Personality Cafe banner

INFJ's and Psychology/Sociology majors in college.

[INFJ] 
9K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  viva 
#1 ·
Is it just me, or do a lot of INFJ's major in Psychology/Sociology in college?

Do you think the INFJ is the perfect type suited for Psychology/Sociology?

I personally want to major in Psychology.

#4 ·
I studied Science and did some Psychology. It was too wishy-washy for me after doing straight science, but maybe it was just my professors. They were pretty lazy.

I like the idea of Pschology, just not sure if it's for me as I can see all the faults in the research methodology and it seems unethical to pursue the research if you know it's faulty. Of course I can't speak for all of Psychology, this is just my experience.

I think it's very powerful if you do it the "right" way.

#12 ·
Eekkk!

Maybe it's how Psychology was presented at your university? Get them in and hypnotize them with Freud!

The university I went to gave a brief overview of the wishy washy side (eg, freud, jung, psychoanalysis, MBTI - :tongue: etc) but clearly stating that this ISN'T psychology. They put us into statistics headfirst. It was like a filtering system to get ride of all the people who wanted to study it's wishy-washy past.

These last few years have been nothing but pure research methods, statistics, and psychometrics.
And the term 'qualitative' is banished, banished, banished.
Kind of sad because we never went over ANY counseling and I would like to focus more on the political/sociological side, which is hard to do because of all the variables that come along for the ride!!!
:unsure:

#5 ·
im not sure how this relates to most infjs.....

but i have a degree in psychology with a major in sociology......so i'm definitely a stereotype!

it would make sense to be in these kinds of fields considering we are intensely interested in people and relating deeply with others.

#8 ·
Yep, I'm a psychology major right now, and I'm minoring in Political Science, which is kind of like Sociology in some respects. I'd like to get my PsyD or PhD after I'm done with undergrad.

#10 ·
As I'm in Fine Arts, there are a certain number of studio and Art history classes that I have to take. But all of my electives have been Psychology. Strangely enough I'm in my first Sociology class at the moment and I'm absolutely loving it!! When I was young I was always into what makes a person tick etc..I'm hoping when all is said and done that I'll be an Art Therapist!

On a tangent...I've met a guy who is majoring in Sociology and Political Science. Completely awesome!! Which makes me very curious about his personality type. :laughing:

#11 ·
I also got the feeling that a lot INFJ are into Psychology. I also was counseling a therapist who majored psychology a while ago who was INFJ, too.

So speaking of me, I also plan to major Psychology, but can't because my high school graduation marks aren't good enough, what means I have to wait several years to get into that. Still I use to go to lectures since I started to study informatics two years ago. But I realized this major isn't the thing for me, so I'm going to learn Nurse and afterwards go to university again.

#13 ·
i'm extremely interested in sociology and psychology. i was majoring in human services, taking this semester off. :tongue:

i think it may be a common trend for INFJs, but i think it would be moreso for the people on here, because i personally spend all my time on perc looking for patterns and how relationships work and how people interact... i think the INFJs posting on here are interested in people and finding how they tick, as well as self discovery... which to me easily ties into these two majors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.