the other person's concerns. When you are tired, stressed, and distracted with other responsibilities, things rarely will go well.

Affirm the Relationship. Affirm the relationship before clearly defining the problem. For example, "Our relationship is important to me. But when you don't return my calls, I feel rejected and unimportant." Avoid blaming the other person and saying, "You make me feel…" Instead, say, "When you do 'A', I feel 'B'."1

By applying these practical tips and tools for resolving conflict to your relationships, you can turn obstacles into opportunities to demonstrate the love and power of the gospel. What's more, you will know the deep, abiding joy that comes through obedience to God's Word.

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God" (Matthew 5:9).

Listen carefully. Once you share your feelings, listen to the other person's perspective. Lean in; be present. "One of the most powerful communication techniques I know is to listen well," points out Sande. Make sure your body language conveys that you are open to the other's perspective. Reflect back to the individual what you believe you have heard. For example, "I heard you say that you feel expectations from me. Is that correct?"

Forgive. Forgive others as Christ has forgiven you. "Forgiveness is both an event and a process," Sande says. He suggests you make forgiveness concrete with four promises:
I promise I won't bring this up and use it against you in the future.
I promise I'm not going to dwell on it in my own heart and mind.
I'm not going to talk to other people about it.
I'm not going to let it stand between us or hinder our personal relationship.

Propose a solution. Remember the relationship is more important than the issue. When working toward a solution, consider Philippians 2:4-5: "Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus." Seek solutions that keep everyone's best interests in mind.

SOURCE LINK

E

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
The Earth is crazy. There were reports of a red-brown dust on cars here after it rained and the weather people reckon it's from the Sahara desert. We're getting dust from Africa in Ireland. That's so cool.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Was just thinking how we destroy our young people with talent. People who are beautiful, who can sing, act, dance, etc. Who have dreams of what they want to grow up to be. Some do achieve those dreams, and are quite happy with where they are. However, the price many have to pay for a shot at their dream is their dignity. “You’re too fat; we can’t see your bones,” “If you want to be famous you have to be a sex symbol,” ”Oh, and once you start getting wrinkles we’re done with you.”

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Was just thinking how we destroy our young people with talent. People who are beautiful, who can sing, act, dance, etc. Who have dreams of what they want to grow up to be. Some do achieve those dreams, and are quite happy with where they are. However, the price many have to pay for a shot at their dream is their dignity. “You’re too fat; we can’t see your bones,” “If you want to be famous you have to be a sex symbol,” ”Oh, and once you start getting wrinkles we’re done with you.”
True, I also think part of it is due to culture and how we coddle children too much so they longer feel the need to excel and improve at what they're already naturally talented.

As a child, what's the motivation for getting better if your ego is going to get stroked regardless?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Aw, Jay. It's the Judger in me that gets burnt out on trying to understand those with the Perceiving preference. No offense intended!
None taken, really. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
As a child, what's the motivation for getting better if your ego is going to get stroked regardless?
This reminds me of an article I read The Power (and Peril) of Praising Your Kids -- New York Magazine. In short it discusses how praising children on something innate--in this case intelligence--can make them more afraid of trying, because they fear if they fail at an intellectual task it means they are not smart. However, praising a child on hard work eliminates some fear of failure, because the praise they received still stands if they failed as long as they worked hard.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
So I had a strange (one might say random?) thought..and I hope this isn't intrusive me asking...

If a baby is born premature, do you consider their birthdate that premature date, or their real due date? As a baby born 1-2 months early is not going to be on the same developmental scale at "three months of age" as a baby born on their regular due date..while I doubt it makes a difference once that first year or two is up, t'was a thought...again, my apologies if this was out of line. Congratulations on her homecoming!
That's ok, I don't mind you asking :happy: You consider their birthday as their birthday, but they have their normal age and what is considered a 'corrected age' which is how old they would have been if born on their due date. For example, Aurelia is 12 weeks old today, but her due date was the 21st of this month, so she is considered 12 weeks old, but can be considered a corrected age of 9 days old. It's just to allow the premature babies some leeway in case they are a little bit behind being as though until their due date they are developing things they would have been developing in the womb. I hope that was helpful :happy:

Thanks for the congratulations, I couldn't be happier. :crazy:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welp it looks like I'm jumping in the middle of a very big, very long conversation. Oh well!
I've been having weird love life troubles lately :p first year of college and all that. First semester I sort of wanted to end it with my long term from high school, to get the "college experience" kind of thing. But then we talked more and were able to see each other more so we were better. But now it's second semester and I'm actually pretty attracted to someone at college, and while I would never do anything while in a relationship (unless it was a poly relationship), I still flirt a lot and he actually seems to be pretty interested too. Which makes for a very complicated situation. Because on one hand I love my current boyfriend and he's very sweet and caring, but this other guy is really chill and funny and also pretty sweet, and basically I'm super confused about my whole life, because of this and because I am not enjoying college as much as I thought I would, and I'm constantly skipping classes because I just never have the energy or motivation to go, and I'm scared that I'm gonna fail and not be able to do what I want in life, but I just wish I could get there without having to go to class haha.
So that's my random thought for the day...

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
You're so jealous of my ending that you took credit for it. :tongue:
It's not jealousy so much as the ability to retrace your path and come to a logicl conclussion as to why you received the outcome that you did. Now, we could obviously chalk this ending up to your superior gaming skills but we don't want you to go getting all fat headed about it and truly, if you'd not have been so paranoid, there is a high probability that you'd have done much more poorly.

So... I think... co-credit for your ending isn't asking too much. :laughing:

~~~

Ugh. Tired. The sleeping bit didn't go as well as planned or as well as needed. Think I'll need to do a bit more of that here in a bit or it's going to be a long night.

It was too hot in my room and I had that headache thing going on and it combined to make me quite restless... and hot, lol. I even turned the big fan up to the medium speed, which is pretty strong. (High speed is launch the space shuttle type air movement!) Didn't really help... just sounded like I was sleeping inside a small single engine prop plane, really. Which wasn't all together helpful in the sleeping business or headache business, truth be told.

I did fall alseep, finally. Just before it was time to get up. Of course. :dry:

Want to be semi concious at work, at least. And I'll have course work to do this evening as well. Ugh. Brain must be engaged.

'Twas a lovely day out, by all accounts. I toss 'n turned and slept through it, of course. Not sure why it couldn't have been yesterday that was nice and today that was cool. That'd have worked out so much better for me. All next week is supposed to be cool and rainy. We really need the rain, though, so I'll not complain about that. Better than snow... blizzard warnings up north. Better them than me. Fuck all that snow nonsense.

So. I guess I'll see what's shaking here and there and then get on with my nap.

·
Banned
1,742 Posts
*siiiiiiiiiiiiigh* It's time to take things to another level...so much discipline, sacrifice, and humility to get a place of comfort. Being comfortable feels good, but it's time to turn the engine on, get some distance, and reach my goal.

It's attainable now. I can see the shore now. It's time to stop dciking around from the joy in the sight of land and focus on getting there and docking up.

I can do this. It's time I do this....It was nice knowing you comfort. Till we see each other again...

11801 - 11820 of 37155 Posts