Personality Cafe banner

INFJ thoughts on "the one", "soul mates", and the idea of settling

[INFJ] 
48K views 206 replies 117 participants last post by  armchairphilosopher 
#1 ·
INFJ thoughts on "the one", "soul mates", and the idea of settling

I've been mulling this over ever since responding to the thread on whether or not an INFJ will ever be satisfied in terms of love and relationships. I'd love to hear more thoughts on the INFJ view of a satisfying relationship and how they expect it to happen. Is anything less than instantaneous attraction or "spark" considered settling or lowering one's standards? Please read the exerpt from my response from the other thread.

Here is what I ponder. I'm not sure it's so much about finding the "perfect" person for you but rather someone who cares enough to work at it. At some point, someone will have to appreciate us for who we are to the core but it may be up to us to communicate (in their terms) who we are. If they care, they will see it - otherwise they may just laugh it off and tell us we are nuts! I've always believed that there is the possibility of that so-called perfect, "meant to be" relationship. Two souls that touch one another and stick, soul mates, "the one"...how many other terms can I come up with? In any case, we need to accept that there will be euphoric highs in a relationship, just as there will be heart crushing lows. When you have 2 people that have separate emotions - unpredictable are our emotions - it will not ALWAYS be perfect. As INFJ's we strive for perfection because we know it's possible - if we can imagine it - it has to exist. This in some respects is one of our pitfalls. We fear the term "settling" or are haunted by the fact that maybe the next person is better for us. Maybe, we were meant to inspire someone past a point they are naturally able to.

Ponder this. I see myself as being the type of person that can see from point A to point Z, and everything in between. Someone else may only see what's possible between point A and point T. If I were to choose to enter a relationship with said person, does this mean that I'm settling because they can only see to point T? Or, if I communicate and lead this person past T and they are open enough to explore that...will they eventually reach Z? Some may argue that perhaps this person will never reach Z, and that is a real possibility. What we live with as NIFJs is wondering if the person standing next to the A/T guy or gal is an A/Z person just like we are. Maybe they are an A/X person but they don't have the openess to move beyond that or maybe they are only an A/D person - it's hard to say! And to futher ponder...what if that person were A/ZZ? Just imagine what some people think we may be missing out on!

See less See more
#2 ·
I find this romantic idealism really attractive and beautiful, but you may be making it a bit hard for anyone to fit that 'perfect' soulmate partner.

#4 ·
Willy -
That's just it. That is why I pose the question. Perhaps we do make it too difficult to find that "perfect" person. Maybe that person and ourselves need to be cultivated into the type of relationship we desire. I just wanted to see what everyone else would say about it. Considering where I live, the odds of me meeting my "cosmic" companion is pretty much slim to none - so it made me ponder!:happy:

Reactions: Morphyous and Sovia
#5 ·
Reality would more likely reflect something along the lines of:

- You, Waterviolet, can see [A1 to Z1]. However, while you like [G1, L1, S1, V1 and X1], you want [B1, L1 and V1] and you need [G1, H1, V1 and X1].

- A potential partner of yours can see [A1 to T1] and [R2 to U2], likes [insert whatever], wants [insert whatever] and needs [insert whatever].

Fine, you might be able to "see everything in-between" the limits of the two points along your perceived line (segment), but whatever we are talking about probably has more dimensions.

Basically I'm extending your "they might be able to see from A to ZZ" point*, except, you probably cant see "everything in-between" yourself (nor would they), and there is bound to be something they can see between A and Z that you missed.

(*= Well, I would have said "E to AC" to convey that you two are bound to be able to see (some) different things and it would be unlikely that one of you could see everything the other can plus more.)

Say that there is just one thing they can see that you don't - would they be settling for you? If you want to think that way, well at least you're settling for each other (if you can see at least one thing they can't).

But you know what? If they can't see something that you think is meaningful or whatever, drag them past their sight to experience it and you shall be the mystical entity who allowed them to do so.

Also my other point is that some of the things you can "see" you probably don't like, want or need anyway.

#6 ·
Oh boy...instead of inspiring me Garm you totally made my mind seize up! I'm sure there are lots of things I can't see, and even if I were to clone myself - my clone wouldn't have the same exact thought processes at the same exact time. So my clone wouldn't be the same person, with the same experiences defining my life even though we are genetically the same. Hence, I'm sure there is a lot of stuff I'm unaware of between A and Z but it was just a general idea of what could be ultimately possible - admittedly, others might see something different. Assuming that everyone starts out at A and general assumption that Z is the end of the alphabet it was just a fact of trying to visualize the possibilities in a way that everyone could imagine it. Anyhow, I think I need a nap now - reading your post wore me out. It would make for a good debate though! Now I can ponder what it is I want while at the same time not knowing what I need.

#7 ·
I'm sure there are lots of things I can't see, and even if I were to clone myself - my clone wouldn't have the same exact thought processes at the same exact time. So my clone wouldn't be the same person, with the same experiences defining my life even though we are genetically the same.
But at the same time, an individual who is not a clone of you could still have experienced similar situations as you had throughout life. Such an individual could end up seeing the same or at least a very close scope that you can.

However, where is the benefit in that? One can't devleop and learn from a copy of themselves. Sure, sometimes the difference between two people is too much for anything to happen, in that area, between them, but once they are compatible enough, surely the more they can learn and develop from each other, the better?

But anyways, basically I'm just saying that it's not so linear, we don't all start out at A (different cultures and upbringings and etc) and we all end up with crazy combinations at the end, and to be honest, I don't think there really is a "Z" unless it's omniscience or something.

Nap well.

#8 ·
I don’t think I believe in soul mates not because I'm not romantic but I believe we can get along and love more than one type of person and I don’t mean settling by that. What worries me the most is someone not accepting me for who I am that I have to hide some aspect of myself from them because if I do something part of my personality and I get criticized for it and they would want to change it then that would just be unacceptable...behaviors or habits can be changed no problem but the essence of who I am no. So I'm always afraid I won’t find someone like that and settling would mean I would have to hide part of me to get along with that person.

#11 ·
So with your sister's nagging, you at least agree that you should be (or at least it would be more ideal if you were) more orderly with poessesions in the home.

However, if you didn't agree with the above, then would you have a problem with your sister's nagging/demands?

#15 ·
So with your sister's nagging, you at least agree that you should be (or at least it would be more ideal if you were) more orderly with poessesions in the home.

However, if you didn't agree with the above, then would you have a problem with your sister's nagging/demands?

Thanks for asking the question, it made me reflect on the issue more and connect the dots so to speak. The difference between the two issues is that yes it might appear that I did what my sister asked even though I said I hate to be told what to do but she never asked me to change who I am to always do what she wants and never to have a say in anything and that is what I meant if I’m with someone who would ask me to be something I’m not meaning I would have to be an actual follower of all he asked without question which is what I object to. The behavior my sister has an issue with I agreed to change it because I saw it is a good idea. Now the question is if I didn’t think it was a good idea would I change it then no I wouldn’t and had arguments with my sister about having different opinions or ways of doing things. I have found out today she is an ESTP, which explains a lot about of our level of agreement though she is an accepting person so she may nag sometimes and want things to go her way but she accepts me as an individual even if some of my behaviors are annoying to her (that applies to me also).

If an individual demanded that you do something, without asking you how you felt about it, but you actually agreed with them, would this be compromising the essence of your character or not? E.g: if a partner of yours demanded that you be more orderly with possessions around the home (does your sister do something different? Does she say "I'd like for you to be more orderly" or does she order it, but nicely?).
I would grumble about it in front of them or say something snappy like "I know" if I was actually going to do it without them telling me to do it. But as I described earlier I wouldn’t see that as changing my character just something I find annoying.
Demanding something of me is not accepted for sure and I would tell him that but I still wouldn’t see that as changing my character but if he said please I would do it out of respect and because I agree with him and if I don’t agree I’m willing to be convinced of the change if there is any usefulness or necessity to it. My sister just says “put these back” or “why is this still here?” which sometimes makes me say “I’ll do it later” and in reality she ends up putting it back. Actually, I’m an orderly person but sometimes I just like something out of place because I thought I might use it in the future and want it infront of me but my “S” type sister doesn’t see it that way. :laughing:

#12 ·
I was trying to explain what I'm willing to change what is not part of the essence of my character. I can change behaviors to get along with others because there has to be room for compromise. The nagging is annoying but I can see her way so in a way I do agree things have to be in place.

#13 ·
If an individual demanded that you do something, without asking you how you felt about it, but you actually agreed with them, would this be compromising the essence of your character or not? E.g: if a partner of yours demanded that you be more orderly with possessions around the home (does your sister do something different? Does she say "I'd like for you to be more orderly" or does she order it, but nicely?).

#16 ·
I don't like terms like soul-mate... :laughing: to new agey, although nothing wrong with that, but it makes me cringe a bit even though I think such a thing does exist, in some ways, but a little bit different.

I believe a person attracts the quality of their life. I also believe a person attracts their mate. If I change myself in a positive way, maybe I will be deserving of that woman who I desire to be in a relationship in my mind. Maybe the desire of my heart will become the reality of my existence.

But I don't want to think I have thrown away so much time simply for a unrealistic imagination. I have never been in a relationship, as I felt that I was saving myself for a partner who would match me and accept my, despite my obvious flaws. And together, like two spiritual seekers, grow together and be.

I think it is completely unrealistic now, the more I interact on this forum, as this isn't something peculiar to myself, but an idealistic thing from being a INFJ.

#68 ·
I don't like terms like soul-mate... :laughing: to new agey, although nothing wrong with that, but it makes me cringe a bit even though I think such a thing does exist, in some ways, but a little bit different.

I believe a person attracts the quality of their life. I also believe a person attracts their mate. If I change myself in a positive way, maybe I will be deserving of that woman who I desire to be in a relationship in my mind. Maybe the desire of my heart will become the reality of my existence.

But I don't want to think I have thrown away so much time simply for a unrealistic imagination. I have never been in a relationship, as I felt that I was saving myself for a partner who would match me and accept my, despite my obvious flaws. And together, like two spiritual seekers, grow together and be.

I think it is completely unrealistic now, the more I interact on this forum, as this isn't something peculiar to myself, but an idealistic thing from being a INFJ.
ROFL! WOW!!!! This is funny in hindsight. I found someone wonderful, who is all I ever wanted. Funny how different things become.

#17 ·
Ok, I think I get it now MoonLight; it's as you said before: the part of your character/essence that we have been analysing is simply that you refuse to be ordered around. Well, I think it's a little bit more complicated that - you refuse to be ordered to do things which you don't agree with (doing things you don't necessarily agree with for people who ask nicely or who are being reasonable does not compromise this of course, as they aren't demanding).

Aye?

#22 ·
Well then you are in a nearly infinitely greater position than the OP, in terms of not having to settle to be with someone.

"Settling" for someone sounds so egotistical... if you think about it.
These aren't my notions I'm analysing (I'm using Ne here); I'm attempting to understand others.

(You might not be picking on me, but you could have quoted the title.)

Regardless, I'm sure the concept (of "settling") has some use.

#29 ·
I have found that "the one" is a person with similar values and who doesn't give up on the relationship when things get rough. As the old adage goes; anything that doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I think it's the same for relationships really. Nowadays everyone seems to break up over the tiniest little things. From what I gather "the one" is imagined as a person with whom no adapting is necessarry, but that's just not possible. You even have to adapt to yourself or you'll never improve at anything. Let alone not having to adapt to other people. The entire concept is just silly to me.

But I'm not entirely rational when it comes to this though. Being a religious person, I simply prayed to God and asked him if he would help me find the right girl. Then when I saw her, I swear I heard I a voice in my head (no history of mental illness here) that said "that girl!". Anyway, it's 4 years later now and we're getting married August 8th. But it wasn't perfect up until now, and I don't expect it to be in the future.

I know we will get through any problems that come our way though, just like we always have. And that's why she's the one.

#32 ·
Hey, Vel "so, do you think your inner world is more orderly or your outer world?"
I couldn't resist, dam soul mate thread makes me want to be flirty funny and I am not that funny

#56 ·
right now there is disorder like everywhere so i'm hiding out in the kitchen - that the only place where some order is left and i can forum whore in peace lol

Interestingly my INFJ wife never managed to keep it as orderly as she wanted around her (child and me being ENTP didnt help ;-). And this was putting a lot of stress on her....
from what that you have said so far, it sounds like her introverted intuition is very strong
when it becomes overactive INFJ becomes so deeply engulfed by the Ni that he or she stops keeping up connection with the outside world - it is good that you are helping her get through this

Wow this is a whole new side of INFJ I've never thought of before. Does the INFJ actively strive to change to anyone? I understand that they put everyone they meet through a screening to filter out the less desired people. But do they then try to change their partner afterwards?!
in general I would say that INFJs who have very strong Fe and J can become almost like tyrants towards their loved ones in trying to change them to adapt what the INFJ sees as more socially acceptable and/or beneficial behavior - at the core, it is not a selfish drive - but when Fe is unbalanced together with J it can come off as very harsh and critical and controlling behavior, trying to make you fit some social norms or simply perform better for yourself in society - i have experienced this from ISFJs and ESFJs quite often

in general I'd say that INFJs do not strive hard to change people because we fall in love with people for who they are - rather than their looks, material possessions, or potential of what they can be like - and I think the ones higher on Ni and Ti functions but low on Fe are less likely to strive to change their partner or family members

#33 ·
In a "nut shell"... we do make too difficult for our partners.

I had to "learn this the hard way." It appears that when we start to love someone, our focus turns to "other-thinking" instead of what exactly we are doing.

I was way too hard on my husband and children for many years --- on how they "should be" instead of enjoying whom they already are. (That was a very selfish act on my part.):blushed:

Thank goodness they understood that I was trying to do only what was best for them, and everything turned out fine.

Now... 17 years later, I have become wiser and healthy. I allow life to "teach the lessons" instead of me. I have become their helper "when and only when" they get stuck. --- I finally understand the balance required in " knowing the answer and just blurting it out"; and "waiting until the time and person are ready."

#34 ·
Speculation from my marriage to an INFJ: Yes it does seem that INFJs want things orderly around them since they have some form of chaos inside which is more difficult to effect. And us ENTPs we can live in a horrible mess since we are enormously structured inside, and in cases (such as ideas and values) are almost rigid. That is perhaps why we are assumed arrogant and stubborn....

Interestingly my INFJ wife never managed to keep it as orderly as she wanted around her (child and me being ENTP didnt help ;-). And this was putting a lot of stress on her....

#35 ·
Wow this is a whole new side of INFJ I've never thought of before. Does the INFJ actively strive to change to anyone? I understand that they put everyone they meet through a screening to filter out the less desired people. But do they then try to change their partner afterwards?!

Reactions: waterviolet
#36 ·
Search for "Pygmalion projects + personality type". Every type has one....

Interestingly, If we (or for example the INFJ) succeeds in changing the person according to her "dream image", then she most probably would lose interest and it would all crash....

#37 ·
Logic intervenes in my mind and tells me that it's silly to think there is only one girl out there who is right for you.

Nevertheless, when I find a girl I like, it begins with a spark. Then I throw logic to the wind and live in ignorant bliss for a little while.

For me, a healthy relationship has lots of communication. With my ability to see that something is wrong, I've always asked my girlfriends to open up and talk to me about it. They never did, however. They'd just let it stew until it boiled over, and the sh*t would hit the fan. Not cool.

Trust is another thing... And probably my biggest weakness in this area. Without at least some signs of affection I'll start to feel undervalued, and my brain will start throwing all these awful scenarios at me. I try harder to be more affectionate then, but I often just come off as clingy.

Oh well. What can you do, right?

#39 ·
I would say learning to give some take some and let your partner do the same. Communication is key.

My husband and i are complete opposites. There are times i want to drag his consciousness into mine and let him see how i see things so that he can better understand what i am dealing with. However, in this current age thats impossible.

I dont think i settled when i married. I think i gained. I gained the attributes i myself did not have. I get to understand another kind of person. The kind of person who is so completely different then me that i am always searching for how he thinks. Why did he do that? Will he do it like this?

No matter you marry your soul mate or the one. You will still have to work through whatever comes your way. Relationships are so complex that even the perfect relationship ideal would never work. There will always be something you wont see eye to eye on. We are all different people in our own different world. You may say the clouds are white when he says they are grey. Isnt it all about how we perceive things?

Oh and just to add. My husband is my soulmate and is the one. He isnt perfect but i wouldnt have him any other way. Two of the same people in one boat is one too many. :laughing:

#40 ·
Willy,

I can see where it may be perceived as an INFJ wanting to change someone but that's not what we want. We will always hold ourselves accountable for the decisions we make. Hence our own need for making the "right" decision. If most INFJ's are like myself, we want people to be who they are and express all they are. We would never want their decisions to be made based on some childish form of guilt trip or trickery. Our making the "right" decison boils down to the heart of exactly who the other person is. How will someone know what you are feeling or lacking unless you communicate it? Once you share that, it is up to the other person to either act upon it or ignore it. We aren't trying to change them but rather challenge them to see if they care about us enough to consider our feelings. INFJ's in general will accept the fact a person isn't perfect - afterall, perfect is boring. In return, we want to give the same consideration...we won't be perfect but we will consider your feelings always, it's part of who we are.

#41 ·
Willy,

I can see where it may be perceived as an INFJ wanting to change someone but that's not what we want. We will always hold ourselves accountable for the decisions we make. Hence our own need for making the "right" decision. If most INFJ's are like myself, we want people to be who they are and express all they are. We would never want their decisions to be made based on some childish form of guilt trip or trickery. Our making the "right" decison boils down to the heart of exactly who the other person is. How will someone know what you are feeling or lacking unless you communicate it? Once you share that, it is up to the other person to either act upon it or ignore it. We aren't trying to change them but rather challenge them to see if they care about us enough to consider our feelings. INFJ's in general will accept the fact a person isn't perfect - afterall, perfect is boring. In return, we want to give the same consideration...we won't be perfect but we will consider your feelings always, it's part of who we are.

Well said! Look at my post right before hers to see that we dont need perfect people. :laughing:

#43 ·
Interesting thought...change. What popped into my mind was the idea of a topic that always drives me. I love sparking people to think differently than they normally would. To consider other points of view in hopes that it changes their lives as it has mine. Part of me wonders why others would not want to have "Ah-ha" moments but then not everyone cares to think so deeply or will take from it the same level of awe. Perhaps this could be seen as an INFJ's desire to "change" someone when in fact our intent is only to enrich their lives with something different.

Reactions: halah
#46 ·
To see several aspects at the sime time: ENTP trait.
As an ENTP with SJ parents, they have always said that" you always think the opposite of what we do regardless" when they keep nagging about some persons stupidity or such. I then try to see it ( and speak the side of) from the other perspective, but you dont get popular that way.... To bond in a group you just agree.

But in the other hand, I almost never get angry. If you can see the other persons (sometimes weird and wrong) logic /opinion, then whats there to get upset about?

Only immature ENTPs fell judgement easily....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.