Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering about the typical self esteem of an INFJ.

I know that we are very prone to perfectionism, and that may be a cause of my low self esteem. But, am I the only one who has very poor self esteem, self image, body image, and self worth?

On a scale of 1 to 10 for all those things, mine is about a 2! Pretty sad!:sad:

Just Wondering!

-Katherine

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used to have very low self esteem, but over the years I've learned to overcome it to a certain extent; it may be easier for me because I'm a guy, and therefore do not have to worry about the "standard of beauty" (which is bull). I say this too because of the two INFJ girls I know, both of them either had or has horrible self esteem, only ever changing once they were in a relationship. So no, you aren't alone.

·
Registered
395 Posts
No, not at all. Unless we're the only ones, but I doubt it. I look at myself and it's like...ugh. And then I go on random trashing myself sessions, I've trashed myself so much that I've made me cry, it's kind've pathetic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I dont ever give myself an objective grade... even if I was good looking I couldnt accept that, because things could always be better, and if I take credit for something like a compliment then I feel like the biggest douche. So low self esteem is fairly common although it probably shouldnt be I have much to be thankful for.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Self esteem is how much you believe you're worth? To someone, to yourself etc
I don't have low self esteem at all and I don't know if mine is high. I think it's not there or it's neutral?
I cut things off that make me feel low. In classes I used to always hand my work in late because due to time constraints it ended up messy and tiny and not presentable (to an audience) but to myself, I'm always proud and satisfied with it

·
Registered
305 Posts
My self esteem isn't too high, but I've realized I'm too hard on myself and try my best to think of the good things about me rather then the bad:laughing:

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
Nope, no self esteem problems for me.

I do set myself high standards, and usually reach them - I got back two A+ grades last week, yay! - but I also sometimes fail miserably. It's not fun, but I tend to laugh about it and start looking for the silver lining.

From failure comes opportunities for improvement. :happy:

Or the potential to really really fail next time! :laughing::crazy:

Reactions: unico

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm confident in voicing my opinions, I think it's and INFJ trait (along with a few other types) that we know we are right about alot of things that are objective, and I always have good reason why I believe in something subjective.

But other things such as interacting with new people, I am not so confident. I don't know if they'll find my jokes funny, I don't know if they'll listen to me when I'm telling a story. I'm always very quiet around a whole group of new people, except in work and school situations because I know what I'm talking about :p

My self image is ok. I'm very short and when I was younger (17-22) people used to joke and tell me I looked 12. This made me feel very un-womanly! But I just try to wear classy sexy clothes to make up for my lack of curves lol! I don't wear much make-up but it would probably help me in looking older lol.

·
Registered
378 Posts
My self image is ok. I'm very short and when I was younger (17-22) people used to joke and tell me I looked 12. This made me feel very un-womanly! But I just try to wear classy sexy clothes to make up for my lack of curves lol! I don't wear much make-up but it would probably help me in looking older lol.
I'm short and skinny too, damn objective beauty standards to hell... my self-esteem atm is around 4-5 maybe? It can't really be quantified.. my sense of pride can also become defensively self-righteous sometimes when other people are attacking me... I would say I have even lower self-confidence though which I experience as being slightly different. I have enough self-respect to not be taken advantage of but I also lack faith in my virtues and abilities.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I was just wondering about the typical self esteem of an INFJ.

I know that we are very prone to perfectionism, and that may be a cause of my low self esteem. But, am I the only one who has very poor self esteem, self image, body image, and self worth?

On a scale of 1 to 10 for all those things, mine is about a 2! Pretty sad!:sad:

Just Wondering!

-Katherine

Hi Sweetie,

I'm not sure of your age but I can assure you that "Physical, Emotional and Spiritual: Self Esteem" does get better and higher with age. I am 37 years old now and can remember back when the change happend for me, and it was a little past high school and college days.

Why and how... exactly this happend, for me, was because I actually started seeing the entire package of life and becoming proud of myself for "being different." Before - it almost appeared as if "everyone wanted to be in that same little box" and if you were any different, you might as well have had a "big red zit on your nose" that never went away - social pressure. (My high school kids are going throught that whole mess now.)

But, after this... people start seeing your different way of being, as a real asset. (You start setting the tone for morality, greatness and inspiration.) The last half of your life will be backwards, from everyone else... and it that a good thing. Because, on the average, people's lives start to going downhill, filled with regrets and second guessing; they start to question everything they did in their lives.
--- You have already done "all that work." So, for you it will be smooth sailing from here. :wink:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I'm probably my harshest critic but even with that my self-worth comes from within and I don’t need affirmations from others about it or my abilities. So I usually look and feel confident from afar just don't get me in a social situation I have no idea where that person goes and self-conscious person comes but it is not about self-esteem anymore. :confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have got shokingly low self esteem, i don't see myself as worth anything to anybody,
this makes my life real difficult, i am constantly trying to be as perfect as possible for my partner,
which only makes me feel worse because often i will find myself pleasing him by making myself unhappy,
i also suffer panic attacks, and anxiety attacks, cry on an almost daily basis...

·
Banned
26 Posts
Totally relate to your post Katherine.

I have extremely low self-esteem- I find it hard to even start on my assignments because I think it will never be perfect so there is no point even attempting it!!

I have horrible body image as well- People are constantly complimenting me and it feels nice when they do and I am fine when I look in the mirror but when I am alone with my own mind I have never felt beautiful, and walking down the street I feel that everyone is judging me and talking about how horrible and strange I look.

I also frequently suffer from social phobia and am not confident at all with what I am saying around other people, however when I am by myself I never second-guess my own opinions- I just struggle with expressing them to others.

I don't know if this is all due to past experiences (I did experience some SLIGHT bullying when I was about 12) or my personality type.

I hate my perfectionism as it has the oppisite effect and makes me think constantly I may as well just give up because I will never be perfect....

Reactions: Bobrobob

·
Registered
802 Posts
My self-esteem seems to fluctuate. Sometimes I feel pretty good about myself, but that's usually when I've been challenging myself to step outside of my comfort zone and I'm feeling victorious for having done so, or when I've taken the time to nurture myself as much as I do everyone else around me.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I've never really had any issue with esteem
I discovered myself, much earlier than most people
and there was hardly any room for esteem issues.
But being a skinny Black girl, hmm..quite something there.:frustrating:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Maintaining self-esteem for any type is hard even if it doesn't always seem that way on the surface. I suppose knowing that I'm better than others has always given me a little extra boost, as bad aloud as that may sound. Also achieving new goals that I never thought I could accomplish always helps. Beyond the usual cliques that's all I got.

This is my first post...yeah!:tongue:

·
Banned
26 Posts
I don't know how many other people get this but often feel like I take on everyone elses emotions and let them wear me down. I can't stand anyone else being unhappy, which has led me to have major depression since I was about 14 (I'm 19 now), because I am constantly getting depressed about all the problems in the world, all the people starving, and hurting each other and being miserable and it's something I have great difficulty getting over. I suffer from major depression and anxiety attacks because of this but it's something (although it makes me miserable) I find it hard to just swith off because so many people ARE STILL so unhappy in the world. I'm not sure if anyone else gets hung up on this kind of stuff anymore, it doesn't seem like many people do...

·
Registered
402 Posts
eeee! I either feel like I am doing everything correct in my way.. or that everything is wrong in my way and to others.. it's actually always wrong in their way.
I do not have a self esteem at all, maybe.. or maybe it's prominent since I think of it so much... but it's actually really, really, really low. I cannot even begin to explain in words at this time.

me = "ohh I am around my closest friend.. it's 90 degrees outside.. which is more than what I weigh in pounds.. but my arms are not perfect and thin enough to wear short sleeves..."
"someone sent me something that they're interested in.. but I feel forced and I can't pay attention.. now I am thinking what to say so they don't think less of me x: I don't even have interests like how other people gain them very much"
ect

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Is "negative" an option? No really I have extremely low self-esteem.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts