Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in order to fulfill my need to be a superhero and save everyone, i am going to join the army after high school and try to work my way into special forces. Because of the high expectations for myself, i can't see myself doing anything less of a career than counter terrorism. However, im only 17 and always think of stuff like this. For example, when i walk around school during passing periods i thing of crazy scenarios in my head where there are bad people attacking the school and its up to me to save the day. So, does this sort of need to be a hero ware off as you get older or is it a infj trait that sticks with you. Or does it sort of turn into just being a desire to help people.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
I respect your courage and committment.

I've felt the pull of the army before.... Let me ask you... do you feel like you are a warrior at your core?

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
All my life, I've struggled between my desire to be a warrior and fight to protect others... and my sense of individualism and my desire to be a father and raise a family.

Looks like you went the other way... *sigh*

I'm not going to lie, I feel ashamed a lot that I didn't follow through with my desire to serve.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have the same internal battle. More than anything i want to serve, but i know my responsibility lies with the family i will someday have. Its confusing because you choose between your country and your family

·
Registered
44 Posts
That feeling isn't gonna go away from my experience! I have had many times where I jumped up to say something in defense of someone who was getting made fun of, and I wouldn't have normally said something like that. Stories of people getting hurt who didn't do anything wrong, and especially when they can't even understand why someone is hurting them, such as child abuse make me furious, too. I think most people would agree with that, but I do envision myself coming to their rescue, if even in an impossible, dream circumstance.

I have respect for you that you are going to do that. It makes me feel better knowing there are people out there with like minds that are interested in keeping me, my family and my friends safe.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
The only reason I would be hesitant to join the army is because I have issues with any form of force or fighting that is used to manipulate larger systems or groups of people, aka a country.

maybe just a personal belief here.

I personally would never join the army.
I do fantasize about being a superhero, but mainly enjoy the manipulating powers asspect of it, wanting to breathe fire, or turn invisible.
I don't know how batman lives with himself... gadgets...

See I just couldn't be batman, couldn't be a soldier. I feel I have more skills than that of a utility belt and some guns.

I got my persuasive skills and my stunning good looks. ;)

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I never joined the army because I personally find my own life too valuable to put it at the risk of protecting a group of people I don't know (the majority of which whom don't deserve my sacrifice to begin with)

Besides, I was never a fan of politics (or rather, politicians) and I don't enjoy the thought of having a man I've never met openly send me to my death with nothing more than "For your country"

Nobody gets to control my destiny but me, kthx

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I never joined the army because I personally find my own life too valuable to put it at the risk of protecting a group of people I don't know (the majority of which whom don't deserve my sacrifice to begin with)

Besides, I was never a fan of politics (or rather, politicians) and I don't enjoy the thought of having a man I've never met openly send me to my death with nothing more than "For your country"

Nobody gets to control my destiny but me, kthx
All those americans killed in the 9/11 attacks dont deserve your sacrifice? Is it not possible that there were infjs in those towers who thought their own lives were just as important as you think yours is? You, my friend, do not deserve 'sacrifice. You say your life is valuable, but if you are not willing to sacrifice for others, then it has no value. What more do you need to be sent to your death other than "for your country"? Thats the only reason i need.
Im sure you have some knowlege on the army special forces operations in somalia in 1993. 1.5 million innocent Somalians were starving to death because of the military leader Mohamed Farrah Aidid who took over and used hunger as his source of power. America sent in the army rangers and delta force to capture Aidid's top political advisors in order to try and restore order to the country. Doing so, the soldiers who bravely fought in the battle of mogadishu save the lives of potential hundreds of thousands of people. If i had the chance, i would have gladly fought along side those men. Only then would i claim that i feel my life is valuable.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
All those americans killed in the 9/11 attacks dont deserve your sacrifice? Is it not possible that there were infjs in those towers who thought their own lives were just as important as you think yours is? You, my friend, do not deserve 'sacrifice. You say your life is valuable, but if you are not willing to sacrifice for others, then it has no value. What more do you need to be sent to your death other than "for your country"? Thats the only reason i need.
Im sure you have some knowlege on the army special forces operations in somalia in 1993. 1.5 million innocent Somalians were starving to death because of the military leader Mohamed Farrah Aidid who took over and used hunger as his source of power. America sent in the army rangers and delta force to capture Aidid's top political advisors in order to try and restore order to the country. Doing so, the soldiers who bravely fought in the battle of mogadishu save the lives of potential hundreds of thousands of people. If i had the chance, i would have gladly fought along side those men. Only then would i claim that i feel my life is valuable.
Wasn't my intention to offend (though I knew I would)

All men do is fight. Fight for this, fight for that, fight fight fight. All I want to do is have peace

If I had my choice, I'd have nothing to do with mankind as a whole. I wouldn't even be human. I'm disgusted by my own species-- and keep in mind I'm including myself here too, as no matter how much I abhor people for all the stupid, disgusting, and ignorant things they do, I'm human too, and just as prone to such

Is it too much to ask for a life of solitude or peace? If there were no wars in the world, do you think we'd be having this argument?

Btw, this will definitely sound a bit insensitive, but the death toll for 9/11 does not concern me. And no, it's not just because I'm Canadian. Also, don't care about the 'INFJ count' in the death toll either. People die every day, and being an INFJ doesn't make it any different

I do apologize for my behavior, as it seems you've struck a nerve. I just really dislike the army and the things they do (and not just the US army, I hate militia in general and wish that people could be a little more cooperative with one another instead of resorting to violence and murder over silly things like territory or money)

In your defense, I will say that I have never truly studied how the army works or made any attempts to understand it better. I simply do not like what it seems to represent, and will say no more on the subject

You, my friend, do not deserve 'sacrifice.
You're right, I don't. But that suits me just fine ;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i agree about wanting everyone to just get along. There are just to many evil, corrupt, and ignorant people who cause for their to be a need for war. Like with the american revolutionary war, we didnt want to fight at first, but the ignorant king of england wouldnt let the colonist have their religious freedom and his actions got out of hand. Mankind makes me sick, and its because of the evil men....Whoa, i just had like triple deja vu while typing this, you know, when you have deja vu about something that you know you have had deja vu about before lol . But anyways, i guess thats why the world has infjs. To step in and correct human beings when they become corrupt.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would never EVER join the army. Going to serve and “protect” this country while killing thousands of innocent people in another kinda defeats the purpose, at least that’s my personal opinion. I would much rather join the Peace Core. It sounds brave and all but in the end are we really helping anything?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would never EVER join the army. Going to serve and “protect” this country while killing thousands of innocent people in another kinda defeats the purpose, at least that’s my personal opinion. I would much rather join the Peace Core. It sounds brave and all but in the end are we really helping anything?
terrorists arent innocent, dont listen to the liberals on the news

·
Registered
17 Posts
pretty much Zomboy sumed it up for me.......... all of it. Thanks.

Reactions: Zomboy

·
Registered
17 Posts
yes, terrorist are not innocent but are you really that naïve to believe America is innocent here too? Do you really think we went to war for terrorism? I can debate these issues for hours but it seems it’s pointless really.

I just strongly feel we are accomplishing nothing when going to war. Innocent men, women and children die because someone said “hey lets get the bad guys” especially in a BS war such as Iraq. In the end we really don’t know what going on and it’s sad that the media and government have so much power over manipulating people. For anyone to say its okay kill thousands of people in the name of terrorist, or God, or who ever really need to be locked away. War is an ugly truth.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
we would all like to avoid war. But after the 9/11 attacks, and with suddam hussein who was responsible for killing thousands of middle eastern civilians, are we supposed to just sit at home and let them get away with it because we want peace? Who knows if these were the true motives for going to war, but they were good excuses. Its not like we can say to the taliban, hey that wasnt nice of you to kill our american civilians, please dont do it again. If we did that, they would threaten to do it again unless we agreed to whatever demands they would make. If the us government wants to get oil and whatever else out of the war, thats them, not the soldiers. So just remember, while you and zomboy are at home wishing for world peace and everyone to get along, me and my boys will be out shooting the taliban that are plotting to kill you.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
we would all like to avoid war. But after the 9/11 attacks, and with suddam hussein who was responsible for killing thousands of middle eastern civilians, are we supposed to just sit at home and let them get away with it because we want peace? Who knows if these were the true motives for going to war, but they were good excuses. Its not like we can say to the taliban, hey that wasnt nice of you to kill our american civilians, please dont do it again. If we did that, they would threaten to do it again unless we agreed to whatever demands they would make. If the us government wants to get oil and whatever else out of the war, thats them, not the soldiers. So just remember, while you and zomboy are at home wishing for world peace and everyone to get along, me and my boys will be out shooting the taliban that are plotting to kill you.
I'm with Cali on this one.

Acquiescence to thugs is death by inches. There is a certain necessity for military force... without authority there is anarchy. In a world with anarchy of militaries there is constant warfare and oppertunism. The authority needed to fill this anarchy... to protect the "greater good" has costs... but not costs so great to cause cynicism to forsake the principles that necessitate it.

In the end... we need to fill the anarchy... and hope we keep our forces accountable enough (and view them with critical enough an eye) to ensure we don't become a force for tyranny, but rather a force that protects... protects on principle... not to value one life higher than the other.

The evil of the anarchy that would result is greater than the evil of maintaining our military authority in the world.

·
Retard
16,329 Posts
Terrorism in itself is a sociological phenomenon.People become terrorists because most of these countries in the middle east and elsewhere for that matter,are run by despotic tyrants.Jobs are few,no middle class,,,,Unless one is in the hierarchy,one is powerless.Lets face it,when someone gives you an AK-47,the individual becomes a somebody other's respect.Besides,one man's terrorist,is another man's freedom fighter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts