Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While INFJs and INFPs are both NF 'Idealists', INFJ shares Ni-dom with INTJ, and it sometimes seems INFJs respect or get a long with INTJs better than INFPs, and sometimes disparage or look down upon INFPs (okay a bit of a generalisation, and i don't feel offended lol). I'm curious how you, as an INFJ, perceive, get along with each type, and if you tend to prefer one over the other. If so would it depend if it's a friend, someone in your team, or a romantic partner. Which would you prefer for each?

Do you sometimes feel a bit 'in between' the two in terms of how emotional you are?

How would you compare and contrast them to each other and to your own type?

Which do you have more fulfilling intellectual discussions with?

Inquiring INFP wants to know.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
OK, I'm new to this INFP thing, but I think that based on observation of their forums (OMG STALKER !!!!11111oneoneoeneeleven), I'd get along better with them than INTJ or INFJ combined.

The lack of F really hurts in the feelings department, especially romance and one's ability to see romance. Even when it comes to friends, I still care a lot more about the F, because I may want to talk about complex feelings and I fear they may not be able to understand that I want to say. I know the NF types are dying for a rational partner/friend, but I find the lack in the feels department kinda off putting. But that's just me and I am willing to admit I'm defective.

Realistically speaking, INFP, ENFP and ISFJ are my thing, each for their own reasons. Notice the F. Thank you. :D

Reactions: Ninebirds

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, I'm new to this INFP thing, but I think that based on observation of their forums (OMG STALKER !!!!11111oneoneoeneeleven), I'd get along better with them than INTJ or INFJ combined.

The lack of F really hurts in the feelings department, especially romance and one's ability to see romance. Even when it comes to friends, I still care a lot more about the F, because I may want to talk about complex feelings and I fear they may not be able to understand that I want to say. I know the NF types are dying for a rational partner/friend, but I find the lack in the feels department kinda off putting. But that's just me and I am willing to admit I'm defective.

Realistically speaking, INFP, ENFP and ISFJ are my thing, each for their own reasons. Notice the F. Thank you. :D
INTJ and INFJ combined? How does that make sense? haha. I guess you mean in a very...nm

Dying for a rational partner? Maybe some. I'm kinda rational myself for an INFP, and I think I'd like someone like myself personally.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
Combined, as in INFP > INFJ + INTJ, not actually combined types as you can't really have that. :)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Hmm I feel a connection with both INTJs and INFPs, but it's a different type of connection.

My connection with INTJs is the sort of connection whereby we often share similar thoughts on many things and we also have this similar way of viewing this world. We can often understand each other easily without any spoken words needed. I often feel like a "misfit" in this world, but whenever I am around INTJs I feel that INTJs are able to "get" me easily without having me to explain myself. We often have this tendency to think in very similar ways and reach similar conclusion about things, although we tend to handle those conclusions differently (they handle situations with Te while I handle situations with Fe)

With INFPs, I feel that they are able to understand my emotions. I feel "safe" with them, I feel that they will never hurt me because they understand my emotions very well. With INFPs, I connect with them on an NF level. We are both sensitive to each others feelings and we seemed to share many similar NF values etc.

·
Registered
149 Posts
INTJs and INFPs are apples and oranges. It's not possible to compare, I mean, I connect with both of them in completely two different ways. Who I get along better depends on the individual not on the type.

However to provide an answer to the question, I can connect with INFPs in an emotional level. With INTJs, I really don't have to communicate a lot. We can understand each other without much talking.

·
Registered
570 Posts
While INFJs and INFPs are both NF 'Idealists', INFJ shares Ni-dom with INTJ, and it sometimes seems INFJs respect or get a long with INTJs better than INFPs, and sometimes disparage or look down upon INFPs (okay a bit of a generalisation, and i don't feel offended lol). I'm curious how you, as an INFJ, perceive, get along with each type, and if you tend to prefer one over the other. If so would it depend if it's a friend, someone in your team, or a romantic partner. Which would you prefer for each?

Do you sometimes feel a bit 'in between' the two in terms of how emotional you are?

Generally, INFJs and INFPs feel the way you've described about each other. Extroverted functions want to do things. Introverted functions want to be left alone. INFJ's Aux-Fe picks at the INFP's Dom-Fi and because it's weaker has little effect. INFP's Aux-Ne picks at the INFJ's Dom-Ni and because it's weaker has little effect. It's like a gentle nagging. Not especially frustrating, but ... you're aware of it and assume there's something more at work. There usually isn't.

To answer the question, I don't know any INTJs well enough. AmylaIvy's point about not needing to speak to them a great deal to connect holds true for me. A little too true. I know an INTJ and like the guy a lot. We never speak.

When it comes to INFPs, I enjoy our conversations a lot. I find it strange just how similar we can seem, yet how different we really are. I don't have a great deal to say about it really, but I find INFPs to be insightful, interesting, intelligent. And brilliantly kind.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I know one person i'm 100% sure is an INTJ and it's a funny (work-related) connection.
He loves to act like a purely rational being and seems to want to appear a robot without any human feelings around work at all. I think i've been one of the only people to pick through his armour on a few occassions because i didn't believe his act and he just stared back in a very: "how the hell are you doing this?"-way, which is quite fun :)

Not interested romantically personally, but i can see how this might work in close friendships/relationships. We can see through their armour, so we're not fooled and they might feel a bit more understood.

INFP is a different story, i think the dom-Fi aux-Fe will always clash. They want me to dig into my own emotions and that destabilizes me if done too much. They want me to have strong rational opinions about what i believe, and sometimes it's good, but i get frustrated when i don't find the words or links in tangible words.

You see it on the forum as well, i think the interactions INFJ-INTJ go a lot more smoothly than the INFJ-INFP. There are some INFPs who pass by frequently and their comments make me think and i appreciate that a lot, but there's always a bit more tension around from both sides (or so it seems).

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
One of my best friends is INFP. We have great conversations together. I love that she doesn't shy away from any question, and encourages me to express feelings. I think they're a great option for a friend. We've got that "similar on the outside/different on the inside" dynamic that keeps things interesting.

I don't think I would be successful in a relationship with an INFP. Fi-based decisions are baffling to me. And I need a lot more structure and more planning. With a friend, it's fine. Her decisions are hers, and it doesn't matter how she makes them. In a romantic relationship though, it would be quite frustrating to me.

An INTJ, on the other hand, is quite easy to make decisions with. That common Ni leads to effective communication, and my personal experience is that INTJs, while having Te in their stack, tend to have a fair amount of Ti, as well. The two functions make a great team: enough consideration to see strengths and flaws in plans, but also enough push for action that things get done.

I was raised by an INTJ dad, so I imagine my opinion is influenced by the fact that I've had a couple decades to learn how to communicate and compromise. When I met my ENTJ husband, there was an immediate sense of familiarity and easy communication. I can speak directly without fear of giving offense. Debates aren't laced with emotion. They have a purpose, and operate on an intellectual level. In a relationship, this makes things straightforward.

As far as Ti vs. Te making decisions, we always laugh because I will say in 4 sentences what he'll say in 1. But we consistently reach the same conclusion, albeit through different routes. Our speed in resolving problems is similar, whereas the INFPs I know let things simmer much longer. The things they do that lowers their stress (like putting a decision off for a later time) make me more stressed. The things I do to lower stress (like immediately discuss and work toward a solution) make them more stressed. So I prefer to remain friends/coworkers with INFPs.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Lots of good observation and insights :) LOVE!

INFP vs. INTJ

I echo the sentiment in piercing armor aspect. INTJ types don't scare me with their poker face, clipped tone, and robotic ways. It's the efficient Te and hidden Fi. It's Ni-dom that really floored me.

On a social/work level, this Ni-dom doesn't vibrate much. However, if there's a romantic tension, OMG! It feels like I was under a high voltage electric pole.

Fe must diall down and to find hidden Fi
Te must be patient with looping Ti

If so, it's not hard to be in love with a balanced INTJ.

INFP's Fi-dom seems stubborn to me. I get it clear and loud. I admire it because it's a strong personal belief (has nothing to do with moral). INFP's Fi-Ne can get into long convos with INFJ's Ni-Fe that's for sure.

I don't know about dating an INFP though. I don't think I was ever attracted to a guy who's an INFP. (Person first, type second)

As long as ppl are mature and well developed in their cognitive functions, there should be any problem getting along at work and socially.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I get along great with healthy INFPs and INTJs, but holy jesus do immature ones drive me nuts. INFPs at their worst can be irrationally dogmatic on useless issues and take everything as a personal offense, and INTJs at their worst can be narcissistic bullies who take joy in bringing down every living thing around them down a peg or two or ten.

At their best, INFPs are sensitive, clever, kind, idealistic, and creatively poetic. INTJs are competent, comprehending of all viewpoints, fair, and have a piercing intellect that keeps all conversations and debates and discussions on point.

Its all health and maturity, each type has pitfalls and strengths, I wouldn't worry too much about

"Does type XXXX work with my XXXX type?"

and

"Does XXXX like XXXX more than XXXX because I am an XXXX and I really like XXXX and I dated an XXXX once but i dont know if it will work with this XXXX?"

·
Registered
INFJ 3w2 Sx/So
3,373 Posts
I have a lot of INFP friends, so I obviously get along with them well enough. They're good for intellectual/intuitive conversation, and they can be pretty good with emotional support too.

I do get somewhat irked by manifestations of Fi (projecting their feelings onto others, placing their feelings as top priority at inappropriate times, etc. No type is perfect), and they can have a hard time understanding my Fe, which causes some problems. One of my INFP friends told my boyfriend that she was bothered that she has no idea how to communicate with me or comfort me when I'm stressed out, and I can understand where she's coming from. Us INFJs are weird.

Like I said, I have a lot of INFP friends. I probably wouldn't date one (1. I don't see it working out because of the whole Fi thing 2. I'm already dating an ENFP and don't plan on breaking that off), though.

If I'm going to be honest, I prefer the company of INTJs, and I have an easier time connecting with them. They're my "sibling" type -- sharing Ni as a top function -- so I feel like I can relate with them in a way that I can't with other types. I also appreciate them for their assertiveness and confidence, which are qualities that INFJs struggle with at times.

But, again, no type is perfect. INTJs also use Fi, but it almost always manifests in unhealthy ways. As an Fe-user, I get incredibly frustrated with my INTJ friends whenever they decide to do something that comes off as cold or callous. They're also more likely than an INFP to make self-centered decisions, which is something that typically goes against an INFJ's core standards.

INTJs are rare, unfortunately, so I'm not as friends with as many as I'd like. I was best friends with one for years, but our relationship has waned as of late due to life circumstances. Also, we seem to get into arguments every time we talk nowadays (a common problem among INFJs and INTJs, apparently). I dated him for a little while, but it didn't work out. He was too clingy for my tastes. You wouldn't expect that from an INTJ, but if they get attached, they get attached.

INFPs and INTJs no doubt have a lot of problems with INFJs, too. Again, INFJs are weird. Really weird.

·
Registered
25,985 Posts
I'm curious how you, as an INFJ, perceive, get along with each type, and if you tend to prefer one over the other. If so would it depend if it's a friend, someone in your team, or a romantic partner. Which would you prefer for each?
I don't actually know any INFP's or INTJ's in real life, but if I had to choose one as a romantic partner; It would probably be the INTJ who has their Fe(?) developed.

As for friends, I think both have their merits.

On a team, definitely the INTJ. My own feelings are enough to deal with, and I could always use another set of brains better than my own to figure out problems.

Yes, and at both extremes.

I don't know enough of either type to make any real judgements, so I just assume the stereotypes.

I haven't had a chance with either.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Actually pondered about this a few days ago when I was thinking about my INFP friends and INTJ friend. (I only have one INTJ friend, I think, INTJs are really rare.)

Agree with a lot already said up there, but just a bit more of my own thoughts:

INFPs: With INFPs, it is comfortable and fun as it is with most NFs, but especially so because I personally feel less self-conscious around INFs than ENFs. I know how emotional my INFP friends can get, so I'm really not afraid to share when I'm feeling emotional too, which is usually not the case with some other types. And I think we both have a really rich inner world/imagination that makes it easy for me to share my 'weirder' thoughts that I would normally feel a bit embarrassed to share. At the same time, I find myself often disagreeing with some their opinions, usually due to a Fi-Fe clash, but it's easy for me to let it slide and just kind of "mm" in understanding, unless it's a severe clash of opinions.

INTJs: With INTJs, I can't do that haha. Perhaps it is because they are less overtly emotional and more logical in their arguments, but we both feel a need to argue and rationalise our opinions. So it's not so comfortable. But when we see eye to eye, it's brilliant. It just clicks, and we can get on the same wavelength on a 'deeper level' really easily.

·
Master
1,886 Posts
While INFJs and INFPs are both NF 'Idealists', INFJ shares Ni-dom with INTJ, and it sometimes seems INFJs respect or get a long with INTJs better than INFPs, and sometimes disparage or look down upon INFPs (okay a bit of a generalisation, and i don't feel offended lol).
I'm curious how you, as an INFJ, perceive, get along with each type, and if you tend to prefer one over the other. If so would it depend if it's a friend, someone in your team, or a romantic partner. Which would you prefer for each?
If it's a friend INFP, Team member INTJ, Romantic partner INFP. I like how driven INTJ are but I've always had trouble getting them to relax. I find that talking with them eventually leads to a debate and an exercise in symantics.

No, I'm 100% NF and would be an INFP if I wasn't INFJ.

I find that INFP are softer, warmer and more child like compared to INFJ who are a bit more serious, cold and logical. Both types are NFs and that puts us in the same social realm where we have intense feelings, a want to help people and use strong intuition to find our way.

INTJ on the other hand I find have the same intensity and depth of knowledge on topics. Lead Ni and inferior Se are where we find common ground but will have conflict when objective logic butts heads with subjective. The big gap between INFJ and INTJ is NT vs NF (duh?), INTJ are quite cold and lack social grace where the INFJ is cold or warm by choice and is extremely socially aware.

I've found that I have more fulfilling discussions with INTJ as they are a wealth of knowledge and aren't afraid to share it. They astound me with their depth and brilliant minds. One must be careful around them though and only use objective logic or the conversation quickly becomes a debate.

I find I struggle to have a fulfilling conversation with INFP as the depth I'm looking for isn't there, even though the feeling side is more than adequate. There's always this odd disconnect I have with INFP and I struggle to really get the ball rolling.

·
Registered
25,985 Posts
Reactions: Octavius Magnus

·
Registered
510 Posts

Boy, what a fun topic. :)

The interesting thing about INFP-INFJ dynamic is that, whereas they differ only by a letter (J-P), they have zilch cognitive functions in common (Analogously in T realm; INTP and INTJ with no shared functions). They share a "general temperament" (INF), yet strangely, all of their natural inclinations get out of sync. When too close, their dance stutters, each having trouble knowing when to take a step and when not to. They mean well, of course, and they themselves know that, but somehow it's always difficult for them to synchronize up close.

And..., there is my type (INTJ) in between these two types, sharing one or two functions with each type. For me personally, each type has merits of their own, and each would "sync up" different aspects of my natural inclinations. With INFPs, since we are both still silly children at heart (just with definitive personal ideals and principles, Nx & Fi), my mind would find some peace in simplicity of this relationship. With INFJs, Ni-Se works as a powerful bridge between two hidden worlds, and I would feel less lonely in life knowing that I've met people who view the world with the same complexity as I do.

- Extra Runaway Thoughts:​

I often wondered: what is it that makes a natural interface between two individuals? And when I thought about INF temperament relative to my own temperament and type, it became quite clear there INTJ-INFP interface and INTJ-INFJ interface both show patterns that can be equally applied to INFJ-INTP and INFJ-INTJ relationships.

If you care to imagine a particular scenario..., say, if I were to be in a relationship with an INFP or an INFJ (which I am, incidentally, lol). When I'm in a good mood, I would occasionally ask this person to dance with me since I'm in such a good spirit. In that moment of childlike playfulness, I'll likely do a gentleman's bow and start to hum a waltz piece. If you notice, this type of initiation is mostly a behavior based on Fi; because, without any social context, I'm in a good mood all by myself (humming & dancing by myself and what not. Fe-users generally don't do this, they usually observe Fi-users genuinely self-express like this and get amused along.). The key point here is that depending on whether this person is an INFP or an INFJ, the overall dynamic will vary based on different characteristics.

For an INFP, this type of spontaneous self-expression is in the familiar zone (Fi-Ne), and she'll willingly or maybe shyly dance along with me, but still more or less naturally. Overall, shared Fi plays a key role here; to acknowledge and synchronize with other acts of individualistic or collaborated expression. If you closely observe this Fi-Fi interaction, you'd notice that it's not necessarily concerned about inclusive bonding (as would Fe-Fe), but rather more about immersing into an idealistic picture the two of us are spontaneously painting. (Fi likes to envision within itself an idealistic flow of things based on personal values. In many ways, non-physical aesthetics and beauty appeals greatly to Fi-Nx, and genuine intimate moments like such are personally very precious. This shared appreciation toward a collaborative, mutual ideals rings truer than the actual person-to-person bond itself, which is quite peculiar when you think about it, but that's how INTJs and INFPs get along. Because it's a beautiful moment, and that is entirely sufficient.)

As for an INFJ, my lone dancing/singing would be a curious behavior, which in turn, amuses her. Strangely for Fe-users, displayed feelings are somehow contagious, thus her initial amusement quickly gets molded into one resembling my current individual expression. Spontaneity... is not a strong suit for INFJs, and it would feel comparatively less natural for her to dance along. You'd notice that she's closely watching my expression as we dance to assimilate into what I'm feeling. There is very little, if not none at all, individualistic expression of her own because, again, Fi self-expression is generally foreign to Fe. Nonetheless, she'll be happy that I'm in such a good mood, just not in a Fi-Fi way of collaboration; more like Fi (individualistic expression) absorbed by Fe (observing and consorting feelings).

INFP having dominant Fi is not always a good thing in life, though. It has many possible ways to lead to personal stress, tears, and broken hearts (in a way they can be the most fragile type among all MBTI types). Many beautiful dreams and ideals crushed with harsh reality of things because they're not generally as resourceful as XXTJ people (what is yearned with heart seldom actualize into being, what tragedy.). In romantic relationships, I think female XXFPs and male XXTJs notably match up well due to their shared Fi and dominance dynamics (FP sensitivity/passivity vs. TJ sternness/activity). That is to say that FP knows how to freely receive love and care whereas FJ tends to have a strange convulsion to "pay back" received love and care as if such thing is some sort of debt/currency (One thing I noticed about Fe is that it often has trouble understanding unconditional love and giving).

However, in the end, it just so happens that I believe there is little beauty being weak, if I were to generalize the female INFP spectrum as "weaker" (and I don't mean that disdainfully; just a general comparative notion). Opposing qualities like decisiveness, structure, and goal-orientation found in female INFJ spectrum generally appeals more to me, and I can tell from my experiences that shared Ni-Se greatly facilitates communication as long as both remain respectful to Fe-Ti & Te-Fi way of dealing things. (I think it'll be quite a fun ride together. :p)

·
Registered
25,985 Posts
@Nox

- Extra Runaway Thoughts:​
If you care to imagine a particular scenario..., say, if I were to be in a relationship with an INFP or an INFJ (which I am, incidentally, lol). When I'm in a good mood, I would occasionally ask this person to dance with me since I'm in such a good spirit. In that moment of childlike playfulness, I'll likely do a gentleman's bow and start to hum a waltz piece. If you notice, this type of initiation is mostly a behavior based on Fi; because, without any social context, I'm in a good mood all by myself (humming & dancing by myself and what not. Fe-users generally don't do this, they usually observe Fi-users genuinely self-express like this and get amused along.). The key point here is that depending on whether this person is an INFP or an INFJ, the overall dynamic will vary based on different characteristics.

If you closely observe this Fi-Fi interaction, you'd notice that it's not necessarily concerned about inclusive bonding (as would Fe-Fe), but rather more about immersing into an idealistic picture the two of us are spontaneously painting. (Fi likes to envision within itself an idealistic flow of things based on personal values. In many ways, non-physical aesthetics and beauty appeals greatly to Fi-Nx, and genuine intimate moments like such are personally very precious.
Does this mean that with Fi-Fi relationships, partners base their depth of love depending on how valuable the memories they've shared are, rather than who their partner is?

As for an INFJ, my lone dancing/singing would be a curious behavior, which in turn, amuses her. Strangely for Fe-users, displayed feelings are somehow contagious, thus her initial amusement quickly gets molded into one resembling my current individual expression. Spontaneity... is not a strong suit for INFJs, and it would feel comparatively less natural for her to dance along. You'd notice that she's closely watching my expression as we dance to assimilate into what I'm feeling. There is very little, if not none at all, individualistic expression of her own because, again, Fi self-expression is generally foreign to Fe. Nonetheless, she'll be happy that I'm in such a good mood, just not in a Fi-Fi way of collaboration; more like Fi (individualistic expression) absorbed by Fe (observing and consorting feelings).
This is a great observation from an outside perspective. It's quite hilarious to imagine, because you are watching her reactions to watching you and your actions.

I think female XXFPs and male XXTJs notably match up well due to their shared Fi and dominance dynamics (FP sensitivity/passivity vs. TJ sternness/activity). That is to say that FP knows how to freely receive love and care whereas FJ tends to have a strange convulsion to "pay back" received love and care as if such thing is some sort of debt/currency (One thing I noticed about Fe is that it often has trouble understanding unconditional love and giving).
Yes, that makes a lot of sense. However, I would like to suggest that the understanding of unconditional love isn't necessarily to do with Fe but a person's own idea of what that means. As for things always being calculated like debt/currency, rings true from my experience.

Very informative write up, thank you.

Reactions: Ethanol and Nox

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
Update: It seems my theories are being slowly confirmed. INFP, me likey, it just works, man. Oh... Oooooh... OOOOOOOOHHHH... Meditation time, gotta go, it just hit me. Gotta do some research into the INFP mind. Gotta google for stuff, reasons, explanations.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts