Personality Cafe banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Schizophrenia, severe anxiety, Multiple Personality Disorder, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Depression, Anorexia (Binge Purge Subtype.)
Are you self-diagnosing?
Schizophrenia cannot accompany MPD. Its textbook psychology. Schizophrenia takes years of therapy for an precise diagnoses, save for rare and compelling circumstances.

·
Registered
30,772 Posts
From the article sited by @sentilopis: "Frequent disregard for rules, laws and other forms of behavioral standards is common, as no function provides any significant sense of external influence"

They say this as if it's a bad thing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am quite easy to hurt in the feelings department. Besides that I lack interest to be social (as it drains me dry in a few hours) and I get easily jealous/nervous. I don't know if it is fitting enough to label all INFJ's like this (not everyone's the same) but we tend to be a bit messy feelings/mind wise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had phobic anxiety growing up which morphed into generalized anxiety disorder in my high school years. I also would have bouts of depression and I think i may have mild OCD. I used to feel like I was going crazy all the time when my anxiety was really bad and I couldn't perceive reality well; I was basically trapped in my head. Now it's sorted out though and I have pretty solid control over it but it's hard always having that voice in the back of my mind warning me it could always come back.

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
I had phobic anxiety growing up which morphed into generalized anxiety disorder in my high school years. I also would have bouts of depression and I think i may have mild OCD. I used to feel like I was going crazy all the time when my anxiety was really bad and I couldn't perceive reality well; I was basically trapped in my head. Now it's sorted out though and I have pretty solid control over it but it's hard always having that voice in the back of my mind warning me it could always come back.
Wow! That is a remarkable struggle to have gone through. I can't add anything really except to say thank you for sharing, and welcome to what may be my favorite community ever. :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Definitely depression (clinical?) as it comes in waves and often without good reason, just a general slumping of mood, outlook and self esteem usually accompanied with isolation. Haven't been diagnosed officially, but I can feel and recognize the signs clearly, sensing that at times, I'm just not me. There is some sort of an imbalance in the brain and it's not rational. And then anxiety. The odd day being unable to get out of bed due to the prospect of dealing with the world being too overwhelming and feeling your senses completely shot. I was very socially anxious when I was younger but have managed to improve drastically in that regard. It comes with getting older and learning through many trials and realizations to care less, and pushing aside that voice telling you what people might think. Embodying a social persona that you feel comfortable and proud of, which for me is a hard worker, with a healthy sense of humour and sarcasm. People still have an effect on me, though, even just their presence raises stress levels an amount that's undetectable to the outside world. If someone brings up mental illness with me, they'll have my empathy and understanding. It's not something that shouldn't be dismissed or downplayed. Yet it seems to be perceived as a feeble excuse to some.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Well, come to think of it, it may be just that these 'disorders' are what shape these personality types. Disorders and mental illnesses are terms used relatively to statistics that point, that certain types of cognitive behavior are more common amongst the majority of the population in a given area. It just so happens that in many first world countries, these people are called 'normals'.

Behavioral modification and drugs, with the money they cost, surely scare a lot of people away from breaking the status quo.
Also feeling helpless.
The side effects prescribed by the analysis of such illnesses and their manifestations, may also help with this too.

Perhaps if that weren't so, many of us would have these 'disorders', maybe without the side effects that come when they are thought of as devilish mind maggots by a majority. Would be quite norm for people to have these kind of problems then, as many are having other kinds today, problems nonetheless, that seem to be very rational when percieved as taking place in a global cultural level.
A butterfly effect forms where, the mental illness or mood disorder, form side effects being caused to some point by enviormental and societal factors. The so called system of living, at the moment, formed to maximize life efficency world wide is incompatible with the cognitive properties of some people and the feeling they perhaps get from the lack of a clear alternative, further strenghtens this effect. Ofcourse much more complex cases of illnesses exist, with factors too deep, i can't even.

Maybe in some country in Asia or Africa it's hell wierd, if you aren't an 'intuitive' or have a kind of thought process that complements the structure and mechanisms of a modern country, where the majority of research and statistics about mental health usually take place.

At any rate, moving away , I used to be diagnosed with ADHD when i was a kid and i do remember having countless sleepless nights where i just wanted to have fun and play. In a real loud way.
At school i couldn't handle sitting in one place. The boring dry lessons about what happened when and how it shaped our great country, the pedantics about grammar, the strict way in which one can show what he has learned from class, these things really bored me. I understand their significance and the help they gave me as information to ponder on, but at the time i cared only about exploring what hidden secrets and feelings life around me held.

Docs gave me pills, was just ten years old, eventually through a number of psychoanalytical sessions,i learned that i am influencing people around me badly and my behavior is not appropriate. I got that, i understood it, i wasn't gonna change it, because i hadn't seen one kid my age, feeling bad when interacting around me and that was pretty much enough for my child mind to call it bullshit. The pills though i never really got, i didn't like what they did to me.
Sure they calmed me down, but not a mellow kind of calm, more like a full lack of enthusiasm to do anything.
This spiraled down after that, as i used to have good grades at school, my behavior and impatience towards the educating system was what was a bad thing. Having no determination and enthusiasm i didn't even try to learn after that, i just wanted to continue on sitting around waiting for something exciting to happen instead of getting tuned to or making something happen myself.

Bad grades, drugs, shadow friends, cheap love, unshared thoughts, are what then lead me to be labeled bi-polar.
The truth is though, i'm not having a hard time with these things, sure it's confusing at times, gut wrenching, makes me wish i was dead sometimes, made me attempt to be, even... but having such mental characteristics unlocks a potential for a good life guide.
Stoping the pills and starting to search for new kinds of excitement, knowledge and friendly emotions, really made me realise, just how ineffective these 'disorders' can be with a little bit of hard personal work.

I can not talk about more serious illnesess, so do not take my word for being true about all mental disorders.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is no causal effect of personality on the development of mental disorders/mental illness. To suggest so is irresponsible. To take self-reported fad disorders as truth shows a pitiful lack of understanding of human nature. Also, the Myers-Briggs test and extensions are not inate characteristics of a person - they are a very limited, time dependant description of a few beheviors, meaningless in most appliacations these emperical test results are put to. All this forum is entertainment with a little flavor of psychobabble. Ask any reliable professional.

There is an effect on the answers to such test instruments by mental disorders/illnesses, but not enouh to be diagnostic. A person suffering from schizophrenia cannot think in abstract: obviously, this has a profound effect on any test he/she might take. Even with medication, these major illnesses have a serious effect on thinking.

So you have the cart before the horse. The illness may define the personality, to a certain degree, but personality is not a precurser of any mental syndrome. I have seen a lot of post where someone with no obvious understanding of the subject is playing one upmanship by claiming another is inferior and liable to be struck by a mental disorder because of a score on a non-standardized personality test. This is putrid behavior, and woefully ignorant.
I was disappointed to see this user has been banned.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts