Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that I find that in movies/media/books INFJ's are often characterized as mystical and very spiritual beings. Hell, many are often characterized as the all knowing, all wise village elder. Why is this?

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Why is it that I find that in movies/media/books INFJ's are often characterized as mystical and very spiritual beings. Hell, many are often characterized as the all knowing, all wise village elder. Why is this?
The Ni/Fe/Ti fits the hollywood stereotype. I'm sure other types can offer just as insightful advice.

Fe is an arrogant universalism when it comes to emotional understandings... that kind of over-simplified, bigger picture kind of emotion... where a movie can be summed up by Fe as black vs. white... hope vs. despair, the duty... justice... honor... of a citizen... or a soldier... or a man.

Ni is another essential piece of the puzzle... Ni takes concepts and draws them together... similarities... and sees systems where other types cannot. It takes the Fe arrogance and over-generalizations, and turns it into a compact and almost mystical understanding.

^ I dunno... that's kind of what I think when I ponder the issue :tongue:

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Ni/Fe/Ti fits the hollywood stereotype. I'm sure other types can offer just as insightful advice.

Fe is an arrogant universalism when it comes to emotional understandings... that kind of over-simplified, bigger picture kind of emotion... where a movie can be summed up by Fe as black vs. white... hope vs. despair, the duty... justice... honor... of a citizen... or a soldier... or a man.

Ni is another essential piece of the puzzle... Ni takes concepts and draws them together... similarities... and sees systems where other types cannot. It takes the Fe arrogance and over-generalizations, and turns it into a compact and almost mystical understanding.

^ I dunno... that's kind of what I think when I ponder the issue :tongue:
lol, funny thing is that I find that a lot of INFJ's fit the stereotype in real life.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reactions: Daveman

·
Registered
802 Posts
We're a romantic society, and such beings are very romantic. And maybe the idea is comforting. You know, someone out there really does get, really does have some answers and some power and the ability to handle all the crap that comes with life.

Plus, a stock character like that is incredibly useful for writers. In fantasy stories, those are the characters who outline the rules of fictional universes. Because they're all-knowing, audiences believe whatever they say.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Ni is difficult/impossible to really 'show' on film. It's very internalized, so all you're going to see most of the time is a quiet pensive person staring off into space. Fe is slightly easier... the emotions boiling at the surface... a deep concern for fellow mankind. I think it's easy to see the 'wise elder' stereotype.

I think in real life we often don't look like this... or have developed coping mechanisms (like humor). I have high Fe/Se so I function pretty well with the rest of the world. If I cut over to Ni for any length of time in public, people start to ask what's wrong with me.

I guess my point is, it is difficult to display any complex personality on the screen. Therefore, what you're going to see is a 'one-dimensional' INFJ... who is a stereotype rather than anything else. But I would agree that we can be quite mystical in real life as well.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I wasn't aware that INFJs (or any other type for that matter), were characterized in various forms of media. Aren't characters simply portrayed with various personality traits and INFJs project ourselves onto them?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Ha. INFJs are always quick to point out that we're modest and humble people. That is until we are assigned a "higher" label that can't be applied to other people. We're rare and "special," and we like it that way. It's like reading X-men comics, we all wish we could be mutants with super powers, but that'll never happen. Being an INFJ kind of makes the fantasy come true, especially when we get threads like this, the empath thread, and others that purposely diversify us from others.

I don't mean to discount this thread or the others I mentioned above... it's just a funny little trend I've noticed in this forum. :happy:

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Do you know of a wise / mystical INFJ?

The Great One,

What's up? Have you have been lately? This is kind of the second dreamy-like INFJ comment you've made lately...I wonder. Has something happened? Has one come about in real life, that you are interested in? Or perhaps you are just questioning to observe. I always ask when others visit the INFJ realm! Natural gate-keeper I suppose, tee hee

I don't know much about movies, I don't watch many of them, but IRL, I can tell you, that I do have a mystical quality (for those who can see it), and should an INFJ be interested in pursuing wisdom / spirituality, I know a few of them, they can embody that 'wise village elder' type vibe or personality IRL, regardless of age.

My best friend is like some old soul, who can immediately assess and help others using her powerful intuitive abilities. She says that I can somehow, hang around someone, and set them on their path with indirect guidance. I don't know if this is true, but if my ramblings are helpful, I am grateful for the ability :)

So again, I ask, what's up? I'm curious :)

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Young one, it is unwise for you to concern yourself with those things that you are unable to grasp at this time. Do you see the flowers in the field, how they blossom? So must you unfold yourself.

:mellow:

edit: Despite the sarcasm, I actually do like mysticism, and it's also the lens through which I interpret my own religion. There's just a lot of false guru's out there, and I think many of them are INFJs. I think that as a type, we just have a profound capacity for spouting the most absurd bullshit. But I think we also have the capacity to become 'awakened' as it were, more so than some other types. It's just that our functions allow us to have an easier time grasping esoteric concepts.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Young one, it is unwise for you to concern yourself with those things that you are unable to grasp at this time. Do you see the flowers in the field, how they blossom? So must you unfold yourself.
Here... take this potion... it will aid you in your travels. xD

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
Ni and Fe go hand in hand. When you have very strong Ni and Fe, you have that pretty word 'mystical". Don't confuse emapthy with "empathic nature". Mystical="empathic nature"=pyschicl! When the subconscious mind talks to the conscious mind, add: feeling (empathy); the world around you; how you are wired, then one will come up with "empathic nature" . One does not have to be an INFJ to be psychic...any personality type that has empathy can be. I think it is just that INFJs are more prone to do this, because they pay more attention to it.

I don't believe the stereotyping that the movies portray. There are some myths on the subject of psychic abilities. Maybe, I will write about them another time.

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ha. INFJs are always quick to point out that we're modest and humble people. That is until we are assigned a "higher" label that can't be applied to other people. We're rare and "special," and we like it that way. It's like reading X-men comics, we all wish we could be mutants with super powers, but that'll never happen. Being an INFJ kind of makes the fantasy come true, especially when we get threads like this, the empath thread, and others that purposely diversify us from others.

I don't mean to discount this thread or the others I mentioned above... it's just a funny little trend I've noticed in this forum. :happy:
Two more....

The Oracle from the Matrix

Yoda

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I'm an autistic electric human whom has dreams of future events and can shut down street lamps when he's pissed.

I'm not mystical, I'm a goddamn freak. ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts