Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the idea for an experiment. And it would be really great if many of you would participate! Especially also the ones who've already made some "INFJ videos".

I find it quite interesting to see what happens when we just look straight into the camera and avoid the eye movement or any other strange physical movements! Because that's in a way how people expect us to communicate with them.

I haven't recorded anything yet, but I'll do it...omg (I hope)... :mellow:

Step 1:
Choose a topic you are going to talk about.
This can be "simple" things like pets, holidays, weekend, hobbies, family, etc.

Step 2:
Prepare to
Stare STRAIGHT into the camera
DON'T move your eyes sideways!
You may blink if it's the normal blinking cause your eyes are getting dry or something. But
AVOID nervous blinking.
DON'T move your head and
DON'T take your hands to your head/face if you don't feel an itch.

Step 3:
Start the camera...:laughing: and
talk about your chosen topic
and follow the instructions in Step 2.

You may or may not talk about how it made/makes you feel and about the effects of this unusual straight staring.

Step 4:
Stop whenever you want. :proud:

I've actually TRIED it in front of my webcam when it wasn't recording. It was very strange.:blushed:

Maybe you could also say if you plan on posting something...and opinions are also welcome.:happy:
I hope this hasn't been done before...?:unsure:

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds interesting. I might give it a go.
This sounds so harrrd! XD Which makes me want to try. Maybe tonight!
YAY! :laughing:

Haha...I just found out that the format of the videos I can make with my webcam aren't compatible with youtube or something...trying something else now. :crazy: Maybe it's still gonna work.:proud:

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pre-video

HA! Finally! but only a NORMAL one...:crazy:

The first time when I was satisfied with what I'd recorded, I made a much nicer impression. But in this video - one hour later - I'm a bit less awkward...haha...well...here is a "normal" video to introduce myself.:blushed:

OMG! The THUMBNAIL! But it will be better in less than six hours...says YouTube...:unsure:

·
Registered
569 Posts
My (poor) attempt. This is the third take. As I mention in the video, I felt like any more than three and I'd be cheating. It's kind of funny how not having my tics makes my shoulders rise... and rise... and rise with tension. By the end I'm like a turtle. Also I stutter waaay more in this video than I usually do. So weird!

If you hear a humming noise, it's my mini-fridge. I decided to put my camera on it instead of holding it like I did for my previous videos... I thought it might help with the experiment?

·
Registered
569 Posts
You did a really good job. I'd fail in 2 seconds. I like staring at walls when I talk.

You crack me up too. haha
My choir professor in high school used to yell at us for looking up or away when we were trying to find a note. He'd say, "The note's not up on the ceiling!" ...but I often found it there. I guess thinking for me is the same way? It helps me to look somewhere else if I can't think of what I'm trying to say... because maybe the words will be on the wall or on that tree or something.

Thank you, I crack me up too! :p You should have heard the second take, I was terrible. Instead of Richard, I talked about my cats. Even while I was taking the video I was just like, "Oh God no, this was a bad idea, I'm talking about how my cat's tail twitches when she's happy so that means she's a Feeler..." and I deleted the file. Hahaha.

·
Registered
569 Posts

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Experiment 1

Thanks for your contributions so far.:happy:

Hahaaaa...here it comes:

I'm making a complete fool of myself. I'm not talking about anything interesting. Without looking away that was just impossible! only talking about how cute my kitty is...haha xD

But I'm also cheating! I'm lying(?) in bed. So the urge to take my hands anywhere near my face is not that high anyway.:laughing: BUT...the effect is still devastating!

Yeah...without glasses, with open hair and completely without makup I look a bit different.:crazy:

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, I found this really hard to do, and it's the first video I've ever done. So this is 12 takes later, lol...

YouTube - INFJ video experiment.
:laughing:
You really did a great job! I mean...there are only a few seconds in the middle of your video where you really (need to) look away. But I find it very interesting to know what would have happened if you had lso suppressed that one. :laughing:

Same for the other two. :blushed:

To everyone planning on making a video too:
Don't be afraid to make a fool of yourself!
It can't be worse than how I did! :crazy::wink:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Wowww I feel so much more advanced after seeing how often you moved your eyes about, hahaha. 8) Very interesting, nonetheless! And you didn't touch your face at all which is always hard for me...
well thank you for this, when i saw the video myself I couldnt believe how much my eyes moved.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well thank you for this, when i saw the video myself I couldnt believe how much my eyes moved.
hehe, yeah, strange, isn't it?

And I think exactly this eye movement is what makes people think we're unsure (dunno if people think that about you...but I've got that problem). And also making those many pauses while talking about something. I don't feel like I'm doing it as much as I actually do it. Only when watching the videos I've recorded I see how annoying that must be for some people. And how they might think I'm utterly unsure of myself. Yet, when allowed to move my eyes, I can speak more fluently, I guess. (English was also I factor that causes me to speak more slowly sometimes...maybe I'll try a German one...:laughing:)

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hmmmm....double posting...:unsure:

I just recorded another video in German. It was way easier for me. ^^ But it's not as interesting for you so I won't post it.

I even managed to stare straight into the camera all the time (except for at the beginning and once in the middle of the video). Bit it becomes quite an apathic stare. And at some point I have to stop cause I lost track of my thoughts. And it's really creepy how I just stare into the camery expressionlessly. :confused::crazy: And then I say that I'm thinking (maybe I was thinking, don't remember) but it absolutely doesn't LOOK like I was thinking.

·
Registered
571 Posts
hehe, yeah, strange, isn't it?

And I think exactly this eye movement is what makes people think we're unsure (dunno if people think that about you...but I've got that problem). And also making those many pauses while talking about something. I don't feel like I'm doing it as much as I actually do it. Only when watching the videos I've recorded I see how annoying that must be for some people. And how they might think I'm utterly unsure of myself. Yet, when allowed to move my eyes, I can speak more fluently, I guess. (English was also I factor that causes me to speak more slowly sometimes...maybe I'll try a German one...:laughing:)
well its less about im unsure or uncomfortable than i dont know in what words i should say what i want to say it. If i could explain it with the full scientific vocabulary, i'd be able to speek way more fluently and without moving my eyes.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I meant: seeming unsure. It's the same with me. I don't talk that "strangely" because I'm unsure, but because I don't know how to put it even though I know what I want to say.
That's one possibility. And sometimes my track of thoughts just gets cut off. No idea why that is...whatever...:unsure:

·
Registered
68 Posts
hmmmm....double posting...:unsure:

I just recorded another video in German. It was way easier for me. ^^ But it's not as interesting for you so I won't post it.

I even managed to stare straight into the camera all the time (except for at the beginning and once in the middle of the video). Bit it becomes quite an apathic stare. And at some point I have to stop cause I lost track of my thoughts. And it's really creepy how I just stare into the camery expressionlessly. :confused::crazy: And then I say that I'm thinking (maybe I was thinking, don't remember) but it absolutely doesn't LOOK like I was thinking.
Actually, I would find it interesting if you posted the video in German. I took German lessons in high school for a few years, and have forgotten most of what I did learn :(

1 - 20 of 64 Posts