Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At this very moment, my yard is filled with oak trees just beginning their metamorphosis of color. The reds, yellows and oranges look absolutely amazing, especially since I live in a very rugged and majestic part of the U.S.

AND it has been storming off and on all day; the soft pitter-patter of raindrops has been echoing throughout my house. It's times like this when I feel a great deal of peace and happiness, despite having so many stressors poisoning my life.

Thoughts? What are your experiences with the weather/nature, and the sense of satisfaction it gives you? Anyone else feel the same way as I do?

·
Registered
644 Posts
That type of thing always just makes me feel more alive, more here.

Thunderstorms and other weather extremes also, just I donno, I can't describe it in words. It's a strange feeling, but a really good strange. A short of tingling, excitement, anticipation...and warmness? a sort of warm tugging in my chest, longing?...it doesn't even need to be extremes. Just a moment I consider beautiful. It might just be the sunlight shinning in a room, and standing it, feeling it's warmth.

Maybe it's best described as what the Romantic poets called a sense of the sublime. A feeling of awe at nature and world, at it's intricacies and magnitudes, it's incomprehensibility...and that you, yes YOU are here and part of it.

I live so much in my head, that such moments of hereness, are precious.

Sometimes they make me want to reach out and touch something, to shout I am alive, and here, right here feeling the whole world...it's just pure sensation. I like that. It's cleansing.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly! Maybe these dramatic representations of nature's power spark our inferior Se, making us feel the present and become more aware of the sensations around us. It's definitely a liberating experience.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Exactly! Maybe these dramatic representations of nature's power spark our inferior Se, making us feel the present and become more aware of the sensations around us. It's definitely a liberating experience.
I think they must, and I feel I really need those expirences. They always make me really happy, and want to do silly or spontaniouse things...or just smile quirtly to myself.

They make me feel compleate, I guess.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
i've noticed my mood has gone way up too..
i also feel it's kind of a 'hello' ...from someone..(or something like that)
when the rain gets so loud it drowns out everything, feels like there's a visitor.
i never know when it happens so it's a nice surprise. i have things i look forward to each season, and they are often changing and i never know what it will be. like in the summer my room can get washed all over with a really bright red, it just stops you for a long moment there. the sun doesn't set at my side of the house but it reflects on the gates, grass etc and into my window..and to my room and the big mirrors i have. it almost look unnatural.

i even bought some rain sounds a couple of days ago. very relaxing :p when i miss the rain

Maybe it's best described as what the Romantic poets called a sense of the sublime. A feeling of awe at nature and world, at it's intricacies and magnitudes, it's incomprehensibility...and that you, yes YOU are here and part of it.
i like this movement! :) I didn't know about the poetry. I'm familiar with it fine arts.. I'll have to check up on this

·
Registered
644 Posts
i've noticed my mood has gone way up too..
i also feel it's kind of a 'hello' ...from someone..(or something like that)
YES! It is just like that, as if The World is saying: Filigee! Look, it is me, I am here...pay attention to me, I miss you.

Me: Oh...The World is prettier and more mysterious than I remembered...

The World: I am, I am great and impossibly vast and beyond your keen, oh simple mortal...

Me: *becomes entranced, like a kitten chasing the beam from a torch* Soooo pretty, I wants it! I want The World.

The World: but you already have me, you are part of me.

Me: Oooooh...*frolics and revels in the Worldness* I love the The World!

The World: I love you too, even when I do terrible terrible things to you...

Me: terrible things are not fun, but you do nice things too, so I forgive you...and, you make me feel like everything will be ok.

The World: I am a terrible, yet magnificent thing...terrible! Magnificent! Yours! You!...nothing will be ok, but it is also always ok because things simply are. You silly humans just try and interpret them, which you can never fully do, and so you see good and bad, when there is really no such thing. There is only existence. It is contradictory and ever changing, but not contradictory either, you only interpret it as so, it simply is. Even that is too simplistic, I am not only being, as I am not being too...I am flow, change and conflict...The Ever Moving! MARVEL AT ME

Me: ....wow...that should not make me feel better, but it does. Despite knowing this, I shall continue with my foolish attempts to place limits and order on you, The World, as I need to in order to function, and because I am of you and not external from you, hence I am limited...ooooh, well that was fun. I have things to do now.

The World: Filigee! NOOOOO! noooo!

Me: now where did I put that book I was looking for...wait, more importantly, who will I be in five years time? I should think about this carefully, in case I turn into someone I don't like.

The World: Filigee! Filigee!!!

Me: ugh! what's that annoying buzzing on the edge of my consciousness? I wish it would shut up so I could think.

This is all just communicated with pure feeling...

As an aside, try yea some Blake: http://www.poetry-archive.com/b/night.html Not strictly a Romantic poet, but still a writer very into communicating with nature and such.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Nice to know there are others that feel the same. What I really love is the mist in the valley as the sun comes up - those mornings are special - feels like it's going to be a good day. I hear loads of people complain about the UK weather (it's not hot enough - it's grey) - I love it the subtle tones and changes - nothing too extreme but often beautiful

Filigee - sublime is the perfect word :mellow:- that sense of perfection in random chaos

·
Registered
303 Posts
Whenever I feel a storm brewing, and the sky darkens to nearly black in the middle of the day, and I feel like I'm soaking up the electrical charge in the air.....I feel BIGGER than life. But not like, ha HA I'm powerful! But more like, I feel like I've just become interconnected to all there is. Like nature's internet. And uh....um....should I even SAY it? Umm, ok. It's like the world's HUGEST aphrodesiac, which is putting it mildly to say the least. I feel like I should have just posted that in the "Secrets" thread. <dies of embarrassment>

Reactions: Unicorntopia

·
Registered
801 Posts
I think weather and nature are so magnetic because they are things we can not control. You have no choice but to look at the big picture and know that as a human being, we are just small specks. There is nothing more pure, more innocent or more beautiful than nature. It is uncorruptable, there is no way it can be bribed or swayed. How could one not appreciate it unless they have their eyes closed and dare not feel, see, smell or listen to all that nature has to offer. It allows us a sense of peace and rest from the controlling society we live in.

Reactions: Goaty

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
I love watching the changing seasons. I love knowing when to expect certain flowers to bloom. I have to say that daffodils are very unpredictable! I get disappointed when they come out too early because I know they will suffer the frost!

I think the weather has a strong effect on my moods. I've especially noticed that from Nov through to Feb I tend to feel depressed and then come alive again in the spring and summer.

Spring is my favourite time of year because there is so much going on. I also love the end of July/August when the buddleias come out, not only for their delicious purple colour, but because they attract butterflies. Seeing sunflowers always makes me happy too.

Autumn is magical; I love the reds and golds. Near to my home there is a road with large trees lining each side and I love driving along this tunnel of trees in autumn because it is so majestic!

·
Registered
712 Posts
I think that is exactly it. Our Se is inferior, so when a strongly sensory experience activates it, we get a natural high. Storms, particularly, get me very energized and excited - it's a shame we only get about 3 a year here, and they are normally over within 5 minutes. And heavy, monsoon like rain brings me so much peace and comfort, so long as I'm all snuggly and dry indoors (or it makes me feel alive, running outside in it screaming with laughter, knowing that I am on my way somewhere dry with a change of clothes).

I'm with PaulH on the misty mornings too, and with Umbrellasky on the budleias - one of my very favourite flowers I think, even though I can never spell them right :laughing:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I absolutely LOVE storms. My whole life I have loved them and never been scared of them. I lived in the Tennessee Valley for a while which is known for lots of tornadoes. The sirens would go off and everyone else would get scared and go in the basement, but I would go outside, smile and watch the sky. :happy:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts