Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on an interactive graphic system to show mapping of functions by type - overlaid onto the area of the brain most associated with that process. The inspiration was Lenore Thomson's work on function to brain mapping. In other versions of this system I use the pie slices to indicate preference order, but in this one I just show them wholly filled in. So that's half of why I'm posting the image - to get feedback.

The main reason though is to show a Type relationship between ISFP and INFJ. Does this graphic do a fair job perhaps of demonstrating how people could get mixed up about the two? How do you think the relationship of function between these two would contribute to friendship, work, other?

I'm interested both in thoughts on the Intertype Relations between ISFP and INFJ -- and ideas about the graphic.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
As a sensor, I'd assume that the ISFP would be able to bring out smaller details that the INFJ may miss while thinking about the end result

I'm not too good at this, however

Your graphic is confusing at first glance

But after inspection it makes sense

May want to make it a bit easier on the eyes, but otherwise it is very well put together

Good job!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
first off.
visuals are THE greatest.

I believe that the two types as friends are quite compatible, I have found that I disagree on many things with my ISFP friend.
mainly her Fi is pretty strong in how she has developed it.
I know other people with Fi but her particular inner code is a bit different from my Fe.
so I get judged a lot and reprimended for being myself and sticking up for the values I find fair.
because our systems can conflict at times.
however there is a definite understanding between us about our strengths and weaknesses.
the main issue I deal with mostly is feelings of guilt for not living up to her particular standards for me and everyone else in her life.
once again I can only give information based on my experience.

I DO love the visual graphic!
you made it?
very nice, very very nice.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
question about the graphic...

you placed the functions on particular sides of the brain
(ex... front, side right, side left, back)
is that where the particular functions are working...
also arrows inbetween parts of the brain?
directions of functions working together?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did create the graphic, but it's just me expounding on the work of Lenore Thomson. I'm trying to show some things that she explains but does not depict. Mainly that the Shadow Functions are processed in regions co-mingled with their directional opposites. Think about the implications of that for a moment. When you are using Ni as an INFJ you are using a part of the brain that also is purposed to Si.

Sure you can't drill a hole in somebody's head and find a little tag that says Si. The brain obviously doesn't work that way. Thomson just describes where the brain generally processes the functions that are associated with our 4 favorite letters.

My middle daughter and some other folks have indicated the graphic is busy. I'd like some more feedback on that so I can improve it.

One of the big things I wanted to depict was the lateral directionality of the corpus callosum connecting the hemispheres. The lobes of the brain do not connect diagonally. You can't get a full double dose of a function in the primary four. The plumbing simply doesn't allow it.

Imagine what would happen as an INFJ if you took permanent but non-fatal damage to the Left Back of the brain. The primary function irrevocably altered or smashed. What would happen to one's world? I wonder - and hope to never find out. :shocked:

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Worth noting that the brain isn't laid out in nice perfect quadrants like this. What Lenore Thomson has done is to show us the general regions where the functions are processed.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Imagine what would happen as an INFJ if you took permanent but non-fatal damage to the Left Back of the brain. The primary function irrevocably altered or smashed. What would happen to one's world? I wonder - and hope to never find out. :shocked:
I'd imagine it'd be much like a cat with it's whiskers cut off

If you understand what I mean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.