Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any of you who work in art/graphics design/animation?

I am an INTP and I am wondering about a few things.

First, I am INTP with Fe like INFJs. Do you find yourself checking other people's art or websites to make sure your art is "acceptable"? Do you feel like you need to follow a style and not really do your own style? Has anyone overcome that? Did it help you to get more jobs/projects or advance your career?

Any idea of what seems to be the "styles of the day" in art/graphics/animation?

I also like to write sometimes. I know for certain INFJs write. Is anyone making money by writing? What types of things (literature, blogs, product reviews)? Did you get a job for writing just by submitting your writing? Or was it your skill in interview that helped?

Anything to know about what works and doesn't in doing a writing career?

Please answer at least one line on whatever you want.

Thank you

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
How can you be an INTP with Fe like an INFJ? Does not compute.

I am in the design arena and no I do not check other peoples artwork to see if mine is acceptable, quite the contrary, i don't care what other people are doing and draw on my own creativity.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I am an artist among other things and I found myself looking to other artists in the beginning because I was worried that my art was not very good. Later however I stopped caring about other people's art and developed my own style. I used to worry that my art was not unique enough, but now that I do not care about that I would say that I ended up developing a great style all my own. I also write and I am not at all concerned about other people's writing unless it is so that I might enjoy it. My best work comes when I am just enjoying myself and not concerned about what others think or about their art.

The style nowadays is the style that has always been. Aesthetically appealing art will sell, it must have great composition, contrast. You just need to be able to look at it and recognize that it is somehow interesting or pleasing, regardless of the style. Even if the art form is very abstract and messy, the viewer will find it pleasing if there is a sort of rythm to it. I find that the mainstream values clean lines, bold colors and an overall "professional" feel.

I'm sorry if this pisses anyone off but it has been my experience that you can make money off of anything if you just believe you will and don't even think about it. Just do your thing and firmly believe that there will be an audience for your art or writing, and that you will make money.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Interesting question. INTP and ENTP both have Fe. It's just a 4th function.
No, ENTP have it as their 3rd function while INTP have it as a 4th function as otherwise they would share Ti as the dominant function and the universe would implode as logic goes out the window. INFJs have it as a 2nd function as order matters here in terms of being able to use the types and thus all 3 types are quite different in some ways.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
Are there any of you who work in art/graphics design/animation?

I am an INTP and I am wondering about a few things.

First, I am INTP with Fe like INFJs. Do you find yourself checking other people's art or websites to make sure your art is "acceptable"? Do you feel like you need to follow a style and not really do your own style? Has anyone overcome that? Did it help you to get more jobs/projects or advance your career?

Any idea of what seems to be the "styles of the day" in art/graphics/animation?

I also like to write sometimes. I know for certain INFJs write. Is anyone making money by writing? What types of things (literature, blogs, product reviews)? Did you get a job for writing just by submitting your writing? Or was it your skill in interview that helped?

Anything to know about what works and doesn't in doing a writing career?

Please answer at least one line on whatever you want.

Thank you
Don't get caught up in stereotypes. There are tons of introverted thinker artists out there. The motion graphics and animation business is like Ti-dom city. Same with visual effects community, title sequence design, etc. I would make argument, from personal experience, of people like David Fincher, Tim Burton, and Joseph Kosinski, all being Introverted Thinking types. Jung himself was an artist and a Ti-dom. Spend anytime around architects and you will find yourself in a lot of company of Ti-types. Don't think that things like art and design are the sole domain of Feeling types, or that just because Feeling is your inferior function it means you cannot be creative or artistic. If anything these people tend to be more perfectionistic.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Animator here.

No, I don't check to see that my art is acceptable. I do look at websites and such to get inspiration/guide me, but I think that's my Ni at work, because i'm trying to find all the pieces so that i know what is possible, and then form something of my own from it.

I also check my work in comparison to others to make sure I'm not falling vastly behind on quality, but the quality is my own determination, rather than being a 'does this meet their standards?' kinda thing.

Extroverted feeling is your *inferior* function.
Pretty sure he meant as an INTP, he has Fe in common with INFJs, not that his Fe is identical to yours >.>.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
A lot of this shouldn't be chalked up to Fe either. A lot of us who do this stuff professionally understand the difference between art and design. We understand that ultimately it is the approval of the one who is paying us whose opinion matters. That's how we keep the lights on and fed. It's not necessarily a matter of bending one's will to the vicissitudes of culture (which is something people are often accused of - of being "sell outs") but rather the understanding that there is also a professional and business component to this. That's why those of us who went through design school had the dreaded critiques. Even "artists" these days have agents who pitch their work to galleries, etc. Very few people who work in creative fields get to truly do whatever they want even at the highest levels.

·
Registered
258 Posts
A lot of this shouldn't be chalked up to Fe either. A lot of us who do this stuff professionally understand the difference between art and design. We understand that ultimately it is the approval of the one who is paying us whose opinion matters. That's how we keep the lights on and fed. It's not necessarily a matter of bending one's will to the vicissitudes of culture (which is something people are often accused of - of being "sell outs") but rather the understanding that there is also a professional and business component to this. That's why those of us who went through design school had the dreaded critiques. Even "artists" these days have agents who pitch their work to galleries, etc. Very few people who work in creative fields get to truly do whatever they want even at the highest levels.
Absolutely true. It's tough to balance out (especially for those of us who base our artistic endeavors on feelings of what we like doing) to really subordinate those feelings and say that "I have to do this to pay the bills..." because otherwise, I'm not going to be able to do that". But ultimately it's a decision that you have to do this to survive. it's not "selling out". It's a matter of survival. Having had to deal with Social Anxiety Disorder, I just couldn't be around people for very long. That's why I do what I do in wildlife photography. It doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of money, but it's enjoyable. Kudos to those who can make a living at the "social" genres of photographic or drawn arts because I can't. My nature is too volatile and too short-tempered to be sociable. As you can see on my personality chart my introvertedness and judgemental are maxed completely out with no P or no Extroversion to balance it out.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@rosegeranium

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I used to worry that my art was not unique enough, but now that I do not care about that I would say that I ended up developing a great style all my own.
I hope you're right. The more you succeed the more confidence you have to do your own thing.

it has been my experience that you can make money off of anything if you just believe you will and don't even think about it. Just do your thing and firmly believe that there will be an audience for your art or writing, and that you will make money.
I'm going to try this. I've never thought of this. If it works, great.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@LiquidLight

Thanks for pointing that out. It is true that animation especially and perhaps film graphics are very much Ti-dominated cities. That gives me encouragement to continue exploring working in art (my main source of income is something technical but I feel like I need to break free and do something exploratory rather than balancing pros and cons to find the "optimal" method for x,y,z).

You are right about Ti and perfectionism. I feel my art based on light and dark, and shades and quick shading tends to be of higher quality and more enjoyable than the things I analyze out step by step.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Sedem

I also check my work in comparison to others to make sure I'm not falling vastly behind on quality, but the quality is my own determination, rather than being a 'does this meet their standards?' kinda thing.

You're right. I think that is a better purpose for checking. I just want to make sure I can create the same types of animations and effects that are common or required nowadays. I think that should be the only "framework" to work inside of. The rest is your personal creativity.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts