Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As an INFJ I find lying quite satisfying. I'm a good liar and I do it quite often in many situations and I can't seem to stop myself from doing it. I know it isn't healthy but it feels really good sometimes for me. For example I find great satisfaction in greatly screwing people over secretively and watching them deal with the consequences while I laugh at them from afar and know that they will never suspect it's me. Can other infjs relate to this or am I a complete psychopath?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I am learning to lie; but only because it has a right time and a right place. That is not always... I believe having to always lie is going overboard.

Screwing people up secretly and laughing at them from afar... is something I'd rather not do. If I started enjoying doing so... I would know that there is something wrong with me. I believe it would be an inner desire of mine though - something I can attribute to my own shadow (psychologically speaking)... Still, a life where I'd have to lie often would not be the kind of life I'd want to live. I just want to learn how to lie casually when I need to. Surprisingly I can be a pretty good liar when I put my mind to it and despite the fact that I feel a myriad of emotions from fear, guilt, and a sudden impulse to remember what my lies were and to think up quick things to bridge them if I need to or redirect questions if need be, a lot of people don't seem to notice that I do feel such things at all.

Lying has many benefits. Apparently, those that know how to lie can climb the career ladder pretty quickly and succeed in social endeavors more than those that don't. Lying is particularly helpful when you need to escape certain situations without others needing to know the truth and needing to know that you're covering up the truth LOL.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
OP wouldn't be the first, nor the last INFJ to be a compulsive liar

I used to know one who lied to my face and then did the opposite of what they said they would

I also knew another one who lied in very subtle ways just so they wouldn't have to say what they were thinking, it was pretty cute to be honest

so yeah, INFJ liars, YMMV

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
To da psychos: grow da fuck up noobs grow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobsgrow da fuck up noobs

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm good at lying. I don't find it particularly enjoyable or satisfying but if needs must I don't have a major objection to it either. I think INFJs trait goes with the skills that lend itself to being able to lie convincingly. The attitude to lying is based on many other factors aside of personality type.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I only lie when telling the truth would make people worry about me unnecessarily.
For example when a child asked me who is my best friend, I made up a name since I don't have one.

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
I only lie when telling the truth would make people worry about me unnecessarily.
For example when a child asked me who is my best friend, I made up a name since I don't have one.
I use to do that growing up. But sometimes it's okay to let people care about you. It actually proved difficult as an adult to rectify learning how to create healthy boundaries and communicate my needs and wants effectively.

I don't like lying and at a really young age I felt the wrath of lies and manipulation against me. So my strategy has always been to be as transparent as possible so no one will hurt me. Like you wouldn't shoot someone unarmed would you type of premise. Sometimes I will tell funny lies I ALWAYS confess to down the line when appropriate like telling someone something so I'm not caught being ridiculous. While you might be inclined to think this manipulative, I assure you, in real life it's not that cool. It's along the lines of Lucille ball ridiculous so anyone who gets bent out of shape over my antics (IMO) seriously needs to lighten up. I'm insanely harmless, but not stupid. And there's always a reason for things I do and say (most times). Not saying they're always good reasons. But they're always innocent and silly and on occasion sharp or clever. If there were no method ... There'd be no madness.

Reactions: rambleonrose

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I try to tell the truth as much as possible. I usually only lie when I know the trith will hurt someone... Not big on lying; I find it hurts more than it helps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So what most of you are saying is that lying is not an inherent trait of INFJ but its to do more with other factors? I'm an enegram 6w5 if that has anything to do with it (maybe I'm doing it to cover my insecurities?) I really dont know ... thats why I came here for help

·
Banned
1,780 Posts
So what most of you are saying is that lying is not an inherent trait of INFJ but its to do more with other factors? I'm an enegram 6w5 if that has anything to do with it (maybe I'm doing it to cover my insecurities?) I really dont know ... thats why I came here for help
Everyone lies, but not everyone lies to your degree.

I find great satisfaction in greatly screwing people over secretively and watching them deal with the consequences while I laugh at them from afar and know that they will never suspect it's me.
^That's not something I see myself doing ever. I don't find satisfaction in screwing people over, it doesn't sound healthy.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I lie when it suits me, I'm not one to "never lie." But I don't lie to screw people over. People I have reason to screw over normally have far more to lose from the truth about them being known, than risking lies.
Fucking with someone to watch them squirm doesn't sound very empathetic.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Lying is one thing, but the problem is you're doing it to hurt people on purpose. It's the hurting people on purpose you should focus on, not lying itself.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have a reputation if not being able to lie.

I can lie and have.. but it makes me very ill. In fact giving any twisted version of truth that decieves stresses me out. People know this.. and how I try to just rrmain silent in regards to important info. If they think I know something.. they ask very direct questions. And to be silent would be to admit the truth they are looking for. If I say something.. its always taken at face value ni matter how ridiculous it sounds. It is nice to know I have that influence and sometines tempting to use.

I know how easy something like that can become if you open the door. And how easy reputations are made. I dont want a reputation as a dishonest man. I like to be the retort of, "Fine then, dont believe me.. ask Joe. You know he cant lie."

I do like to ponder the abilities of a good lie..

They say a good lie has a bit of truth. I believe the best lies are % 99 truth with a hint of dishonesty for minor effects into the right direction.

If I want to cause someone verbal harm to someone.. all one has to do his quote historical actions with the right tone and order while not displaying obvious motives. If someone suggests a motive say, "yeah maybe.. but.." and point out a contradiction somewhere.

Repetition.. not to same person.. and not even same circle. Just to a few people in separate circles that sometimes overlap. So people start hearing news from multiple sources.

I like to sometimes think of ways to lie.. strategies..

But its always pointless. Normally if I lie.. its because at the time I believe the truth could actually cause harm to a person and Im pressed for answers. Or it will bring too many hands into a mix with good motives but clueless and Im a better fit to deal with problems(Im kind of an egotisticle control freak),

Experience says that lieing always causes extra problems in the end though. And they haunt me. I need my daily conversations with God.. and I cant do this when I feel disgusted by my actions.

Its like the spider man deal.. with great power comes great responsibility. Knowing how easy it is to do something makes it all the more important to rephrane. Kind of like nuclear weapons.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts