Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am an INFJ personality type looking for some advice about changing my major/career choice. I am majoring in Communications now, and I have an internship and an engineering company. I have 2 years left for my comm degree. I do not find the work meaning full or the classes intellectually fulfilling. Basically, I am bored beyond belief. The only thing is, in a few months I have been told that I will be editor of the college's paper, and I am a shoe-in for departmental achievement awards. I feel like these might be excellent tool to guide me after graduation.

However, I am considering switching my major to Classical Studies. I want to learn Latin and Greek so badly, and I find the material fascinating and challenging. I feel like it brings together a lot of the things I love--philosophy, culture, language, literature. The only thing is, my current school does not offer a Classics degree. I would have to take a semester off, apply elsewhere (which shouldn't be a problem because my grades are very good), and start over. I am just worried that this is too big of a gamble, and I've been told that what I major in doesn't really matter once I enter the job market.

Career goals that appeal to me right now are to teach either at the high school or college level, be a writer/journalist, maybe apply to law school, or work as a librarian/curator.

I would love a little advice.

Thanks,
Britta

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Welcome to the site :D

Hrmm... as for your question, that's certainly a tricky one. No doubt, it raises some redflags when you say you're essentially bored of your current field. That's something that can be particularly concerning, especially when you reach forward and think about nuzzling into a career related to it. At the same time, we also have to evaluate whether you're currently in that growing pains / grunt work sort of phase where you're bottom of the barrel, but things look better when you have more options within that same field available to you. Is it worth toughing it out? Is it necessary to?

As for Classical Studies, I also have some concerns about this one. I don't doubt you find the material particularly compelling for a number of reasons, but it also seems special interest with minimal practical use. In one sense, screw that as long as you find it interesting, but it's more complicated than just that as you're essentially resetting your academic career and paying $xx,xxx for it. Personally, I'd be curious about whether there were other avenues of exploring this in terms of side interest / hobbies.

All that in mind though, most degrees are so broad in scope that sometimes you can pick whatever you want and it will still do the same for you at the end... not much. In any case, if I were in your shoes I'd probably consider wrapping up the Comms degree since I assume you're already 2 years in plus it's reasonably relevant to your fields of interest. Perhaps sneak in a single classical studies course in every semester so you have something to look forward to during the week. See how the college editor gig goes as this could be sexy on the resume moving forward, and figure out what happens next in terms of career pursuits.

GL with whatever you decide though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts