Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's say an INFJ is working together with an ENTJ on a project, what recommendations would you give the ENTJ to create a better working environment?

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
ENTJ's are the coldest of all the types. I wonder how an INFJ deals with that. I don't know any INFJ's so it's difficult to imagine how these 2 work together. I do know some ENTJ's. They focus on the job, not on the person.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I like when I would meet the person to discuss the project (don't order around or take over rather suggest and ask for an opinion), agree on an outline with a set of responsibilities for each and timeline to meet again to finish things up. If there is a problem or a new idea I prefer to be called or an email sent early in time to make changes, last minute things are very annoying. At least for me I like to finish things early and never last minute. Hope this helps. :happy:

·
Registered
945 Posts
Oh please God Nooooo!!! thats about how I'd feel,..lol.
Ok, sorry, seroiosly though, I think its best to sorta leave INFJ to their own devices. Discuss what needs to be done, apportion it, and then just leave em alone. INFJ will really go to pot if you look over their shoulder, chivvy them, or try to give 'helpful' suggestions. We really really really like to just get on with our stuff quietly. You really dont need to do much more than explain whats to be done, and then let us get on with it.
If we need help or advice, i reckon most INFJ will ask for it, but otherwise best just leave us to it..
and oh erm.. yes,.. dont look at us ok? If ye have to look at us, do it from a sideways stance,.. and dont make loud noises or creep up on us,.. we may just explode into tiny shards of flying shock all over the office.
yep, that just about covers it.
G. x

·
Registered
836 Posts
personally, I am a leader only when no one else steps up to the plate. if people are being wishy-washy, and vague, i will quickly speak up and start to control the situation.

so usually, with an entj, i am comfortable to follow as they take control of the project, and provide a detailed way of accomplishing that project. they enjoy leading, and are good at it.

i do not enjoy being micromanaged. so give me a task, what you want done, and when you want it done by. no need to check up or supervise me. whatever you have asked for will be done when you need it.

i am cold in a work environment. i do not need to have everyone in a project in agreement. that said, i abhor conflict. if a conflict starts in a group environment, i will step in and be the diplomat.

all and all, i think the entj and infj would work fairly well in a project - provided they aren't at odds opinion-wise. if they have differing opinions, one would guess that both types, being stubborn, might not react well to each other. however, the infj is pliable and likes to get along with others. they would at least attempt to get along with the entj.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Tis a paradox

a pardox I tell thee sane world

I decree entjs to be a mere figment of their own imagination

and I runs off with sexepot goodewitch into the late sunset at my latitude

latitude wicked are you inferring they no not the meaning

tooters of to snort some mushrooms

aye too be true GW their a shady bunch

·
Registered
241 Posts
Agree very much with Moonlight and SarahWilliams - tell us what needs to be done, give us a timeframe, leave us alone to organise how we go about it. Trust us - knowing that we are trusted and depended on to a do a good job, we will do so. If its a long project, I would suggest weekly meetings in the diary upfront to touch base. the infj will note any issues and come prepared to ask for guidance where/if necessary. having it already in the diary is easier, as I know - cos I hate being interrupted - I find it a bit difficult (or lack the assertiveness sometimes) to just march up and ask at what might not be a convenient time.

i had an entj manager and it was a match made in heaven...we can take criticism so long as its not personal, we are perfectionists as much as you are and want the best.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
it depends though...

If an INFJ looks stoney, quite or reclusive, it means that they are still uncomfortable at eh work enviornment, most likely will not be at eh job very long... we tend to eventually leave any stressful situation we have to deal with...

lol... ahhh... so many relationships... so many random insights... so many boys pissed off...
thats another story though.

If the INFJ is very social and charming and random and loveable, they are probablly okay for now.
honestly if there was a way to let them take some breaks away from work for like a couple of weeks to a month that would be great... we are okay with independent projects at this time, or projects of a creative nature, but in all reality it just depends on how "personal" the people contact is.

I worked in retail, didn't like it very much because the interaction with the customers was so superficial.

I would rather have some kind of personal people job, and more importantly something creative with those people.

If you are fun to hang around though and you make work fun, we can be SOOO productive and loyal to a company, we can also subtly get other people to be loyal to the company as well, also good at putting out personal fires and seeing where conflict will arise...

yep. thtas all I can think of right now, so I will write this.

I am not really too sure how working would be for me... I know if I got to see close friends when I worked that I would be more involved with my work and also if I could lead in some areas I would (secretly) like that too.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I had a boss who was ENTJ. He was one of the best bosses I have had up to date. I always knew what needs to be done and where we're heading with the project and I liked this enthusiasm, his dependability and openess. We'd have meetings 2 times a week then I could go and work on project on my own pace and time, which is really my preferred mode of working. I also liked brainstorming different further possibilities with him.

One problem was that he always thought his ideas are so grand and was really good salesman of them. As a result he ended up 'selling' me some not so good ones, ideas that I felt were not going to work but encouraged by his enthusiasm I gave them a shot and ended up wasting time - should have followed my instincts instead. He was most interested in "wins" rather than "losses" so I often felt like negative feedback, saying that something isn't going to work, wasn't really welcome by him. Some of my objections were countered by the "lets just do it and see *smile*" response. When I said something doesn't quite work because of this or that he would stare at me with this look on his face that conveyed "but it was my awesome idea, it has to work".

I also like meaning in my work. It is not just about completing tasks and getting a salary, it is about the bigger picture - how does it all fit in? Who or what does it benefit? It is important to convey this sense of meaning to INFJ, then we will work harder. Bonus points if you can also relate it somehow to welfare of a group INFJ cares about or people in general.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I find that once you convince an INFJ that a goal is necessary, he will work his subtle magic to make it possible. I'm always surprised at the manner in which an INFJ will make something happen. When it comes to something basic, like constructing something, that does not involve a social system, I take over the project because that sort of linear thinking is my forte.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
In my own experiences, I've worked best with ESTJs and ENTJs, especially ESTJs.

I agree with what people have said so far about leaving the INFJs own to their allocated tasks. Did you have a specific event or issue in mind?

Some things straight off the bat: be sure to be clear on what the tasks are and how often you should update each other about the progress. As J types, this shouldn't be a problem. I've had issues when my work/tasks weren't clearly defined, especially when working together. I work best when things are clearly defined, so I can work my part of the task to near perfection. I prefer to work independently (i am heavily self motivated) then regather on a regular basis to update group members about the progress, and just use that time to develop new ideas.

and validation is a key. It doesn't have to be all emotional, but any type of positive validation on the progress is good. It could be just a simple "this looks great so far." Also, when you are offering constructive criticism, be sure to explain logically how others may feel about it. This seems paradoxical... i know. But basically... if someone offered me negative feedback saying "This is not effective and therefore it should be changed/you should consider changing it," i'll feel kinda crappy, i dont know why. But if someone says "This is not effective because some people might feel that this is impersonal and therefore you should (consider) chang(ing) this," then it is both logical and personal.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have a teenage ENTJ son, let me give this a whirl.

--> I will move mountains if I believe in what I'm doing, but send me an email saying, "awesome job" or "great idea" peppered here and there, and I'm unstoppable. I ask for very little in return. Seriously.

--> If I get "shut down" or called out cruelly & publicly when my heart's into what I'm doing? Prepare for war....er I mean uncooperation. (If an issue needs to be discussed...always in private)

--> There are things I flat out suck out, I will (in private & with a poker face) freak the hell out, if one of the things expected of me is a serious weakness. If the INFJ person seems to be dragging their feet on an issue...privately ask if there is something you could do to help on it. Appreciated BEYOND belief.

--> Other than the point above - leave me to my work. I've got this. I do all of my best work off in my office with minimal interruptions. IF interrupted, pressured, or expected to give updates too often...I tense up every muscle in my body, my mind blanks, productivity plummets, I get emotional, hyper-critical, & I quit seeing perspective within the project. (And I start eating TUMS like candy).

--> Don't put me on the spot in a meeting. If I start stuttering, flailing, all blood leaving my face, it's not because I don't know the answer. Mind Blanks. Save the poor person & ask if they can get you the answer after the meeting. Usually this helps me relax, & no more mind blanks!

---> INFJs beat the hell out of themselves (they don't need help)

---> INFJs can go into more detail than you're interested in. Sorry.

---> INFJs don't do office politics. AKA don't know how. This may explain many oddities you don't get.

---> How freaking awesome that you're going through the trouble to go online, go to the INFJ section of the forum, & ask a bunch of INFJs who like to wax poetic, advice. (Don't spoil it by telling me your motive...let me sit here in delusional awe...I need a win) :crazy:

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I had a boss who was ENTJ. He was one of the best bosses I have had up to date. I always knew what needs to be done and where we're heading with the project and I liked this enthusiasm, his dependability and openess. We'd have meetings 2 times a week then I could go and work on project on my own pace and time, which is really my preferred mode of working. I also liked brainstorming different further possibilities with him.

One problem was that he always thought his ideas are so grand and was really good salesman of them. As a result he ended up 'selling' me some not so good ones, ideas that I felt were not going to work but encouraged by his enthusiasm I gave them a shot and ended up wasting time - should have followed my instincts instead. He was most interested in "wins" rather than "losses" so I often felt like negative feedback, saying that something isn't going to work, wasn't really welcome by him. Some of my objections were countered by the "lets just do it and see *smile*" response. When I said something doesn't quite work because of this or that he would stare at me with this look on his face that conveyed "but it was my awesome idea, it has to work".

I also like meaning in my work. It is not just about completing tasks and getting a salary, it is about the bigger picture - how does it all fit in? Who or what does it benefit? It is important to convey this sense of meaning to INFJ, then we will work harder. Bonus points if you can also relate it somehow to welfare of a group INFJ cares about or people in general.
Disregard this post. I didn't know enough about MBTI back in May when I posted this. This boss was actually an ENTP not ENTJ.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Disregard this post. I didn't know enough about MBTI back in May when I posted this. This boss was actually an ENTP not ENTJ.
May? Oh man, I've seriously got to learn to pay attention. 4 months later....

Reactions: Black Rabbit

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
May? Oh man, I've seriously got to learn to pay attention. 4 months later....
Imho is fine to resurrect old threads that are asking for some general advice on relations between types, in fact better than starting new threads. It collects information in one place so people can easily find it with the search function.

·
Banned
1,637 Posts
Love ENTJs, but they can be a little intimidating. I think you should be honest and nicely tell him that you are having trouble with a few things.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Hmm, I'm currently dating an ENTJ. He's romantically challenged, but I think it's because his mind is too focused on business and how to make more money. It's always money this, money that, and I need more money--since I told him I have no interest in money other than the neccessary, he doesn't aggressively pull me into his various jobs and ideas. All he has required of me so far is a patient ear and some inputs when he's finished telling me about his newest projects.

There were some times when he'd unwittingly try to draw me into his plans--but so far, I have been successful in stopping him. I noticed he's controlling in a subscious way--but since I don't like to be controlled, I often have to point out how he's being controlling and why he should stop. Once again, success so far.

So basically, talk me like I'm your equal or you won't get any cooperation from me. I can be as stubborn as you can be pig-headed--trust and believe!

Other than that, ENTJs would make the best bosses.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's ironic that this was one of the first threads I made when I thought I was an ENTJ. Creating threads like this seems more like an INFJ thing to do in retrospect, or maybe Fe for that matter.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts