Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain what your thought process and emotional nature is like if you type this way? I almost want to say that I am INFP or INTJ with very high Fi if my Fe wasn't so strong. I very much see life through the looking glass, as INFPs seem to, I am pretty much the same as an INFP in my ability and even tendency to use Fi, but then I make judgment calls based on my Fe. I always score as INTJ but I really do not feel that is who I am. I know that Myers-Briggs is far from perfect, but would someone please explain to me how you differ from the "typical" INFJ?

Perhaps I am lying to myself when I take the test. Again, I know it is not definitive. But even though I am most definitely a gushy feeler-judger, the answers I choose when I take the tests align the most with my beliefs, who I am, what I know is best and therefore more comfortable for me. My Fi is super high, but my Fe is a bit higher, I believe.

Anyway, please share.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
As you can see in my signature, I have very high Fi. Si and Ni are equally high, hardly a thing between them. I could really be a handful of types (most likely an INFP) just looking at it that way. In every other test I've taken for the last 20 years or so, I always typed as INFJ however, without fail. So I don't exactly match your description, but a few thoughts anyway:

I am meanwhile not so keen on certain elements of Myers Briggs anymore (this includes the order of I/E attitudes), but I don't want to start a discussion on that here, you can find a lot about it in these Forums anyway. I am still a believer (of sorts) in cognitive functions though.

If you're torn between INFJ and INTJ, keep in mind that from a CF angle, they're virtually the same type. It's the Ni dominance that defines you (which you don't seem to be talking about at all - why is that?). You don't lead with your other functions, so the differences can be very subtle to non-existent. The more balanced you are, the harder it will actually be to type you.

So the difference between Ni dominance (INFJ/INTJ) and Fi dominance (INFP) is the thing that should be obvious if you want to stick with Myers Briggs. It HAS to jump out at you. If you feel your Fi is so strong that it leads, you're most likely neither an INFJ nor an INTJ. If your Fe is so strong that you feel it leads, you're none of the three, because then you're an E-type of sorts.

Turn the whole Spiel around and start with your inferior functions. This works better if you're younger and/or slightly unbalanced, or if you look at stressful situations.

INTJ and INFJ both share inferior Se. That doesn't help to distinguish between them, but it'll help to eliminate (or not) the possibility of INFP (inferior Te). And then you could try to find out if you're more prone to use Ni/Ti (INFJ) or Ni/Fi (INTJ) when your auxiliary fails.

Did you ever take the Key2 test, and could you post your results in order, because that might help to go through a few things...

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
rosegeranium said:
with very high Fi if my Fe wasn't so strong. I very much see life through the looking glass, as INFPs seem to, I am pretty much the same as an INFP in my ability and even tendency to use Fi, but then I make judgment calls based on my Fe. I always score as INTJ but I really do not feel that is who I am. I know that Myers-Briggs is far from perfect, but would someone please explain to me how you differ from the "typical" INFJ?

So suppose you're Ni-dom for now.

Fi vs. Fe is a bit complicated and descriptions do the subject injustice. I think that if you're more of a feeler than a thinker overall, then INFJ is really the correct type for you.

Te moreso than Ti, but not by much.​

You prefer feeling to thinking, have very strong Fi, and Fi > Te. I'd still call you an INFJ because INFJ is ultimately more officially about whether you are an introvert, intuitive, feeler, and J type. You clearly don't prefer extroverted perception to extroverted judgment, so from that standpoint you are a J by some definitions.

The keys-2 test doesn't ask great Fe v. Fi differentiation questions at least as per how I truly see the difference between them.

I also have a friend (and, separately a father) who I think is Ni-dom, who would probably identify more as a person with Fi than with extroverted thinking, even though he has very strongly expressed Te too. One could call either an INTJ or an INFJ.

I'd say INFJ sounds more correct to me.​

INFP could also work in the sense the P v. J traits aren't directly the same as Ne/Se v. Te/Fe, and an INFJ's cognitive model commonly proposed is Ni-dom, which is an "irrational" type, which might somewhat correlate with P, even though I don't think exactly. An Ni-dom could seem like an INFP in the dichotomies.

Indeed, socionics calls Ni-Fe types INFp

186 Posts
I think the problem is that types tend to be too generalized. Now, we're feelers; however, that doesn't mean we don't think. We can be as rational and logical as we like. Yet if it comes to an important decision, we look at the logistics but still decide to do what feels "right" regardless as to whether it is viewed as practical (this could also involve our Ni--of course it's the right decision, I can feel it!)

·
Registered
161 Posts
I also do not like type order at all either. They may have their place but I don't see why an INTJ wouldnt introvert his thinking a lot of the time, and extrovert his intuition. I can agree that when introverting I am asking why and using Ni a lot but there is no reason that I dont use thinking while introverting as well. And ofcourse I usr Fe but Im INTJ right? Anyone who thinks that INTJs cant try and analyze a situation based on the emotional energy people are putting out is uneducated. Thats like saying an INFJ cant learn math. We use them all, I read people all the time and I'm good at it. It just wasn't natural for me. At this point I believe my Ni is strongest abd about everything else is equal, except Si. Which is completely aweful lol.
So, yes I believe you can be an INTJ with with very strong feeling but, I dont think that would make you INFJ/P like. When I have an Fi about something as an INFJ it is absolutely non-negotiable and Ive thought about every side of that issue 1000 times to confirm the Fi. You still sound INTJ to me.
Just a question though, do you have to be in the right mood to do something you've planned (INFJ). Or do you say, I decided that it was best to do this and I'm going to do it my mood will change as it always does. (INTJ)?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I think one main problem that adds confusion is the very use of the words "Feeler" and "Thinker", and what it (wrongly) seems to mean to people.

Feeling in the Jungian (also MBTI) sense is a rational function - it has nothing to do with the way most people use the phrase "I feel..." Feeling in the sense of "moods" for instance isn't what we're looking at if we try to distinguish between F and T.

If you want to distinguish between F and T, you have to ask yourself if your judging process is value-driven or based on logic(al concepts). Emotions as such have nothing to do with it.

If you, like me, believe that MBTI got the order of attitudes a bit wrong, you could also say that a Ni dom actually (apart from their obvious dominant function) mainly uses Fe, Te and Se. Edit: Before I forget it - the order is not necessarily that clear-cut either ;)

Reactions: VelvetJuliet
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.