Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there INFJs!
We are supposed to have a peculiar interest and fascination for the images that our unconscious produces (that's the result of having a dominant Ni), images which usually manifest themselves in dreams and in reveries, rich in symbols and metaphors. I know that's how I am and have been ever since I was little but I know a couple of people who are (seem to be) INFJs according to tests they have taken but do not share my interest-fascination for dreams, reveries, symbols and metaphors...So I just want to ask if other INFJs here are more like me and have this sort of trait or...not.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Well, before you write them off, or they write them off, you might want to ask them why they don't care for them.

Perhaps they are using symbols and metaphors without actually knowing it. Perhaps they aren't even sure what it means in this regard.

---

If I were to do the wrong thing and assume for the rest of the INFJ population, I'd say the majority of us enjoy symbols and metaphors, because it broadens the topic of conversation. It turns the discussion from trees into forests. It opens our eyes to mystery and adventure.

I could say: Ni is about understanding topics on a more meaningful level.
Or I could say: Ni is like digging deep within a particular spot in the ocean, striving to find the bottom, to find the root of all that the ocean is.

To someone trying to understand what Ni is, the first seems more practical and useful; to someone who is more interested in the deepness of the thought, like INFJs, the latter would be desired, because it opens it up to much more than a single line on a notepad.

It also allows us to think differently from one another, which is something we shoot for.

Reactions: Alina

·
Registered
809 Posts
I am interested in dreams and metaphors and that sort of thing, but most of the time I keep those things to myself. In fact, I don't even dwell on those things every day. Maybe they have it, but don't show it. Sometimes, I feel like when I share these things they aren't as interesting to me anymore.

Reactions: Alina

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I certainly can relate to having an interest in symbols and metaphors. Finding meaning in just about anything is common. That said, I tend to not tie any meaning to my dreams. I know if I look at any dream long enough, I could find some sort of hidden meaning or message. I'd rather clarify my thoughts in more deliberate ways, primarily meditation and writing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and experiences, they are really useful as I really want to know how other INFJs deal with such things.
I don't want to "disqualify" other INFJs of their INFJness but it does intrigue me that they seem to be different...I know others could just be hiding this trait or maybe it is not so well developped or...I don't know, I want to explore the possibilities so thank you all for sharing! My best friend and my husband are both INFJs accordig to the tests they've taken online and they don't seem to share my fascination for the strange language of the psyche and they have no reasons to hide such things for fear of being considered too strange, given that we have intimate-trusting relationships ad I am rather overt about my peculiarity. My husband seems to not fit the INFJ typology lately but all the tests he has ever taken, as far as I remember, have said that he is one. Both my friend and my husband have a very rich inner life, filled with fantasies but...it is somehow different. Perhaps they haven't got a strong enough connnection to this side of themselves, I don't know. So I just want to know the variations...
Before I say more, I have to think more about what you have said.
Meanwhile, I highly recommend this video of Carl G. Jung explaining the workings of an introverted intuitive:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts