Personality Cafe banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Cause For Everyone's Calling and Capabilities

What would you do if a handful of Bengal Tigers suddenly appeared outside your house, prowling your neighborhood?

Would you be shocked?

Not gonna happen where I live now. Many of us are too poor to afford home Internet.

1: How much (or little) have you heard about this subject? (ex, the news)

When I was growing up in the 'hood (Cleveland, OH) someone on an aunt's street had a lion. There were many other instances of what is called 'exotic pets' being purchased by various people in or around the city, so it wasn't a shock to me. I lived a life of violence, among crazy people. After that, 'exotic pets' didn't rate as shocking.

2: Have you ever known anyone who owned an Exotic Pet (any animal not considered fully domesticated)?

Not as friends, but sure, all kinds of animals. Snakes, monkeys, raccoons, the lion I mentioned, ferrets (not legal in many places in the U.S.), de-scented skunks, a wolf-husky mix, other wolf-hybrids, many more.

It was like a badge for most of the people similar to upper-middle class people I knew who flaunted fur coats and Mercedes and such: They were cooler, better, braver, more special, whatever. (Not really, to my mind, but to their own and those who thought like them.)

3: What is your opinion on the owning of exotic pets, especially as something that is legal in most parts of the US?

I don't give it any thought--until I run across this in a "debate" title here that catches my eye.

I grew up with the animals around me, arguments about whether various animals should be tolerated off-leash, in parks, you name it. And I knew of people who turned in the ones who had animals that were on illegal lists. That was there thing, not mine, so I just took mental note.

I also read a great deal about people in various countries who brought the animals from the wild and sold them to rich people across the globe including the U.S. so I've been familiar with it as a global issue since I was a kid, reading about it since I was, oh, 12 through 20s and 30s (more than now).

I think about animal neglect and abuse when I see it rather than 'unusual' animals because domesticated animals are harmed and also do far more harm than so-called exotic ones.

Ex. A neighbor has a pit-bull (a lot of boxer in her) and the "owners" don't take her for walks. They won't let her off the tiny front square of lawn when it's warm outside, and they are hateful about anyone even talking to or acknowledging her 'play bow' which I ignored all summer except to apologize for intruding.

(It was more important to me that the dog recognize friendly "strangers" than that I be polite or obey some common courtesy so the pit bull and I had some friendly exchanges.)

Since cold set in I haven't seen her out at all, not even to use the bathroom.

I have thought about how she isn't getting exercise, isn't getting socialized, isn't happy, "and" there's nothing I can do about that, because this town is poor; there isn't much in the way of animal control here, and if I turned the owners in they can just say they do take her out and how would I know (I can't be watching their house day and night), and compared to what they have to deal with (really gruesome cases) this neighbor's dog wouldn't make much of a blip.

I'm sorry about the situation; it's unfortunate, but that's the way it is, so I concentrate on what I can do something about:

Someone lost all hope for life, has no job, got some other serious problems that his wife reached out for help on.

I acted on that today by contacting someone the man respects; someone with courage, stamina, and more of what the hurting one needs.

So if someone has the drive, energy, money, other resources to work toward changing laws or doing some other kind of beneficial work to help any animal that is hurting--domesticated or otherwise, that's cool. We should all do what we can when we see suffering.
http://personalitycafe.com/infj-for...whats-your-take-sad-but-very-real-debate.html

1 - 1 of 1 Posts