Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there has been a general thread about synesthesia (http://personalitycafe.com/personality-test-resources/23055-synesthesia.html), but I was wondering if it was common for INFJs to have Synesthesia?

(For anyone who doesn't know what synesthesia is, it's something that all the cool kids have. Or something. It's basically just a crossing of wires in the brain that causes senses to become tangled. Different things hold different attributes.

Lexical synesthesia, for instance, has different letters paired with different colors. Like, for me, 6 is a dark crimson, 8 is a rain-cloud blue, and the letter W is yellow. There are other kinds of synesthesia, ones that give attributes to sounds. Like X is rough and sandpapery, while L is kinda wet. Cellos play in mostly jewel tones while flutes play in pastels and percussions play in grey-scale. At least for me.)

Before I knew what intuition and synesthesia were, I would always just relate the two together. Then I heard about synesthesia and realized, "Oh wait -- everyone else doesn't know that 5 is blue?"

Since I originally linked the two in my head, I began to wonder if intuitives (particularly INFJs -- though if any others would like to share, they would be welcomed) were more likely to have it?

Here's a free online test:

The Synesthesia Challenge - Is your brain hard-wired for creativity?

I don't know how good it is for sure but good tests seem hard to come by.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I just thought about it, and I guess I do.

Though, mine isn't the common letter/number-color type, mine's the Sound → color synesthesia.

personification. Mondays seem very mean to me. and so does the word "the".

Lexical → gustatory synesthesia. Basically, spoken language - taste.

It's not super strong though. But it is there a bit.

sounds with shape. If it has sharp vowel sounds, I imagine a spiky shape. If the sound is sweet and flowing, I imagine a shape with soft, rounded lines.

Reactions: EmmaLeigh

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just thought about it, and I guess I do.

Though, mine isn't the common letter/number-color type, mine's the Sound → color synesthesia.

personification. Mondays seem very mean to me. and so does the word "the".

Lexical → gustatory synesthesia. Basically, spoken language - taste.

It's not super strong though. But it is there a bit.

sounds with shape. If it has sharp vowel sounds, I imagine a spiky shape. If the sound is sweet and flowing, I imagine a shape with soft, rounded lines.
Personification is fun! I didn't mention that one, did I... Mondays are not really so much mean to me as self-centered. They are kinda caught up in their own little world. Thursdays are a little depressed (probably an INFJ =P). Wednesdays are extroverted and bubbly. Saturdays are outgoing, but kinda laid back. Fridays are the responsible, efficient, yet personable sort. Tuesdays are introverted... you wouldn't really notice them much.

I don't really have the gustatory type. Tastes aren't really much involved, though I can tell whether something is sweet or bitter. But "that tastes like a mango" just doesn't happen for me. I'm jealous =P

I love listening to cellos because they express the colors of my soul.

Do you see people as having certain characteristics? I do. You, for instance, are light grey-blue, black, white, navy and dark crimson. And a recorder would probably play the tune most like you -- at least to me.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Yeah, it is! Sunday: peaceful, laid back, and lazy. Saturday: Laid back, lazy, depressed. Friday: cumbersome. Thursday: introverted. Wednesday: awkward. Tuesday: eager. Monday: mean.

For me, it's not quite personalities, but emotions. Emotions more than personalities, but still personalities somewhat.

Mine isn't severe and I often don't notice it.

Yeah. Like I see this guy in my band who plays the berry sax, and if he could be an instrument, he'd be the berry sax. The instrument is aperfect fit for him. Yet others are so much like a flute, and they play flute. It's funny, the people that end up playing a certain instrument, in my mind usually have characteristics that fit the style of their instrument very well.

I play the recorder and the Clarinet :p.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I've read that this is common for Js in general but very rare for Ps. Can't remember the reasoning behind it (something about synthetic vs analytic thinking processes) but yeah it has something to do with being a judger.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've read that this is common for Js in general but very rare for Ps. Can't remember the reasoning behind it (something about synthetic vs analytic thinking processes) but yeah it has something to do with being a judger.
Oh cool, someone who actually knows something about it! Thanks for sharing! =)

And @wondersueak: I forgot Sunday! Sunday is rather more laid back, like you said. Maybe mildly depressed? And do you play a soprano or an alto clarinet? I can see a soprano, but not the alto...

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I play a Bb (B flat) Clarinet. I have a few friends who play Bass clarinet. I think you might be thinking of soprano and alto saxophones. I sing soprano. (highest or second highest singer in my choir.)

Yeah, sunday kind of depressed, but with a more hopeful edge. Maybe because the fact a new week brings tons of promise for greatness, but also for destruction.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
meh, I don't know what I'm thinking of. I played clarinet as a kid, but I don't really remember much about it. Though I do think that the Bb clarinet is what I'm thinking of... maybe

Sunday is probably the most INFJ of the lot. <nods> yep.

·
Registered
274 Posts
There is a 70% chance your brain matter contains grade-A synesthesia!

Quiz result yet I honestly dont experience any of those sensations day-to-day oh well.

Reactions: Decoy24601

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I got 60% because mine works in a more sub-conscious way. XP

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Definitely, I always have and I like asking other people what their sensory experiences are. With me, the numbers have definite colours and the year and the week and any length of time can be drawn in a shape. For example, the year is a horseshoe. When someone says August to me and I'm thinking about when August is, I see it on the horseshoe (toward the bottom of the left-hand line of an upside-down horseshoe) and I can compare it with where I am now (currently we're about the same point on the other side of the horseshoe).

They say this has something to do with creativity? My bf doesn't do this but is extremely creative (particularly visually). Unless maybe he does it for things I haven't asked him about...

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have the colour-letter and colour-music type. Everything is so colourful! Haha. Each letter and instrument has it's own colour, and words and songs take on colours based on predominant letters/instruments.

I always thought that was normal until a few years back I tried to explain on a family road trip why we needed to turn off my Mum's iPod as her music was constantly "brown" and it was starting to get painful, and received the biggest 'WTF' faces I've ever seen. Cue research.

Something that I've thought about a lot - I experience letter and music based synesthesia. English/writing and music were my two best subjects at school and are two of my greatest strengths and talents. Numbers past 9 don't have colours to me at all, and I can't do maths for crap. Might just be a coincidence, but I can't say I haven't wondered if there was some kind of connection.

Edit: 77% on the test. Interesting idea behind it although it's a bit arbitrary. It would be pretty impossible to figure out a perfect test for this kind of thing though.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I know there has been a general thread about synesthesia (http://personalitycafe.com/personality-test-resources/23055-synesthesia.html), but I was wondering if it was common for INFJs to have Synesthesia?

(For anyone who doesn't know what synesthesia is, it's something that all the cool kids have. Or something. It's basically just a crossing of wires in the brain that causes senses to become tangled. Different things hold different attributes.

Lexical synesthesia, for instance, has different letters paired with different colors. Like, for me, 6 is a dark crimson, 8 is a rain-cloud blue, and the letter W is yellow. There are other kinds of synesthesia, ones that give attributes to sounds. Like X is rough and sandpapery, while L is kinda wet. Cellos play in mostly jewel tones while flutes play in pastels and percussions play in grey-scale. At least for me.)

Before I knew what intuition and synesthesia were, I would always just relate the two together. Then I heard about synesthesia and realized, "Oh wait -- everyone else doesn't know that 5 is blue?"

Since I originally linked the two in my head, I began to wonder if intuitives (particularly INFJs -- though if any others would like to share, they would be welcomed) were more likely to have it?

Here's a free online test:

The Synesthesia Challenge - Is your brain hard-wired for creativity?

I don't know how good it is for sure but good tests seem hard to come by.
LOL synethesia is like WHO I AM!

Whenever something pops into my head it has like a "flavor"! or something, like a style unique to itself, and that I make up on the spot.

Especially abstract ideas that don't already have a sensory definition. That's why whenever people try to tell me something new, I like to imagine what its like.

@wondersueak got me going here,
-Mondays feel like the boring ice-cream. They are bland and vanilla, in color and generally highly transient and clean. Sometimes like worn yellow.
-Tuesdays feel like a lovely stone with moss, or green like a deep forest or new plant. Since they are often busy with work and buzz. But they can also be refreshing in a new opportunity sort of way. Everything looks clear on tuesdays. Tuesdays have humid texture.
-Wednesdays are like mondays except slow, because they are fast. They are like baby blue, like a clear sky and or fresh mountain air. I get light-headed when think-about wednesdays, they make me feel semi-conscious. I am reminded of a lull in a storm when I look at wednesday on the weeks.
-Thursdays are like Autumn. They have fiery colours, like orange and brown and yellow or red. This is the busy wrap up day and smells like pencils. I see smiles and briskly walking people. I get a sense of rushing clam and perhaps closure to some plan or event. I feel warmer on Thursdays when I think about it.
-Fridays are transparent. Its like crystal bahamian water or a clear quartz in the sunlight. Everything feels purer and clearer on this day, like a cool shower, sort of like tuesday except its not as arboreal, more like coming out of the forest. I smell everything, the gas fumes on the road, food cooking in houses, pond water, perfume, or vegetation. Friday's are very, very long days when I think of them. They go on like two separate phases, night and day, each being equal in length.

-Saturdays are like a party-bag, filled with candy, lots of colors and lots of flavors. I can't even begin to describe Saturdays in relation to my senses. They are bubbly.
-Sundays are soft, like green, pink and yellow. And the weather is very mild. I smell freshly washed fabrics and the I some things seem transluscent on Sundays as I think about them. Also, my internal vision becomes brighter, like there is more light in my head, mostly white.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The tests at The Synesthesia Battery are much more accurate (they've been created by researchers), though they are for people who already know or suspect they have synesthesia.

I'm not an INFJ but I do have it, the thing vel said on it being related to Jness is pretty interesting.

I've got a pretty strong sound->color one, everything I hear have at least a color to me, sometimes also a shape, texture or movement. Some sound sources can produce various colors (ie. electronical sounds or piano), other offer variatons on the same color (ie. liquid-related sounds are beautiful emerald hues with moving reflects like light on silk, violin notes are red and orange, sounds relating to glass are blinding flashs of desaturated light blue).
It makes music an awesome experience too, like moving abstract paintings, though I have to force myself to ignore it sometimes or else I can get absorbed in it and lose track of time and space.
On the downside, unpleasant soundcolors can get overwhelming - the vacuum noise feels like spikes of scarlet are being drilled through my brain, and I can't stand to listen people if they have an unpleasant voice, it grates on my nerves too much.

I stumbled upon the wikipedia article on synesthesia a while ago and learning that not everyone experience it and that it even has a name was pretty shocking. I'm both happy to have this amazing "6th sense" and a bit ashamed when I tell it to other people, as if it were some strange sickness I should keep secret :unsure:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am a dysgraphic synesthetic (screw you, proper spelling). I have color>letters and color>numbers synesthesia. It also works with words (so, words have specific colors, as well as names and personalities.).

I only really notice when I'm writing with a pen (dysgraphics have a tendency to concentrate a lot whenever they write - they need to have their undivided attention on the action in order to write legibly), which I don't do often because of the dysgraphia (I actually bought a netbook so I could take notes in my classes in school).

It's started to become more noticeable, partially because I've been writing a lot more with a writing utensil than I was prior to entering a public school in late January.

James

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have synesthesia. I did my junior project on it... I painted what I saw when I listened to various songs, and then painted a few examples of different words, and how the intensity of some letters can affect other letters or even the entire word...

Music creates different colours in my mind. Numbers and letters are various colours, too. I think I react with colour to smells, as well...

Reactions: Decoy24601
1 - 20 of 56 Posts