Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Morning all.

As somebody who is (apparently) fitting the INFJ stereotype of being an intensely indoorsy creative-writer, I thought it might be quite the insightful process to put the feelers out and ask the writers of the INFJ community to come forward and share a little about their literary endeavours, regardless of how great or small they may be (I'm sure there'll have been another thread like this). I think sticking to the following format might work nicely:

• The title of your book/books/series
  • Your chosen genre
  • A very brief synopsis of your book/books/series
  • When you began writing
  • Your progress thus far
  • Why you began writing, and what inspired/inspires you to do so
I'll get it started.

Title: Thicket and Sands: Tales of Two Brothers

Synopsis: A tale of two easy-going siblings who live a wandering odd-jobsmen's lifestyle in the woodland region of the country they live in, Edan, until a particular event one anomalous summer afternoon presents them with a new heading in life. Set in a middle-ages, Tolkien-come-Ghibli-come-Pratchettesque world, with all the conventions of classic fantasy writing, but with the heart and humour of an animation/cartoon.

Start date: Spring 2016

Progress: First draft of Book 1 (of 6/7 planned) complete, currently editing, then printing for Alpha readers around Christmas 2017

Why writing?: I've always cared deeply for animation, character design and world-building, but only ever explored such ideas through art and illustration growing up; back in 2015 (when the project first began) I originally wanted to begin planning my own animated series, but found that to be a difficult thing to start, what with being a lone creative type. I tried scripting and other ways of starting the narrative, but felt it didn't properly encompass the entirety of the project I had in mind (which was inspired up until that point by existing artwork, specifically a couple of simple doodles that would go on to become the two brothers, Thicket and Sands) and so I tried my hand at writing a novel, and fell in love with the process. There are autobiographical qualities to the book (the kind that always seem to pop up in any author's writing) which stem from my relationship with my younger brother (INFJ-INTP relationship) and they ultimately inspired me to begin writing in the first place. I'm looking to create something quite warm with lots of humour, but also to create something that gradually darkens as questions of morality and existentialism come into play further down the line.

If this thread gets any interest, I can't wait to hear what you're all working on :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm currently writing a business report that I started last Friday. Every week I'm hired to solve a riddle for which there is no definitive answer. My reports are roughly 100 pages in length, and the process is much like writing a term paper that gets critiqued by other riddle solvers when it is finished. I'm self-employed, and a bit of a guru among my peers. Prior coworkers call me frequently for help solving their riddles. This give me great satisfaction.

Most of my day is spent alone at my desk where I collect data and interview industry experts to formulate my opinion. The process requires a thorough understanding of complex financial formulas, as well as a keen awareness of constantly changing trends in human tastes and preferences. It is a blend of art and science that is governed by a strict ethical code for which I am frequently tested. Many efforts have been made to automate what I do, but computer models fail to accurately quantify the human element. These models and other data can be manipulated by corrupt individuals, hence the ethical requirement. The other riddle solvers I work for prefer human interaction when they are trying to understand complex solutions, so I'm not particularly concerned with being replaced by technology.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Buoyant Oh wow - that's a very different first response to what I was expecting.

How satisfying do you find being so involved with data and research? I can see how you find satisfaction in exploring human behaviour (as you described with analysing trends and preferences), but I personally would struggle with data being the objective/practical element of my work, and curious to know more about your own views and preferences in that respect.

Thank you for contributing!

·
Registered
301 Posts
@Buoyant Oh wow - that's a very different first response to what I was expecting.

How satisfying do you find being so involved with data and research? I can see how you find satisfaction in exploring human behaviour (as you described with analysing trends and preferences), but I personally would struggle with data being the objective/practical element of my work, and curious to know more about your own views and preferences in that respect.

Thank you for contributing!
The data I research is interesting to me, so it is satisfying enough to keep me motivated. Like a lot of INFJs, I'm pretty close to a T. The research can be mundane at times, but it is not the most challenging part of the job. I struggle most with my writing being criticized by other professionals. I'm very much a perfectionist with well-supported reasoning, so it is pretty rare when I make a major mistake in my writing. Still, it is always in the back of my mind.

Being INFJ is a tremendous asset in parts of my job and writing. People lie to me every day trying to manipulate my reports, and I see right through them. I often enjoy this conflict. Many in my profession test credibility by asking questions for which we already know answers. We're like detectives, but this skepticism takes its toll over time. Most of the elders in my field are a crusty bunch who become jaded and cynical people overall. I was born that way, so no worries here. I'm frequently asked to predict future trends in human tastes, preferences and demand for products in my reports, which is another skill INFjs are particularly good at.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
The title of your book/books/series

But . . . but that would blow my anonymity, and I couldn't post here in my preferred carefree manner. :rolleyes:

Your chosen genre

By a curious set of circumstances, all of my published work (eh, something like 9 books, if you include second editions) is nonfiction/history, but in two very distinct and unrelated areas. But I'm just as competent (very!) in fiction, drama, and poetry.

A very brief synopsis of your book/books/series

Um...um...um...scientific history and social history as the specific situations developed. If you can make sense out of that, you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

When you began writing

Childhood.

Your progress thus far

Splendid. Recognized worldwide as a leader in one subject, and beginning to make my mark in the other.

Why you began writing, and what inspired/inspires you to do so

No idea. It just comes out, and I like to be helpful.There's an inner urge that insists on my carrying a message to others. With poetry especially, it's like I'm a medium letting something speak through me.The words just flow. It's insane. It's a kind of Fe reaching into a spiritual world.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I started writing as a teen and I did a lot of fantasy fiction just because I love the genre. After I started working, I write a lot less on a personal basis because I write so much at work as it was part of my job. I feel that I lost a lot of passion for writing after I started working, what a shame.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I started writing as a teen and I did a lot of fantasy fiction just because I love the genre. After I started working, I write a lot less on a personal basis because I write so much at work as it was part of my job. I feel that I lost a lot of passion for writing after I started working, what a shame.
That is a shame! I know how you feel though - I didn't start writing until I was 23, got half of Book I out of way relatively quickly, but then work began taking too much of my energy and I slowed right down.

Do you write at all now?

·
Registered
400 Posts
That is a shame! I know how you feel though - I didn't start writing until I was 23, got half of Book I out of way relatively quickly, but then work began taking too much of my energy and I slowed right down.

Do you write at all now?
I tried blogging but not often. I kinda lost inspiration and feel lethargic now.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Blogging feels different to writing, somehow. I can start a blog full of enthusiasm, but then it quickly peters away.

I write, since I COULD write, since childhood, and even before that I told stories. I don't stop... (I learned to read and write quite late, at about 7).
I've had a couple of things published but again, would prefer anonymity.
Current book is developing slowly, I have to find energy and time for it in between all the other things in my life. But I think of it as "cooking". Raw ideas sometimes take a long time to develop into scenes or characters.
The book is about 3/4 done, but needs a lot more work.
Research on bits and pieces for the book also takes time. Some things are easy to find out, others not.
(For instance, something I have not been able to find out much about is how bodies in the sea decompose!)
Genre I guess is something between science fiction and a rather dark humour, with hints at horror.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Haha :D Would you care to share why?
I don't even know why. I journal every day ironically, but anytime I hear about a project report or any kind of paper I can think of 100 other things I'd rather do. I'm supposed to be writing the background for my lab report right now. I don't want to :confused: at all. At all.

·
Registered
89 Posts
SO....hi!
I dont really know if I wanna write here the title cause it feels like...copyright or something? :'D i MEAN, I havent published my book, it isn't even near ot be finished but I have a clear image of the future I expect for this book so...Idk, a weird feeling :'D
Synopsis: Distopic world. Global warming, earthquakes, etc. The main character, a girl (she's supposed to be INFJ xd), was recluted by an association (it has name but you know, the copyright feeling xd) who theoretically want to help the world by training children who will help people. But It happen to be a group of scientists who "improve" genetically these children for reasons she still does not know. They make them like..."superhumans". Well. 3 years later (the book starts here), one night, for no apparent reason, the people of this association try to kill every child.Our girl run away and try to find a organisation which she heared about, XXXX. She want revenge and justice etc. This organisation attacked in some occasions the camp where the girl was so she guess they will be able to help her.
And here the plot start to develop xd
She will discover what the association wants, what XXXX is, how to change the world (? etctec I have SOOOOOOO soooo many ideas omg I'M SO EXCITED FOR THIS PROYECT.

The genere is like...dystopic and OVIOUSLY, I want to include love cause I CANT WRITE a story without love. (although It pretend to be secondary)
When I began to write: PFFFF! omg...I was sooo little. I remember what I wrote and it make me cringe :'DDD seriously, I'm ashamed of reading my old things. Some of them are so fucking horrible.
I began to write this one in summer 2016 (and basically I dont keep writing until this summer xd college sucks :laughing:)
My progress
in general? It has been BIG.
When I was a kid I draw comics, and I traslated these comics to stories. They were hilarious...or at least I thought so xd Then I wrote my first """novel""", it was a entire summer immersed in this story. It was about fantasy and love...a LOT of love. LOT. Like 7 boys to ONE girl. I WISH I WAS JOKING. i'm not. I rather not analize psycologically why I wrote that. Seriously, I wrote rubbish. And I'm not exaggerating.
Then I wrote a novel set in Scotland. About love. Of course:rolleyes: I wrote quite stupidities too, but I was improving. HEY! This time there was ONLY ONE BOY for the girl! ONE! WOHOOOOO :sighlol:
I wrote one more...and, oddly, I'm not embarrased of this one xd I mean, I wrote like 20 pages, but they were actually cute.
*NOTE: any of these stories are ended, or near to the end xd*
Then...I started to listen One Direction...and...I DONT REGRET ANYTHING:kitteh: I started to write a blog, a fanfic. I wrote...well...some dictionaries are still crying but I improved a lot. I got obsessed with writting those years. The chapters were very very funny (I even surprised myself...the blog became very very popular xd) and It was a relaxing and hilarious way to write.
In a moment I got stucked in a chapter...Two years later, 2017, I still fight to write it :'D
But the blog gave me confident. A lot of people loved my style and I was so so excited xd
I wrote another story..."Surfing in the love" (you can search it but if you're not spanish you arent going to understand a shitxd) and I posted in a forum. It became very popular too, but there was a thing... The girl was supposely between two guys *A VERY ORIGINAL THING I KNOW :'D*(although I knew who she was in love for)...until my sister said the girl should end with the other. And I had basically a existential crisis xd somedays I still get back to that crisis. Ah...Jake vs Mike. Hard decisions :tongue:
However, in that moment I wrote a lot better. I can read it without wanting to change my name. I even could continue it. Who knows...
Since that story to the one I'm writing now there have been others little projects...which were never finished. RIP L.R.W.N.P.P. (little romantic without-no-plot projects):exterminate:
And one day, when I hadnt internet and it had been FUCKING HOT I felt the necesity to write those feelings. Hot, tired. So...desert, a girl who run way...AND TADAAAAAM! Thanks summer, your hotness inspired me!:kitteh:

(If you are still reading...THANKS<3 you deserve 7 boys/girls for you<3 :'D)
And what inspire me??
EVERYTHING. It's beautiful in fact. I see a film, a romantic or deep film and all those feelings invade me. It also inspire me reading books. When they are great and when they are shit. When they are great I'm like "I WANT TO BE LIKE THIS" and when they are too cliche, or I get disgusted by something I feel the necesity to ...make justice? Also, the things I can't express with words irl I write them. I write my values, my experiences, my thoughts...So I'm my characters in many ways.

AAAAAAAAAAND i'm gonna finish now...'cause it's late and my ENTJ sister has just arrived from a party and if she see me awake she is gonna tell my mother THAT BITCH! :laughing: so BYEEEEEEEEEE! (inexpected final:tongue:<3)

PD: SERIOUSLY SORRY FOR THE GRAMMAR. I probably will come to fix this post tomorrow <3

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I write to ease my troubled mind... usually about everything. I like sad stories in particular.
Interesting - do you find that what you write is a direct expression of your troubled inner-world, or do you use your troubles to shape and craft something quite different? If that isn't very clear, the distinction I'm trying to make is between exploring your troubles on paper, or using your troubles to inspire a separate idea (I'm more about the latter personally, but base my writing on something other than my troubles).

Thankyou for contributing!

·
Registered
433 Posts
I've certainly done that in the past, though the expression of troubles tends to be in poetry. For me, poetry is usually a form of therapy. I wonder how many other people do that?

·
MOTM June 2012
9,333 Posts
  • The title of your book/books/series

In the Hard Season of Life.
    The other one I'm keeping a secret since it's still in the early stages, and I'm not sure about what to call the novel.
  • Your chosen genre

Literary short fiction. The other book is non fiction/self development, and the novel is historical fiction. I have other ideas, but my main focus is literary fiction.
  • A very brief synopsis of your book/books/series

In the Hard Season of Life is a collection of short stories set in what TIME magazine called "the decade from hell," the years after 9/11 through 2010. It deals with people in turmoil, in crisis, and in hard situations. From a young boy numbed by the violence in Juarez at the height of the cartel killings, to a couple wrestling with their feelings as they await Hurricane Katrina, to a man dealing with divorce, unemployment, and chronic pain set against the backdrop of the 2008 recession, we see people confronting loss off innocence, lost love, mental illness and addiction. We see that trauma happens to all people; young and old, men and women, gay and straight. We see people pushed to their breaking points, and then pushed a little further as they enter the hard season of life.

The nonfiction book is in the early stages, but it's a fresh look at two different worlds that have more in common than one might think. By examining their similarities and going through case studies of the giants of those worlds, lessons emerge that can be applied to both.

The historical novel is a coming of age adventure story set during The Golden Age of Piracy.
  • When you began writing

About 10 years ago.
  • Your progress thus far

There's always more to learn, but I've had a few stories published and finished second place in a short story contest. The collection of short stories is about 70% done. The other two books are in the early stages of development.
  • Why you began writing, and what inspired/inspires you to do so

I realized I was very good at it, but never really thought about it seriously until I read Henry Miller's Tropic of Cancer and it made me want to become a writer. I was drawn to the short story form, and wanted to study that specifically since it's the hardest form to write in outside of poetry. I might have read more short stories than I have novels at this point. It's a very demanding form, but that's what I like about it because it pushes me to become a better writer.

Reactions: Dalien

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
By a curious set of circumstances, all of my published work (eh, something like 9 books, if you include second editions) is nonfiction/history, but in two very distinct and unrelated areas. But I'm just as competent (very!) in fiction, drama, and poetry.
[/QUOTE]

Odinthor, what is your subject area? What are your books?

Reactions: odinthor

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
I'm currently writing a business report that I started last Friday. Every week I'm hired to solve a riddle for which there is no definitive answer. My reports are roughly 100 pages in length, and the process is much like writing a term paper that gets critiqued by other riddle solvers when it is finished. I'm self-employed, and a bit of a guru among my peers. Prior coworkers call me frequently for help solving their riddles. This give me great satisfaction.

Most of my day is spent alone at my desk where I collect data and interview industry experts to formulate my opinion. The process requires a thorough understanding of complex financial formulas, as well as a keen awareness of constantly changing trends in human tastes and preferences. It is a blend of art and science that is governed by a strict ethical code for which I am frequently tested. Many efforts have been made to automate what I do, but computer models fail to accurately quantify the human element. These models and other data can be manipulated by corrupt individuals, hence the ethical requirement. The other riddle solvers I work for prefer human interaction when they are trying to understand complex solutions, so I'm not particularly concerned with being replaced by technology.
Riddle-solver (I know if it were me I'd prefer Riddle-Master) is a modern profession? Yay! Can you give an example-- not a real example-- but maybe hypothetical of what a possible riddle for you to write about would be?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Odinthor, what is your subject area? What are your books?
Re-quote Odinthor's reply properly and stick an @ before his/her name if you want a response :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts