Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that, among all of the feeling types within MBTI, INFJs seem to be possess the most in-depth feelings. Although they perhaps can be more reasonable than other feeling types, they are feelers nonetheless. Therefore, I want to know, how significant are your feelings to you? If they are significant to you, how do you balance between making your decisions with your emotions and your ability to remain rational?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Im gonna go first even if I'm one of the smartest ones here haha.
I mostly listen my feelings above anything else. Even beyond logic. And often let them make decision for me which is generally bad thing. Now I'm maybe just talking nosense but I'm rarely objective. And maybe INFJ's decision making is purely made on his value system. And my foundamental values are hardly changed. It just may be that most of INFJ's value system is based on morallity and helping others?
But I just say this from my experience. So.. derp XD And I have feeling people will son be like "what a hell was he saying" XD
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt" hahaha

·
Banned
3,318 Posts
At this point I believe I can go ahead and confess: I went through a bad, prolonged Ni/Ti loop, and I'm still sort of in the shallow end of it.

My Fe was knocked around too much when I was younger. I made a lot of attempts at connecting with others that were shot down (I don't really blame the people around me for doing that. My Fe was way too aggressive, and I was pretty obnoxious a lot of the time), and I felt like I was an outsider. Ti started to sprout up, acting as the "relief" function that it is. Once that happened, I retreated into it and began to suppress my Fe. In essence, I became avoidant.

Why do I bother mentioning this? It had a big effect on my relationship with my feelings. To this day I am very hesitant to intentionally use Fe (but, of course, it has a way of acting out without your full permission), and I still perceive my Ni/Ti as my "safe place", in spite of how critical it can become. I would say that I come off a bit colder than one would expect from an INFJ, and I regret that.

Nowadays I'm trying to bring my Fe into the place where it should have been. What's funny is how scary that idea seems to me, but once I actually put it into practice it is very rewarding. I've come to find that there are few things that I enjoy more than helping the people around me to genuinely feel better. One of my friends yesterday told me that I was a "young adult grandma" because I take care of everyone and make them feel at ease, and I was -- oddly enough -- very proud of that.

In summary, I err on the side of devaluing my feelings, and I need to try and work with them more often.

·
Registered
571 Posts
For me, I usually try not to draw too much attention to myself. Not that I like to be completely in the background, but I don't like to be center of attention either. Although I do feel very intensely, for some reason I tend to close them off until I think no one is watching. I'm not one to cry in front of people for various reasons. It's not till later when the waterworks come, or I feel even more intense or angry that I realize just how deeply that person/ event affected me.

My decisions are, as you said, a balance between my feelings and doing what is rational. I can't say how evenly divided that balance is, but they each play a significant role. I don't neglect one for the other. With most decisions, my Ni rules over my Fe, so I gather a bunch of information including drawing a bit from Fe, and then ultimately make my decision. If we're talking relationships, then feelings always wins out for me. Intense anger is enough for me to make the ultimate decision to cut someone out if I feel the action was intentional. Or if it was truly lacking any sort of consideration and in addition the person did not care about said lack of consideration. Cutting someone out is not always as superficial as cutting off communication, but just cutting them out from anything personal or any deep emotion if I had previously let them in.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I don't know if my feelings are the most in depth. I think I just try to use supplemental Ti or systematic thinking to make sense of them, and Fe makes me want to convey them in a broadly understandable or intelligible way. I like trying to use a sort of vast topographical view of my emotionality, relating feelings in a kind of universal way, which gives me some tools for talking about them or observing some sort of cause and effect type stuff in a way that is both involved and aloof. I know how to 'adjust' my feelings to appropriately reflect or facilitate deeply held goals or ideals. I do listen to my feelings more than I do rational justifications for my behaviours, but both priorities are pretty close and I don't really understand my feelings like Fi types do, I almost have to 'negotiate' with them like I do with other human beings in a social sphere, there's a dialogue and compromise involved with my feelings, and it's not like a deep internal wellspring that I can return to to renew myself (what I imagine Fi is like), that's more what Ni is for for me.

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
Are you kidding? An Fi Dom is gonna have the most "in depth" feelings. I'm picking up other people's feelings before my own register in my head. I think about my feelings more than feel them and I tend to analyze the feelings of others habitually like a default. So to say that INFJ's have the most in depth feelings? What does that even mean??

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
Are you sure the OP (as an intj) isn't involved with an INFP and not knowing? Infps are often type 5's or 4 with a 5 wing so are quite intelligent despite their feelings being their primary focus of attention.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I don't have in depth feelings. I can absorb them from other people if we are close, but I don't really create many organic emotions on my own. Fe is more of a social thermometer and analytical tool for me.

That being said, I do think feelings are very significant, and on the rare occasion I do feel something strongly, I will decide in favor of that. I enjoy feeling alive. Overall, I don't think balancing emotion and reason is difficult. We are attracted to the paradoxical so it only makes sense that we would attempt to marry these two ends of the spectrum in our behavior.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I'm pretty sure INFPs and ISFPs have us beat in the deep feeling department. Also ENFPs and ESFPs, and... well also INTJs and ISTJs, actually if you think about it so do ENTJs and ESTJs, and if you really want to get down to it so do ENFJs and ESFJs.

But sixth place isn't bad, still deep...ish.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I feel negative emotions quite intensely at times. Most of the time, I am not in touch with my feelings, I have to really question myself to figure that out. Rarely do i feel great joy, and usually this only happens when I have helped someone.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Being F means we tend to value and analyze feelings/values/intentions more than plain logic, but a preference does not mean exclusive. We are still capable of using logic and T.

