Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not completely sure about other INFJs but I find myself being ultra open minded about things. If you tell me the earth is flat I would love to hear your views not disparage your thinking and beliefs. I see many sensors being so much manipulated with stuff that is not totally true( there is always an another point of view)
Because of this I sometimes come across others as a very weak personality to others (not taking a stand, or having core beliefs). I do have some strong morals but I am ever ready to have them scrutinised. And may change them if found a good point.

Is it the same with you?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I'm open-minded as long as I believe there's something worthwhile to learn in another's opinions. I will debate them and ask them to reveal more of their logic. Eventually, I might or might not adopt their views. It takes quite a deal of persuasion and argumentation to change my mind on any theoretical views - for instance, if someone told me the Earth were flat, I would immediately begin to question their sanity and probe for their overall mental state. I'm not open to seeming insanity, but I am open to discussion.

·
Registered
980 Posts
1. having or showing a mind receptive to new ideas or arguments. NO!

I always say that I am open minded but really I don't think I am. Unless you have some really unquestionable research to change my mind, even then I will still dig my heels in, refuse to change and do my own research.

2. unprejudiced; un-bigoted; impartial. Yes

Open minded for me really means that I accept you and your life

highlighted in a recent flat mate advert

I am a counsellor/psychotherapist. I am an open minded, non-judgemental, non-conformist, chilled and relaxed ex-hippie and if you care to do a little research my personality style is not unlike that of an I an INFJ. I watercolour paint, I play guitar rather poorly, I love Linux, I bake bread and keep tropical fish.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Since we have the natural ability as INFJs to see things from many different perspectives, in a way, yes we are very open-minded.

However, the second our Ni comes to a solid conclusion and we are able to express that conclusion via Fe, then, most often, h*** no.

We all WANT to be open-minded. Why? Beats me, but according to society it seems to be an admirable, morally-righteous trait. I personally disagree with that line of thinking. If no one was able to hold a solid view on anything, the world would be an unintelligible, amorphous blob of a place.

Edit: Just wanted to add something. Society's definition of "open-mindedness" actually boils down to little more than Orwellian groupthink. "Agree with us or you're a closed-minded bigot." It's one thing not to tolerate actual condemnation of people for something innocent, but to go so far as to socially criminalize dissent? That's entirely different, and completely irrational.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I'm open minded till I'm sure you are incorrect. :p

I don't think that it is entirely possible to say which type is the "most open minded" without doing a survey. I mean, sure INFJs do have Fe going for them, but if that causes open mindedness then ENFJs should be even more open minded because it is their dominant function. But yeah... I think the only real way to settle this would be through a survey.

·
Registered
INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so
2,600 Posts
I think we do have a lot of potential to be open-minded. That would make sense that you are as well. We often want to learn about people and why they feel the way they do. In my opinion, it is an NF thing in general. Us being in the world of "what if" has us wonder about the world around us. We have a longing to learn and there is a certain acceptance that comes with this. However, the J can contradict this if we feel strongly about something. I find that I can be the opposite of open-minded at my worst but at my best I am generally accepting. While we are open to things, I think INFJs do have strong opinions on things.

Reactions: Vivid Melody

·
Registered
897 Posts
I have to make a conscious decision to be open-minded. I judge the shit out of everyone and then I stop myself and say "No, hang on, there could be many reasons they are this way."

When it comes to unusual beliefs, I'm not going to believe someone who says the earth is flat but I'm not 100% going to dismiss them either. I'm not 100% sure the sky is blue. I'm not 100% sure about anything I supposedly "know" at all.

I'm in a Facebook group and this guy keeps posting sketches of these fairies that he claims talk to him. This leads me to suspect he's either on drugs or has a mental condition but again...maybe I'm wrong and he really is some kind of magnet for mystical, mythical beings.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Where are we going??! :)

It's difficult for a 'J' to ever be as open minded as a 'P', and especially dom Ne users. So I would personally vote for ENFPs and ENTPs to be the most open minded.
First we will go to whatever concert you want. Then head back to my house or your house to play music and sing Christmas songs. Also we should make gingerbread cookies. As for open-minded, bring whatever person you want to and bring whatever ideas you want to and then we will ride Unicorns in the dark and climb trees and think of magic spells to summon fairies. Also, lets talk astro physics later, although I don't have any training in that...hmm... =) Wouldn't it be awesome to go to the Messiah together as NFs!? Thanks for the opportunity to show off just a little Ne. ><

Reactions: Songs unsung

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
First we will go to whatever concert you want. Then head back to my house or your house to play music and sing Christmas songs. Also we should make gingerbread cookies. As for open-minded, bring whatever person you want to and bring whatever ideas you want to and then we will ride Unicorns in the dark and climb trees and think of magic spells to summon fairies. Also, lets talk astro physics later, although I don't have any training in that...hmm... =) Wouldn't it be awesome to go to the Messiah together as NFs!? Thanks for the opportunity to show off just a little Ne. ><

Haha! I was right with you until bringing random others along, I zoned out during the unicorns and spells section, then returned to the awesome sounds of the Hallelujah chorus! Wonderful. Thank you x

·
Registered
75 Posts
To be honest, I do consider myself as an open minded person. I can see from all perspectives and see where they are coming from even though I disagree with them. I will not hate on them even if I disagree with them. But I also do believe in doing what is right eventhouh it is not seem like a popular choice and get looked down upon by others . Do you all get what I am saying?

·
Banned
3,318 Posts
I suppose I'm open-minded in the sense that I'm willing to hear just about anybody out concerning their beliefs/positions. It's also pretty difficult for me to dismiss the possibility of something being true, even if I've given myself ample reason to do so.

One of my biggest fears is getting to the end of my life and realizing that I was fundamentally incorrect in regards to what I believed or lived for, so I explore just about any avenue I come across -- to some extent. There are obviously some ideas that are easier to reject outright (e.g.: the world being flat. I do not understand why that's a thing), but I'll give almost anything a fighting chance.

Also, second what @Alesha said. ENFPs are often accused of being gullible, but I think it's more that they're extremely willing to entertain different possibilities. I hate it when people put them down for that.

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
The INFJ I know is not open-minded. I would pay the person who could make them a little less so. It would do wonders for their long-term happiness.

I'd say the ability to listen to others without immediate judgement or ego is not type related, it's just a rare quality in general. It requires constant self awareness and the ability to set aside the knee jerk reaction to make the conversation about one's self.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
@Coburn. It does have to do with my type. We ENFPs let others be themselves and we will defend that right for everyone to the last breath. We are strongly egalitarian and strongly non-judgmental. And although our Ne sibling ENTP is also open-minded, it's not in a people direction. So ENFP is it. INFP may argue for it. ISFPs and ESFPs will be pretty open-minded too. But I still definitely think it's hard to argue ENFPs are not the top contenders.

Reactions: AshOrLey

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
@Coburn. It does have to do with my type. We ENFPs let others be themselves and we will defend that right for everyone to the last breath. We are strongly egalitarian and strongly non-judgmental. And although our Ne sibling ENTP is also open-minded, it's not in a people direction. So ENFP is it. INFP may argue for it. ISFPs and ESFPs will be pretty open-minded too. But I still definitely think it's hard to argue ENFPs are not the top contenders.
MBTI only outlines how a person takes in data. It doesn't determine what they do with that data (such as reject or accept it).

Open mindedness is an approach to data, not an unconscious method of interpretation. While I'm sure there are ENFPs who embody this character trait, it is not inherent in the type or any of the cognitive functions the ENFP uses.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
@Coburn. There are certain traits that are a part of each type. The Ne coupled with Fi makes it so we pretty much insist on accepting other people. Otherwise our Ne would be limited---we would not be able to find the information we seek. We want to find feelings/meanings in other people and figure out why they are how they are and find out their feelings. Being judgmental of people would limit our Ne and we won't do that. The fact that we don't judge people is often considered almost a ENFP fault-- we are supposed to learn in time to try to judge people more. If you read the type descriptions, it's definitely in there in the way that I am meaning (that we are open-minded about people).
So anyway... if you guys want to know get to know some ENFPs. =)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts