Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions.

1. Are you very religious or do you have religion as an important aspect in your life?

2. Do you have a strong belief in ghosts, the soul, etc?

3. What role does religion play in your life?

They say INFJ's are very religious but I think not. I could see the possibility of more people who question organized religion, I feel that we are more introspective and tend to look at people with an open mind, so we may be more predisposed to question it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Questioning spiritual things doesn't make them untrue.
I do believe that virgin births, sadomasochistic fathers in the sky, and talking snakes require not questioning them, the only proof is an anonymous book written in bronze age times says so, which also says the earth is flat, the sun goes around the earth, and an all powerful god needed to rest.

It very very often does, but people tend to change based on morality, I did that when I was catholic.

·
Registered
440 Posts
im not religious
but i think might be spiritual
and i think physical nature is in itself a medium for spirituality
but i don't like nature either
i was born catholic and sometimes i find myself blaming god or praying or something and i dont like doing that - it's meaningless i think?
but whether it is a pseudo-high intention or something i look at nature from a mystical point of view. like scientists im so dying to figure something, some principle out of it.. but the one that has to do with human consciousness whether that's based on physical aspect or aesthetics.. but at the end of the day what affects us is very very physical

looking at nature differently or figuring out how it works doesn't change it that much dramatically in short period of time.. eg. albert einstein saying that the rocket is not escaping earth's gravity but more of the bent/warped space around it and it sounds completely new but still the experience or limitation is the same?

but i am so so so after experiences that cease any kind of limitation of being... pushing limits, envelope so to speak.. and i get this impression or vision about utilising physical nature in a way to tap into the most highest and spiritual state.. metaphysical as more of an extension to hard science.. physical is equally mysterious because it is the basis of our consciousness and emotions

but i think certain specific knowledge / principle / technique / energy / approach / momentum can help us humans be liberated from so something completely.. who knows what could happen? depending on how we tap into nature we might be able to live in ways so spiritually aesthetic as in mario floating about in mario galaxy full of lights and so on..
it is all in there somehow hidden from us and we have to freaking keep decoding shit to do something or so on..
somehow this ironic world requires the opposite of something for the something to be achieved - it is a bad place :-0

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was raised a catholic, visited lots of protestant churches with my friends while growing up. And although there are certain things in the bible I never believed, it has only been in the last few years that I've finally come to the realization that it is OK for me to admit to myself that I'm not a Christian.

However, I do very much believe in a spiritual world of some sort. In general, I believe that we are all part of some spiritual force (that there isn't a separate being who is God). From what I've read about Carl Jung, I'd have to say I believe almost exactly as he did. (He was an INFJ after all and brilliantly ahead of his time.)

I agree that INFJ's are probably more likely to question their beliefs instead of just believing what they have been taught, but I also think that INFJ's will hold tightly onto those beliefs that they do retain.

I find it sad either when people believe things blindly without question OR when people cannot believe what has not yet been proven scientifically. I have a good friend who thought I was CRAZY when I told her that I did not believe literally in the story of Noah's Ark, and I have a husband who seems to be simply incapable of believing anything that hasn't been proven and endorsed by the scientific community (he's an ISTJ). I feel sorry for both of them. I'm not saying I feel sorry for all atheists, just atheists who cannot allow themselves to consider the possibility of a spiritual world. I think that by definition, the NF's are capable of identifying their intuition (which I guess can be described as their inner beliefs) and are likely to trust in that intuition.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is interesting but expected... They say we are all religious but I think spiritual is a much better term. I can't see INFJ's and organized religion as it doesn't allow for individuality and all the introspection makes you explore other beliefs. I think being a feeling type we need that meaning of life and a deep value system to live on, but organized religion I just can't see fit with such an introspective type.

Reactions: pajamiez

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not all INFJs are religious, but we do have the tendency to try to find deeper meanings in life.

The need to question and understand may be universal among us, but our methods, and end results differ greatly.

For instance, you are an INFJ and also an Atheist. Whether you are aware of it or not, you are searching for truth, and you question religion because either it hasn't answered your inquires, or perhaps you don't agree with the answers that were provided.

Conversely I have the same introspective personality traits that you have, but I rendered a completely different conclusion. I searched, studied, questioned, and prayed for many years searching for answers, and I found truth in religion.

In the end it all depends on the individual, and the dictates of their own conscience.

To answer your questions...

1. Are you very religious or do you have religion as an important aspect in your life? I belong to The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-Day Saints, (a.k.a the Mormons) So religion plays a very large role in my.

Well, I believe a person is made up of two parts; The body, and the spirit. When your body dies, your spirit is separated from it. To me, Death means separation. And because a soul is made up of two parts, that means that there are two kinds of deaths. Physical death is the separation of the body and spirit. Spiritual death is separation from god.

Being LDS isn't just a belief system, it's a way of life. It means that I made covenants or promises with god to live the way he's taught us. From little things to not using coarse language and dressing modestly, to big things like abstaining from sex till after marriage, not drinking alcohol, and not smoking. So when you think about it, every aspect of my life is effected by my religion.

Forgive me if I offended you in any way. I hope I answered your question.:laughing:

·
Registered
571 Posts
^ I'm a member of that church as well, and her post pretty much sums up my beliefs. Nice post. :happy:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not all INFJs are religious, but we do have the tendency to try to find deeper meanings in life.

The need to question and understand may be universal among us, but our methods, and end results differ greatly.

For instance, you are an INFJ and also an Atheist. Whether you are aware of it or not, you are searching for truth, and you question religion because either it hasn't answered your inquires, or perhaps you don't agree with the answers that were provided.

Conversely I have the same introspective personality traits that you have, but I rendered a completely different conclusion. I searched, studied, questioned, and prayed for many years searching for answers, and I found truth in religion.

In the end it all depends on the individual, and the dictates of their own conscience.

To answer your questions...

1. Are you very religious or do you have religion as an important aspect in your life? I belong to The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-Day Saints, (a.k.a the Mormons) So religion plays a very large role in my.

Well, I believe a person is made up of two parts; The body, and the spirit. When your body dies, your spirit is separated from it. To me, Death means separation. And because a soul is made up of two parts, that means that there are two kinds of deaths. Physical death is the separation of the body and spirit. Spiritual death is separation from god.

Being LDS isn't just a belief system, it's a way of life. It means that I made covenants or promises with god to live the way he's taught us. From little things to not using coarse language and dressing modestly, to big things like abstaining from sex till after marriage, not drinking alcohol, and not smoking. So when you think about it, every aspect of my life is effected by my religion.

Forgive me if I offended you in any way. I hope I answered your question.:laughing:
I love your explanation. The quest for the truth, lack of rational answers made me lean towards science and some of the moral ideologies of most religions makes me less sympathetic to religion. I did research and months of soul searching and now I am no longer a believer.

INFJ's want to know the truth and find meaning in their life, so religious is a very misleading term, spiritual is much better.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I dabble in wiccan and pan-theism
then later studied some ideas about zen buddhism
went into a self study about myself and other peoples minds.
communication in unspoken ways.
feel-talk as I think of it.

I kinda just grab whatever from whatever religion.

honestly the way I see it...

the religion is the paint
the INFJ is the brush
the world is the canvas

and by religion I mean any belief system.
I do feel it is important that it makes sense to us though. my inner world is pretty complex and such and I have different spiritual modes because I am always thinking about multiple belief systems, never wanting to pidgeon-hole myself to any one particular "way of life"

ghostwriter, you didn't offend me. I am all for practice and study of religion, I would say most INFJ's are. but I will say you might have many people disagree with you as I just did.

how old are you?
sounds like you have never even looked into anything else out there as far as religions go.
think of this--> what are the chances that you among all the billions of people were born into the perfect one correct way of life.
I feel religions should be interpreted and taken with a grain of salt I guess.
find your own path with the stories of old.

sorry to be devils advocate here and pull you away from the light...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dabble in wiccan and pan-theism
then later studied some ideas about zen buddhism
went into a self study about myself and other peoples minds.
communication in unspoken ways.
feel-talk as I think of it.

I kinda just grab whatever from whatever religion.

honestly the way I see it...

the religion is the paint
the INFJ is the brush
the world is the canvas

and by religion I mean any belief system.
I do feel it is important that it makes sense to us though. my inner world is pretty complex and such and I have different spiritual modes because I am always thinking about multiple belief systems, never wanting to pidgeon-hole myself to any one particular "way of life"

ghostwriter, you didn't offend me. I am all for practice and study of religion, I would say most INFJ's are. but I will say you might have many people disagree with you as I just did.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Being an INFJ guy is cool, you're the thinker, philosopher, scientist, but you use it as a humanitarian and helping society, plus you have the sensitive side.

how old are you?
sounds like you have never even looked into anything else out there as far as religions go.
think of this--> what are the chances that you among all the billions of people were born into the perfect one correct way of life.

sorry to be devils advocate here and pull you away from the light...
Yes I think organized religion can be very arrogant, I'm wrong and your right despite all the evidence. But I think everyone should look at their belief systems and constantly search for what is morally right and believe in reality, too many people see religion as "It makes me feel happy, so it must be true".

She can believe what she believes, she answered and explained INFJ's spirituality and her own brilliantly, despite me disagreeing with the LDS.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm spiritual, but I understand what it's like to be both religious and an atheist- I've been on both sides and now consider myself agnostic/influenced by eastern philosophy. I believe what I want to believe as long as it fits my values, and am patient about absolute truth. :)

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I grew up Christian but am not religious now. I would call myself Spiritual however. I feel like somehow the world is connected. Somehow things happen for some reason. Will I ever find out? Only through progressing forward will I know. So I just keep marching on, not really expecting, but still looking.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I admire people's convictions to what they believe in the area of religion. When people have a religious faith that they are committed to, it appears that their lives are filled with a certainty. They do not have to make decisions because their lives are guided by their faith, which tells them what is right and wrong and how they should live their lives.

Even Atheists, who are committed to being an Atheist, seem to lead easier lives than those of us who are Seekers. I admire committed spiritual faith. I would love to find a faith or a lack of faith that I could commit to.

Reactions: AtheistGuy

·
Registered
49 Posts
ghostwriter, you didn't offend me. I am all for practice and study of religion, I would say most INFJ's are. but I will say you might have many people disagree with you as I just did.

how old are you?
In answer to your questions

I'm 19 years old. Yes, I may be young, but I have done quite a bit of learning and living in my young life. In that respect, I hope that my opinions will not be discounted. :proud:

I'm fascinated by world religions, so I have studied up quite a bit on other people's beliefs.

"what are the chances that you among all the billions of people were born into the perfect one correct way of life?"

I honestly don't believe that I was born into an LDS family by accident. You make a valid point, but I don't see my religion as a ridged or inflexible way of living.

Living a devout life can be compared to writing a sonnet.

a sonnet is a kind of poem that is formed around a very particular meter, and rhyme-scheme. A sonnet has exactly 14 lines and is typically strict to the prescribed scheme. If the poem strays from the criteria, then it is not a sonnet.

Because of the strict guidelines that prescribe the sonnet, many may scoff and say that they are too controlled and inflexible to suit everyone.

what they do not see is that, although the frame is prerequisite, the content is solely up to the writer, to be defined and created as they will.

I see my religious life in that way. I may structure my life with the guidelines and rhythms of my faith, but my life is still mine to live.

My religion may be the rhythm, but my life is the masterpiece. :happy:

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I was raised as a Christian, studied eastern religions, looked into the religions most closely related to Christianity, at some point became religious, followed all holidays and fasts, regularly prayed. But then turned atheist and for good measure also discarded beliefs in souls, ghosts, reincarnation, that kind of stuff, so I am not a spiritual atheist either.

I would say that INFJs definitely have a propensity towards being religious, and not just INFJs but feelers in general. In one of the articles about INFJs that I have read it states that Fe can make one favor anthropomorphized version of the world. This is basically the view of the world that religions offer. It is possible that those MBTI subtypes that have Fe or Fi higher up their cognitive function ladder are more likely to subscribe to a religion. Statistics show that women are more likely than men to believe in god, be religious, and among religious people women also pray more than men and visit houses dedicated to their religion more often. Coincidentally 70-80% of women test F-type on MBTI test meaning that they have either Fe or Fi as one of their dominant or auxiliary functions.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I do believe that virgin births, sadomasochistic fathers in the sky, and talking snakes require not questioning them, the only proof is an anonymous book written in bronze age times says so, which also says the earth is flat, the sun goes around the earth, and an all powerful god needed to rest.

It very very often does, but people tend to change based on morality, I did that when I was catholic.
Questioning religion = quoting your favorite authors, I guess.

Spirituality is just masturbation without ideas to back it up.

·
Registered
304 Posts
1. Are you very religious or do you have religion as an important aspect in your life?

Nope.

Nope.

None.

I was raised Christian (Anglican), I didn't really understand or listen to what the religion was when I was little, and when I chose to consider the idea at age 10 well I pretty much disagreed with just about most of it. My parents used to go to church every few weeks, I tried to make excuses like homework to get out of going. Now even they don't go. I'm sceptical about the religious beliefs, but also disagree with some of the practices and the way the bible views women etc. My grandad is very religious and finds it hard to accept I think different to him (ESTJ :tongue:). Honestly I am the most logical feeler I've ever met, which I guess is Ti working, and this is mainly why I find religion hard to accept.

Right now I'm Agnostic, as I do not say for certain religion is wrong, I am merely sceptical, I sometimes believe the universe is something different to what anyone has ever considered.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts