Personality Cafe banner

18021 - 18040 of 37083 Posts

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Hey you. Visiting the old stomping grounds?
Something like that. Or I'm just desperate to fill the void caused by my complete lack of all interpersonal contact and this seemed like as good of a place as any to start.

The stomping grounds thing sounds nicer though. :unsure:

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Something like that. Or I'm just desperate to fill the void caused by my complete lack of all interpersonal contact and this seemed like as good of a place as any to start.

The stomping grounds thing sounds nicer though. :unsure:
Well... sorry to hear that. But, welcome back and you know we're always around over here. Me and @Jebediah, at least. Well, others too... but you know, those of the old lot from a couple summers back. The rest seem to have scattered to the wind.

·
SAY MY NAME
8,466 Posts
I've had such a good day, I don't even mind that my parents are coming back in the morning after a thoroughly enjoyable month of having the crib to myself. :happy:

I'll miss the freedom in about five minutes, however, so it's really time to find a job and get some money together so I can move out.

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
@warweasel Remember we talked about the seasons "shifting". Yesterday a part of Antarctica was warmer than Boston. :laughing:
That actually doesn't surprise me. Wouldn't surprise me if Boston had more snow this year, either.

It's interesting, honestly. The weather has changed. I remember it snowing a lot when I was a kid... but it wasn't unbearably cold. Cold, but not to the point of ridiculousness. Now, it seems like it barely snows and it's fuck all cold. I think it snowed maybe x2 this year? And what we got when it did snow was negligable, really. 3", 4"... something like that.

And it seems like the seasons have shifted. It's colder longer... last year, it didn't stop snowing until May. That's like... almost summer time around these parts.

It'll be interesting to see how much more it changes before I get on outta here for good.

~~~

Perfectly boring night last night and I was ok with that. Didn't really do much of anything important. Put in some leave slips, but that was the extent of the excitement, I'm afraid. I talked to Sam last week... I'll be moving back to my old post again... 5 days a week. I'm not sure how I feel about that, really. It was nice to be "free"... but then... it'll be nice to go back. Wen I'm back there, I'm pretty free from the rest of the facility. I don't do that heavy load work, ever. I don't respond to anything, ever. I just sit back there, all by myself (well... with inmates, obviously) and chill.

I figured such would be case as Natalie pissed and moaned about being back there. I seem to be the only person who doesn't mind being locked up back there. That being said, I'm quite tired of Natalie's pissing and moaning about everything. Seriously. All she does is complain and cry about shit. And bitch until supervisors give in and do whatever nonsense she wants. It's tiresome, really.

I do like her, generally speaking. But... generally speaking, if I didn't work there I'd not ever bother speaking to her again. Not because of the bitching... but because we're not anywhere close to being at the same intellectual level. We went out to lunch once (not a date or anything, we both just wanted to try the same new place in town and decided to do it together.) What that experience made perfectly clear to me was that if it wasn't work or pets? We had nothing to talk about. She can't carry on any other sort of conversation, really. And it was a pretty crappy lunch because of that. We didn't really talk much and the new place sucked. (It has since gone outta business)

So, yeah.

Todd got stuck with some mandatory overtime this morning. So glad that my name is at that bottom of that particular list. It won't likely stay there long as much MOT that's happening right now... but it's there for the moment. Well... technically, Todd is now the bottom of the list... so I'm one person closer to that nonsense yet again.

It's bullshit, really, but what're ya gonna do? Not like they're going to hire any more people or anything. :dry:

Alright... quite tired now. Got in the season finale of TWD (rather disappointing, I thought) and all that good stuff. Time to go to sleep and hopefully not dream of rotting corpses trying to get me. (I never have... but, you know... doesn't mean I won't.)

·
Registered
907 Posts
I'm starting to think that I'm not so sure anymore whether I'm an INFJ or INTJ. I keep getting INTJ results when I test, and to be honest, INTJ was the type I thought I was to begin with, about five years ago. I'm very analytical. Very very analytical. But that goes for INFJs as well. The only thing that makes me feel a little estranged is when all of you INFJs write about your feels and empathies for people in small scale. Yet, I don't have issues showing emotion. Still, regarding Ti and Te, I feel like Ti is the stronger one. Why and how, rather than stating the obvious. Fe and Ti resonates more with me than Te and Fi. Is it possible that an INFJ have a very strong Ti, even though it is tertiary? Also, I read about how age plays a role in which function one is developing, and how the infant to puberty works on the primary, while puberty till around the thirties focus on the secondary. Could one have sped that up for some reason and hit the tertiary way earlier than usual?

If only Fe and Ti would switch places in the makeup, that would suit me perfect.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Ah! I'm seeing a pattern between my cognitive functions and being a programmer!

Ni is my deposit of ideas and possibilities, while Ti is the structurer of these which helps build this strucutre called code. When I'm in my programmer flow, Ni-Ti is on fire and is emotionless, introverted heavily.

However, Fe is still there. At least when I'm not on the building of the code, I seek for inspiration and meaning for the application I write, I seek to hear my team members' opinions, also care for the application being pretty and user friendly, to be liked and all.

The problem I have is with over technicalities and remembering syntax and formal definitions. Ni is a collection of intuitive knowing, which are pieces that are dessembled inside. I often can think of solutions right away but need to remember the syntax I need to write.

·
Banned
4,274 Posts
I always think... what if I am actually in a coma. And when I am using the pot, what if I am really in a hospital bed, with a catheter and poop bag. And my family is watchin me have a bowel, while laying there...?

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Sorry, I was at this nice resort and lost track of time. Pina coladas can do that do you.

:tongue:
Hope you brought enough for the whole class? :tongue:

~~~

Slept well, but kept waking up, too. (Which seems counter productive to sleeping well, but... it wasn't really. *shrugs*) Dreamt any manner of things, but damned if I can remember what. A thunderstorm once... I was out in the woods during a thunderstorm. But... it was all good. I'd sheltered up, so I was cool. No idea what I was doing out in the woods. (A lot of woods in TWD recently, though, so perhaps I was dreaming of zombies, but just don't remember them. I dunno...)

I think I ate too much. Trout. They were delicious. Fried and soaked in lemon, they were. Heads still on... looking at me through blown out eyeballs whilst I ate them. A little morbid, I suppose. Don't care. They were yummy.

Used to creep me out when I was kid... trying to eat them with their heads on. Doesn't bother me anymore. They're dead, what the fuck do they care? They don't. I don't either.

I remember my friend Kate & I going out for our birthdays several years ago... our friend Dylan tagged along. (He actually ended up buying our meals, which was rather sporting of him.) We went to a local fish place. Dylan and I had whole catfish and Kate had carp "fingers" (ribs)... and Dylan and I decided to have crawdads as an appetizer... cuz... yum.

And that was well and good, but Kate couldn't stand to look at them. All boiled up and in a heap... all those beady, stalky little eyes looking at her... she had to keep covering them up with a napkin, cuz they were staring at her. :laughing: Dylan and I found this exceptionally entertaining.

The last time I went to that fish place, they no longer served crawdads. :unsure: Bummer. Cuz they're yummy.

So this pilot that flew the plane into the French Alps... depressive with suicidal tendancies. For years. Outstanding. :dry: Me thinks there should be more transparency in such situations for those who hold the lives of so many others in their hands... health care professionals dealing with people in those occupations must become mandatory reporters. If someone like this lad is suicidal, you don't leave it for him to report... you must do it.

Is that encrouching on someone's privacy? Yes. And if you want that job, you should accept that's the way it's going to be, period. You may have a right to your privacy, but others have the right to live their lives and not be murdered by you flying a plane into the ground.

I understand this issues of privacy. At work, my privacy can be violated at any time. My locker can be searched, my belongings can be searched, my person can be searched and my vehicle can be searched. (I can also be drug tested at any time, for any reason or no reason at all.) Does this suck? Yeah, a bit. It would suck even more if I had something to hide, but... it is a part of the job and everyone is made well aware of that when they sign on.

It should be the same for pilots.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Hope you brought enough for the whole class? :tongue:
Send me to the naughty corner. :unsure:

So this pilot that flew the plane into the French Alps... depressive with suicidal tendancies. For years. Outstanding. :dry: Me thinks there should be more transparency in such situations for those who hold the lives of so many others in their hands... health care professionals dealing with people in those occupations must become mandatory reporters. If someone like this lad is suicidal, you don't leave it for him to report... you must do it.

Is that encrouching on someone's privacy? Yes. And if you want that job, you should accept that's the way it's going to be, period. You may have a right to your privacy, but others have the right to live their lives and not be murdered by you flying a plane into the ground.

I understand this issues of privacy. At work, my privacy can be violated at any time. My locker can be searched, my belongings can be searched, my person can be searched and my vehicle can be searched. (I can also be drug tested at any time, for any reason or no reason at all.) Does this suck? Yeah, a bit. It would suck even more if I had something to hide, but... it is a part of the job and everyone is made well aware of that when they sign on.

It should be the same for pilots.
I agree but the thing is, therapists can't always tell, especially if they're bad ones and there are plenty of those out there. I mean, I was seeing someone for a pretty good while leading up to my first incident and they didn't know I was suicidal. They knew I was depressed but I mean, they can't read minds, you know? It would be nice if they could though.

I'm also not sure how it would work. Like, so a shrink thinks a pilot wants to off themselves. Great, but unless the dude says that, can the therapist really assume it? And can he then notify the airliner or whoever that they shouldn't let said pilot fly a plane based off of an assumption? I mean, I think the therapist should be able to. It's clearly not worth the risk. But regulations can't really operate under assumptions, right? I'd imagine any new laws that were put into place for situations like this would have to be very specific as to under what circumstances patient confidentiality can be violated and they'd likely settle on a pilot or some other member of the work force such as that having to verbalize that they are in fact suicidal in order for any action to be taken. I mean, I'm just guessing but I'm not exactly wowed by how well our country handles stuff like this.

They may just forgo that whole mess and flat out say that anyone with depression or any other mental illness just can't be a pilot but that wouldn't be great either. I mean, I'm sure there are plenty of pilots or the like that suffer from depression and still manage to function in the workplace at least enough so that they don't murder 150 people. It would be wrong to ruin those people's careers because of one or two bad apples, or at least in my opinion.

I'm also not buying that all this dude had was that. Depression doesn't make you violent towards other people, it makes you violent towards yourself. So honestly, that's not the greatest explanation for his actions. I think it's much more likely he was suffering from some sort of psychosis too, at least at the time of the incident. That would be more understandable but just depression? Not really buying it, though I guess anything is possible.

I ramble a lot. Have you noticed? :tongue:

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Send me to the naughty corner. :unsure:

I agree but the thing is, therapists can't always tell, especially if they're bad ones and there are plenty of those out there. I mean, I was seeing someone for a pretty good while leading up to my first incident and they didn't know I was suicidal. They knew I was depressed but I mean, they can't read minds, you know? It would be nice if they could though.

I'm also not sure how it would work. Like, so a shrink thinks a pilot wants to off themselves. Great, but unless the dude says that, can the therapist really assume it? And can he then notify the airliner or whoever that they shouldn't let said pilot fly a plane based off of an assumption? I mean, I think he should be able to. It's clearly not worth the risk. But regulations can't really operate under assumptions, right? I'd imagine any new laws that were put into place for situations like this would have to be very specific as to under what circumstances patient confidentiality can be violated and they'd likely settle on a pilot or some other member of the work force such as that having to verbalize that they are in fact suicidal in order for any action to be taken. I mean, I'm just guessing but I'm not exactly wowed by how well our country handles stuff like this.

They may just forgo that whole mess and flat out say that anyone with depression or any other mental illness just can't be a pilot but that wouldn't be great either. I mean, I'm sure there are plenty of pilots or the like that suffer from depression and still manage to function in the workplace at least enough so that they don't murder 150 people. It would be wrong to ruin those people's careers because of one or two bad apples, or at least in my opinion.

I'm also not buying that all this dude had was that. Depression doesn't make you violent towards other people, it makes you violent towards yourself. So honestly, that's not the greatest explanation for his actions. I think it's much more likely he was suffering from some sort of psychosis too, at least at the time of the incident. That would be more understandable but just depression? Not really buying it, though I guess anything is possible.

I ramble a lot. Have you noticed? :tongue:
Agreed. It'd not be an easy task... but it seems in this guy's case at least, that the docs knew. He had a note from them saying he was unfit to fly. It's been reported that they found that torn up in the guy's apartment. What if the doc not only had written a note, but also reported to his employer that, you know... this guy ought not to be in control of the lives of others right now?

I think if there had been a requirement to report, that he doesn't get on the plane and fly it into the ground.

You're right though, it would not be a perfect system. But I think that mandated reporting has got to be better than self reporting. If that's your job and your income, how likely are you to self report? I'm guessing... not very.

And... I've run outta time. Off to work. Yippee skippy. :dry:

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Agreed. It'd not be an easy task... but it seems in this guy's case at least, that the docs knew. He had a note from them saying he was unfit to fly. It's been reported that they found that torn up in the guy's apartment. What if the doc not only had written a note, but also reported to his employer that, you know... this guy ought not to be in control of the lives of others right now?

I think if there had been a requirement to report, that he doesn't get on the plane and fly it into the ground.

You're right though, it would not be a perfect system. But I think that mandated reporting has got to be better than self reporting. If that's your job and your income, how likely are you to self report? I'm guessing... not very.
I guess no system is ever gonna be perfect but some system would be better than no system at all. I reeeally hope they don't go the ban all mentally ill people route though. It sucks enough that we have to deal with tons of stigma. Laws ruling us out of a good number of careers would be some pretty shitty icing on that cake.

I hate icing. :dry:

And... I've run outta time. Off to work. Yippee skippy. :dry:
Have fun. :unsure:

18021 - 18040 of 37083 Posts