Personality Cafe banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Duty- To always do what is right.

Courage- To stand against fear.

Benevolence- To bring people together.

Morality- To conduct oneself with politeness in public.

Truthfulness- To always be honest.

Honor- To give respect where respect is due.

Loyalty- To remain faithful to those who might need you.

The seven virtues of Bushido. This is what I believe in. Of course, there's a ton more, but I can't be arsed to type it all out.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I wouldn't say truthfulness is a virtue. A regiment of SS soldiers shows up at your door and asks if you're hiding any jews in your house and you are.

Would you tell the truth?

Similarly, Socrates made a living off of questioning the definition of courage (or in Greek, the virtue of being without fear, Andrea). He invited generals and famous soldiers (Socrates was a soldier himself) to try to explain to him what courage was... always Socrates had counter examples. Courage is a very subjective thing. A man can be courageous in terms of one of his fears, and be a coward in regards to another fear simultaneously.
So are you saying that my ideas of virtues are all nonsense? Perhaps that bushido too, is nonsense?

Any of these virtues on their own is subject to the firing squad. But it's not about the virtues, how they are read, what they mean, or any of that. It's how you follow them that makes them virtues. Do you follow?

But, as always, this is just my opinion.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't question my ethics in the future.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Sorry to seem tense. I'm trying my best not to be offended. Perhaps I should head elsewhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.