Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious what you guys think. How ambitious/driven/motivated are INFJs?

I would say I'm pretty ambitious. Usually my drive kicks in full out when I'm fighting for some valiant cause.... But overall, I think my high ideals ultimately push me to achieve them, because those romanticized goals are just so tantalizing, you know?

The most ambitious people I know are ENTJs, INTJs, and INFPs.

You guys?

-Nicole

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I think we're ambitious, but in unorthodox ways. We tend to think 'organisationally'....what can make this firm, process, business better for the people in it. Our ambition tends to be driven idealistically from motivators like that - rarely does money alone or status alone figure as a prime motivator.

I would say ESTJ and ISTJ are the most driven, ambitious types. In my limited experience, these types ARE more motivated by status, power, wealth et al. - I remember one ESTJ manager once telling me I had to regard people as a resource........I simply could never reduce people to the level of copier toner.......but he was the one they promoted!

Funny old world!

·
Registered
864 Posts
I can be ambitious if I'm 'in my element.' When I was in a sales job, there was no ambition at all. They wanted me to view people as walking purses, and I had 0 care for the company. But if you put me in a job that is harmonious with my values and I'm helping others, I'll move the moon to make stuff happen. :laughing: (Well, I'll try anyway.)

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'm not ambitious in that I want to be top dog in a company or field. I don't care about being the top nor do I want to defend top dog status. I'd much rather be well known and respected.

However, I AM ambitious when it comes to creating something that will make something work better for everyone else. I have huge ambitious dreams of making many systems at work easier and more accessible for people. Most of them will never come to pass, but I spread the idea around so maybe someone who has the connections will take up my cause.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm very ambitious when it comes to the things I care about, but I struggle to force myself to do things I don't care about. Also a fatal flaw to my ambition seems to be that I have to know every possible following sequence of events before taking a single step. In other words, I won't do A without being aware that I'll also be choosing B, C, and D etc. So sometimes my need for plans keeps me from moving at all, paralyzing me. Still working things out lol

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I'm curious what you guys think. How ambitious/driven/motivated are INFJs?
I was until about age 19.

I have no ambition or drive now. I enjoy work and take pride in things I do there, but I have nothing personally invested in it... I could be fired tomorrow and I would think, "At least I get some time off now... wonder how I'll pay the bills?"

For me it all comes back to "what do I want from life?"

For the longest time now this answer has been, nothing. This is either the best thing ever, or the worst. I'm still figuring out which it is.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I would say that I am pretty driven to an certain extend. If it is something that I have a passion for, than I will pour my soul into it. However, if it is something that I am doing just to do it, than if something goes wrong or gets side tracked, I will lose hope and give up.

·
Banned
956 Posts
I feel I am very ambitious in a personalized way.. Nothing like NT's or T's in general, I think. Hopefully it is rewarding in the end..

·
Banned
379 Posts
I feel I am very ambitious in a personalized way.. Nothing like NT's or T's in general, I think. Hopefully it is rewarding in the end..
agreed. i have managed to set lofty goals for myself however. i started a business because i was sick of the corporate america mentality and work style. i went to grad school and earned my masters. i have been fairly ambitious at all my previous jobs but i always hit a point of boredom and move onto something of more interest.

T's in my interest can delve into pursuits much deeper and further. esp NT's. something i greatly admire in NT's. i need a personal element to really keep me motivated. sometimes boredom will be enough to keep me motivated.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I guess I'm slightly ambitous in the sense that I always strive to be better at what I do. I want to be something more than just average and ordinary, and I can't be happy if I only do things halfheartedly. I also don't want to be one of those people that are only concerned with their own lives. I want to make a difference to other people! I don't care about status and power for it's own sake. I have never fought for any of the positions I have held, in fact, most of them have rather been pushed on me. I guess I'm one of the most lazy ambitious people I know. :tongue:

·
Registered
197 Posts
I can say I'm pretty ambitious when I'm working for a goal I'm passionate about. I tend to make a lot of future plans and work toward achieving the bar I set for myself. Attaining success is desirable...if done the right way. I do not like using other people as a mean of "resource" to get what I want.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I am extremely ambitious and have a lot highly idealized goals for myself...whether or not those goals actually come to fruition is another story. ;) I think I used to be a lot more driven than I am now, and definitely used to have less of a 'defeatist' attitude when I was younger. Now that I know more about the world and how difficult it achieving my dreams could possibly be, I tend to shoot myself in the foot before I even get started.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I'm ambitious in that I like to set up goals for myself, and reach them. I'm not really driven by wealth, status, or power so much as a desire to do what I love As far as motivation and drive go, I have quite a lot of both - I want to achieve something; I know it's up to me to earn it. While I don't normally give myself much praise, I do know that I'm fortunate enough to have a very strong work ethic. Yes, it's nice to get ahead and get promoted, but I'd rather do so by being ethical and treating people respectfully rather than cutthroat, as well as by being good at my job. My father did it that way...he could always look at the big picture, he treats his employees with respect and empathy, no matter how los on the totem pole they are, and he doesn't get ahead at the expense of others.

I've always wanted to go about my career the same way. It won't bring me wealth and power (you don't really go into my career field for the money or the status), but if at the end of the day I can still say I enjoy what I do and I've treated people fairly, then I'm happy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My ambition seems to come and go. I find some cause to fight for, or come up with one of my brilliant plans;) And I find myself with two jobs, night classes and too many people wanting my attention. Lol. Then I just have to coast for a while, you know? Recharge my batteries, I guess.

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
I am ambitious but not at all competitive. I have things i want to do, and do well. I just finished building a new greenhouse fro scratch - And will be adding to the interior all winter - and I am near crippled with arthritis. So I have endured a lot of pain -and it was worth it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Always been ambitious and driven, and yes to be wealthy - not purely for material possessions but for the freedom that wealth brings with it. Freedom to create and invest my money/time into more noble and charitable pursuits and create a legacy that both my children and I grow proud of.

I have never worked for anyone instead choosing to run own businesses from leaving University. Started with a design/advertising agency and moved on to buy a convenience store and set up an online takeaway ordering portal. Over the years I have drafted up countless business plans, although I have only taken a few of them forward. Got another art/design business that is INFJ focused which I'm trying to make a start on (more a personal pastime/hobby that might make some extra £££) and I also enrolled in a Personal Trainer course earlier in the year but it's finding the time at the moment to pursue these… especially as I now have my kids four days a week and also need to fit in my training/workout schedule around it all.

I must admit the ambition/drive has waned somewhat in recent years, more a frustration of the lack of drive, ambition and work ethic in the people I work with (in particular the third party companies that I have to deal with in order to run my current businesses). This coupled with the limited time I have to develop new projects and build on current businesses often mean the drive can sometimes go completely… as some have already mentioned, the amount you give yourself to do can be so much that it ends up paralysing you and as a result you end up doing nothing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts