Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always considered myself to be a warrior. More than once, I've been told that I should be a knight in the middle ages, and that I was born in the wrong century. (Although one person said samurai) :crying:

Like most INFJs, values like justice and fairness mean a lot to me. But what is justice without the ability to stand up for the weak?

There were some people in my school that enjoyed hurting people. They were sadists. I noticed. I befriended the people that were getting picked on.

In high school, I decided I was going to do something to stop it. I stood up for the people getting picked on, and I started beating the bullies at their own games. I'd play mind games... I'd damage the bullies reputations... I'd explain to their friends and classmates that they were degenerates and sadists until the bullies mostly gave up on picking on my friends. Yes, I hurt the bullies in a way, but the bullying stopped.

As a result, I was attacked twice. One jumped on my back, striking the back of my head, the other tackled me from the front and tried to mount me to punch me in the face. I won both fights... I am a naturally peaceful person, so I won without hurting either bully.

Even so, I began to take martial arts intensively. I learned a very simple lesson... being able to use violence is vital in protecting not only oneself, but also others. Sometimes protecting others puts you in danger of violence.

There are people out there that enjoy hurting others (Sadists). There is also another class of people who lack empathy and wish harm either directly or indirectly upon people. They range from sociopaths, to just your run-of-the-mill racist or nationalist.

In a violent world, violence is sometimes the best answer to protect. To me that seems like a vital INFJ tenant. To me... my sense of justice tells me that some wars are worth fighting. Tells me that when warlords are starving thousands of Somalians that we should do what needs to be done to stop it. And sometimes people can't be convinced with diplomacy.

If this is so why do I feel like most people on these boards are pacifists? It seems more INFP to me than INFJ.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
There are a lot of people (to me it seems like most, but I have no facts) that just don't think about others much at all. It annoys me when people won't take a stand on something in principle because they don't want to "rock the boat". You know, go along to get along. I prefer to battle, and I pay the price.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are a lot of people (to me it seems like most, but I have no facts) that just don't think about others much at all. It annoys me when people won't take a stand on something in principle because they don't want to "rock the boat". You know, go along to get along. I prefer to battle, and I pay the price.
Plenty of people have asked me "where I get off" when I intervene in things that are "none of my business".

For instance, one time I stopped a bunch of guys from slapping a wimpering kid around in a locker room.

The answer is... yes... maybe I don't have all of the details. Yes... maybe it's none of my business... but even so I just can't stand by and watch. Because it wouldn't be right.

For me it's an issue of morality. And what would society be like if no one stood up for the weak? What would happen if no one stood up for justice or fairness?

Some people try to pretend that the Government or God should be in charge and that a mere man shouldn't be able to decide when to fight, when to intervene.

But I don't believe in God... and government has never been the end all.

Sometimes an individual needs to be a mechanism of protection... or even justice. I believe that.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I don't often have to break up that kind of shenanigans at my age but there are plenty of times I hear people spreading gossip or rumors without evidence or just dissing people behind their backs after having smiled to their faces. These are generalizations but this is the type of thing i find few will stand up to and say something. Some just join right in and others remain silent. Few speak up.

Reactions: Lady Nurture

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't often have to break up that kind of shenanigans at my age but there are plenty of times I hear people spreading gossip or rumors without evidence or just dissing people behind their backs after having smiled to their faces. These are generalizations but this is the type of thing i find few will stand up to and say something. Some just join right in and others remain silent. Few speak up.
Lol... I find myself gently reminding my friends of the opposing viewpoints so often... xD

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've found myself in a some what similar situation. Though I typically use my influence to prevent the bullying of others. Many people know of my physical prowess due to gym class... which I find funny because I have never considered INFJs as the big guy in gym class.

Anyway, I've only had to use physical violence once to help out a friend. It was at a Birthday party and my ENFJ friend (sociopath) was attempting to prove his masculinity by bullying someone smaller than him. So I used a rear naked choke on him until he stopped and tapped out. I regret that I used physical violence, I have bad experiences with physical violence.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
We need more people like you.

I usually step in and say something if there's a verbal assault happening.. if I could fight, I would get inbetween someone, but I won't lie, I'm afraid of getting the crap beat out of me LOL I'm 5'2, the general public TOWERS over me. If I was a 5'8 chick, heck yeah I'll physically step inbetween.

So yeah, kudos to you for helping the little guy and winning. None of my ex have fought before... LOL I always wondered in the back of my mind "if push comes to shove, would they be able to protect me?". I never wanted it to come to that, but something about a guy not being able to win a fight if it came down to it, doesn't make me feel so safe. I definitely work overtime to compensate so that it never comes to it.

In any case, I prefer guys who are non violent but I more so prefer guys who are not violent but could fight and win if it had to come down to it.

No matter what people say about diplomacy, when diplomacy fails... out comes the fist and it's a matter of power :crazy:

Reactions: Donovan

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
No matter what people say about diplomacy, when diplomacy fails... out comes the fist and it's a matter of power :crazy:
The "fist' is actually the easier thing to overcome. Social manipulation can be more devastating, and sometimes force is not possible. For example, what if your adversary is the opposite sex? I think that lies can do more damage than punches and can be harder to defend against and to stand up to.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I used a rear naked choke on him until he stopped and tapped out.
There's no better move than the rear naked. Do you take Jiujitsu?

I'm afraid of getting the crap beat out of me LOL I'm 5'2, the general public TOWERS over me. If I was a 5'8 chick, heck yeah I'll physically step inbetween.
Yeah, it's unfortunate... height really is important in fighting. Still there are a few moves that are just so effective (like the rear naked choke... don't worry, it's nowhere near as perverse as it sounds xD) that you could neutralize someone twice your size.

No matter what people say about diplomacy, when diplomacy fails... out comes the fist and it's a matter of power
We can use our intuition and our Fe to peacefully dissolve a situation I've calmed down my fair share of guys... but in high school and college... when imbalances of testosterone and alchohol come into play... :crying:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
The "fist' is actually the easier thing to overcome. Social manipulation can be more devastating, and sometimes force is not possible. For example, what if your adversary is the opposite sex? I think that lies can do more damage than punches and can be harder to defend against and to stand up to.
Diplomacy is the most difficult, but when it fails it comes to the fists which is easiest. Oppression is a condition enforced by the easiest option fear through violence or some type of force.

Never said that lies didn't do or couldn't do more damage. Most of the time when it comes to violence, things like rape, bullying etc... there's a psychological affect that can result from the violence as well.

Yeah, it's unfortunate... height really is important in fighting. Still there are a few moves that are just so effective (like the rear naked choke... don't worry, it's nowhere near as perverse as it sounds xD) that you could neutralize someone twice your size.
Yeah that does sound perverse lol Oh yeah I'm well aware of height and it's advantages LOL Imagine if somebody wanted to fight Runescribe (6'4) HAHAha so funny. I wish I was taller.... gaahhh!!

We can use our intuition and our Fe to peacefully dissolve a situation I've calmed down my fair share of guys... but in high school and college... when imbalances of testosterone and alchohol come into play... :crying:
Ofcourse diplomacy is always the first option, but there are times when it fails.... for numerous reasons, as you've listed above. In times like that, there isn't a brain you can communicate with, so it just comes down to overpowering somebody who obviously isn't using theirs LOL

Reactions: napoleon227

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah that does sound perverse lol
Well... you don't have to be naked to do it lol. If you get the chance... try to learn it... as a last resort.

Oh yeah I'm well aware of height and it's advantages LOL Imagine if somebody wanted to fight Runescribe (6'4) HAHAha so funny. I wish I was taller.... gaahhh!!
Ultimate Fighter (INFJ style) :mellow:

We'd stop every 2 minutes to check to make sure the other guy was okay. lol

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Well... you don't have to be naked to do it lol. If you get the chance... try to learn it... as a last resort.
I wonder what type of guy decided to name it a "rear naked choke". LOL what were they thinking?

·
Registered
43 Posts
i was never man enough to stand up to the bullies and confront them for their actions, but i always took my time hanging out with the bullied kids in my year. having said that, i wish i could've spent more time with those guys. my fraction of lunch periods i spent with them probably meant a lot to those guys.

nowadays, only time i witness bullying is a soft form at parties towards my isfp mate. my sadistic side kicks in and i just want to bully the fuck out of them, but i keep it under control and slowly shift the conversation into something else. i wish my isfp mate would stop saying ridiculous things lol

·
Registered
81 Posts
sometimes i wish i was born in the 1920's so i could have fought in world war 2. That war was sure worth fighting lol. Whenever im at a social event such as school, wedding, church, etc. im constantly scanning my surroundings and imagining people coming in with a gun and how i would stop them. I dont choose this, its just natural. I guess thats why infjs have the "protector" title.

I also do the p90x workout program. If you follow the program then that means on saturday you do a cardio exercise called kenpo, which means law of the fist. Its my favorite exercise because i get really into it and throw hard punches and kicks at the air while i imagine a sadists standing in front of me lol

·
Registered
132 Posts

I've taken some Jiujitsu but I was primarily an Aikido practitioner. I prefer the whole neutralize your opponent and not hurt him motto.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I know exactly how you feel.

In school I always nice to everyone and everyone was nice to me. I never cared about popularity or status quo, and for awhile, I assumed that everyone at my high school felt the same way. That is, until my last year, when I took biology for the first time.

Biology is a freshman class, but I moved to a new high school near the end of 9th grade, I never took it. So because I needed it for graduation, I wound up taking it during the first half of my senior year.

The class was filled with fourteen year olds, fresh from middle school, and unsurprisingly, most of them still had that immature middle school mindset.

So in that class, every day felt like I was stuck in a particularly painful after school special. Kids were teasing each other and gossiping 24-7. It was truly annoying. I mostly tried to stay out of it, but fate had other plans.

Who decides what is and isn’t cool anyway? Honestly! Is there some panel almighty of judges that decrees who’s cool and who’s a loser? (I suspect nargles are behind it :laughing:)

As it is, I always knew I was well liked, but to those freshmen, I could have very well been the homecoming queen. :bored:

One such freshman was a girl named Maria. Now, Maria, from what I understand, was the most popular girl in her middle school. She’d obviously felt that she’d been dethroned upon entering high school and seemed eager to clamber back up the social ladder as soon as possible. Maria was one of those girls who teases and spreads rumors about others to make herself seem more important.

And since I was apparently ‘the cool senior girl’ she made a point to kiss up to me every chance she got. The first time we got a seating chart she quickly laid claim to the seat next to mine. Sometimes she tried to gossip with me about freshman girls I didn’t even know, and acted like we were the best of friends. (I swear, I’ll never be able to get that chick’s lipstick stains off my backside) All of her friends/lackeys/zombies did the same.

Good thing it was only for one class period a day, or I would have gone nuts a long time ago. So Maria liked to tease/bully this one guy Landon, in particular. And because she bullied him, so did all of her zombies too. I could hear them sometimes during lab, whispering about how weird he was.

For awhile I just ignored it, not wanting to get involved with their stupidity. Till one day I decided that I couldn’t keep quiet anymore.

It was late in the period and most of the class had finished their lab assignment. Landon and his friend were sitting a few chairs away from me chattering about some TV show they’d seen the night before. (I think it was The fairly odd parents but quite honestly I don’t remember) I was sitting in my desk reading a book when Maria’s arrogant, snobbish voice broke my concentration.

“You actually watch the fairly odd parents?!” she sneered loud enough for the whole class to hear. I looked up from my book. Maria had overheard Landon and his friend’s conversation. She was standing in front of their desks, hands on her hips, a scornful sneer playing across her face. The ambient chatter of the classroom died down, as everyone turned to stare at the two boys.

I saw Landon’s ears turn pink. I closed my book and set it aside.

That did it…

“You watch the fairly odd parents?” I interjected brightly. All heads turned towards me. I grinned mildly at the freshmen. “No way! I LOVE that show!” I then cheerfully struck up a conversation on the subject with the Landon and his friend. After a few seconds, the class’s interest was deterred and they turned back into their own little worlds.

“Do you ever watch that show Maria?” I asked when I realized that the girl was still standing in front of Landon’s desk, looking not unlike a deflated pink, balloon. I see her mentally backpedaling at the question.

A moment ago, she’d been all ready to taunt Landon for liking it. But if I liked it, that meant it was cool. I’d taken the wind right out of the bully’s sails.

“I’ve never seen it” she admitted.

“That’s a shame” I said lightly as I opened my book and found the place I’d left off before the interruption. “It’s one of my favorites.”

“Oh” came her defeated reply, and she walked away. A moment later I again looked up from my book to see the two boys chattering about TV shows again. I noticed that Landon was sitting a little bit straighter in his chair. I smiled.

A few days later we had another seating change. I moved purposely away from Maria and her zombies and sat down next to Landon. We never got to really be good friends, Landon and I. occasionally I would say hi to him in the mornings before class, sometimes ask him what he did over the weekend, or the like. But even so,When I started talking to Landon, the bullying (at least in that class) stopped almost immediately.

·
Registered
43 Posts

I've taken some Jiujitsu but I was primarily an Aikido practitioner. I prefer the whole neutralize your opponent and not hurt him motto.
how long did it take you to get to that level? i did aikido for 6months and i found it was pretty impractical and just involved my opponent grabbing me first, which i wasn't keen for. the philosophical aspect however, was the awesome : ). flipping around the gymnasium like an acrobat was a blast also! i would recommend it to couples(since you always need 2 people to practice aikido). lol

·
Registered
132 Posts
I did it for about a 8 months as well. Though, my sensei was also a jujitsu practitioner so he did teach us some techniques and the fact that I do a little bit of wrestling helps :p.

I do agree with you about the impractical applications of Aikido but wrist control has been proven useful time and time again:tongue: .

And who can't enjoy the Aikido philosophy ????

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fa sho man. I'm a warrior. All day everyday. Never started a fight. But finished every fight. It's about the cause. The principle. We don't want to fight but if we must. We will. Another thing, when your at the point where your reputation truly precedes you. You will see that there is an inherent respect for you and the values that you keep. All of those who truly seek to tear down good things are afraid of not being the best. Honesly I could care less about being the best, therefore my fear is nonexistent and I'm free to be confident that every step I take will be not for me but for the cause that I choose to protect and serve.

Love & Respect

1 - 20 of 32 Posts