Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

With a title like that I suppose I should start with some exposition. When I was little (say, 6-9 years old) I was a troubled child until my mother discovered a thing called the autism spectrum and then lots of things suddenly made sense. Eventually I was officially tested for aspergers. The way my dad described it, he saw a chart where I wavered back and forth between Aspergers and neuro-typical. I don't actually have the official result from the test but I have described myself as having Asperger's-Lite or borderline-Aspergers ever since.

Fast forward to freshman year in college (3.5 years ago) I take a school-provided Myers-Briggs written test. Before taking the test I guess that I am an INTJ, but when the results come back they report that I am clearly an INFJ. It makes sense, because Fe is pretty much diametrically opposed to some of the traits of Aspergers. I basically read the thing that tells me about my type, decide that I am actually really happy to be an INFJ instead of an INTJ (no offense to INTJs out there), and toss it into a folder and forget about it.

Okay now we arrive at this summer, where I am going into my senior year in college and am basically packing up my life as if I will not be returning home again once I go back to school a couple weeks from now. This past year I had a confusing/frustrating/traumatizing almost-my-first-relationship that launched me into a minor depression (6 months, pretty much over it by now) so I've been doing some soul searching since. So when I found my Myers Briggs test I looked it up online and have spent basically the last 30 hours (don't worry I slept for 8 of them) looking up stuff about being an INFJ, and then about being an INFJ with Aspergers which is apparently not unheard of but rare.

Don't think I can post links yet, but there's a wordpress post "INFJ Dating Bible OR: How to Date an INFJ" that made me ridiculously happy. and also a great youtube video I found of a guy basically just talking about being Aspergers and INFJ. And then I found this forum and read some topics on INFJs and INFJs with autism/aspergers and eventually decided to sign up.

Hm, what else. I have tons of experience with online forums, I'm way into Line Rider if any of you have ever heard of it and have been the admin slash guy who basically runs the only still-active line rider forum (We Ride the Lines) slash guy who posts pretty much more than anyone else for what is coming up on 6 years now so I've been around the block and stuff.

Oh and my username. I usually take the username rabid squirrel online, or baharv89 if it's related to IRL (because it's based on my name), but my random-stuff youtube account is sponge917 because when I was in 8th grade I sat between two girls (oh yeah I'm a guy I should mention that) who had a million inside jokes and I sat there and listened and absorbed them all like a sponge and after a relatively short time I knew all of them even though I didn't talk much, so they called me Sponge. (I'm still sorta friends with both of them actually though I haven't seen either of them in years) So when I signed up here I thought that sponge would be most appropriate because it's a website about personalities and whatnot.

So yeah I'm interested in getting to know people especially if you are INFJ and Aspergers because I feel like we are a tiny corner of the world. Sorry for the loooong into post. Cheers!

·
Mr. CafeBot
13,103 Posts
*You are hearing a robotic sounding voice coming towards you*

Greetings sponge917 and welcome to PersonalityCafe!! My name is Mr. CafeBot. I am here to personally greet you and thank you for joining our humble little forum. No matter your type, you will surely experience a wonderful time with the members of this forum. We cater to all personality types so you will never feel alone or weird. Truth is this forum is full of weirdos!! Pleazeee hel.... *Ahem*I mean we have the nicest people you will ever meet. :)

If you need basic forum information our newbie guide link is here...
http://personalitycafe.com/intro/2319-friendly-guide-newbies.html

To keep the forum entertaining and safe, our forum rules link is here...
http://personalitycafe.com/announcements/540-personality-cafe-forum-rules.html

If you need any help or have any suggestions, please let us know here...
http://personalitycafe.com/support-suggestions/

We will always be glad to help you!

Also don't forget to watch my music video...

Again, welcome to our forum sponge917. We hope that your experience with us is tremendously benevolent!

P.S. Meet my family

My Wife - http://personalitycafe.com/members/mrs-cafebot.html
My Daughter - http://personalitycafe.com/members/jenny.html
My Dog - http://personalitycafe.com/members/dog.html

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Yes, Fe does seem to be antithetical to Asperger's, and your type is incredibly rare on the spectrum, but there are some ExFx types here who have it and if that's the case, any type can have it :tongue: Hope you enjoy your stay, and find all of the knowledge and information you desire :happy:

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
greetings from a fellow AS individual.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
So when I found my Myers Briggs test I looked it up online and have spent basically the last 30 hours (don't worry I slept for 8 of them) looking up stuff about being an INFJ, and then about being an INFJ with Aspergers which is apparently not unheard of but rare.
Not so rare... I have probably seen at least 5 Aspergiac INFJs on the forums and am one myself. Long story cut short, I initially self tested as an INTJ but knew this was incorrect when I felt from a young age that I had been bottling up traumas from childhood-adulthood, requiring psychotherapy, many hours of self exploration, support at University to avoid personalising human behaviours (well a social-dyslexia skills mentor at University too) and more exposure to more positive influences when nearly all those around me refused to accept my autistic nature because they only knew the extreme end of the spectrum; hence the lack of acceptance or match to INFJ for 2 years*.

Welcome all the same.

*Well perhaps a longer story than planned :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, Sponge :happy:

I just joined yesterday haha. Anyway, I'm an INFJ but I have always suspected I might be "borderline Aspergers" as well. I wouldn't know where to get tested. The reason I think this is because I am socially awkward. I really don't have interest for small chat or topics that most people of my age group find interesting. I am sure there is more to it and maybe I am not as well informed about it as you are.

Anyway. just being an INFJ, I am very much alone in my city. I have never really had friends up until very recently and I am still waiting for that "close connection" feeling that I imagine people have with each other.

I don't want to say too much but if I said anything that sparks your interest, I would like to hear your thoughts.

Liked your post--I've been soul searching as well:proud:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome! I love the name and story behind it. :)
:kitteh:

Hi, Sponge :happy:

I just joined yesterday haha. Anyway, I'm an INFJ but I have always suspected I might be "borderline Aspergers" as well. I wouldn't know where to get tested. The reason I think this is because I am socially awkward. I really don't have interest for small chat or topics that most people of my age group find interesting. I am sure there is more to it and maybe I am not as well informed about it as you are.

Anyway. just being an INFJ, I am very much alone in my city. I have never really had friends up until very recently and I am still waiting for that "close connection" feeling that I imagine people have with each other.

I don't want to say too much but if I said anything that sparks your interest, I would like to hear your thoughts.

Liked your post--I've been soul searching as well:proud:
Hello and lovely to meet you!:happy: Don't worry about typing too much, as you can see I am fond of long posts (reading them as well as typing them) I was able to develop communication skills through text via online forums around the time I entered high school, and then was able to apply it to verbal communication with previously undiscovered success (which was extremely empowering and exciting at the time) so I've had a tendency towards long posts ever since then.

I had a conversation with my mom a few hours ago and it turns out that I was actually officially diagnosed with Aspergers in fourth grade. The wavering line that my dad remembers was from the school system's test, which was skewed and not accurate and stuff. (because the teacher had worked on resolving issues as best she could and then the test would ask things like "how many times TODAY" and she'd have to answer zero even though she knew it was clearly an issue) So it turns out I am definitely a confirmed Aspie (though less severe than some). Yay self discovery. She also said I can take the tests that they kept in the attic with me when I leave.

Anyway, social awkwardness is definitely something that Aspies struggle with. Small chat is typically unappealing because we find it incredibly difficult. I found it impossible when I was younger. Nowadays, I can manage it but it is exhausting. I could talk for hours on all the things that Aspergers has meant for me, but the basic summary would be sensory processing differences that created roadblocks in development of social skills. I had to learn the nuances of social behavior consciously (self-teaching with some help) instead of understanding them intuitively. The stuff about INFJs being able to read someone's body language super easily? That didn't come naturally to me, but once I figure something out and see/use/experience it in action, it kind of feels like it clicks and I get it (but I have to consciously figure it out first)

Goodness I am rambling even more than usual. I am happy to talk more but I will stop for the moment. If you are wondering if you have Aspergers a good way to get a general idea is google "Aspergers Test" and click on the first one "Take the online Aspergers Test | Aspergers Test Site" I scored an 86 yesterday, 82 is the threshold for "probably" and like, above a 76 is borderline or something like that IIRC

As far as feeling alone / close connections... I am lucky to have a relatively wonderful family and for a while my sister was the only one I had that kind of close connection with. Nowadays though I think there are maybe two more people in college who I have that with, but it has taken two or three years of knowing them to get to that point, and I never really had that with anyone in high school. Something I found that I really like doing and am really good at is listening to others - being a thoughtful confidant, I found, while it wasn't as nice as that close connection, helped a lot, and is kind of the first step towards the close connection (it was the first step in both the close friends I have today!)

Okay. long post done.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
I have Aspergers, dxed long ago.. I don't know my official mbti. welcome

Reactions: StElmosDream

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
My view would be that while Aspergers may distort the way Fe presents itself so that it may not look like Fe to an outside observer, but it is still Fe.

One of my childhood friends has aspergers, though neither of us knew that until he was an adult.
I bumped into him once and he told me, and it was like "well, that kind of makes sense"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts