Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think about synchronicity?

I sometimes get glimpses of patterns and symbols in my life, when things happen that give me a sense that I’m part of a puzzle, and everything around me is happening just as it should be.

This week I discovered something that was such a huge coincidence that it seems meaningful. I also saw a bad situation act as a catalyst for several positive new connections. And I witnessed a very rare and dangerous event that happened spontaneously.

I know they're just events, without any causal relationship or inherent meaning. But it all gives me a sense of awe and amazement. Inspires me to express my creative side.

Reminds me of this song, that I adore: [video=youtube;qdvbfv8i7OI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdvbfv8i7OI][U[/video]

Life is such a trip sometimes. :happy:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I usually can interpret symbols and meanings in structured works of fiction, but life? I think that life is pretty much just pure chaos, and we humans are doing are best to make sense of it and set up some system of order.

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just reading some more about cognitive processes, and found this awesome description of Introverted Intuition, that make a lot of sense of things like deja vu, synchronicity and finding meaning in things.

Being the primary function of INFJs and INTJs, I'd hazard a guess that they probably get these 'Aha!' moments quite frequently.

Anyway, I thought I would paste the description in case anybody was interested...

cognitiveprocesses.com said:
Introverted iNtuiting involves synthesizing the seemingly paradoxical or contradictory, which takes understanding to a new level. Using this process, we can have moments when completely new, unimagined realizations come to us. A disengagement from interactions in the room occurs, followed by a sudden “Aha!” or “That’s it!” The sense of the future and the realizations that come from introverted iNtuiting have a sureness and an imperative quality that seem to demand action and help us stay focused on fulfilling our vision or dream of how things will be in the future. Using this process, we might rely on a focal device or symbolic action to predict, enlighten, or transform. We could find ourselves laying out how the future will unfold based on unseen trends and telling signs. This process can involve working out complex concepts or systems of thinking or conceiving of symbolic or novel ways to understand things that are universal. It can lead to creating transcendent experiences or solutions.
PS. I'll paste this post in the deja vu thread as well, as I think it fits there.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Synchronicity seems to be a reoccurring theme in my life too, I feel like these kind of realisations play a significant role in helping me find a sense of meaning and direction in life, especially regarding people- forming strong connections I never thought were possible and perceiving how once in a lifetime opportunities suddenly arise as a result of certain things clicking and falling into place.

Makes you wonder how even if everything around you is a hopeless mess, it may be happening for a reason you just haven't noticed yet- in a nutshell, as a catalyst for new understandings. It may not necessarily reflect any fabric of objective truth or reality, but the way I make sense of the world involves identifying with certain symbols and patterns. INJs are probably most aware that everything is just perception- even if it's just "making order out of chaos", it still feels very inspiring at times bc you're constructing your own little narrative from a kajillion different interpretations which exist in the world. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
(repost from another thread... hope that's ok!)

I often have a song going through my head when I hop in the car, turn on the radio (or change the station) and find the song playing, at the same verse I'd been hearing in my head.

Once someone showed me how monkeys open bananas... from the bottom end (I was surprised how much easier it was than ripping it open by the stem). That same week I came across three different people doing the same thing, though I'd never noticed someone eating a banana "backwards" ever before!

Whenever I have intense deja vu I always feel like I am on the right track. When I meet a stranger I that I feel like I know very well, he or she always ends up being an important part of my life.

But those weird events...

I went to the home of a family I was working with (I provide support to kids w/ LD and special needs), they lived in a hilly neighborhood in redwood trees, so the roads were very curvy. As I parked in front of their house, I got the crazy feeling I shouldn't park there, and pulled the car in reverse. After traveling about 3 feet the feeling subsided and I decided I was being silly. I went inside. Less than an hour later, outside playing with the baby, I heard a tremendous crash. You can see where the story is going...

A woman had fallen asleep at the wheel (4pm! with her kids in the car!) and careened into the car two cars in front of me, knocking the first into the next car, which luckily had its wheels curbed, ending up up on the sidewalk less than 6" from my front bumper!!

This was maybe two years ago. Last weekend, I decided impromptu to travel to a client's house early and have my morning coffee in the cafe next to their house. Halfway there I got a text from another client who had locked their handicap accessible minivan's keys inside (I had an extra set to use to pick up the kids) just two blocks from where I was!! I stopped by, unlocked it to cheers and went about my merry way.

Later that very afternoon, I decided to stop by my friend's house before his Memorial Day party to see if he needed a ride to the grocery store, to find a guy buzzing the neighbor's door. He asked if I knew the neighbor (I did), and told me he found his wallet on the bus and was trying to return it but nobody was home! Come to find out, my friend had postponed his party so I came by for no other reason than to make sure neighbor got his wallet back!

Pretty crazy stuff!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Synchronicity is a special, secret obsession of mine.

Ive been keep notes and documentation, IMO of my most meaningful synchronicities for the past 6 years. I developed quite a few theories regarding the subject.

I highly recommend creating a synchronicity journal and keeping it for yourself, for personal introspective use. It will come in handy when you're doing the habitual soul searching that plagues our minds from time to time.

·
Banned
956 Posts
I find this to be extremely interesting...! I've thought about how synchronicity has played out in my life for a little while now and it's the strangest / most elating / eeriest / suspicious / wtf? moments ever!

I remember this really creepy occurrence that happened to me about 3-4 years ago. I was a sophomore or junior in high school. I've had a history of self-injury before and this was around the time that life became much more lonesome and bleak, etcetc. One morning I woke up to my phone vibrating - apparently I had received a text message. I didn't need to read it a second time when I realized that the phone number was MY phone number! And the message, though I can't recall precisely, said something along the lines of, 'Stop hurting yourself!.' I received several more texts like this from my own number and they all had a tone of disdain, something that sounds like your inner voice yelling at you for something. One of them read, 'GODDDDDD!! You're such a selfish bitch! Hurting yourself will only hurt those around you!' ...there was much more that I can't remember for some reason but I felt so numbly shocked and a bit self-ashamed. Not only did this happen to my phone but I keep an online journal and a new post 'self-appeared' one day (no one knew my password) but it was written in French and I recognized most of what it said (I took French in high school but it escapes me) but I didn't quite want to admit. A friend later told me that it translated into 'Please stop hurting yourself' and something else much longer.. AH! I don't know why my memory's such a mess. But yeh. It was the WEIRDEST thing that had ever happened to me. I joked about it before that it might have been my Fight Club moment or something. =p

^I've always wanted to tell someone about this but there's just no one I could think of. Does anyone have any opinions/something to say about this? I told my parents (albeit more nonchalantly, not mentioning what it was and how it was really affecting me) and they couldn't even figure out how it was my own number texting itself. Is that possible? Could it have been someone who was hacking me (o_O)?

Heh, the profundity of synchronicities are so fascinating. There are other little occurrences too but they're not coming to me right now.

·
Registered
813 Posts
@treeghost

I never had a fight clubish experience like that, but the freakiest hypnogogic experience I ever had also occurred when I was a junior in high school. There may be an age/hormone/brain-pattern combination, when put under stress, creates phenomena that appears subjectively supernatural, objectively strange as all heck.

I had experiences when two contradicting points of views manifest in ways, that made it obvious, that one part of my personality was deliberately sabotaging the other. But I never experienced loss of memory during myself as a saboteur. But from the way you describe your story, I'd reckon that you had a fit of 'multiple personality syndrome' or 'dissociative identity disorder'...but mind you, I've very hesitant to call certain things "disorders" because I feel it instigates therapeutic conflict. You may have an ability that other do not posses.

There are other little occurrences too but they're not coming to me right now.

Have you also experienced "blackouts" or sudden loss of memory?

·
Banned
956 Posts
Is this 'phenomena' something you self-explored? It sounds intriguing.

Haha, I've thought about the whole multiple personality thing but Idk... It doesn't feel plausible for me. Or maybe I'm just skeptical. I think that was the only time something as strange as that had happened to me.

"There are other little occurrences too but they're not coming to me right now."
^ Oh, I meant this as other synchronicity happenings. :blushed::tongue:

And no, I don't -think- I've had memory loss or blackouts? The first text came when I was already asleep, so... And I remember some of the others was when I was just sitting at my desk, absorbed in the internet.

If you don't mind, what were the things that happened to you? the manifestation of contradicting points of view? *vedddy curious*

·
Registered
813 Posts
The weird phenomenon I mentioned has more to do with the hyponogogic state of consciousness. A sleep disorder that allowed me to see strange things and lucid dream, but this was mostly when I was in HS but still get it infrequently however (like this afternoon for example). The numerous synchronicities of meaningful coincidences, are what they are. I've just been keeping notes of my occurrences since I started getting a lot of them. The self-saboteur thing is something else that's just way too personal, will not talk about that. Hope you're better oriented as you continue the path to learn more about yourself.

·
MOTM Jan 2015
10,308 Posts
Synchronicity hits me over the head like a jackhammer constantly :) There has to be something to it. The most common thing I notice are dragonflies when I'm making big life changes and need guidance. They turn up and always do something to get my attention - hit me in the face, hover around the door to my apartment. It was especially strange when they would hang around my apartment because my apartment was nowhere near water, I lived on the third floor, and I would see them nowhere else in the surrounding area other than directly in front of my door. There was one instance in where I had three dragonflies (they were different dragonflies, the first was abnormally large for a dragonfly and the others were smaller) come to the door three separate days in a row. The third, kind of creepy, wasn't at my door when I got there. I found myself getting disappointed that there wasn't one present and it came flying from nowhere, hovered, and left. Native Americans believed that the Dragonfly was a spirit representing change, so this makes it even cooler :) They usually show up when I've made the decision to make a change, almost like support. When I was musing over the decision to make a career change recently one literally smacked me in the face. One of like ten thousand synchronicity stories, lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts