Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Admittedly I've taken the test over an over and have always noticed that my N is barely outweighing the S factor of my personality. I notice this struggle in my daily life manifesting itself as an unusually difficult time making a decision about something or someone. It would make sense to me to cultivate my Intuitive side to help create a more defined N. Does anyone else notice anything similar with their Intuitive side fighting with their Sensing side? Anyone care to share insights or thoughts?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Admittedly I've taken the test over an over and have always noticed that my N is barely outweighing the S factor of my personality. I notice this struggle in my daily life manifesting itself as an unusually difficult time making a decision about something or someone. It would make sense to me to cultivate my Intuitive side to help create a more defined N. Does anyone else notice anything similar with their Intuitive side fighting with their Sensing side? Anyone care to share insights or thoughts?
Forgive me, as I am be incorrect; But, I had the understanding that we are "more balanced" as a person... the closer we get to the middle. that 50/50 thing. (I'll have to look it up to make sure) I'll be back after I check it out.

·
Registered
442 Posts
In general it is the Perceiver types who prefer to leave options open and not come to a final decision. Judgers prefer to reach a decision instead of having something hang over their heads.

The best way to develop Ni that I've found, is to start listening to those "flashes" you get more. Pay attention to when they happen and how they turn out to figure out if it's true intuition or the mind jabbering instead. My experience is that intuition generally registers first, but then the mind tries and rationalize what it comes up with - and that's where I get into trouble, myself.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forgive me, as I am be incorrect; But, I had the understanding that we are "more balanced" as a person... the closer we get to the middle. that 50/50 thing. (I'll have to look it up to make sure) I'll be back after I check it out.
Balanced yes. But...this balance causes me struggle. If I were one or the other more strongly it would make sorting out things much easier I'd imagine. It's hard to explain....perhaps it never has had much to do with Intuition or with Sensing. Maybe it's the Feeling side of things causing this friction - I can easily view decisions from both angles and by doing so it makes taking a side difficult. Perhaps I should have posed the question about decision making being an issue with INFJs. I'd find it hard to believe that the majority of INFJs don't have the same problem.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Maybe it's the Feeling side of things causing this friction - I can easily view decisions from both angles and by doing so it makes taking a side difficult. Perhaps I should have posed the question about decision making being an issue with INFJs. I'd find it hard to believe that the majority of INFJs don't have the same problem.
It's a common INFJ trait to see things from both sides/be the devil's advocate, so I follow you there. :happy:

Putting too much emphasis on not "hurting" others will drive me into a stalemate at times, with regards to decision-making. One could argue that this is due to our auxiliary function (Fe) overriding our primary function (Ni). How I generally work past it is to see the deeper truth in the situation - namely, what is truly best for all parties involved, not what is least uncomfortable.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Admittedly I've taken the test over an over and have always noticed that my N is barely outweighing the S factor of my personality. . It would make sense to me to cultivate my Intuitive side to help create a more defined N. Does anyone else notice anything similar with their Intuitive side fighting with their Sensing side?
Yes, I have the same problem. My N and S were quite close when I first took the test. I look forward to any advice others will give regarding strengthening my Ni. I have wondered if it has something to do with poorly developed Fe, in other words not paying attention to my feelings or not knowing what they really are.

·
Registered
440 Posts
N definately tells you like in 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.........0001 second whether what's going on is shit or not
and when such immediate automatic effortless realisation take place
then i use S to figure out how to +get out of such situation

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
The N/S conflict manifest in another way imho. In me it is the push-pull between wanting to spend my time learning, reading, thinking, and zoning out and the need to do things that benefit only my physical upkeep like going shopping to purchase new clothing, which I really dislike doing, getting groceries, getting my car repaired, cooking which I consider it a waste of time, and stuff like that. My ISFJ and ESFJ mother and grandmother seem to live to do these kinds of things and really enjoy them, while I feel that doing these things often distracts me from more interesting thing like thinking about stuff. I also feel that if I do things without spending a lot of time thinking beforehand, that I will make wrong choice and as a result spend a lot of energy in the wrong direction. From this comes indecisiveness.

The MBTI test is a very crude measure of how much of each cognitive function you use. And it can be influenced by whatever state of mind you were in when you took the test. I think observing yourself from aside and seeing what you like to do most of your time is a much better measure of it. For example, I excelled in school in subjects that required me to operate with concepts and hated those that had me memorizing detail. I am not very attentive to people's appearances and have dated short ugly nerdy guys who were really intellectually stimulating to me (my sensor mother always complained about them primarily telling me that I should pick taller cuter looking guys). So it was clear to me that I am very strong in intuitive cognitive function and quite weak on the sensor part. On MBTI test I tested only 10 or 20% N however, which was wrong.

In the end I think it is best to have a balance. While I enjoy my N, if given complete freedom it will make me incredibly lazy in certain areas of my life. Sometimes for example I forget to eat when I am learning about something very interesting, which is not good for my health.

I think what you are trying to do is perhaps extravert your intuition rather than suppress it in favor of S. ENxPs for example go around life doing a lot of stuff, even though they also have intuition as primary function. This is because their extraverted intuition shows them many different opportunities and instills optimism into them. We can sit around and think for a long long time about stuff while they just jump up and and do something. Albeit they also lose out because they don't think things through as thoroughly as we do. So if you want to behave more like them, instead of focusing on what you already know and examining and reexamining the evidence, think about the future, what can you do with what you know, focus on creating future possibilities. You'll have to just force yourself to pick best decision you have made up to date, suppress your worries about making wrong choice, and then move on to something new. Just like ENxPs do it. Our basic instinctive drive is to sit there and contemplate for as long as we can, but life isn't infinite and sometimes we just have to settle for "good enough" decision and forcibly push ourselves in one direction or another.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Balanced yes. But...this balance causes me struggle. If I were one or the other more strongly it would make sorting out things much easier I'd imagine. It's hard to explain....perhaps it never has had much to do with Intuition or with Sensing. Maybe it's the Feeling side of things causing this friction - I can easily view decisions from both angles and by doing so it makes taking a side difficult. Perhaps I should have posed the question about decision making being an issue with INFJs. I'd find it hard to believe that the majority of INFJs don't have the same problem.
Okay, yes... I understand and actually was talking to my own hubby about this the other night. (Not a sensing-intuition thing at all. It is a F thing. ) Some decisions seem so easy for me to make, others are quite difficult when "seeing and understanding both sides of the issue" because both can be right and valid, depending on perspective. (I get this way over religious views, politics, and agruments between people)

Personal decisions are usually easy for me. But, the more difficult ones are answered with time. (Like to change jobs, moving, relationships, those kind of decisions.) Those I know I can't answer right away... time answers these for me.

N - S: would be were my head is focused. Not my decision maker.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts