Personality Cafe banner

INFJ teachers: your strengths and weaknesses (INFJ's preferred)

[INFJ] 
17K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  RoadLessTravelled 
1) Pros of INFJness in teaching?
2) Cons of INFJness in teaching?
3) Tips for other INFJ teachers (type-related or other)?
4) Something else you'd like to ask others?
I was an assistant teacher overseas for a few years. A little bit different than teaching stateside but overall pretty similar :happy:
Taught K-9th graders if that makes any difference.

1) I feel that I was great one on one. We used to do pair work with English dialogue so I often worked with kids who didn't have partners or sometimes if we needed certain number of kids in groups I would fill in for a student. When I had to teach classes by myself, I felt I prepared well and came up with a lot of fun ideas. I don't know if this has anything to do with being an INFJ or not, but I was also able to pick up the language quickly (Japanese) so I could communicate with teachers and students more effectively.

2)Being assertive was SO difficult for me. It wasn't a problem in my smaller country school. They were all shyer than me. But when I taught in a bigger school the 9th graders were difficult to handle. It was probably the equivalent of teaching in a very lax public school stateside. Not to mention they discipline children differently there. Yeah, it wasn't good.

Also as much as I loved the kids, it was too much extroversion for me at times. They were adorable though. Even when I wanted to just relax in the teacher's room they'd come to ask me to play with them during recess. How could I say no to adorable Japanese children? Anyways I was burnt out constantly during the day and if I had to teach cram classes in the evening as well, I was pretty beat.

3) Be yourself and embrace your own style of teaching. Don't try and be like other teachers. You can't keep up the act and you'll exhaust yourself in the process.

I don't teach anymore. Maybe someday I don't know if it's for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.