And then emotions are not illogical. Everything is logical, it's just one might not comprehend it enough to understand the logic behind.

Perhaps the in-depth feelings for us is more of in-depth analysis and comprehension (reasons and motivations behind it and so on) of feelings.

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
I just want to note that just because I don't get in touch with my emotions as easily as a type 4 or an INFP, when people do get to that side of me it IS intense and of great significance. I really don't think any type would see their feelings as insignificant. It's that some types more than others entertain their emotions more readily. I tend to think and analyze my emotions and the emotions of others and do my best to understand them before entertaining them. Hope that made sense.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Well I think that INFJs (and maybe also ENFJs) tend to have this laser pointer on their own emotions. They pick the emotions apart and analyze them to death. An xSFP or an xNFP will just go "I'm soooo sad!", and can be eloquent and expressive and well, emotional, about it--

whereas an xNFJ will go "well I'm sad because XYZ and that happened because of this and its this really particular kind of sadness, its not the kind where [such and such], its this other kind of sadness and I felt it last night in this particular way but this morning its different" etc etc
....to the point where the emotion is so over-analyzed that you're not feeling it as much as thinking it. And through-out the whole process, you're not acting particularly emotional at all, and also you don't even have the foggiest idea what you're actually feeling.

xNFJs will have this whole elaborate structure to their emotions, they can explain them in detail the way an architect would explain how a building stays up and it just gets fabulously complicated and further and further away from external reality--
whereas an xNFP will just straight up cry and emote and express themselves plainly.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Using logic has never been difficult or an issue for me. I can and will use it when I need to. However, I inherently prefer to make decisions based on feelings. I think, as a pretty much textbook INFJ, I want to know my decisions make people (and myself) happy moreso than caring about whether they're super logical or not. I couldn't care less about the latter, honestly.

If the world and I could function without logic, I'd be happy. But I'm not that idealistic. What I hate is people believing emotions are illogical, in my view, that is an illogical statement.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Well I think that INFJs (and maybe also ENFJs) tend to have this laser pointer on their own emotions. They pick the emotions apart and analyze them to death. An xSFP or an xNFP will just go "I'm soooo sad!", and can be eloquent and expressive and well, emotional, about it--

whereas an xNFJ will go "well I'm sad because XYZ and that happened because of this and its this really particular kind of sadness, its not the kind where [such and such], its this other kind of sadness and I felt it last night in this particular way but this morning its different" etc etc
....to the point where the emotion is so over-analyzed that you're not feeling it as much as thinking it. And through-out the whole process, you're not acting particularly emotional at all, and also you don't even have the foggiest idea what you're actually feeling.

xNFJs will have this whole elaborate structure to their emotions, they can explain them in detail the way an architect would explain how a building stays up and it just gets fabulously complicated and further and further away from external reality--
whereas an xNFP will just straight up cry and emote and express themselves plainly.
Yeah, pretty much this. Very astute

·
Registered
4,081 Posts

But.... That's.... Fi.... It's Fi what you described for nfj.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
@Shameless Nation
haha this is from so long ago that I literally don't even remember writing it. But, reading back on it, I do still agree with what I wrote. I mean, I was describing my own experience being an INFJ and maybe it was wrong to generalize about all xNFJs? idk. But I think what I'm describing there is Ni.... so.... which can feel a lot like analysis... because remember, with the process about Ni is that you're trying to delve down and find out what is the foundational idea to any surface-level idea. And you treat your emotions that way.
You're right, it does sound like Ti or Fi.... but... I don't know, I just know that the descriptions of Ni reflect how I think perfectly (and I believe fit with what I described above), so to me that gives weight to the whole cognitive function idea. I don't know very much about Ti or Fi so I really can't contrast them.

P.S. I think the emphasis on Fi is not necessarily the thought process involved (and what I described was a thought process) but where the emotions are coming from. Fi-users have their own emotional opinion about everything whereas Fe-users are tuned into the emotional channels of others. That's the distinction. If you're talking about Ni, Ne, Ti, etc, you're going to be talking about the thought process involved.
I would say.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
@Shameless Nation
haha this is from so long ago that I literally don't even remember writing it. But, reading back on it, I do still agree with what I wrote. I mean, I was describing my own experience being an INFJ and maybe it was wrong to generalize about all xNFJs? idk. But I think what I'm describing there is Ni.... so.... which can feel a lot like analysis... because remember, with the process about Ni is that you're trying to delve down and find out what is the foundational idea to any surface-level idea. And you treat your emotions that way.
You're right, it does sound like Ti or Fi.... but... I don't know, I just know that the descriptions of Ni reflect how I think perfectly (and I believe fit with what I described above), so to me that gives weight to the whole cognitive function idea. I don't know very much about Ti or Fi so I really can't contrast them.

P.S. I think the emphasis on Fi is not necessarily the thought process involved (and what I described was a thought process) but where the emotions are coming from. Fi-users have their own emotional opinion about everything whereas Fe-users are tuned into the emotional channels of others. That's the distinction. If you're talking about Ni, Ne, Ti, etc, you're going to be talking about the thought process involved.
I would say.
Uhh yes, sorry. I didn't check the date :D I'm sure NiFe can lead to such self awareness. And afterwards I thought that its possibly Ti making sense of yourself that way. It just really sounded like Fi analysis as thats the one good thing about the function - ability to self-analyze and know why you feel a certain way and how you came to that. At least in my understanding. Therefore I wanted to know whether I have understood it wrong.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts