Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that, while reading and watching movies/TV, I'm very interested in characters and not too interested in plot. Also, if I don't like a character - even if that's the point of the character - I tend to not like the book. For example, cousin Eustace in the Narnia books. Recently, a friend was asking me about the Dune series and why I liked it, and I went on and on about the characters. My husband was asked the same question, and his answer covered many topics, though it mostly focused on the science fiction of it since he's an INTJ.

Does anyone else do this?

Also, has anyone read The Unbearable Lightness of Being? I'm reading it right now, and It's very character-driven.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've done it with most things I watch. Notably, Game of Thrones & Dexter.

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
Yes. The plot could be excellent but if I don't find a connection with any of the characters then it's not as interesting to me.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yes, I've noticed this. I do care about plot too, but I just don't find the story meaningful unless it has great characters along with it. My favorite stories tend to be focused around characters. The Wire, for example, surely would've bored me to death if they hadn't developed their characters. haha

Ah, yeah. I don't know how often this happens, but I can dislike a show or something if its characters are unlikeable. I really couldn't get into Strangers With Candy. I tried. I even watched every episode. I know the point is to not like Jerri (I guess?), but I can't get past her character. I enjoyed Stephen Colbert in it, though. I can't think of any other examples off the top of my head.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Watch the Walking Dead, it's best from the first episode to the present for the full character affect.
Oh, yes, yes I do to some degree. I also can idealize the show/movie and fill in the gaps where it fails, if I like it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I started by watching Walking Dead, and then I started reading the graphic novels, and I actually like the show better because I think the characters are stronger and better developed (gasp!).

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I've noticed that, while reading and watching movies/TV, I'm very interested in characters and not too interested in plot. Also, if I don't like a character - even if that's the point of the character - I tend to not like the book. For example, cousin Eustace in the Narnia books. Recently, a friend was asking me about the Dune series and why I liked it, and I went on and on about the characters. My husband was asked the same question, and his answer covered many topics, though it mostly focused on the science fiction of it since he's an INTJ.

Does anyone else do this?

Also, has anyone read The Unbearable Lightness of Being? I'm reading it right now, and It's very character-driven.
Same here. I don't want the plot to be completely ridiculous or underdeveloped, but, overall, it's not really my focus. I'm all about the characters. If I can't connect with at least one character, then, no matter how amazing the plot is, I'm just not impressed or all that interested. Conversely, if I do connect with a character (and what happens in the plot doesn't ruin that), then the plot would have to be undeniably, "not-even-I-can-rationalize-its-suckiness-away" bad to lose me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts